[Written] Hivember- Insect-Type Battle-Based Synchro Fun! (16/WIP)

Draconus297

Okay, so obviously I'm nowhere near done with this idea. I would never post this as-is in any other situation, but I happen to have finals tomorrow and I need to clear my head of this. So, archetype.

FIRE Insects. Fun gimmicks. Intention to make a Vayu later.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Hivember Larva 1

FIRE - Level 2 - Insect/Tuner/Effect - 200/200

If this monster is Special Summoned, you can add 1 "Hivember" card from your Deck to your hand. You can destroy this face-up monster: "Hivember" monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's monster effects until your 2nd Standby Phase after this effect's activation. A monster Synchro Summoned using this monster as Material gains the following effect:

●If it is Summoned, decrease the ATK and DEF of all monsters your opponent controls by 200, also increase this monster's ATK by that lost ATK.

Hivember Larva 2

FIRE - Level 2 - Insect/Tuner/Effect - 500/200

If a face-up "Hivember" Synchro monster is destroyed, you can Special Summon this monster from your Graveyard. You can destroy this face-up monster: "Hivember" monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's Spell/Trap Cards and effects until your 2nd Standby Phase after this effect's activation. A monster Synchro Summoned using this monster as Material gains the following effect:

●If it is Summoned, increase its ATK by half the combined ATK of its Synchro Materials on the field.

Hivember Larva 3

FIRE - Level 2 - Insect/Tuner/Effect - 0/200

If this monster is Normal Summoned, you can shuffle 1 "Hivember" card from your Graveyard into your Deck: Banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand (you can only activate this effect of "Hivember Larva 3" up to twice per Duel). You can destroy this face-up monster: Special Summon 1 "Hivember Larva" monster from your hand or Graveyard. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 non-Tuner "Hivember" monster in your Graveyard; banish both this card and that target, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Hivember" Synchro monster from your Extra Deck whose Level equals the total Levels of the banished monsters.

Hivember Egg

FIRE - Level 1 - Insect/Union/Effect - 600/200

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a "Hivember" card you control is destroyed, you can target 1 "Hivember" monster you control: That target is treated as a Tuner. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up card: Special Summon 1 "Hivember Larva" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can equip this monster from your side of the field to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●This monster is treated as a Tuner.

●If this monster is used as Synchro Material, you can Special Summon 1 Union monster that was equipped to this card.

Hivember Pupa

FIRE - Level 2 - Insect/Union/Effect - 900/200

Once per turn, if a "Hivember Larva" monster is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up card: Special Summon 1 FIRE Tuner monster from your Graveyard. You can equip this card to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●If this monster is used as Synchro Material, you can also use 1 "Hivember" monster in your hand as Material.

●If this monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can destroy 1 Union card you control instead, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 "Hivember Larva" monster from your Graveyard.

Hivember Gardener

FIRE - Level 3 - Insect/Union/Effect - 1400/200

If this monster is Normal or Special Summoned, you can equip 1 "Hivember" Union monster from your Graveyard to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up monster to Special Summon 1 "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard in Defense Position (You can only activate this effect of "Hivember Gardener" once per turn). You can equip this monster from your side of the field to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●If this monster battles your opponent's face-up Attack Position monster, and the ATK of the opposing monster is higher at the start of the Damage Step, increase this monster's ATK by 1500 until the end of the Damage Step.

●A monster destroyed by battle with this monster has its effects negated, including in the Graveyard, starting at the end of the Damage Step.

Hivember Worker

FIRE - Level 4 - Insect/Union/Effect - 1700/200

"Hivember" monsters you control gain 100 ATK for every "Hivember" card you control. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up monster to target 1 card your opponent controls: Destroy that target, and if you do, banish it instead of sending it to the Graveyard. You can equip this monster from your side of the field to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●If this monster battles, increase its ATK by 700 until the end of the Damage Step.

●If this monster destroyed your opponent's monster by battle this turn, you can add 1 "Hivember" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand during the End Phase.

