Malware Archetype (Written)

SkaterTheDJWolf

I got no CnC in Casual Multiples, and no one gives serious reviews there anyway, so after months of soul-searching, I decided to repost this is Advanced Multiples.

So, I wanted to create an archetype that was based on computer viruses, so here's the Malware archetype. (I wanted to call them Viruses, BUT THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE VIRUS TRAP CARD SERIES ATTACKED.) It's an archetype of Level 3 Cyberses with 1000 ATK/DEF of varying attributes split in two: The Malwares focus on getting themselves to your opponent's side of the field, and then locking down your opponent and being nigh impossible to get rid of. Pretty much the only way to to get rid of them is to hope your opponent does it for you (which is unlikely to say the least) or cough up some LP for their self-destruct effect. The Antimalwares Special Summon themselves when your opponent does something bad to you and reverses the bad thing, then help you defend yourself. The goal is to use the Malware to whittle down your opponent and then use burn or summon a beat stick to finish him off. Let's do this.

[spoiler=Malware Monsters (5)]
BonziBuddy Malware
EARTH Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
When an opponent's monster declares an attack: You can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field, then end the Battle Phase. You can only Special Summon "BonziBuddy Malware" once per turn this way. If you control this card but do not own it, it gains this effect:
- Monsters you control cannot attack. Cannot be Tributed, or destroyed or banished by your card effects, except by its own effect. Cannot be used as material for a Summon. This card cannot attack. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was Summoned, you can pay 900 LP: Destroy this card.
ATK/1000                 DEF/1000

Storm Malware
WIND Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
When your opponent adds a card to their hand, except during the Draw Phase: You can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field. You can only Special Summon "Storm Malware" once per turn this way. If you control this card but do not own it, it gains this effect:
- You cannot add cards from your Deck to your hand, except by drawing them. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Deck. Cannot be Tributed, or destroyed or banished by your card effects, except by its own effect. Cannot be used as material for a Summon. This card cannot attack. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was Summoned, you can pay 700 LP: Destroy this card.

WannaCry Malware
FIRE Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
When your opponent activates a monster effect while you control a "Malware" card: You can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field. You can only Special Summon "WannaCry Malware" once per turn this way. If you control this card but do not own it, it gains this effect:
- Your other monster effects are negated. You cannot activate other monster effects on the field. Cannot be Tributed, or destroyed or banished by your card effects, except by its own effect. Cannot be used as material for a Summon. This card cannot attack. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was Summoned, you can pay 500 LP: Destroy this card.

MyDoom Malware
DARK Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
When your opponent activates a Spell Card or effect while you control a "Malware" card: You can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field. You can only Special Summon "MyDoom Malware" once per turn this way. If you control this card but do not own it, it gains this effect:
- Your Spell effects are negated. Cannot be Tributed, or destroyed or banished by your card effects, except by its own effect. This card cannot attack. Cannot be used as material for a Summon. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was Summoned, you can pay 400 LP: Destroy this card.

ILOVEYOU Malware
LIGHT Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
When your opponent adds a card from the GY to the hand, Special Summons a card from the GY, banishes a card from the GY, or returns a card from the GY to the Deck: You can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field. You can only Special Summon "ILOVEYOU Malware" once per turn this way. If you control this card but do not own it, it gains this effect:
- You cannot activate effects of cards in the GY, Special Summon monsters from the GY, add cards from the GY to the hand, banish cards from the GY, or add cards from the GY to the Deck. Cannot be destroyed or banished by your card effects, except by its own effect. Cannot be used as material for a Summon. This card cannot attack. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was Summoned, you can pay 700 LP: Destroy this card.

[spoiler=Antimalware Monsters (5)]
Avast! Antimalware
WATER Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Trap Card or effect: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card and Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Trap while you control this face-up card: You can pay 250 LP: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. You can only use 1 "Avast! Antimalware" effect per turn.

Protegent Antimalware
LIGHT Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
Once per turn, when you would take battle damage while a "Malware" monster is on the field: You can reduce that damage to 0: Special Summon this card from your hand, then you can end the Battle Phase. If this card is face-up on the field, you take no battle damage. When you would take battle damage while a "Malware" monster is on the field and this card is in your GY, you can banish this card from your GY: Halve the damage you take.

