The Quality of Box Art?

Unbelievably Klane

I've noticed recently that box art on video games SUCK these days, like they actually suck.

Prime Example: Doom 4, so generic it became a "Insert title here" meme. Thank funk there's another cover on the reverse that is about 40000000x more interesting.

But even worse are games that have art related (By the publisher or IN THE GAME ITSELF) that is so much better.

EXAMPLES:

MGSV: The Phantom Pain

[spoiler=Default Case]

mgsv-box-art-hideo-kojima.jpg

This is boring as funk, quite frankly, and a quick Bing search (Yes bing) brings up a million and one more interesting boxarts, most of which include the artwork of Yoji Shinkawa.

About a year later, Konami release the 'Definitive Experience', a 29.99 bundle that has TPP and GZ in one package. Here's the art for it

[spoiler=Definitive Experience]

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Definitive-Experi

Look at how INTERESTING this is!! Look at the sheer amount of content on it! It's INTERESTING! If I saw this game on a shelf and I didn't know what MGS was, I'd buy this! No doubt!

Another example, perhaps more recent than Mobile Gundam Suit V:The Phallic Progeny (Lel), Deus Ex: Mankind Divided...

[spoiler=Ex De: Apartheid Themes]

81kwukdcXBL._SL1500_-720x901.jpg

So rather than taking a queue from every other Deus Ex game ever, we intead oversaturate the cover with bland and uninteresting bollocks, with a generic action pose in the middle. There's no artistic merit here, just a bunch of CG models superimposed on a black background, whereas the TPP:DE cover is artwork which is done in smart ways, interesting use of colour, so on and so forth...

Now here's the Title Screen.

[spoiler=Press Start]

tumblr_oclau6y0sg1syzncmo1_1280.png

Would you look at that! A meaningful piece of artwork that has artistic merit in terms of technique and style that also introduces the theme of Augs VS Humans (i.e apartheid) that the game uses. Why not do a Vanquish and make it a horizontal artwork? Have the gold of Jensen's aug-glasses and the triangle A of Mankind Divided embossed and glossy, kinda like the cover of Thief 2014? SO MUCH MORE THINGS YOU CAN DO!

Here's an example of a box art done RIGHT, even if the game wasn't.

[spoiler=Ter Mister Chef Kolekshun]

8175Btj5gGL._SL1500_.jpg

It's simple, it has the logo, it has Chief's big orange mug in the middle, it has the boxart of Halo CE-4 in the background, it's easy to tell what it is from the get go! There's a good use of few colours, less is sometimes more (for some, but sometimes more is definitely more) I think this is a well done box art that translates even better into steelbook;

[spoiler=Big Book o' Steel]

SteelbookHW.png

I know these are minor in terms of the game, but funking hell, I want my games to look good on my shelf, and when I pull them out, I want to be impressed by it. funking hell BOPSIII has a more interesting case than TPP and BOPSIII is a rehash of a 6 year old art.

Archived