Snatch-ubus

Syncopation

3 Level 5 DARK Monsters
Must be Xyz Summoned. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up: target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material. You can only activate the effect of "Snatch-ubus" once per turn. If this face-up card would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead.

How is it?

snatch-ubus.png

I like it, but it has its issues. It's great that it enables you to get rid of destruction-proof monsters, but the greatest problem is the difficulty of it's summoning. Unless it is somehow supported by other cards or an archetype of Level 5 monsters, it's material need is too heavy. Also, it's Defense, in this case the most important stat for this monster, is too low for a Rank 5 - 3 material monster. For instance, Dark Requiem Xyz Dragon has whopping 3000 ATK and 2500 DEF. You could easily increase this card's DEF by 1000 and I feel it'd be perfectly balanced still. A good DEF paired with it's destruction protection effect will make an excellent wall.

26 minutes ago, Rayfield Shade said:

I like it, but it has its issues. It's great that it enables you to get rid of destruction-proof monsters, but the greatest problem is the difficulty of it's summoning. Unless it is somehow supported by other cards or an archetype of Level 5 monsters, it's material need is too heavy. Also, it's Defense, in this case the most important stat for this monster, is too low for a Rank 5 - 3 material monster. For instance, Dark Requiem Xyz Dragon has whopping 3000 ATK and 2500 DEF. You could easily increase this card's DEF by 1000 and I feel it'd be perfectly balanced still. A good DEF paired with it's destruction protection effect will make an excellent wall.

So I've bumped the defense to 3000 and downsized his Xyz Material Requirements by 1. How is he now?

2 Level 5 Dark Monsters
Must be Xyz Summoned. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position. If this card is flipped face-up: target 1 face-up monster tour opponent controls; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material. You can only activate the effect of "Snatch-ubus" once per turn. If this face-up card would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead.

canvas.png

On 2/6/2020 at 7:22 PM, Syncopation said:

So I've bumped the defense to 3000 and downsized his Xyz Material Requirements by 1. How is he now?

Thanks for hearing my advice, but you misunderstood me a bit (might be my fault if I didn't explain myself correctly). When I mentioned increasing the card's DEF would be a good measure, I did so comparing it to a 3 material Rank 5 monster with 3000/2500. I meant that 3000 DEF is justifiable for a 3 material Xyz. Since you lowered the material cost and increased the DEF, now it feels a bit overpowered. I did a bit of research, and a good measure of how you should manage this guy's stats )with 2 material cost) is Number 19: Freezadon. It has 2000/2500, but a single effect, and worse than Snatch-ubus, imo. Anyday, I'll take a lower material cost rather than more DEF, so I'd recommend you leave it at 2 and adjust the stats again. It's not necessary that you use the same stats I'm telling you as example, you could even sacrifice ATK to give it a bit more of DEF. A range of 2300-2700 should be fine.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, Rayfield Shade said:

Thanks for hearing my advice, but you misunderstood me a bit (might be my fault if I didn't explain myself correctly). When I mentioned increasing the card's DEF would be a good measure, I did so comparing it to a 3 material Rank 5 monster with 3000/2500. I meant that 3000 DEF is justifiable for a 3 material Xyz. Since you lowered the material cost and increased the DEF, now it feels a bit overpowered. I did a bit of research, and a good measure of how you should manage this guy's stats )with 2 material cost) is Number 19: Freezadon. It has 2000/2500, but a single effect, and worse than Snatch-ubus, imo. Anyday, I'll take a lower material cost rather than more DEF, so I'd recommend you leave it at 2 and adjust the stats again. It's not necessary that you use the same stats I'm telling you as example, you could even sacrifice ATK to give it a bit more of DEF. A range of 2300-2700 should be fine.

I've changed the DEF values to 2400 instead of 3000. Thanks for the input!

canvas456.png

• 1 month later...

The suggested changes did help, but the card remains slow. You need to wait either a turn, or let your opponent attack it, who, knowing what this card does, most likely won't and instead look for a way to play around it, like destroying it with a card effect while it is face-down. Card is not bad, but there ought to be faster and arguably better Rank5s out there than this.

The art is unrealistic for a YGO card, btw. It's practically an edited IRL picture.

Archived