...I couldn't resist.

AVG Antimalware
EARTH Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
Once per turn, when your opponent activates an effect that includes an effect that deals damage to you: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it, then Special Summon this card from your hand. While you control this card, you take no effect damage. When your opponent activates an effect that includes an effect that deals damage to you while this card is in your GY, you can banish this card from your GY: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

Panda Antimalware
WIND Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
Once per turn, when a "Malware" monster you control would be destroyed: You can Special Summon this card from your hand instead. While this card is face-up on the field, you take no battle damage from battles involving Defense Position monsters, also the first time each turn a monster you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, it is not destroyed. Once per turn, this face-up Defense Position card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is in your GY and a monster(s) you control would be destroyed, you can banish this card from the GY instead.

Antivirus Antimalware
LIGHT Level 3
Cyberse/Effect
If there is a "Malware" card on the field: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in face-up Defense Position. You can only Special Summon "Antivirus Antimalware" once per turn this way. If this card is Special Summoned this way: Add 1 "Malware" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Anitvirus Antimalware". You can banish this card from your GY: Link Summon 1 Cyberse Link monster from your Extra Deck, by banishing monsters from your GY as Link Materials.

[spoiler=Spells and Traps (9)]
Malware Botnetwork
Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Malware" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Malware Botnetwork" once per turn. When either player would pay LP to activate a "Malware" card or effect, they must pay 500 more LP. If a "Malware" card(s) are in your GY: Cyberse Link monsters you control gain 200 ATK x the total Link Rating of all Cyberse Link monsters on the field.

Antimalware Install Wizard
Spell
Special Summon 1 "Antimalware" monster from your hand or Deck, but it cannot attack and its effects are negated until the End Phase.

Data Recovery Software
Trap
If a Cyberse monster(s) you control is destroyed and sent to the GY: Target that monster in the GY: Special Summon it. You can banish this card from the GY, then target banished cards up to the number of "Antimalware" monsters you control: Add 1 to your hand, and return the rest to the GY.

Free Malware!
Trap
If your opponent Special Summons a monster: Special Summon 1 "Malware" monster from your hand or Deck to either side of the field. You can only activate 1 "Free Malware!" per turn.

Malware Code Creation
Quick-Play Spell

Add 1 "Malware" card from your Deck to your hand.

Malware Code Injection
Spell
Target up to 2 "Malware" monsters in your GY: Special Summon them, but their effects are negated.

Malware Mutation
Spell
Target 1 "Malware" monster in your GY: Return it to your hand. You can banish this card from the GY, then target up to 3 "Malware" monsters that are either banished or in your GY: Add 1 to your hand, and either return the rest to the GY or shuffle them into the Deck.

Malware Quick Scan
Spell
If you control an "Antimalware" monster, target 1 face-down card on the field or 1 card in your opponent's hand: Reveal it, then activate 1 of these effects based on its original card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap):
• Monster: Destroy 1 card on the field.
• Spell: Special Summon 1 Cyberse monster from your hand. If it is a "Malware" monster, you can Special Summon it to your opponent's side of the field.
• Trap: Draw 1 card.
You can only activate 1 "Malware Quick Scan" per turn.

Oops, My System Crashed!
Trap
When your opponent Summons a monster(s) when a "Malware" monster is in your GY: Add 1 "Malware" card from your Deck to your hand, then activate 1 of these effects depending on what type of Summon it was.

• Normal Summon: Draw 1 card.

• Special Summon (except from the Extra Deck): Gain 700 LP.

• Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Summon: The Summoned monster's effects are negated.

• Pendulum Summon: Your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn.

• Link Summon: The Summoned monster's ATK is halved, also the Summoned monster cannot be used as Link Material.
You cannot Special Summon the turn you activate this effect. If your opponent controls a "Malware" monster except the turn this card was sent to the GY, you can banish this card from the GY: Destroy 1 card on the field for every "Malware" monster on the field.

CnC much appreciated, or else when your closet opens tonight A SKELETON POPPED OUT!

