[Link Monster] Laser Core Link Dragon

guilmondude

BRa9G.jpg

+2 Effect Monsters, including a Special Summoned Monster of WIND, EARTH or LIGHT attribute.

Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: if a Monster this card points to is destroyed by a card effect; deal damage equal to that monster's ATK to the opponent. While this card is in the Extra Monster Zone and you control at least 1 monster in your Main Monster Zone this card cannot be targeted for Attacks and Card Effects.           

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that this dragon like the other 4 dimensional dragons with the exception of odd-eyes have a possiblity of being somewhat splashable in different decks. A little what if there was a link dimension in yugioh arc-v. Now i'm not too knowledgeable on the current hot meta with link monsters or too big on link in general so let me know if this sounds alright.

The little flavor being the "laser" part as him zapping the opponent when a creature connected to him through the "core" part of the card is destroyed by non-combat means. He is meant to be run in decks that want to keep him around since he has markers that make it easy to summon multiple extra-deck monsters without being overly expensive or restrictive while protecting them with a big burst of damage if they are to be destroyed by card effects while protecting himself.

I'm not a big fan of restrictive link only cards and i usually like those that support archetypes, the other summoning methods or just generally more support centrict than big link beaters given link has the free reign of fast summoning, making a good link card better than a good extra deck card.

+2 Effect Monsters, including a Special Summoned Monster of WIND, EARTH or LIGHT attribute.

Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: if a Monster this card points to is destroyed by a card effect; deal damage equal to that monster's ATK to the opponent. While this card is in the Extra Monster Zone and you control at least 1 monster in your Main Monster Zone this card cannot be targeted for Attacks and Card Effects.           

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that this dragon like the other 4 dimensional dragons with the exception of odd-eyes have a possiblity of being somewhat splashable in different decks. A little what if there was a link dimension in yugioh arc-v. Now i'm not too knowledgeable on the current hot meta with link monsters or too big on link in general so let me know if this sounds alright.

The little flavor being the "laser" part as him zapping the opponent when a creature connected to him through the "core" part of the card is destroyed by non-combat means. He is meant to be run in decks that want to keep him around since he has markers that make it easy to summon multiple extra-deck monsters without being overly expensive or restrictive while protecting them with a big burst of damage if they are to be destroyed by card effects while protecting himself.

I'm not a big fan of restrictive link only cards and i usually like those that support archetypes, the other summoning methods or just generally more support centrict than big link beaters given link has the free reign of fast summoning, making a good link card better than a good extra deck card.

So where Odd-Eyes deals extra damage, Dark Rebelion lowers enemies and gains from it, Clear Wing halts and protects large monsters, and Starving Venom mimics an opponents monsters, this one works with protecting itself by discouraging the opponent to destroy its Linked monster with burn, all that and being immune to targeting while it has a comrade? This is interesting, because this one doesn't stand out as it's own threat. It's a more unified idea, while still being fair enough to lose to Torrential Tribute, Raigeki, etc.

I'll admit I didn't even see the relation to the Dimensional Dragons, but that might come from the art. Once I read through properly I did think that maybe it should change attribute to not clash with Clear Wing, until I realised Rebellion and Venom are both DARK, so, bin that thought! The specifics for the Summon threw me. Is there a reason to specify WIND, EARTH and/or LIGHT? The others are generic (bar Venom, but that's a literal combination of 2 DARK creatures giving rise to a DARK monstrosity, while Clear Wing and Rebellion are more summoned via gateways, same as Link Summoning).

Overall it doesn't offer any plus, and it's trying to be an imposing monster. It's not a flagship monster for a deck, but something that you could make, kinda like where Decode Talker is now. The arrows are VERY good though, so maybe that'll be the key factor in its play. I think the game here is throwing off your opponents strategy. They wanna pop the Linked monster but the burn would suck/game them, so they need to hit Laser Core. I like it, I don't see an issue with it tbh.

So where Odd-Eyes deals extra damage, Dark Rebelion lowers enemies and gains from it, Clear Wing halts and protects large monsters, and Starving Venom mimics an opponents monsters, this one works with protecting itself by discouraging the opponent to destroy its Linked monster with burn, all that and being immune to targeting while it has a comrade? This is interesting, because this one doesn't stand out as it's own threat. It's a more unified idea, while still being fair enough to lose to Torrential Tribute, Raigeki, etc.

I'll admit I didn't even see the relation to the Dimensional Dragons, but that might come from the art. Once I read through properly I did think that maybe it should change attribute to not clash with Clear Wing, until I realised Rebellion and Venom are both DARK, so, bin that thought! The specifics for the Summon threw me. Is there a reason to specify WIND, EARTH and/or LIGHT? The others are generic (bar Venom, but that's a literal combination of 2 DARK creatures giving rise to a DARK monstrosity, while Clear Wing and Rebellion are more summoned via gateways, same as Link Summoning).

Overall it doesn't offer any plus, and it's trying to be an imposing monster. It's not a flagship monster for a deck, but something that you could make, kinda like where Decode Talker is now. The arrows are VERY good though, so maybe that'll be the key factor in its play. I think the game here is throwing off your opponents strategy. They wanna pop the Linked monster but the burn would suck/game them, so they need to hit Laser Core. I like it, I don't see an issue with it tbh.