Hivember Drone

FIRE - Level 5 - Insect/Union/Effect - 2000/200

If this monster attacks, your opponent cannot activate monster effects (including in their hand and Graveyard) until the end of the Damage Step. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up monster: Activate 1 "Hivember" Spell Card from your Deck (you can only activate this effect of "Hivember Drone" once per turn). You can equip this monster from your side of the field to a face-up "Hivember" monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●If this monster battles, your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards or their effects until the end of the Damage Step.

●If this monster destroys your opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, draw 1 card.

Hivember Soldier

FIRE - Level 6 - Insect/Union/Effect - 2300/200

This monster can attack twice per Battle Phase. During either player's turn, you can destroy this face-up card: Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard. You can equip this monster from your side of the field to a face-up FIRE monster you control. A monster equipped with this card gains the following effects:

●If this monster battles, increase its ATK and DEF by 300.

●If this monster destroys your opponent's monster by battle, you can Special Summon 1 "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard or Spell/Trap Card Zone.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]

Hivember Cluster

Field Spell

Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a "Hivember" monster you control is destroyed: You can Special Summon 1 "Hivember" monster from your Deck of a lower Level than the destroyed monster. "Hivember" monsters you control gain 500 ATK and DEF.

Hivember Infestation

Normal Spell

Special Summon any number of FIRE Insect-Type monsters from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position, but banish them at the end of the turn. You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Add 1 "Hivember" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Hivember Infestation".

Hivember Toxin Attack

Quick-Play Spell

Target 1 face-up "Hivember" monster you control: The ATK and DEF of all monsters your opponent controls becomes equal to that monster's original ATK, until the End Phase of this turn. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, except during the turn it was sent to the Graveyard: Add 1 "Hivember" card from your Deck to your hand.

Hivember Last Stand

Continuous Trap

Target 1 "Hivember" monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon that target, and if you do, equip it with this card. A monster equipped with this card gains ATK equal to its Level x200, also it can inflict piercing Battle Damage. If this card leaves the field, destroy the equipped monster. If the equipped monster leaves the field, destroy this card.

Hivember Food Storage

Continuous Trap

If a "Hivember" monster would be added to your hand, you can Special Summon that monster, instead. During your Main Phase 1, you can Special Summon 1 "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard; you cannot Normal Summon or Set monsters, or Special Summon non-FIRE monsters, the turn you activate and resolve this effect. If this card is destroyed, you can add 1 "Hivember" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Hivember Counter

Counter Trap

If your opponent would target a "Hivember" card you control with a card or effect, you can shuffle 2 "Hivember" monsters from your Graveyard into your Deck: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard, but banish it at the end of the turn.

[spoiler= Synchro]

Hivember Queen

FIRE - Level 7 - Insect/Synchro/Effect - 2700/200

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can select and activate 1 of the following effects:

●Equip 1 "Hivember" Union monster from your Graveyard to this card.

●Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower "Hivember" monster from your Graveyard in Defense Position.

●Destroy 1 "Hivember" monster you control, or a "Hivember" Union card equipped to a monster, and increase the ATK of all monsters you control by the original ATK of the destroyed monster.

Hivember Empress

FIRE - Level 8 - Insect/Synchro/Effect - 3000/200

1 FIRE Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Hivember" monsters

Once per turn, you can target 1 "Hivember" Union monster in your Graveyard: Equip it to this monster. If this monster would be destroyed, you can destroy 1 card equipped to this monster, instead. During either player's turn, you can decrease the ATK of all monsters your opponent controls by 800, and all monsters whose ATK becomes 0 by this effect are banished (If this effect resolves, destroy this monster).

I thinks this is an interesting gimmick. Just an OCG fix is having the Tuners effects activate when they're sent to the Graveyard as Synchro Materials instead of granting the Synchro Monster's effects. I just think that with the effects that the Tuners give its Synchros, it would be more appropriate for them to just activate upon hitting the grave as Synchro Materials.

And one thing that bugs me is Egg's effect. How is the second effect it gives its equipped monster supposed to work? Because if you attempt to use it as a Synchro Material, and Egg's effect lets you destroy a card instead, wouldn't the Synchro Summon not be able to be performed then since you're not replacing the other Synchro Material with another monster?