Edit: Errata'd WannaCry so that it wouldn't block its own self-destruct effect.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Since I'm not a whiny Fanfiction.net baby who can't take criticism, I tried to implement Dova's suggestions. Here's the changelog:

• All "Malware" monsters now require a uniform 500 LP payment to destroy them. This is a nerf.

• HOPT'd Antivirus and Botnetwork.

• Effect negation for Install now lasts until the End Phase (also, this card can still be used to gather mats for a Link Summon).

• Generally buffed Protegent, AVG, Panda, and Avast!.

• AVG now negates and destroys cards or effects that include an effect that deals damage to you, so no more Volcasauri.

• Nerfed WannaCry and MyDoom and buffed BonziBuddy.

• Mutation and Code Creation are now Spells.

• Reworked Oops, My System Crashed! from the ground up, except for the GY effect.

• Removed discard cost for Code Injection.

• Removed must-be-Special-Summoned-to-be-useful condition from the Antimalwares.

• Many card grammar fixes to prevent missed timing and to fix my mistakes.

If I went overboard, or missed a spot, please notify me.

The 3rd Edit: AAAAAGH, completely forgot to errata ILOVEYOU. Fixed it.

Interesting coming to these after creating my own Virus related archetype, Wire Snake. You have your correlations, such as unable to be used as materials (which you used a lot more than I did, and in a more complex manner. Just use "Cannot be used as material for a Summon."), and your differences, such as you not having a boss at all, or even a Link Monster to go into. But hey, it's not like you don't have Cyberse Links to go into already. Also, "during either player's turn" becomes "(Quick Effect)" placed just before the colon.

I think the main problem with your Malware monsters is the power of most of these cards. Generally, with these sorts of effects, you would have a similar power scaling for each in generic effect negation, although it's hard to quantify between Traps and Spells (correct OCG on MyDoom is "activates a Spell Card or effect" btw) but in this scenario, but if we take BonziBuddy, a card which is...almost completely worse than Battle Fader and similar cards (only stops bosses and deals 900 damage basically), and compare it to Storm, which almost completely locks your opponent's deck AND forces them to pay LP later to stop it, there's quite a difference. It's completely better than Droll & Lock Bird, which doesn't lock your opponent out of a zone for a turn, cost them LP or potentially stay on the field, or lock out of SSing from the Deck. Of course, this isn't extremely overpowered, as your opponent still gets their search, and the same can be said to the complete GY lock of ILOVEYOU; pretty OP, not not overwhelmingly so. However, MyDoom and WannaCry completely take this out of the park, by not only locking down all of a specific card's effects, but negating the activation that triggered them. MyDoom is a buffed Anti-Spell Fragrance, as your opponent can never activate the cards, even their GY effects, and WannaCry is on the same level as if not better than Skill Drain, as, while it doesn't stay face-up, another zone locked up for your opponent, they have to pay LP, and they can't use effects off the field or even ACTIVATE them :( Serious nerfing all round is in order; either nerf their effects, force them to be more archetypal by requiring you to actually be playing the Deck instead of just splashing a few of these hand traps in any old meta Deck, or, better yet, both!

Your Antimalware is almost entirely on the opposite side of the spectrum. Antivirus is a must have, with searching and a useful GY effect, although it can search itself, then have you SS the new copy, and repeat until you have 3 of them and an additional monster. HOPT on there, mayhaps? Also, if you do that, why not have the effect trigger on any sort of SS? This power does not stray on the rest of these monsters, as while Avast! does deal with Traps ("Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Trap or Trap" did you mean "Trap Card or effect"?), something missing from your Malware, it's only going to have a use in that specific scenario, and most decks run very few Traps. Perhaps a one-off, definitely a side-card, but otherwise not an important card. Effect damage isn't used much outside of Trickstars, so RIP AVG, and Protegent's (both should say "would take 500 or more" as to reduce it to 0 you have to not have already taken it) first effect is a worse version of Kuriboh, and the last effect, which might be a sweetener if the first was anything good, is just not helpful enough to warrant its play. Panda doesn't mention "Malware" once in its text; why not have the effect protect a Malware monster in any position? Also, it and the last effect shouldn't activate, as this effect would have to apply mid-chain (e.g. as Raigeki is resolving) Why the protection of battle damage from Defense Position monsters? Hooray, I am immune to piercing damage and attacking a Subterror monster. Rest of the card is semi-decent.

