SIT DOWN AND LISTEN!

NP Sage

The site has already gone under. You've got quite a few members looking for other forum sites because of poor management. Yes' date=' this site offers a lot of things that other sites don't, but due to poor management it just gives members another opportunity to abuse what was given to them (IE the rep system and the points system).

Stop trying to defend what you don't understand. Moderators are here to keep good order and discipline. They are to maintain the site as far as threads and answering questions, not to harass, belittle, and demean its members. Moderators are seen and rarely heard. You know a good moderator when you see their actions more than you see their posts (IE DJ Osiris, TKill, and Frunk to name a few).

I've moderated at 3 different sites, and I know for a fact that in order to keep a site in tip-top shape you are working on it so much you don't have time to post but 1 or 2 messages. Usually the Admin goes into your account and modifies your post count for you to keep you looking active.

You can tell which moderators do their job and which ones don't based off the maintenance of their sections. And for the one who neg rep'd me on neg repping the admin, he IS in charge of maintenance of the site. Just because he isnt the one doing the dirty work doesn't mean he isn't responsible for his moderators and super moderators. Just the fact that you don't know that ALONE proves how much this site has sank.

[/quote']

You know, I've been thinking about this idea for a little while. I'll have to patent it, but I think it could become a popular show. It's called "Does it Really Matter?" I put up a topic of interest, and we discuss it at length. In this day and age, all people do is talk about what they think is important at the time to them, without looking at the bigger picture. As I said before, statistics mean nothing to the individual, but a mandate of the masses could end this argument about the moderator's problems, and all they have to do is determine if the subject really matters or not. So, let's examine this from several angles:

1. The Members. From what I can gather in this thread, the members seem rather contented about the moderators and their job, and the concern seems to be about this "back seat moderating" and the rant taking us by surprise. I myself may only visit the general section, but it's always in good order and I have no reason to doubt the job being done here. Communication between members seems rather helpful and cheerful, and aside from a few locks, members respect and value other opinions. Trolls are rarely noticed.

2. The Moderators. I'm not going to pretend to know how their job is being performed, nor will I bring into question their communication skills. If a moderator had a problem with the way moderation was being done, I'm sure they would have brought it to our attention. The argument about communication is an assumption as no member could possibly have any information about the interaction with other moderators. If we are going to investigate this side of the story further, we need to ask what kind of overall restrictions we're hoping for here.

Some forums allow abusive members because they offer laughs and entertain the general population. I've seen equality here all the time, you have a rep discussion thread ffs. You can actually whine about how some mean person put a -1 to your name because they didn't agree to your opinion. Arguments are always taken into account here, the fact that moderators can keep up with the flow of people constantly worried they might make it into negative territory shows that they are listening to members.Probably why I've never liked the rep system to begin with, it's an excuse to berate mods instead of growing a set of balls and learning not to take the internet too seriously. Mods here are quite lenient about some things, and strict about others. It's all about the context. What people, believe, value and demand for their websites.

In conclusion, do I think this really matters? no, because I've seen far worse out there, and if mods are tolerant to allow quite the leniencies I've seen, they're doing a fine job. However, this is a debate, so let's hear what others have to say. I daresay this thread won't last too much longer, it's up to the rest of the members and mods to discuss the options and ideas, and see what conclusions and actions need to be made. This is not a personal attack at you, but I think that claiming issues amangst the ranks here is a little irrational, but that's just me.

Yes there are worse threads out there, I will admit that (I've been to quite a few).

I do enjoy coming to this site, but the consensus is, it could be much better.

the "noobs" are getting picked on.

the moderators are doing their best at keeping up, and the majority are doing a very good job at that, there are still a few that need to be replaced.

the administration is starting to take notice once again about the rise and fall of most forum sites and currently, YCM was at a state of fall. Hopefully the new ordinances and the new moderator(s) he is looking to bring in will help bring YCM back into a state of rise.

If it didn't matter, I don't think there would be as many posts and topics as there are right now, YCMaker wouldn't have started to bring in new moderators, the moderators themselves wouldn't be putting their two cents in about the new ones that will be coming in, and the new rules wouldn't have been put in place.

Apparently the decision will be made in the next few days and we'll see who the new mods are. Lets hope they can handle the responsibility of Moderator-ship and bring YCM back up to par with some of the better forum sites.

Again, yes there are much worse, but then again, there are also much better.

As there have been a number of these threads recently, and NP Sage has made clear his points, I think it is safe to now lock this thread before it becomes repetitive. A number of strong points have been made, and keep in mind that although I may not be posting, I am usually listening. I had planned on responding earlier, but I believe Frunk's response was very on target and honestly I couldn't have said it better myself.

Archived