[DPR] Pachinko Counter Trap with a different effect based on where it activates

Eshai

Pinball Slots

Trap - Counter

This card gains the following effect depending on the Spell & Trap Zone in which it is placed:
● Left-most and Right-most: When your opponent activates a Spell Card: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.
● Middle: When your opponent activates a Trap Card: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.
● Otherwise: When your opponent activates a monster effect: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

After this card's effect resolves, your opponent gains 1000 LPs.

Reference to PachinKonami's recent practices of putting more money into Metal Gear Pachinko machines than making good Metal Gear games. In all seriousness, this is based on Mikuratorii's effect and a comment I made on the original post here. iku The card is similar to Shut Line where it cares about columns, but it can't be played around in the same manner. It care's about its own positioning rather than your opponent's positioning. If you set a bunch of cards at once, it could be pretty screwy trying to play cards since anything you have could be negated, but your counterplay is judging what kind of card they would want to negate. That goes the same for you, since you can't pick what you're negating after you Set it.

I want the card to have a cost but I don't want it to be LPs like the stupid Solemn cards that keep trying to tell you LPs matter. What should I do?

Yeah, this card really needs a cost as you mentioned, but a cool thing to do would have different cost for different effects, like discarding for a monster effect and paying LP for spell effects

But other ideas for cost include:

1. Only cards in the same or adjacent columns
  2. Skipping your next battle phase
  3. No normal summon next turn
  4. Skip your next draw
  5. Your opponent draws a card
  6. Your opponent gains LP

As it stands it's way to OP, allows you to negate whatever you want if you set it in the right zone

As it stands it's way to OP, allows you to negate whatever you want if you set it in the right zone

Shut Line is the same way and no one uses it. I get this is obviously a better card but I wouldn't go as far to say it's OP. It can't negate the effects of Spell/Trap effects of cards already on the field unlike Shut Line (that's probably going to change) but even then it loses what's so valuable about unrestricted and versatile card negation, which is having options. After Setting the card, it's around the same power level as Seven Tools of the Bandit, Divine Wrath, and Magic Drain, which all have costs on their own and never see play in a singular form. Even Dark Bribe, which negates Spells and Traps, is never used because drawing your opponent a card that could possibly be better is never worth it. 

The versatility itself is also really appealing, but what if those zones you want to put it in are already filled? You don't even get the choice there. That might as well already be a pretty good restriction for the card.

Your opponent gains LPs seems like a good idea. You're giving money to use a Pachinko Machine so it makes thematic sense, and is a cost that doesn't mean much to anyone similar to Upstart Goblin so it won't reduce the utility of the card.

After Setting the card, it's around the same power level as Seven Tools of the Bandit, Divine Wrath, and Magic Drain, which all have costs on their own and never see play in a singular form. Even Dark Bribe, which negates Spells and Traps, is never used because drawing your opponent a card that could possibly be better is never worth it. 

hmmm, yeah those cards all have similar effects but were never played since they were too restrictive. I guess this would be fine when you compare it to those cards and your opponents gain LP sounds like a fair cost.

[Counter fairies new Meta?]

[Counter fairies new Meta?]

There are no "Counter Fairies" in the DPR (to my knowledge this is the first negation card in the DPR because I'm trying to avoid negation) but even then this wouldn't be all that good in the late game where your Spell/Trap Zones are clogged, since you wouldn't be able to choose which zones you want to use. It probably would be used though, since it's a decent enough Counter Trap.

Archived