[MtG] One for Fun: In Cold Blood

bury the year

WFRIOJu.png

In Cold Blood 4BBB
Enchantment (M)
When In Cold Blood enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, create two 2/2 black Vampire Citizen creature tokens with lifelink. Then each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is the number of Vampires you control.
When you control no Vampires, sacrifice In Cold Blood.

(Template credit to .Rai.)

This is the beginning of my "One for Fun" series, in which I post random cards that strike me as interesting. I was very conservative in the casting cost for this card: hypothetically it could go down to 4BB, but I think that may be a bit too pushed.

Note: I believe that it will work that if you have no vampires already on the field when In Cold Blood ETBs, you'll get both triggers on the stack in the order you choose, so you can create the tokens before the sacrifice trigger resolves. Edited - see endnote.

And yes, Vampire Citizens. Thoughts of a noir/roaring 20s plane are going through my head recently...

EDIT: Added an intervening timing clause on the second ability.

Even though I know nothing about vamps, I feel like this could be a little less costly, probably down to your suggested level.

Maybe you could make the drain specific to black vamps? Cause I believe that there are some red vamps too, but black being the most common vamp color to my knowledge could be a way to combat the potential giant drain you could do.

Also coming from yugioh I have no idea what timings and rulings for this would be, but logically the summoning effect should resolve before the sacrifice check. Ooh, maybe to help make it more clear you could say at the beginning of your upkeep if you control no vamps blah blah blah?

Even though I know nothing about vamps, I feel like this could be a little less costly, probably down to your suggested level.

Maybe you could make the drain specific to black vamps? Cause I believe that there are some red vamps too, but black being the most common vamp color to my knowledge could be a way to combat the potential giant drain you could do.

Also coming from yugioh I have no idea what timings and rulings for this would be, but logically the summoning effect should resolve before the sacrifice check. Ooh, maybe to help make it more clear you could say at the beginning of your upkeep if you control no vamps blah blah blah?

Eh, I think this is right as a seven-drop. Grave Titan is a six-drop, and I feel like this justifies the extra mana in comparison. Will eventually test it at 3BBB, though.

Making it specific to black vampires is a bit extraneous, as most vampires are black anyways.

And I ended up checking around and the timing was messed up, so I added an intervening clause.

Thanks for the feedback! If you ever want more info about Magic-related stuff, let me know. :)

Archived