Legacy Support - Super Roboyarou

RtHonJohnMajor

Tristan's 'signature' Fusion Monsters for reference:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Roboyarou

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Robolady

I tried to base the support around increasing the abysmal ATK of the Fusions in the same way that they increase their own ATK. Also, considering how it seems like they should be able to tag out (easier/better), I tried to think of a consistent and helpful way in which they could tag out, without retraining their original effects. The following card images may have slightly incorrect PSCT. The written effects below them have them fixed.

[spoiler=Monsters]

H2KwUzX.jpg

If this card is in your hand or GY: You can banish 1 Level 3 EARTH Machine monster from your hand or GY; Special Summon this card. If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 card from your Deck to your hand, that specifically lists the card "Super Roboyarou" or "Super Robolady" in its text, except "Roboboys". You can only use each effect of "Roboboys" once per turn.

I made these cards a while ago and I clearly didn't notice the "Machine-Type" PSCT error. Well, I assume that's an error, consider it looks like Konami are trying to fizzle out "-Type". I think a Level 3 EARTH Machine with less than 500 ATK is perfect for external support as well as fitting in with the theme of the archetype. It only makes sense that the children of Roboyarou and Robolady have both stats at 450. Gets the plays started without doing more work more than they should.

bmIN10Y.png

1 Level 3 or lower EARTH Machine monster

While you control an EARTH Machine Fusion Monster, your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or with card effects. Once per turn, if this card points to an EARTH Machine Fusion Monster (Quick Effect): You can return a Fusion Monster this card points to to the Extra Deck; Special Summon 1 "Super Roboyarou" or "Super Robolady" with a different name from your Extra Deck. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.)

I had to look up so many different cards in an attempt to proofread the PSCT for this. There has to be a better way to word its effect, so, someone, please tell me. This guy is how the Super Robo's tag out, so I thought it made sense to protect him whilst the Fusions were out. Also, I hope I can find an excuse to use this image as card art for another Link Monster, at some point, to make the spanner actually point in the direction the card's pointing in.

[spoiler=Spells]

Sf9M7Ls.jpg

Activate 1 of these effects:

Fusion Summon "Super Roboyarou" from your Extra Deck, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from your hand or your side of the field. If your opponent controls a monster, you can also use monsters in your Deck and/or GY as Fusion Material.
Fusion Summon "Super Robolady" from your Extra Deck, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from your hand or your side of the field. If your opponent controls no monsters, you can also use monsters in your Deck and/or GY as Fusion Material.
During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 EARTH Machine Fusion Monster on the field; it gains 1000 ATK. During the End Phase of this turn, destroy that target.

Took one look at Spiral Flame Strike and realised I got the PSCT wrong. I quite like the way I worded this to allow the easy summoning of the 'correct' Super Robo. It also allows the Fusions to creep over 3000 ATK with a 'downside' that is easily avoidable with the Link Monster. Although, I do hate that all Spells seem to only be able to use their GY effects during a specific phase or not on the turn they were sent to the GY, so it's hard to tell if I have the PSCT correct but I think it works.

MBlabDR.jpg
"Super Roboyarou" and "Super Robolady" on your side of the field cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If a "Super Roboyarou" or "Super Robolady" you control battles, during the Damage Step: You can return 1 of your banished Level 3 EARTH Machine monsters to the GY; it gains 1000 ATK, during the Damage Step only. Once per turn: You can target 3 EARTH Machine monsters in your GY; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

You know how it goes. Have a HELL YEAH archetype? Give it a Field Spell. Considering they can tag out, I think this is the only protection this archetype really warranted. Also, considering the amount of banishing you're bound to do with this deck, either summoning the children or using the fusion Spell (or both), I think the cost to bump your Fusions up to a potential 4200 makes sense. I made the last effect generic because, on a normal turn, I imagine you have 2 banished "Robo" monsters with 1 in the GY due to this card's effect. So, the last effect can be used to recycle any external support you may be running, too.

wQGM0H1.jpg
If "Super Roboyarou" or "Super Robolady" is Special Summoned to your side of the field: Target up to 2 cards on your opponent's side of the field; destroy them. You can only activate 1 "Fiery Emergence" per turn.

Finally, for those threats that you just can't get rid of by battle. Considering you can tag out during your opponent's turn with the Link Monster, you could potentially tag out to avoid destruction/targeting effects and then hit them with this to top things off. Due to the fact that, realistically, you're just poking with both Fusion Monsters each Battle Phase, I thought this would be good way to pick up the slack and apply the necessary pressure to win.

I hope I've posted this in the correct section. I definitely had balance and the meta in-mind whilst making this support, even though I don't think this support is enough to make the deck top tier HELL YEAH.

Roboboys are alright. Was expecting them to be able to search out the Normal monsters this set is based on, but they have enough Normal Support anyway. Good card, but nothing spectacular.