Botnetwork needs HOPT somewhere to stop you activating it, searching out another copy, then repeating until you have thinned your Deck into 37 cards. Last effect doesn't activate, simply applies like the paying extra LP effect (i.e. remove the colon, as that implies an activating effect), but, for the first time, I like this card. Pretty creative in the last two effects, and its a helpful card for the archetype. Just HOPT and it's good to go. Install is only useful for stalling with Panda and perhaps Avast? All the rest have hand effects, and Avast isn't really a proper target as your opponent probably won't use Traps next turn. That's not really what they're for :P Data Recovery could say "If a Cyberse" if you don't want it to miss timing. Returning to the GY is pretty helpful to with your occasional GY effects, and fits into the archetype well. Another good card. I don't see when you would ever give your opponent a Malware monster you control with Free Malware! when you could just SS one from your Deck to their side of the field. Why would you even have one on your side of the field, save for the Antimalwares, which you wouldn't even want to give to your opponent? Could probably get away with an If here too, and a Summon from the Deck, as if there's one thing this Deck does NOT need its emptying your hand, considering how many hand traps you have. Code Injection is...fine, nothing Special, and Code Creation is stuck in a conundrum: If your archetype is so slow in searching that it needs a Trap to do its searching, said Trap won't do anything for it, but it otherwise won't be useful. See Nordics for how not to make an archetype. Mutation's adding to the hand is great, just what your Malwares needed...but why would I want to shuffle my monsters into my Deck? True, recycling, but I'm just thickening my Deck, and removing potential targets for Data Recovery. Quick Scan is another flavourful, balanced, and helpful card, providing different options and bonuses in different ways which I love, so good job there. Oops suffers from the same problem as a majority of the rest of your cards; being too generic. I mean, the last effect is archetypal in a good way, so hooray, but the main effect...the Link pointing one is basically Dimensional Barrier for the new day of YGO...except it locks out ALL EXTRA DECK SUMMONS SAVE FOR ONE. AND IT CAN DO ANOTHER EFFECT OF YOUR CHOICE. Just scrap it, imo.

A point I only touched on at Code Creation is how slow the archetype is. You have 4 searchers, and 1 means of Summoning from the Deck, and that's not good for a hand reliant archetype. Its slow as a whole, but many cards are incredibly useful as generics. Not a great set, but it is fixable.

Interesting coming to these after creating my own Virus related archetype, Wire Snake. You have your correlations, such as unable to be used as materials (which you used a lot more than I did, and in a more complex manner. Just use "Cannot be used as material for a Summon."), and your differences, such as you not having a boss at all, or even a Link Monster to go into. But hey, it's not like you don't have Cyberse Links to go into already. Also, "during either player's turn" becomes "(Quick Effect)" placed just before the colon.

I think the main problem with your Malware monsters is the power of most of these cards. Generally, with these sorts of effects, you would have a similar power scaling for each in generic effect negation, although it's hard to quantify between Traps and Spells (correct OCG on MyDoom is "activates a Spell Card or effect" btw) but in this scenario, but if we take BonziBuddy, a card which is...almost completely worse than Battle Fader and similar cards (only stops bosses and deals 900 damage basically), and compare it to Storm, which almost completely locks your opponent's deck AND forces them to pay LP later to stop it, there's quite a difference. It's completely better than Droll & Lock Bird, which doesn't lock your opponent out of a zone for a turn, cost them LP or potentially stay on the field, or lock out of SSing from the Deck. Of course, this isn't extremely overpowered, as your opponent still gets their search, and the same can be said to the complete GY lock of ILOVEYOU; pretty OP, not not overwhelmingly so. However, MyDoom and WannaCry completely take this out of the park, by not only locking down all of a specific card's effects, but negating the activation that triggered them. MyDoom is a buffed Anti-Spell Fragrance, as your opponent can never activate the cards, even their GY effects, and WannaCry is on the same level as if not better than Skill Drain, as, while it doesn't stay face-up, another zone locked up for your opponent, they have to pay LP, and they can't use effects off the field or even ACTIVATE them :( Serious nerfing all round is in order; either nerf their effects, force them to be more archetypal by requiring you to actually be playing the Deck instead of just splashing a few of these hand traps in any old meta Deck, or, better yet, both!