Thanks for the reply!

And yeah his summoning requirements are a little more specific like starving venom but thats because they are both a little stronger than the others (though clear wing is probably still the best out of all of them) and i'm not a big fan of cards you can put in every deck like xyz monsters that are way too versatile. I was going for the attribute of machine type monsters but instead of earth its dark so i'll change that.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the relation to the dragons though, it popped into my head when i saw the art. Though i still feel he might be a bit underpowered and is missing a little something. I considered buffing his attack up to 2800 to be on par with starving venom given 3 effect monsters is a bit of a steep requirement and his effects arent insanely good like the talkers.

Thanks for the reply!

And yeah his summoning requirements are a little more specific like starving venom but thats because they are both a little stronger than the others (though clear wing is probably still the best out of all of them) and i'm not a big fan of cards you can put in every deck like xyz monsters that are way too versatile. I was going for the attribute of machine type monsters but instead of earth its dark so i'll change that.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the relation to the dragons though, it popped into my head when i saw the art. Though i still feel he might be a bit underpowered and is missing a little something. I considered buffing his attack up to 2800 to be on par with starving venom given 3 effect monsters is a bit of a steep requirement and his effects arent insanely good like the talkers.

With all due respect, and purely from my opinion, I don't think that's quite right. Starving Venom (SV) is 2800, a good stat, but its effect is only as strong as the opponents monster on board. While Light Core (LC) itself isn't "strong" in the aggresive sense, it's defensive. It can't be targeted, and burns when it's comrades go. That's like a vengeful leader type.

I think relating to Starving Venom is the wrong approach, which I do mean without offence, but let's go along with it. SV isn't entirely generic because it requires Poly, and you couldn't just use any 2 monsters, for sure, so just stating DARK is both generic enough and lines up with it's lore a bit (kinda like it can form from the Darkness of all things, etc). SV has 2800 probably to make up for using an additional card to perform the summon (usually).

With those things in mind, and from your stance that the two actually do have more in common; Link-3 would require 3 monsters usually, so in this case boosting to 2800 kinda lines up with SV as a pattern. SV itself copies, and yours protects, but both retaliate when coming under fire (SV when it dies, LC when it's comrades do).

I think to allow a bit more generic use like LCs brethren you could make it's summon just a little more generic, but only a little more. Firstly by cutting out "Special Summoned" from requirements, and secondly, if you like, expand to include FIRE and WATER, so it makes from traditional, more elemental means (uses from resources and comrades around itself), for a bit of flavour. (You'll find a lot of Machines will line up with these attributes, too.)

This would then be a non-DARK monster with the following:

"2+ non-DARK Effect monsters,"

Or

"2+ Special Summoned non-DARK Effect monsters"

Or if sticking purely to EARTH, WIND and LIGHT is the only way that makes sense, then back to:

"2+ Special Summoned EARTH, WIND and/or LIGHT Effect monsters"

These edits actually make this card less generic, instead of only using one of the WIND EARTH or LIGHTs, they all need to, which I think would factor more similar style to SV.

I think the effect is good. Not everything needs to be a powerhouse, but this could have a lot of play anyway. With these edits it isn't a toolbox card either, so it can only work in certain decks.

Overall I really like this card. I think I just gone thrown off by the styles art (looks very similar to Vanguard and the like. Same design but different art style could probably do it great justice as a real card!)

Think you are ignoring the other two arguably better effects on starving venom which is the attack boost and destroying special summons on destruction, the copying effect is alright at best.

And i was comparing the two in terms of summong method like you said, starving venom requires 3 cards (poly + dark monster + dark monster) wheres link 3 requires 3 effect monsters so you cannot compare it to the other since they are generally easier to bring out with the exception of maybe clear wing.

I agree with needing all 3 being of those attributes though and that would probably make a good change. Either that or changing it to machine and dragons.

But yeah so you agree with it being 2800? link 3's range from 3000 (great ogre) or 2300 (talkers) and usually the talkers have a generally better effect than laser core, or just more ease to use.

Think you are ignoring the other two arguably better effects on starving venom which is the attack boost and destroying special summons on destruction, the copying effect is alright at best.

And i was comparing the two in terms of summong method like you said, starving venom requires 3 cards (poly + dark monster + dark monster) wheres link 3 requires 3 effect monsters so you cannot compare it to the other since they are generally easier to bring out with the exception of maybe clear wing.

I agree with needing all 3 being of those attributes though and that would probably make a good change. Either that or changing it to machine and dragons.

But yeah so you agree with it being 2800? link 3's range from 3000 (great ogre) or 2300 (talkers) and usually the talkers have a generally better effect than laser core, or just more ease to use.

I actually did forget it gets an ATK boost (I've never actually seen it do anything but board wipe), but the destruction effect was mentioned briefly. I didn't focus on it because big boss monsters with effects that trigger when destroyed don't really define it's stature in lore/flavor, but that doesn't matter now, everybody has the idea.

Yes I agree; 2800 seems fair overall, for the reasons you've suggested. I think the card is pretty much solid then. It isn't abusable which is fine.

Think unless other people have ideas and suggestions too, if say this is good to go :)

Archived