Maeriberii Haan

Team A

By the time Miro could catch up, the woman had already entered her cabin, and had locked the door. He could perhaps break in at this point, but before he could do it, the loud train whistle would ring, signalling that they were now in the great capital city of Taxus. It didn't seem that the woman would leave in this stop at least, so Miro could mark this place as a room of interest and return here later.

Meanwhile, as they reached the station stop, two train staffs, one male and one female, visited Percival and asked him to let them store the body before any new passengers see it. Further examination would be possible, but unless Percival argued about keeping the body for himself, the body would be stored in a harder to reach place than before.

Team B

[spoiler=Content of the letter]

"Magi of the long lost guild, Cherry Heart. We know that you are coming here to stop the will of the Gods. Though you are not as mighty as you once was, we cannot take you lightly. History shall not repeat itself this time.

But your deaths won't mean a thing for us. No, we aim to make a statement. At the twentieth hour mark, you will find out what we mean."

Ultimately, they didn't manage to get much aside from the letter and what the two people had said regarding the matter. The train would come into a halt soon, and several people would come and fill the seats. It was not enough to make the train car full, but it became noticeably livelier inside, including the presence of a few families traveling together.

"The train will be stopping in Taxus for two hours. For your midnight dinner, our affiliated restaurant just next to the station would be a good place to visit..."

Or so the announcement that everyone would hear sounded. This two hours break would be a good time to regroup and discuss the information that the group had so far. Or, perhaps they could do something else in the meantime, and investigate the matter further in fear of losing suspects or potential information.

In the meantime, the faint howl of a wolf could be heard echoing through the station, with people unsure about what it really meant for the time being.

[spoiler=OOC]

Alright, so this would be a more relaxed round, with an opportunity for the four of you to regroup and discuss things. I will be posting again next Friday, but afterwards I will be unavailable for around one week for holiday. Feel free to decide on what to do this round and post as much as possible before next Friday. I will not wait until everyone has posted just for this round.

As always, questions can be asked via PM either on YCM, skype, or Discord.

Percival let out a shudder as he stood up from the body. It certainly was not something he was eager to investigate further. And so, shamefully, he didn't argue when the workers wanted to take the body away. He was glad to see it gone. And that moment of cheer was pierced through with the vile feeling of disappointment in oneself.

-----

His cheer returned as he met up with his companions once more. Seeing Leif especially caused him joy. He had no need to worry with his stalwart companions by his side!

"A tragic event / Mysteries in mysteries / Death surrounds us" He began ominously before diving into the tale of their exploits so far. With much exaggeration, of course.

Such as..."The villain was as fast as a gazelle, it took all our speed to keep up with him."

And, "The body was found in the company of suspicious figures, villains could be surrounding us on all sides, I fear this task may prove even more dangerous than we could have imagined."

His explanation faltered slightly when describing the mark and that, of all the things, was the most clear and concise of all his explanation.

"Sadly we are no further in our investigation and tragedy has already struck. Even one death is too much for a hero to allow. When this villain is caught he will face my blade!"

The howling noise concerned Percival and, as soon as he heard it, he crouched beside Snow, who had been staring at Mina the whole time, and put a hand on his head. "My friend, I ask that you investigate this noise. It may be dangerous but I know you are up to the task!...Do not try anything rash, though I know your heroic soul would want to leap into action, but if you find anything you must let me know posthaste!"

Miro was disappointed to see he had been too slow in following the woman. She had entered her cabin with seemingly no intent of leaving soon or allowing for company. Perhaps that was for the better. Still he marked the cabin in his memory, determined to find its occupant some time later to get her side of the story. He doubted she was involved in any way but any piece of information had to be helpful in sorting out what had happened. There wasn't much to be done at this point but regroup with Percival and maybe even the others. Who knows what could have happened on the other end of the train.

The train had stopped and an announcement sounded saying there would be a two hour break to accompany it. It seemed odd to do something like this in the dead of night, the serving of a meal more especially. The weasel hadn't counted on the busy air of the train returning to life some during the evening. People were moving on and off, and he had no way of knowing which of them were involved with the threats to the train or the child who had been killed. He quickly got several strange and concerned looks from some of the humans boarding. They appeared to be families and parents were directing their children to not look at him. He knew what it was about and sighed some as his tail wrapped around his lower waist once, making him somewhat decent. Better to not trouble the passengers, or his other teammates for that matter.

Miro converged with the others and stood quietly while leaning up against a wall with his arms crossed, typical cool-guy style. His tail was still in place from before in case either Leif or Mina were less than welcome to fully exposed and painted senki in their faces. Percival's explanation had a lot of unneeded flair to it and it lacked essential details.

"We heard the sound of glass breaking and saw a man running through the train. When we caught him it was somehow a boy who vanished into smoke when we tried to apprehend him. The next thing we knew the same boy was dead just a car over and the window we'd heard break wasn't so much as cracked. An old man and a woman were there but only the man spoke and seemed irritated dealing with us." he said calmly to fill in the holes left by the eccentric hero. A howl sounded which caught the weasel's attention. He stood up straighter and turned his head toward the sound as if trying to locate it better. He'd long shut his scarred over eye when the tension on the train had lessened but much more important were his ears to this matter. Snow would be sent to investigate which was perhaps for the best.