Do you know what the first thing I thought was when I saw the Link's effect? Seraphinite engine. And whaddaya know, Seraphinite and Lazuli are both EARTH, so you can Summon one of your Robo monsters, use it as a Link Material for your custom, send a LIGHT monster and Lazuli, use Lazuli to add the Normal Monster you sent earlier, then send Seraphinite to get one of your Fusion pair. Pure poetry! Your Link monster's PSCT looks alright, so no problems there.

For your Fusion Spell, basically no spell has a Quick Effect. Ever. Not even on Quick-Plays in the GY. The closest thing we have to that is the Trigger effect on the Crystal Beast Field Spell. There's nothing inherently wrong with giving a Spell a Quick Effect, just no precedent. Anyway, decent Spell, and Field Spell has enough to be alright.

Your Quick-Play is a little underwhelming compared to the rest of the set. To be honest, you could definitely get away with just requiring you to control said monsters. Yes, you don't really have much else taking advantage of their tagging in and out (save for the the Fusion Spell) but a Quick-Play restricted to certain timing is just asking for vulnerability. You could make it a Trap, but then it would lose the potential plays during your turn. It would take a lot more than my aforementioned buffing to make it broken :P

Good support, in all honesty. Certainly not enough to push them into rogue deck area, but considering they barely even saw play in any shape or form before, pushing them into the casual limelight is certainly something. Nothing broken, a few weak points here and there, but anything is wanted here.

Roboboys are alright. Was expecting them to be able to search out the Normal monsters this set is based on, but they have enough Normal Support anyway. Good card, but nothing spectacular.

I agree that it would make sense for Roboboys to add the Normal monsters, however, considering the fusion Spell can use materials from the Deck, I didn't think it was necessary. I couldn't think of a way for Roboboys to add the support I was making and the Normal monsters. The only way I could think of would be for it to add 1 "Robo" card, yet that encompasses way too many cards from outside the archetype. It's mainly due to this that I based the support heavily and solely around the "Super Robo"s, rather than the vanillas.

Do you know what the first thing I thought was when I saw the Link's effect? Seraphinite engine. And whaddaya know, Seraphinite and Lazuli are both EARTH, so you can Summon one of your Robo monsters, use it as a Link Material for your custom, send a LIGHT monster and Lazuli, use Lazuli to add the Normal Monster you sent earlier, then send Seraphinite to get one of your Fusion pair. Pure poetry! Your Link monster's PSCT looks alright, so no problems there.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't think this would be possible. Super Roboshuriko has gotta be pointing to a Machine and Seraphinite is a Fairy. Although, now that you mention it, I may just need to broaden the Link's effect to simply needing to point at a Fusion monster. I don't think it would lead to anything 'broken' if it could interact with any Fusion Monster.

For your Fusion Spell, basically no spell has a Quick Effect. Ever. Not even on Quick-Plays in the GY. The closest thing we have to that is the Trigger effect on the Crystal Beast Field Spell. There's nothing inherently wrong with giving a Spell a Quick Effect, just no precedent. Anyway, decent Spell, and Field Spell has enough to be alright.

I don't know why I didn't factor that in, to be honest. I just really wanted the monsters that do very well battling on your turn to not be easily overwhelmed by battle on your opponent's turn. I may just change when the GY effect can be activated, considering I imagine you would be using its GY effect during your turn, anyway. In fact, if I simply design more disruption cards, I won't need to worry about lack of battle backup during the opponent's turn.

Your Quick-Play is a little underwhelming compared to the rest of the set. To be honest, you could definitely get away with just requiring you to control said monsters. Yes, you don't really have much else taking advantage of their tagging in and out (save for the the Fusion Spell) but a Quick-Play restricted to certain timing is just asking for vulnerability. You could make it a Trap, but then it would lose the potential plays during your turn. It would take a lot more than my aforementioned buffing to make it broken :P

I do get where you're coming from. I wasn't trying to prevent this card being broken, I was just trying to make it fit the theme and not feel cheap (destroying cards simply because I have a bad Fusion Monster out :P).

Good support, in all honesty. Certainly not enough to push them into rogue deck area, but considering they barely even saw play in any shape or form before, pushing them into the casual limelight is certainly something. Nothing broken, a few weak points here and there, but anything is wanted here.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it's very appreciated! I'm really happy with the Link Monster and the fusion Spell. I might attempt to design a few more disruption cards like Fiery Emergence in order for the deck to do more things and have more interaction options. Although, I am happy enough with what I have made to just leave it here.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't think this would be possible. Super Roboshuriko has gotta be pointing to a Machine and Seraphinite is a Fairy. Although, now that you mention it, I may just need to broaden the Link's effect to simply needing to point at a Fusion monster. I don't think it would lead to anything 'broken' if it could interact with any Fusion Monster.

Thought it said EARTH Fusion monster tbh.Yeah, pretty hard to break these obscure effects.

Good idea for an effect to look at: Armades clause. Cards or effects cant be activated if one of them attacks or is attacked. Would be helpful for control in regards to their ATK boost.

Archived