What I'm getting at is that if you try to use a monster equipped with Egg as a Synchro Material, and Egg's effect lets you destroy a card instead, wouldn't the Synchro Summon be cancelled since you're not using the required Materials? It's a weird effect in my opinion.

Hivember Infestation is totally unnecessary. Just replace it with Rekindling.

I'm curious though about where you got the name Hivember from?

Well, that's the thing: I needed to be absolutely sure it was whatever you Synchro Summoned that got the boost, and if I tried to do it the typical "when it is sent" way I wind up with a long, confusing mess of text. Instead, I took a page out of Dracoascension Magician's book and made it give whatever it Summons an effect, which is a lot easier to write out.

Essentially, Egg still allows the Summon to go through, but instead of sending the equipped monster to the Graveyard as Synchro Material, you pop any Union on the field. This serves several purposes, most notably letting you keep something like Soldier on the field that would be ideal Synchro Material, but not exactly something you want to give up.

Rekindling does exist . . . however, it is also limited to 1. Infestation gives Hivember essentially a duplicate Rekindling that you can banish from the Graveyard to add some extra search power to your Deck. There's a thought process to it.

Also, "Hive" + "ember". It's a portmanteau.

Well, that's the thing: I needed to be absolutely sure it was whatever you Synchro Summoned that got the boost, and if I tried to do it the typical "when it is sent" way I wind up with a long, confusing mess of text. Instead, I took a page out of Dracoascension Magician's book and made it give whatever it Summons an effect, which is a lot easier to write out.

Still have to argue for their effects activating when they're sent to the Graveyard instead, just because it makes more sense lore-wise given how their effects work in what they do for their Synchros.

Essentially, Egg still allows the Summon to go through, but instead of sending the equipped monster to the Graveyard as Synchro Material, you pop any Union on the field. This serves several purposes, most notably letting you keep something like Soldier on the field that would be ideal Synchro Material, but not exactly something you want to give up.

I also have to argue for Egg's effect being changed. You can only perform a Synchro Summon by sending the appropriate monsters you control to the grave, which is usually a Tuner and a number of non-Tuners, but with Egg's effect you would only send the non-Tuner to the grave, coming to my point that you would then not send both the Tuner and non-Tuner to the grave meaning the Synchro Summon wouldn't be successful.

It's one thing to use Synchro Materials from other places than from the field or Special Summoning a Synchro Monster straight from the Extra Deck altogether, but to introduce an effect that just blatanly takes one of the Materials out of the equation without giving a substitute wouldn't work is what I'm saying.

It would've been another thing if Egg also was a Tuner and could Synchro with itself while equipped for instance.

Rekindling does exist . . . however, it is also limited to 1. Infestation gives Hivember essentially a duplicate Rekindling that you can banish from the Graveyard to add some extra search power to your Deck. There's a thought process to it.

I got that Infestation was an archetype-specific Rekindling, which was why I felt like it was unnecessary, especially with all the other Spell/Traps that Special Summon Hivembers that you've made.

I respectfully disagree on the first point. Again, it's shortening the card text, and it makes the effect resolution occur on the field instead of the Graveyard- effects that resolve on the field are marginally easier to stop in case your opponent really has no recourse against battle.

On the second, I've taken your point . . . so I've done something that helps about as much. Now, if the monster equipped with Egg is used as a mat, you can Special Summon one of the equipped monsters instead of losing it to the Graveyard. That way, your plays can be extended, and you can bring back some of your offensive power if necessary.

An archetype that can only really accomplish things through battle needs as many ways to Special Summon as possible, because of the sheer amount of ways that your opponent can screw you over in the Battle Phase. Hivember has no stall capacity, no protection against things that don't target (and even its targeting protection is backrow stuff that one bad Cosmic Cyclone or TwiTwi could take away from you), and if your opponent runs so much as one Solemn your plays crumble into dust. It doesn't help that Hivember belongs to the Insect-Type, which has almost as much anti-support as Dragons and barely more positive support than Wyrms or Dinosaurs.

Archived