"Anything as grim or mysterious on your end?" he questioned of the girls before resuming his original position.

gq7AP6h.png?1

Leif seemed to have a bit of a shocked expression on her face as her and Mina read the letter, specifically designated towards them. It was a threat, both towards the train and the lives of her and her fellow guild members. Moreover, it seemed that whoever was sending this letter was well acquainted with the guild from the past - Leif was not aware this guild had much of a history at all. All the same, it was something clearly from their adversary, and Leif was not about to let this slight against justice just pass by. "Well Mina, at least we are affirmed in our thoughts that the villain is on board. Good job on finding the letter..." she trailed off as she looked towards Mina's curious looking...pet? She wasn't quite sure what to call the thing, and made no effort to hide the confusion on her face before saying,"well, let us reconvene with the others for now at least." 

It didn't take long for the two girls to meet up with their fellow guild mates, and as they did they seemed to have a lot to tell about their own events. Leif seemed to have a curious smile on her face as Percival explained what they had happened, though it looked more like she was enjoying a story then actually getting some kind of factual debriefing. She nodded as Miro went into more detail, actually understanding what the events they went through much better now, she said, "well, it certainly sounded like you had a strange time where you were. Mina and I merely had a few pleasant conversations with some of the passengers. I, myself, spoke with a darling elderly woman who gave me this little trinket." She pulled out the stuffed bird doll with a strange amount of pride in her expression.

Clearing her throat she then said, "but yes, she had something interesting to say. Outside of her family visit, the woman told me about how their seemed to be some kind of stalling once the train starts to cross the ocean. She believed it to be maybe some kind of engine fault. In addition, we found a letter, one addressed to us specifically issuing a threat to us." She gestured to Mina to show the duo the letter in full. "Fear not, however, for it means the villainous cur is aboard the train, and when we find them, they shall not be safe from my own blade of justice as well!" The girl smiled contently to herself as she said this, only then to look around curiously as she heard a howl. "My Snow, you sound so far away," the girl absentmindedly said, only to then realize that the white wolf was not the source of the noise, as Percival told him to go investigate it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Percival frowned as Miro explained what he had already told. "My version was better..." He muttered, somewhat sullenly, before snapping back to attention as Leif spoke.

His sullenness did not last long. For as soon as Leif made mention of blade of justice, Percival stood taller and proclaimed. "Indeed! None can possibly stand in our way. This mystery was as good as solved the moment that I, Percival Crimson, was assigned to it! Oh, and, Leif?" He said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "Er, that's a nice trinket you got there." He finished lamely.

The group then began to make plans of what they should do. In the end they decided to separate into two groups. One of which would go and check around the passengers more, especially that woman that Miro had failed to get information out of earlier. The other would go to the engine to investigate any potential foul play. The first group would include Miro, who knew where the woman was, and Leif, who seemed the best at actually talking to these people.

Which left Mina, whom apparently was good with machines, as she sent one such machine to check on Snow, despite Percival's insistence he was fine, to go with Percival to the engine.

While the young man thought he would be best suited getting information, as his heroic aura would surely drive people to talk, he realized that it was more likely the villain themselves would show up at the engine.

"Pivotal engine / Without it we are all lost / Guardian needed"

The girls had found a letter addressed to them of the guild in particular from those threatening the train. Miro looked it over carefully to make sure he was understanding it well. They apparently had no intent to kill them but rather show there was little point in fighting them. There was a threat for the twentieth hour which combined with the information Leif had gathered about engine faults, the idea of a sabotage of the engine came to mind. No doubt the others had put the idea together for as the group continued discussing they decided on sending the mechanically skilled Mina to watch over the engine room with Percival to help fend off any would be attackers or saboteurs. This left the Senki with Leif, who seemed capable of getting these other humans to speak with her. But then it made sense they would more openly talk to another of their kind. Hopefully the woman who had been at the scene of the boy's death would be willing to share now that some time had passed. With the plan settled on, the group was ready to split up again. But Miro turned to the two he would not be accompanying briefly.

"Should something go wrong, do something to signal us. A long, loud whistle or something to that effect. I'll be by your sides faster than you'll realize." he said, clearly not ashamed of his speed. "Not that I expect the hero to need my help." he said playfully with regard to Percy's consistent declarations. The young warrior shifted his scythe in his hands some before departing with the human woman.

As they walked he let his tail lazily unwrap itself without much thought for Leif or the other humans aboard the train. Miro took point as he knew the way to woman's car the two would be heading to first. His companion still perplexed him some. Something about the way she carried herself confused the weasel. It was difficult to grasp just how seriously she was interacting with the world around her when she seemed to take most things with remarkable calm.

"So, what made you want this kind of life?" he questioned her suddenly while they went their way. They passed another family who looked at Miro with some alarm before returning to whatever they were doing. "From what I understand, human women tend to enjoy the activities of a guild a fair bit less than the men. But you seem pretty alright with being on a train ride you might not survive." he said as if to remind himself they had very little to go on and a very imminent threat. Most of his knowledge consisted of generalizations and a few specific individuals he'd met and interacted with in various human settlements in recent years. Percival, while louder than he had thought, didn't seem all that outside what he'd heard of young human men. They were adventurous and always ready for a fight. But he'd heard much different things of the women. Why Leif would seek out a life of fighting, crimes solving and whatever other dangerous tasks a guild might take conflicted with the ideas he had.

gq7AP6h.png?1

Leif clapped her hands together as the plans were made, saying, "marvelous! Best of luck in your journeys my comrades." With that, the group had split off from one another, leaving Leif with the weasel man, Miro, on their quest to speak to a woman. As they made their way through the train, Miro eventually spoke up, asking the self proclaimed knight in training about her life choices. Looking up, the girl mused to herself, "well, I suppose it is true. Most of the most storied of knights and heroes are male." Looking to Miro more starry eyed she said, "yet, even still, I wish to join them in their ranks in history. I've always been fascinated and marveled by the tales of such heroes, and always found a certain attraction to that kind of lifestyle. Fighting monsters, saving princesses and kings, dueling other knights in honorable fashion! Doesn't it all sound so grand!?" The excitement in Leif's voice rose as she listed these things off. 