Your Antimalware is almost entirely on the opposite side of the spectrum. Antivirus is a must have, with searching and a useful GY effect, although it can search itself, then have you SS the new copy, and repeat until you have 3 of them and an additional monster. HOPT on there, mayhaps? Also, if you do that, why not have the effect trigger on any sort of SS? This power does not stray on the rest of these monsters, as while Avast! does deal with Traps ("Once per turn, when your opponent activates a Trap or Trap" did you mean "Trap Card or effect"?), something missing from your Malware, it's only going to have a use in that specific scenario, and most decks run very few Traps. Perhaps a one-off, definitely a side-card, but otherwise not an important card. Effect damage isn't used much outside of Trickstars, so RIP AVG, and Protegent's (both should say "would take 500 or more" as to reduce it to 0 you have to not have already taken it) first effect is a worse version of Kuriboh, and the last effect, which might be a sweetener if the first was anything good, is just not helpful enough to warrant its play. Panda doesn't mention "Malware" once in its text; why not have the effect protect a Malware monster in any position? Also, it and the last effect shouldn't activate, as this effect would have to apply mid-chain (e.g. as Raigeki is resolving) Why the protection of battle damage from Defense Position monsters? Hooray, I am immune to piercing damage and attacking a Subterror monster. Rest of the card is semi-decent.

Botnetwork needs HOPT somewhere to stop you activating it, searching out another copy, then repeating until you have thinned your Deck into 37 cards. Last effect doesn't activate, simply applies like the paying extra LP effect (i.e. remove the colon, as that implies an activating effect), but, for the first time, I like this card. Pretty creative in the last two effects, and its a helpful card for the archetype. Just HOPT and it's good to go. Install is only useful for stalling with Panda and perhaps Avast? All the rest have hand effects, and Avast isn't really a proper target as your opponent probably won't use Traps next turn. That's not really what they're for :P Data Recovery could say "If a Cyberse" if you don't want it to miss timing. Returning to the GY is pretty helpful to with your occasional GY effects, and fits into the archetype well. Another good card. I don't see when you would ever give your opponent a Malware monster you control with Free Malware! when you could just SS one from your Deck to their side of the field. Why would you even have one on your side of the field, save for the Antimalwares, which you wouldn't even want to give to your opponent? Could probably get away with an If here too, and a Summon from the Deck, as if there's one thing this Deck does NOT need its emptying your hand, considering how many hand traps you have. Code Injection is...fine, nothing Special, and Code Creation is stuck in a conundrum: If your archetype is so slow in searching that it needs a Trap to do its searching, said Trap won't do anything for it, but it otherwise won't be useful. See Nordics for how not to make an archetype. Mutation's adding to the hand is great, just what your Malwares needed...but why would I want to shuffle my monsters into my Deck? True, recycling, but I'm just thickening my Deck, and removing potential targets for Data Recovery. Quick Scan is another flavourful, balanced, and helpful card, providing different options and bonuses in different ways which I love, so good job there. Oops suffers from the same problem as a majority of the rest of your cards; being too generic. I mean, the last effect is archetypal in a good way, so hooray, but the main effect...the Link pointing one is basically Dimensional Barrier for the new day of YGO...except it locks out ALL EXTRA DECK SUMMONS SAVE FOR ONE. AND IT CAN DO ANOTHER EFFECT OF YOUR CHOICE. Just scrap it, imo.

A point I only touched on at Code Creation is how slow the archetype is. You have 4 searchers, and 1 means of Summoning from the Deck, and that's not good for a hand reliant archetype. Its slow as a whole, but many cards are incredibly useful as generics. Not a great set, but it is fixable.

I’ll probably never get around to making all of these changes, but thanks for actually giving me criticism. That’s one more criticism than I got in Casual, and it will help me a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived