[Discussion] Favorite Character

For me, this character comes from a failed RP that I turned into a fan fic (reviews/views or not, I am very proud of it).

The character in question is Christina Yates.  I don't think I've ever appreciated creating a character more than her.  I took some of my own personal desires and interests, as well as some things that would be completely opposite of myself and compared them.  This is her original design and it hasn't changed much since she was created for the original RP.  But regarding the first Alive, she took me quite a while to come up with.  And when I had put her together, I was beyond joyful.

This character is very important to me, for reasons I'm struggling to explain.  Rest assured, I plan to use her to the fullest.

Well, in regards to my favorite character I've ever RPed as, it would be someone who isn't actually a character I've ever used on ycm. They were a person named Richard from an RP elsewhere, and this was from my earlier days or RPing so at base the character was pretty much just a small ball of tropes and my writing was likely worse than it is today, but I think he was my best regardless. Probably the reason I enjoyed him so much is simply because the sheer amount of growth he underwent over the course of the RP. To give a quick summary on ol' Richard, he basically started out as a super lazy and somewhat apathetic person who didn't actually care too much about the conflict that he was involved in. He didn't really speak all that much, was very monotone, and overall he, and I for that matter, were very go with the flow. Overall you likely could just remove him from the RP and it probably wouldn't have been any different. However, by the end of the RP (because this one did end by some miracle,) he had become probably the single most proactive member of the group who had a huge hand in some of the more crucial moments towards the end. So overall, I really like him because of how much he developed over the course of the RP. 

As for my favorite character I've ever written on ycm, it's kind of a tossup really. I don't think I've ever had enough experience with a singular character to feel like I've accomplished something/enough with them, nor do I feel like they've ever really evolved past their beginning nature, or if they had it probably wasn't naturally done. That's not to say I hate everyone I write, cause overall a good majority of the characters I write I find easy to do so and enjoyable at that, (though there are who I didn't feel all that connected to.) But picking a favor is basically impossible for me.

The same kind of idea extends to my favorite character that I've ever seen RPed as, (because I can be positive that my favorite character in writing is not one I've written.) It's basically incredibly hard for me to think of who my favorite would be because there are a lot of characters that I like or think are good or enjoyable or what have you, but it's not like I can pick from that pot and just decide one as the definitive best I've seen. This is likely because there's no real instance when I can look at a character from beginning to end and truly think they were the best of those I enjoyed and I don't think there's been a character that has just completely captured my attention every time they've appeared on screen and out shined everyone else (and I don't mean in a spotlight hog kind of way.) That and picking favorites is just really hard in general. 

Overall that's my take on this whole thing. 

I can't actually say I have a single character that happens to be my favorite. There were too many I liked playing as during the course of the four years I've been on YCM for. Most of the ones I'm listing right now are from more recent RPs. (I've a bad memory, alright? Shut up.) But anyway... here is a list of the most prominent characters that I remembered enjoying when I played them.

Maverick Iwanage from Yugioh: Counting to Infinity (I think that was what the RP was called? I can't remember :/)

Sarah Freon from Tierra del Diablo

LERNA from Puella Magi Yuki Magica

Shanna Keynes from Legend Moon (she was also in Legend Blood, but didn't accomplish a hell of a lot)

Saori Toyama from Ludum de Morte

Stellar Fitzgerald from Clockwork Souls

Destiny Barrach from Alive: The Southern Suffering

Ace High from Undertakers

Skyler Gallegos & Irina Tsvyk from my own RWBY RP

Megoshi Sagara from Cherry Heart

I was particularly dismayed, however, that I didn't get much of a chance to develop Megoshi in a specific quest before Cherry Heart was shut down, since I had such great plans for Megoshi in particular, and she suffered from having the least development of all the characters I just listed. Saori was the second least since Ludum died rather too quickly as well, and also because I was sitting on one guy this whole time which was my fault.

I might host another RP and rework Megoshi into it once NaNoWriMo comes to a close. And I'm hoping Ludum gets rebooted at that time or something along the same lines comes along so I can reuse Saori as well. I want the chance to re-establish their characters and build on them, damn it! DX

Personally I might have to say Kasayee from Cherry Heart, or Naomi from various Pokemon RPs. Due to just enjoying their characters so much. They think much differently from your average character and I loved every post with them.

However Camille, originally from Hotel Atlantica, has a place in my heart due to being my first.

Valerie from two failed RPs never got to shine but she was also fun to write. And she had a lot in her head I wanted to explore.