"So, of course the only way to make sure that I become a hero of legend is to of course live like one. Find a place to serve as my humble beginnings, find ways to help the people and build myself up from there. And besides, I have nothing to fear for the time being. After all, a hero must go through many life threatening perils first before they can finally meet their end, if they even do." She seemed to state this as a matter of fact. Looking curious towards Miro, she asked, "and how about yourself? I am none too familiar with the animal folk and would presume you none too interested in human affairs." 

After regrouping with the others, and presenting the threatening letter to the others, Mina sat by and discussed things with the group. Well... "Discussed" being just nodding and agreeing with what the others said, all the while APPA tilted it's head at the knightly human's canine companion. With this talk of splitting up, the little robot wheeled over to the canine with the intent on teaming up with it.

It seemed like Mina was to head to the engine room with Percival while the others head elsewhere.

"Pivotal engine / Without it we are all lost / Guardian needed"

Mina simply raised her eyebrow at Percival's haiku talk, kinda reminded her of this assassin she heard about once in a book she read. "Rrrright... Well... I guess we better head that way... I'm interested to see what's got this whole train chugging along." Mina said as she adjusted her pack and walked ahead, tail wagging as she walked.

Leif sounded like a little girl describing a fairy tail the way she worded her motivations. It wasn't altogether a foreign concept to the Senki who had long idolized his father and the other brave warriors of his people. He was further surprised at her comfort with the situation at hand, believing that as she was in no present danger there was little need to worry herself. It seemed like a sound enough idea, just not Miro could allow himself to follow. That just isn't what a warrior ought to do. They ought to always be thinking of the next move and what could happen. With her answer given she turned the question back on the giver, assuming that "animal folk" would care little of human life. The term was brushing up against a word that would anger him so he was glad he had the opportunity to set it straight without lashing out.

"We Senki," he said, emphasizing the name of his race. "Are a proud warrior race. In recent years my people have begun more closely interacting with yours. To me at least, it seems inevitable that our worlds will collide more and more as time marches on. In light of that I took it upon myself to learn of you where other of the older among us would not. Taking part in guild activities serves to allow me to interact with more people as well as let them see us for what we are." he continued as his tail swayed more energetically as he spoke.

"As I make a name for myself, I tell the world to give the Senki the respect they deserve. Soon we'll be a common sight among you, our talents recognized and our lack of relation to any type of animal made clear." he said bringing it back fully around to the animal folk reference. It was very important to make the distinction before the hated word crossed someone's lips and said someone found themselves without a head.

Despite the fact they were walking and talking, the train was not so overly large as to make their trip take a very long time. Soon they would be approaching the cabin Miro took note of. He wasn't sure if the woman would be up to talking at the moment, or if she was even there. But it was their only starting point. Otherwise they'd have to start asking other people at more general things.

"This should be it. The woman here saw the boy before we did but said nothing before departing. If you know any secrets to making distressed women talk, now would be the time to utilize them."

Interrogation Team

Miro and Leif managed to arrive at the right cabin that they were looking for, however, as it was still 3 in the morning at the time they were there, no matter how often they knocked, no answers would come from inside. During the morning however, the two would find the woman opening the door as she was going to eat breakfast, but she was surprised at seeing the two people waiting for her outside. The woman recognized Miro, and seemed to consider whether she should return back to her cabin or not, however she ended up steeling herself and continued on her way, addressing the two in the meantime.

"You're...the Senki from last night, right? Is this your friend?"

Her walk was unsteady. From her appearance, it seemed that she was someone of a noble birth, which made it strange that she was travelling on her own. Her expression was tired, but as she talked to Miro and Leif, she attempted her best in keeping eye contact with them.

"Are you going to ask me about last night? If so...may I eat something first? It's a terrible event, I can barely even sleep. Let's go to the dining car together if you may."

Engine Team

During the time that Percival and Mina arrived on the engine room, one of the train's employees prevented them from coming in, saying something about how the engine was currently under maintenance and that the two should return on the morning. As the employee was insistent about it, both Percival and Mina would only be able to enter during the promised time. The engine room was more vast than either would expect, as if it was larger on the inside. At the center of the room, there was a complicated-looking machinery where pipes that covered the room were connected to. For a machine of this age, the engine was surprisingly silent and lacking in smoke even as the two would be able to see that the center of it was shining, as if a fire was blazing inside.

From a quick glance, there seemed to be no problems on the engine. However, Mina would be able to notice that this engine was somehow similar with the ancient water heater that she and the Guildmaster tended underneath the guild building a few days ago. Mina might be able to perform a more closer inspection with how familiar the engine would be, but if any employees caught them in the act, the two could get into a big trouble. There were no one else nearby at the time, but they had to decide fast before an employee come and supervise their actions there.

Snow and APPA

From their short time of searching for the howling noise around the station before the train would depart from the Capital City and the Island of Melia, Snow and APPA would find nothing that could be the culprit, however, they found the faint footprints of what looked like a gigantic beast in the middle of the station's walkway. It was strange of course. Something big enough to make such a footprint would take people's attention, but everyone there were seemingly busy with their own business. Snow would also pick up some scent of something strange that would make it feel really wary, but it would be an unfamiliar scent that he wouldn't be able to recognize for now, aside from some faint memories that might or might now even be related to it.

