[Duel Links] Blam, Blam, Blam!

Hello, fine peoples!

Decided I had enough of a gem buffer to grab the new structure deck EX with Desperado Barrel Dragon.  It's just really fun to use even if it has some really bad matchups among the top decks.

For me, the concern with using DBD was that - unlike Red-Eyes, Neos, and even main deck bosses like Ancient Gears and Blue-Eyes - it isn't consistent.  There isn't an easy way to get it into the hand so that you can use it. ...or that's what I thought.  If you use LP Boost Alpha, you can search it out using "Card of the Soul".  It's still less consistent than R-E, but it's definitely better than nothing, and it's tons of fun dropping it during the opponent's turn and nuking their field.

Decklist:

Skill: LP Boost Alpha

1 Desperado Barrel Dragon - The heart and soul of the deck.  I only got one of the decks otherwise I'd try to run more.

1 Umbramirage the Elemental Lord - Another 5000 LP target for Card of the Soul.  Surprisingly, it hasn't felt overly clunky and I've been able to summon it a few times for a surprise victory.

1 BM-4 Blast Spider - A card that not only can steal games, but is just super helpful at board control.  In a deck that's not as Normal Summon reliant, this card could be exceptional.

2 Cyberdark Edge - Cyberdark package.  A free 1200 damage to the face is always nice.

1 Cyberdark Horn - Cyberdark package.  For those rare times when piercing through would deal more damage than flying over.  Debatable usefulness; usually used to feel out opponent's backrow.

3 Cyberdark Cannon - Cyberdark package.  Helpful for fueling both boss monsters.

1 Genex Ally Crusher - A helpful card if set up turn 1 or when in a winning position to lock down games.  If it was a bit easier to summon, then it'd share a top spot with Blast Spider, but... it's not.

2 Old Vindictive Magician - Just needed another decent DARK monster and didn't have DARK Machines that felt good enough to fit the bill.  That said, these have put in a surprising amount of work, so they aren't useless (just not "on-theme").

3 Card of the Soul - Consistency.  Honestly, I'm still surprised that this is a N card considering it usually searches boss-caliber monsters.

2 Dimensional Prison - Because banishing is ridiculously effective most of the time and DBD is already good at destruction.

3 Wall of Disruption - The monster output of this deck usually ranges from 2000 DEF to 2800 ATK.  Even an 800 point subtraction is usually enough to stall or reverse a battle that I'd normally lose.

[spoiler=Thoughts and changes]

Changes:

• First things first.  If I had a couple more of the structures, I'd take out OVM for 2 more copies of Spider.  They both fill the role of a first turn defensive card.  On its own, OVM fills the "first-turn" role better, but Spider is just as useful (if not more so) when going second, which gives it more of an edge.
  • I would also trade out Umbramirage for a second DBD.  Three feels overly clunky as they are a dead draw without another machine.
  • Finally, I'd probably take out Crusher, but I can't think of a card that would satisfactorily fit in its spot.  Maybe find something with different utility like Leng Ling to increase the power of the CyDarks or Unknown Synchron to open up new plays.  I dunno.

Deck Matchups:

I had fairly good matchups against Neos builds and different Yubel variants (both of 'em because this deck simply had so much destruction that I'd nuke their stuff before they could set up optimal boards).  R-E was tough and usually relied on DBD getting multiple heads or a well-timed trap card.  I hadn't faced any decent Ancient Gear builds and only a single competent B-E deck, so I couldn't really tell how good the deck was vs those.  The worst matchup by far is any deck with Subterror.  Since DBD and Spider only hit face-up cards, it's pretty much impossible to do anything once Subterror sets up.  Didn't face any Six Sams/Koa'ki/etc.  No real surprise contender decks either.

Cheers!

Archived