I've really only RPed for 3 years, and so I don't have much choice here. From all my characters, there are 2 (3) that have quite a special meaning for me. One (two) was a character that, while weren't really fully mine, per se, taught me a lot of what I know now from my experience playing them even if their path wasn't something I'm really proud of, while the other one was a character that was pretty much a culmination of my experience, and I had the most fun playing her even if I couldn't do it for long.

So the first ones. I'm not really comfortable in saying who it is because of...reasons. She was my second RP character overall, and I played with her for roughly one and a half year because this RP I played her went on for (way too) long. At first, I wasn't that attached to her and the traits I gave her was what was expected of her, but along the way I started to appreciate her more and more. Although that came with the cost of a gigantic plot tumor that pretty much made me operate on my own for most of the RP (I was new, took me a while to stop having that as a habit), I started to plan more and more things with her. I planned her character development, I planned her downfall. Her breakdowns, slowly but surely realizing how far she had gone from her righteous path. I gained the preference of torturing my own character because I wrote her.  And in the end, I planned for her end, the culmination of all the thing she had gone through, and for me, even if it wasn't the best thing I've written, I'm glad for that. She was, pretty much, the embodiment of the path I took as a roleplayer. She embodied my own growth. I made mistakes with her, a lot of it. But just how much she had defined my roleplaying experience made me always appreciate her even if she's not fully my creation, and not really my proudest one either.

Another half of the previous character was...uh, a knock off of sort. Long story short I used a loophole to had a character that was similar to that previous character in the same RP because the previous one's set to die already, would be too long to explain my reasoning. She's not exactly something I originally made either, kinda. Her situation's complicated. But point was, I was also being ambitious with her. I attempted a lot of things with her, several narrative features and ways to integrating one-off jokes into something more serious and vital, and her character growth was also one of my proudest as I managed to get her character path done in the two years I played her. Of course, here I also made a lot of mistakes. I still went off on my own instead of well, actually roleplaying with people a lot of times, and I spent way too much time torturing this one. it felt cathartic, but I learned that it wasn't good for the narrative to overdo it. In the end, she came off as a weaker and worse character than the previous one, but I also really appreciate her. I managed to turn a similar character into a very different path just by changing one or two fundamental thing about them, and I managed to complete her story. It's an achievement in itself, and her personal last fight was a piece of writing I feel the proudest of, despite of its many flaws.

Of course, getting stuck with the same character for years tend to do bad things to your thought, and especially if they're someone you like to write, and so due to the ridiculously slow pace of the roleplay where both of those characters were in, I ended up replicating them in other RPs I'm in, in a way so I can keep posting as them somewhere. Of course, every time I tried something different with them, and they would end up very different from one another. However, my appreciation to them also varied as a result.

My proudest creation so far is Angela from Cherry Heart. Alright, she actually won the "most unoriginal concept ever" on my part. She started off as a complete joke. The character was originally a copy paste of a derivative character from a character that was a derivative of someone else (the character I first mentioned here). Her two main abilities were both total in-jokes: her Wind magic was based on something from the RP featuring the derivative that was derived from, while her dimensional interaction ability was a big joke to my own tendency to copy paste the same characters a lot of time, while also referencing the plot tumor featuring the first mentioned character here. Her sex maniac tendencies were pretty much based on my thought of having her title being Heaven's Hole would be hilarious.

But, from that pile of joke, she grew up to be my most in-depth character, and she was a blast to write too. She combined my tendency to play "unrealistic characters seen on a realistic point of view" and enough sense of outward normalcy to make her feel relatable instead of too alien to be sympathized. She was able to be both very tragic without it being overbearing on the narrative and still being the butt of jokes due to the things she do. And it's fun torturing her and I can now properly balance the sessions! It's quite disappointing that I can't play with her more, I have a lot of plans for her and her development in the future. You can say that she, in the end, was the culmination of the concept I started off three years ago.

Though right now, Ciela from Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess was close to be up there too. I'm not with her for that long yet, but she's been a blast to write. She's a lot more toned down than Angela and I wasn't being ambitious with her, but perhaps it's because me writing her based on how I was as a child that made writing her felt really fun.

And hey, a haughty noble brat that barely had any idea of the world felt like the best kind of character to torture. It's quite natural after all to do it. Only writers that truly love their characters would torture them with their heart.

Well, since everyone's been putting in on this I think I'll note my favorite characters I've played as well. I have three I can't really decide between, and I'll link to the apps for all of them.

Eileen Burke: The character I made to participate in Demon Blood: From Russia with Love. Ignore the fact that her pictures are missing, I deleted my Photobucket account about a year or so after I made her. In any case, while this character is more or less an expy from Bloodborne, which is an excellent game, I was able to put a little twist on how I play her. Well, maybe it's not much of a twist considering a fair amount of the player base has this idea of her being kind of a motherly person. Whatever the case, I had fun playing a character who looked after the younger characters and had enough skill in combat to make facing her a frightening proposition.