"When are we supposed to reach Oriad?"

"The schedule said that it should be in eight hour but..." The old woman looked outside of the train, seeing how the train only recently left the island in the morning and just now entering the sea railway. It had been four hours since the train departed from Mellia. "Why do we only left Melia now? We've been traveling nonstop since the train's last stop in Taxus, right?"

"That sure is strange..." The worried looking man looked outside of the window too now. "It seems that the rumors circulating about this train becomes more and more true as days passed.

This train surely is cursed."

gq7AP6h.png?1

Leif had a curious expression on her face as Miro began talking about his people, though it was hard to tell how much she was completely listening. All the same, when Miro finished speaking, she said, "ah, so you wish to become a great warrior and spread that legend of your people as well. Well, I wish you the best of luck in the crafting of your tale Miro." With a content smile, the girl continued walking alongside the Senki boy until they had finally made their way to the cabin that the woman in question was in. However, despite their efforts in trying to knock on the girl's door and call for her, they were getting nowhere and there was no response. When it didn't immediately work, Leif was fine. However, as they began to wait across the hours of the night, the girl started to tap her foot and her face seemed to become far less patient in the matter. 

A small scowl started to form, but was broken with joyous relief as the woman they were supposed to speak to had left her room. As the woman mentioned getting breakfast, the girl nodded saying, "that sounds like an excellent idea." Once the group was in the dining car and seated, Leif began to speak once more. "I apologize for barging in on your room so early in the morn, it does feel dreadfully rude to do so, yet it is a matter of utmost importance. Before that though, I ma Leif and this is one of my companions in this investigation, Miro. Might I have your name, Miss?"

"Ah, My name is Hilda. Hilda Brune." With the three being seated, the waiters presented the food to them. This morning, the menu was soup coupled with fish fillet and fresh salad. She gulped an entire glass of water before continuing. "Pardon me, but you two didn't look like what I would expect from people investigating something this serious. Where are you two from?"

Bright eyed over the food with them, Leif looked ready to dig into the food, though stopping as the woman asked about them. "Oh, fret not over our qualifications in the matter Ms. Hilda. We are of the, soon to be famous, guild of Cherry Heart."

"Ah, Cherry Heart? I think I heard about your guild on my last time going to Prunus. Promising new guild, they said." Her expression was still down, but she forced a smile. "I didn't expect an actual murder to happen."

Leif seems to be momentarily taken aback, though elated, that her guild was referred to as promising. However, she then takes on a more soft and serious expression as she says, "right. It is my deepest regret as a knight that I was unable to stop such a crime from happening, but I can only make things right by preventing it from happening to anyone else. So, I must ask if you would be able to give us any information on the crime in question."

"Alright. I'm not sure how much I will be able to help, but I am willing to answer your questions."

"Excellent." The woman claps her hands together, before calming a bit and saying, "well, first things first. Were you familiar with the victim at all?"

"Not really, no. I never met him before. I was just too horrified about seeing a child like that, dying in what seems to be a murder like this."

Leif nodded before saying, "did you happen to see how the murder transpired or was the deceased, well, deceased when you arrived?"

"The latter. I was going to the bathroom when I heard something hard dropped, and when I was there, I saw the body. I was first to arrive, as far as I know."

"I see." The girl nodded a bit, before turning to her Senki companion, gesturing her head from him to her, as if telling him to talk as well. 

"Rrrright... Well... I guess we better head that way... I'm interested to see what's got this whole train chugging along."

"Indeed! It must be something of great mystery and power to move such a massive contraption! Let us be off!" It was unfortunate, however, that they would not be able to see the engine until morning.

With a heavy heart, Percival turned to his companion. "Unfortunate night / A missed opportunity / Mystery lives on". In the end the pair decided to return in the morning. They would attempt to get a couple hours of sleep but Percival, for one, would have trouble sleeping. Too nervous, nay, excited, about this trip was he that he would simply stare at the window while pondering what Snow had seen, and he too vicariously, earlier.

Snow had followed the rather unusual tracks to the very place that the group had been discussing plans earlier that day. It baffled the young man as he surely would have seen a large beast nearby. Whatever the case it was quite possible, if this beast had something to do with the villain, and Percival was convinced it was to the villain what Snow was to him, that the villain knew of their plans. But he could not falter, the villain surely would try and defeat him to sabotage the engine after all!

It was dark outside, the sun barely visible on the horizon. From what the young man could tell they had already arrived on the sea. It didn't quite strike him as odd as he was more focused on the fact that he had never seen the sea before. It wasn't until later that day that something odd would cross his mind....

---

The next day Mina and Percival made their way to the engine room again. And, must to Percival's amazement, the room was quite large and impressive. He seemed a bit wary about entering but, glancing over at Mina, he straightened up and charged ahead. "This is impressive, yes, but I have seen much more amazing sights in my travels." He declared. Glancing over at Mina, he muttered under his breath. "Perhaps you should check it closer to be safe. You never know what foul machinations a villain may have in hiding. I shall keep watch and distract any who try and stop you."

He then would place himself nearby and keep an eye, the one that he could, out. for employees. If any approached he would greet them loudly enough for Mina to hear and try and make his way towards them to regale them with an epic tale of bravery from Back East.

While this was going on Snow was patrolling the train itself. At one point he hopped up to look out the window. The dog noticed that they were leaving the island and, thinking his human would like to see this, signaled to the young man to activate their magic.

Which would leave Percival rather confused as to how he had seen them on the sea earlier in the day if they only just left.

In some regard, Leif seemed to understand the Senki on a fundamental level. She summarized Miro's basic goal rather well. He still wasn't sure what to make of the distant air about her but whatever front she was putting on she was still fairly perceptive. The two attempted to get a hold of the woman he had seen earlier but there seemed to be no answer. They seemed to have a moment to rest so long as this wait continued but rather than sleep the weasel began pacing up and down the car, examining the windows for signs of breaks or cracks. Surely he thought one had to be broken. He'd heard glass break. He must have just been mixed up earlier in the evening. As he looked outside closer to 5 AM he saw it was largely dark outside. Lights from the train and the beginnings of sunrise were helping light the world. Even in this minimal lighting it was clear that the train had already left land and was now entirely over the ocean. The Senki took it in for a moment, and after concluding there was no broken window here, returned to the car with Leif. After a tiring wait the woman showed up and recognized the weasel. But how she said it caught Miro's ears. She used his race's name, which was very uncommon of most anyone he met.

"Something like that, yes." he replied to the query about Leif's status as a friend. She wanted to eat first which seemed fine so the trio left for the dining car. After arriving they were seated at a table with an odd look or two from some of the other patrons and staff at the sight of a nude weasel person. But Hilda as she introduced herself seemed comfortable enough around him. They were presented with an interesting assortment of food but conversation took over before the first bites were taken. Miro kept quiet for the initial exchanges, leaving it to Leif to open the woman to conversation. Rather than do formal introductions his comrade opted to introduce them as members of Cherry Heart, a name Hilda seemed to recognize to some extent. They got right to the details of the night before. Hilda claimed no familiarity with the victim and hadn't seen the murder take place but she had been the first to scene. Miro seemed a bit off guard as both women's gazed shifted down and over to him. It was his turn then.

"Ahem," he sounded after a drink, a touch nervous for the situation. But it wasn't anything a Senki warrior couldn't handle. "You mentioned the sound of something dropping. We found the boy hanging from the lights. Perhaps I didn't scan the room as carefully as I ought to have but did you see anything that might have caused it?"

"I'm not exactly sure but...I think it's not something too heavy. Maybe of the size of a brick or so, or maybe even smaller. But it makes a really noticeable noise. A metallic ringing." came Hilda's reply. Miro pondered what could have made a metallic ringing in that situation before posing another question.

"And you're certain no one passed you on your way to the scene? Not even something like a shadow?" he asked. The way the intruder had moved upon entering had been strange and so a moving shadow seemed the best way to put it.

"A shadow..." Hilda thought about it for a while, seemingly trying to remember something.. "Not sure, but I think I saw someone hurrying to the bathroom before me. They were moving quite fast though, so I'm not sure how they looked." she said, her pondering concluded. The idea seemed plausible enough. But just the fact someone was racing about that late at night given the circumstances was suspicious. Regardless it was far too late to try and find this person given the amount of time that had elapsed. And if Hilda had no information on his appearance they'd have to be questioning everyone on the train.

"I think we should return to the scene of the crime and search for what might have made the noise." he said to Leif as a suggested course of action. He then turned his one open back to Hilda. "Thank you for discussing this with us. Though I must ask... have you seen Senki before?" he asked, the thought having occupied his mind since she first correctly identified him.

"Oh yeah, I've seen one. One of my associates is a Senki too." came the casual reply. That caught the weasel a bit off guard. Who it was he had little guess but he hadn't figured one of his own to be caught up in the affairs of the richer humans.

"No wonder I don't alarm you. Thank you for referring to us correctly, it means a lot." he said before turning it back to Leif if she had any remaining questions. He meanwhile, was tired and hungry and had the remedy to one of those problems directly in front of him. He began eating the strange human cuisine with a mixture of trepidation and curiosity and was pleased with the outcome.

As it was too late to check on the engine room, so they had to wait in the morning. Besides some weird footprints, APPA had no luck either. They needed to find this terrorist quick, or they might end up victims on the train like everyone else.

When morning came, it looked like they were close to the sea. Mina shivered at the sight of the large body of water before following Percival to the engine room, with APPA close behind her. They managed to actually get in to see the engine, it was impressive to say the least, it beared a resemblance to the ancient water heater that was under the guild building, which means it might have the same machinations to it.

"This is impressive, yes, but I have seen much more amazing sights in my travels." He declared. Glancing over at Mina, he muttered under his breath. "Perhaps you should check it closer to be safe. You never know what foul machinations a villain may have in hiding. I shall keep watch and distract any who try and stop you."

Mina gave a slight chuckle at Percival before getting a closer look. "I'll be quick..." she said. Unfortunately, she had to be quick. It would look bad if she was caught near the engine, people might get the wrong idea. She looked the engine over, took a look at some of the parts, and winced in pain before yanking her hand away. "Ok... Too hot to touch... Should've thought of that..." she mumbled to herself.

As far as she could tell, nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the engine, though a slight tapping caught her attention. APPA was tapping on a bit of piping, on closer inspection the pipe looked like it had been messed with. "What do we have here?" Mina examined pipe and after a few seconds shook her head. "Can't open this... That steam will hurt more than a little burn... But why is this specific pipe messed up?"

Interrogation Team

HIlda did not say any further word as she finally start eating once the series of questions had finished. Around them, there were quite a few tables that were empty, indicating that there were not that much high-profile passengers were present, although Leif and Miro would notice the presence of the old man that Miro interrogated last night sitting alone on one of the tables, fiddling with something underneath his seat.