James Riesland: I'm sorry to remind you of this RP, CowCow, but my attempt at making a bug catcher into someone who ought to be taken seriously was one of the most fun experiences I've had RPing on this site. James was sort of a detachment from my usual trope of characters, in that he really wasn't very able in and of himself and had to rely not just on his Pokémon but also on other people in order to get through things on account of being physically frail. Still, I had a lot of fun playing the most badass bug catcher to ever catch bugs. Only issue is the RP he was in died a slow, painful death because the host decided to vanish and didn't tell CowCow, who was our co-host, about any of the plans for the future of it.

Edrick Roranson: A character I made for an RP based on a game series which I knew absolutely fucking nothing about! That aside, I've actually had a whole lot of fun playing a character who has some serious room to grow. As anyone can say, most of the time I make characters who are already really really good at what they're going to do, and that tends to make for a lack of interesting development with them. They've already gone through that awkward stage where they aren't really good at things and they came out of that better for having been there. Edrick here is a departure from that, and to be honest I funking love him for it. He's a character who's fun to play, even when he's sucking at something. In fact, especially when he's sucking at something. That, and the fact that he's nowhere near developed into what he's going to end up being means I'm constantly having ideas as to what to do with him. Also, his sprite looks like it's holding a giant paintbrush!

2wmRgTV.png

Just look at it! This thing just makes me happy every time I see it, and because Seth puts so much effort into mapping out every combat we have I get to see it a lot. So yeah, I like Edrick because he kinda sucks at a lot of things so I have to get clever and work around what he sucks at. Also we have an excellent host in that RP.

I've made countless RP characters over the course of my internet experience, most of them not on this site, so I won't list them for practicality purposes. However, the first one that really meant anything to me here was Alaric Capell from Pokemon: Transcendence. The two prior to him never really got to be used. Casper joined a dying RP and Corinne's RP suffered from Host Departure syndrome. However, before he got busy, Renegade ran that RP for a decent amount of time, and I really enjoyed being able to expand on his personality the way I wanted. I got really attached to his sociopathic arrogance in all but name, and I've considered rehashing him for a different RP, but something stops me every time for some reason. Like, he was so well fitted for that RP that I have a hard time seeing him in any other RP. I suppose if another RP with that kind of setting shows up, I might reuse him, but for now he remains in the bin of "past characters."

Another character I grew to love, but for different reasons, was Matthias from Lore Online. Through him, I got to learn a lot more about botany than I used to, and I'm actually growing a plant right now, using some of the tips I learned through researching his character. Also it was through him that I really got to spread my wings and get to know a variety of people. Though I suppose Sophia Joy from Pokemon: Expedition Acahra was the precursor to that. To this day I still consider everybody from that RP friends or at least friendly acquaintances.

Noah Evans is another character I enjoy, but for different reasons. He's probably the character that hit the closest to home for me. Writing him was cathartic in a way, because it let me know that I wasn't the only person who experienced the problems he did, and felt a bit like baring my soul for the world to see. However, just like his powers, he went out in a blaze of glory due once more to lack of host interest.

Manami Saito I enjoyed mainly because of her unique writing style. Unlike the others who were more intellectual or passionate, childish or street-smart, she was poetic, the style of writing I enjoy the most. Lyrical writing is always a joy for me, and it felt nice to be able to actually do that, for it to be in character and not jarring. I also enjoyed Jeule Lanfranc, and am a bit disappointed I couldn't do more with him, as he was going to be the wise sage type.

Currently, compared to past characters, there really isn't anybody I particularly enjoy writing. Easter is probably the most interesting, but his flighty yet dominant personality is in fact more headache-inducing than anything else. Ari is an adorable cinnamon roll with a bite, and Suiten is a weird combination of a kid at heart trying to be an adult and only somewhat succeeding. Catriona is almost robotic, yet undeniably human with all the faults that come with it. However, as I host the RP she's in, I concentrate on the story and the interactions between all the characters more than her own personal development. Gilly is fun but her unending energy and boundless enthusiasm gets a bit tiring for me. Yao is the calmest of my characters, and I find a bit of sanity in his common-sense conclusions and sheer normality compared to the others. Even if he does have a few problems of his own, they're well within the boundaries of what normal, everyday people experience. So yeah, I'd say I enjoy writing for him the most of my current characters and I probably should try my hand at writing more normal characters if this is the feeling I get from that.

Archived