Everything seemed to go quite pleasant so far.

"I am curious however." Hilda finally spoke again after a moment of silence, seemingly having figured out something. "Do you know anything about the strangely armed men and women boarding this train? They carried strange sword and firearms and were trying to hide it. I saw a few near sunset yesterday. I didn't think of it much since at this day and age people carry weapon with them without much questioning, but I couldn't help but feel concerned.

It is as if there were assassins lurking in the midst of us now."

Engine Team

The voice of the train employees were heard from the distance by Snow not long after Mina concluded her investigation of the engine. Due to this early detection, both Mina and Percival was able to get out of their suspicious position before anyone noticed them. As they walked away from the place and perhaps talking about what to do next, one of the employees passed them, and asked them to stop and listen to what he had to say.

"Listen. Can you two go to the employee's car near the back of the train? We have found trespassers...well, to be exact, we found the mother of the child that died last night."

"Faithful companion / Without we would certainly fail / Ever vigilant" This was Percival's cue to Mina that they must be off. Snow had detected some people heading their way and it would not do to look suspicious, even if he were a heroic figure. The most villainous of villains would know to dress as a hero. But then...what if his heroic companions were...no, no, it was not possible.

Somewhat troubled, on their way out, Percival asked Mina if she noticed anything amiss with the engine. And if they should try and return later. Perhaps he could keep Snow in the area to alert them of any trespassers and ne'er-do-wells.

He knew not what they should do now. There was no obvious leads and he had no foe to match blades with. It was most vexing.

"Listen. Can you two go to the employee's car near the back of the train? We have found trespassers...well, to be exact, we found the mother of the child that died last night."

What luck! A chance has fallen into their laps. "Truly this is my heroic aura drawing in the next piece of this puzzle! Mina, we must move with haste to see where this clue may lead!"

Even as he said this Percival braced himself inwardly. He had never dealt with a mother who had lost his son, quite the opposite, and he felt a pit in his stomach even as they made their way to her. Still, he could not balk when something as big as this fell into their laps.

[spoiler=OOC]If Mina thinks it a good idea Snow will patrol around the engine room otherwise he'll be following the group, staring at Mina's tail.

"Faithful companion / Without we would certainly fail / Ever vigilant" It seemed like the investigation was cut short, as that was Percival's cue to Mina that they needed to go before they were caught messing with the engine. Luckily, they posed innocently as the train engineers passed by and they were able to get out of the engine room with no fuss. As they left, Percival had asked Mina if she had seen anything remotely suspicious. Besides the strangely tampered pipe, she explained that nothing else was out of the ordinary with the train's engine.

As they made they're way back to regroup, the duo were stopped by one of the train's attendants. "Listen. Can you two go to the employee's car near the back of the train? We have found trespassers...well, to be exact, we found the mother of the child that died last night."

The child that Percival and Miro talked about? Well this was just great...

"Truly this is my heroic aura drawing in the next piece of this puzzle! Mina, we must move with haste to see where this clue may lead!" Mina crossed her arms and sighed.

"Don't know how this is a clue, but ok... If it comes to it you may want to let me do the talking though, alright?" Mina asked him as they made their way to the train car. As they did, Mina glanced at Snow, who was looking curiously at Mina's tail. What's with this canine?

gq7AP6h.png?1

Leif had raised a curious eyebrow as the woman mentioned something about assassins aboard the train. While she was most certainly curious about that, her attention was drawn towards the man who seemed to be fiddling with something, rather disgruntled. The girl looked to Miro, who through his own look seemed to confirm that he was a man the young weasel boy had told her about earlier and so, thinking it prudent to go see what was up with him, the woman excused herself from the table. Making her way over to the man, with a friendly face she asked, "excuse me sir, are you having troubles with something?"

"Scram off, mind your own business." The man said, before continuing to fiddle with what was keeping his attention under the table.

While the girl was able to see that there was some kind of metallic glint from it, instead of pressing forward on the object itself, the girl seemed more annoyed with the man before her. Pouting a bit, the girl said, "why, a simple 'I am fine, thank you,' would suffice. You merely seemed to be having troubles and as a knight to be it is part of my duty to make sure that you are fine."

"I'm fine with myself. What are you kids even doing here, anyway? Thinking you're some big shot detectives or something?"

"I wouldn't say we are 'big shot detectives,' more just guild folk doing their jobs. Though, if we appear like big shot detectives then all the better!" She then seemed to smile and nod to herself at this.

"Then go be satisfied somewhere else before I call the staffs here to get you away!"

As the man made his rather rude threats to the girl, her smile faded into a far more annoyed expression. Crossing her arms together and clear frustration in her tone the girl said, "well fine. Your manners are hardly becoming of a gentleman and so I shan't bother my time with such a rube." And with a quick stomp and turn, the girl marched away from the man. Moving back to the table, in a huff the girl merely sat down and began to go back to eating her food more hastily. 

Miro was alerted by Hilda's final comments. People had been boarding the train with weapons. Swords and other things the woman found to be unfamiliar. And just the idea of assassins being on board along with the death of the boy made it all too strange. Leif's attention was caught by that of the old man from the previous evening. The weasel had without words confirmed to the girl he was the one he'd told her about and so she went to speak with him. It seemed the conversation went about as well as those of the evening. The man was not one to speak openly with those he was unfamiliar with. Before long his guildmate was back at the table eating her food. Miro ran through more ideas as he picked at the food before him. Still, whatever the old man was messing with caught his attention. Just for his having been at the scene of the murder last night it seemed natural to be suspicious of him.

"Time to try my hand." he said softly to Leif after enough internal review of the situation. The weasel stood from his seat and paused for a moment to ensure his scythe was safely placed so as to not accidentally fall or harm anyone. Then he took to the floor on all fours. As it stood he was already shorter than most of the people on the train but now he was very low to the ground. He hoped to get a better look at what was happening under the table. He scanned the room for shadows. They could come in handy for his approach. He silenced his breathing and halted his tail's movements as he inched forward along the ground. His eye fixed on the man's movements to see if he could get a glimpse of what he was doing. There were curtains obscuring the bottom of the tables but the shadows cast from the others gave him a path. There would be a bit of a gap but he felt he could get in under without the man's notice.

All at once Miro vanished entirely from sight as his Korak Senke made him seem to melt away into the table's shadow. Now it was a matter of moving slowly among the shadows. He shuffled ahead at a relaxed pace, careful of anyone moving about the room. Then there was the gap. He'd need another shadow to cross unseen. Thankfully a waiter arrived and stood by the man's table. He seemed to simply be checking in on him. Regardless the weasel used the man's shadow to slip in under the older man's table unnoticed. It was only then he saw what the man was fidgeting with. There was a revolver in his hands. Miro had seen human fire arms occasionally so he knew enough to know this was an unusual setting for one. Upon looking closer he saw that the gun was fully loaded as well. Given the man was on edge, this fact made it seem like he was ready to fire at a moment's notice. The Senki was only inches away yet he still seemed unnoticed. This was too suspicious. This was a chance to actually get something out of him. But the man's grip was tight around his weapon.

"Who are you going to hurt..." Miro thought as he stayed in place watching. He was in a good spot. If the man's grip loosened he could snatch it away. If the man went to use the weapon he'd be in a prime position to stop him. Patience was important. He was unnoticed, there was no rush. Lessons from his training cycled through his head as he made sure to keep his breathing and tail steady. He would seize the ideal moment.

Interrogation Team

Miro's sneaking went seemingly unnoticed, though the man looked at Hilda and Leif's direction with a disgruntled expression for a few moments, seemingly noticing that Miro was no longer there. However, he continued to fiddle with his gun even when Miro was watching over him underneath the table. This continued for at least a quarter of hour, and at that time the only ones that were left in the dining car were him, Miro, Leif, and Hilda. With no waiters or train workers around at the time, the man seemingly grasped the gun as if he was getting ready to fire it somewhere, but ultimately he didn't, instead choosing to put it on his pocket before leaving. He still had not noticed Miro yet. In the meantime, Hilda continued to enjoy her meal, although she occasionally looked at the man in displeasure.

Engine Team

The two of Mina and Percival would go to the employee's car as had been directed, and they would be met with a woman, tears drying on her face while a few of the train's employees were watching over her. Seeing the two arriving, one of the employees approached them.

"She hasn't been in a position to talk ever since she saw the body, but perhaps you might fare better than us."

The Senki's focus was sharp. Minutes dragged on of the man continuing to fiddle with his firearm. Miro took note as his grip tightened. There seemed to be an intent to use the weapon which Miro was ready to intercept. But in the end the man did nothing with it. He placed it away in a pocket and got up to leave. The killing intent had been almost palpable for a moment. The naked weasel quietly slipped out from under the table after the man, knowing he needed to get that weapon away from him. He looked over toward Hilda and Leif, silently signalling to remain quiet with a finger raised to his lips in case they should notice him and try calling out. Miro thought to return to his seat at their table to retrieve his scythe. But if Hilda had taught him anything it was he needed to pursue people immediately at risk of losing them for some hours. And a man with a gun who was ready to kill was not someone to lose for a day.

He pursued the old man, still low to the ground on all fours. His steps were light, almost soundless. His breath stayed silent as it had since he'd started sneaking about. His eye was locked on to the pocket with the gun. In fact, this felt important enough that Miro opened his scarred eye. This had to be one quick motion. The gun would be his before the man could react. Without his weapon perhaps he would finally consider talking to them. The weasel caught up quickly enough and as he approached he stood back up on his legs, needing his hands for the task at hand. He took stock of every shadow, ready to vanish from sight should the man turn around. But he was getting closer. Still nothing from the man. Miro reached out his hand. It was mere inches from the man's pocket. This was his chance. He took off as fast he could from his position. It was over. He was in front of the man, his own gun now staring him down in the paw-like hand.

"I do believe I'm curious who you intended to kill with this. Care to come sit down and talk?" he said slyly while pointing the weapon at the man. Miro had little experience with firearms but understood the method. He held it tightly and hovered a finger over the trigger. It felt unnatural not having his scythe on him. This gun had to be enough leverage.

"I do believe I'm curious who you intended to kill with this. Care to come sit down and talk?"

The old man stopped in his tracks as Miro appeared out of nowhere before him, with his own  gun being aimed at him. His expression was at first that of a surprise, but quickly turned into anger and disgust. He was shaking, but did not move from his place as Miro had ordered him to.

"Bah, what does a subhuman child like you know about the matter of adults? Mind your own business and stop playing detective if value your life and the life of everyone else here." Then, out of the sudden, the old man quickly pulled another gun from his other pocket, aiming it at Miro. It happened n a lightning speed, not even Miro was able to see him moving his hand to grab the weapon.

"Two can play this game. If you think you can achieve anything meaningful with your amateur and misguided investigation, then shoot me.

I will not hesitate to shoot you too if you stand in my way."

Making it to the train car, Mina saw the mother sitting by herself, with a tear stained face. The attendants looked as if they had attempted to calm her down and get questions of their own. Mina took a deep breath and walked over to the woman, offering her a tissue. She accepted the gesture and took the tissue. Mina nodded slightly and sat opposite from the woman. "I'm sorry what happened to your son... I know your pain, in a reverse fashion though... I lost my mother when I was young..." she said trying to start a conversation. Obviously, it wasn't a good start as the woman just stared silently at Mina. "I-i'm sorry if I'm being a little rude... My name is Mina..." she said bowing her head a bit.

"What do you want from me? Haven't all of you asked enough questions?" It seemed like the train attendants had caused this woman a bit too much stress over the situation with her son.

"Ma'am... Please... I'm just trying to help." she said calmly. "I'm with the Cherry Heart guild..." Mina tried to explain herself in a manner that would seem trustworthy, she needed to calm her, but also get some info. Thankfully, the lady was willing to talk, but only in private. Mina sighed quietly and nodded, she got up and after convincing the attendants to leave the car, sat back down. She also made a point to say that Percival was with her so he wouldn't get kicked out along with the train attendants. "Ok... It's just us now..." she said shifting in her seat a bit. "If you don't want to answer any of our questions, that's fine..."

The woman seemed willing to talk now though. "I boarded this train with my son in secret, hiding in the back car. We just wanted to get away from Melia, but my son suddenly disappeared not long after we both got in."

Mina looked at percival before looking back at the woman. "Why were you trying to get away?"

"... Can I ask why you were being hunted? Maybe we can protect you." Mina insisted.

"I don't know, but it doesn't matter now. I have no more reason to run" the mother said in a tear jerking way. She went on to explain that her son was a sweet boy, but he was prone to making bad friends.

"Bad friends? What do you mean by that?" Mina asked.

"I dont know either. He somehow made friends with a few strange people, and then a while ago suddenly our place was surrounded by Fraxinus' royal guard." Well that didn't sound good.

"So that's why you ran..." mina thought for a moment. "You've heard about the rumored threats towards this train, right?" she asked.

"Yes, but...we really have no other choice." the mother seemed so defeated, life just wasn't going right for her.

"Hm..." mina turned to percival. "You want to ask anything?" she asked him.

"I'm sorry what happened to your son... I know your pain, in a reverse fashion though... I lost my mother when I was young..."

Percival was surprisingly silent as Mina talked to the woman. Loss. It was a dreadful thing, truly. It changed your entire life in a single instant. From the moment you lose someone to the moment you, yourself, die, it stays with you. As the girl spoke with the woman, as they heard the story, Rudy was hearing a different sound.

Shouts and pleas for mercy. People looking for their loved ones. People begging for their life. Gruff, uncaring, voices responding. Noises of shattering doors, and windows, footsteps everywhere. The crackle of fires spreading.

Snow nudged Rudy's hand with his wet nose and the boy blinked back into reality.

Just in time for Mina to glance over at him before turning back to the woman. "... Can I ask why you were being hunted? Maybe we can protect you."

It seemed the woman had been running from the law itself. Rudy's hand gripped into a fist. Justice says that if this woman was harboring a criminal, as it seemed her boy had been, that she should be turned over...But her son had been the one to fall in with a bad crowd. And he didn't know what the son had done specifically...And now the boy was dead. Justice was supposed to be straightforward but this...this was not.

"Hm..." Mina turned to Percival. "You want to ask anything?"

Rudy knelt down by the woman, looking her in the eyes. "I will find whoever did this and bring them to justice. I know it will not bring your loved one back, but...it is all that I can do. I promise to do what I can to honor his memory."

He had no questions. Rather he could not bring himself to ask anything more of this woman who had already given, already lost, so much.

Irritation flashed across Miro's face as the man referred to him as a subhuman child. Neither descriptor pleased the young adult Senki. This anger had little time to simmer as the man produced a second gun at a speed the weasel hadn't been able to follow, even with both of his eyes open and trained on him. He flinched a bit as now both of them were staring down the barrel of a gun. The old human goaded him into shooting him, stating his investigation wouldn't accomplish anything. And yet the way he spoke. This man had to be connected to the things going on here. He had been there where the child died. He had multiple guns on his person he was prepared to use on other passengers. Miro needed to get him talking, this was their chance to really make a break in the case. But that was going to require subduing the man.

Both seemed ready to fire but the Senki moved slightly faster, pointing his gun at the man's hand. He pulled back on the trigger and shot at the hand holding the second gun. The bullet pierced the flesh and the recoil seemed to knock the man's hand around just enough. The old man's shot barely missed Miro. Despite his injury the man moved to immediately prepare another another shot. Miro was quick though and managed to move behind the man. He scrambled up his back enough to let his tail wrap around the man's neck to begin choking him. The man struggled of course but in a way the Senki had never seen. The man's head turned a full one hundred eighty degrees to face back toward him. The hand with the gun began contorting such as to still get a shot in at the weasel too.

"What are you?!" he shouted at the clearly inhuman creature. For all his hateful speech, this was the real subhuman. Miro released his tail's grip on the man as it was proving ineffective and kicked off the man's back. He tumbled through the air, turning around midair just in time to land on his feet. He began moving back toward the dining car, hoping to recover his weapon and enlist Leif's aid in apprehending this monster. As he got closer he would begin yelling at those inside to get down, not wanting the man to be able to shoot Hilda or Leif before he could disarm him.

Archived