Artisan's Extremity

Rayfield Lumina

Artisan's Extremity

Normal Spell

Gain 100 LP for each Spell/Trap in both player's GY with a different name than all the other cards in both player's GY. If this card is in your GY and you control at least 2 cards: You can banish this card; destroy all cards you control, then excavate cards from the top of your Deck until you have excavated 5 Spell/Traps, and if you do, Set them, also shuffle the rest into the Deck, and if you do that, skip your next 2 Draw Phases. You cannot Special Summon during the turn you activate this effect. You can only use 1 effect of "Artisan's Extremity" per turn, and only once that turn.

Ok, I have some serious doubts about this card, but I still wanted to post it in advanced to see what's the opinion of the experts. For starters, I have been wondering if I can omit the (including this card) part. I just want to make sure the card is not in the way of the excavated cards so they can be Set freely, since, if I'm not wrong, Spell/Traps are sent to the GY only when their effect is completely resolved. About meta-use... well, you suddenly gain a full backrow in exchange of your field and 2 draw phases. I added the first limitation so you cannot abuse with an empty field on your first turn, but maybe I can remove that part. All in all, I feel the gain and penalty is more or less balanced, but more importantly, what do you think?

EDIT: I made some changes as suggested by Darj (again) >_<'

I get what you mean to do but pretty sure it doesn't work like that. Alternatives that come to mind is activating and resolving this card in the hand, something like "If you control 2 or more cards: Reveal this card in your hand; destroy all cards you control, then Set the 5 Spell/Traps, then discard this card", or make it a GY effect with an easy-to-fulfill or minor on-field effect so it's always live, or make it a monster hand-trap.

Anyway, I'm unsure about this card. In a vacuum it's at least a +0 (-2 from popping this card, -1 from itself, -2 draws, +5 Spell/Traps),  but if you destroy floaty cards then you can mitigate the cost to up to a +2. Then, there is Cards of Demise, which is more economic, has the similar Special Summon lock and requires less set-up. However, you can take a lot of advantage of this in decks that run minimal Spell/Traps, maximizing the chances of grabbing the Spell/Traps you want because literally there is not much else in the Deck to grab. Sounds like it would be crazy good in Monster or Semi-monster Mash decks, as if they didn't have Light of Sekka already for extra draw power and consistency. Hmm.. put in that way, this is pretty much a Cards of Demise fit for Monster Mash decks. And that is not exactly a bad thing, since Monster Mash isn't doing too much,the most notable being Atlanteans an BAs a couple of formats ago IIRC.

2 hours ago, Darj said:

I get what you mean to do but pretty sure it doesn't work like that. Alternatives that come to mind is activating and resolving this card in the hand, something like "If you control 2 or more cards: Reveal this card in your hand; destroy all cards you control, then Set the 5 Spell/Traps, then discard this card", or make it a GY effect with an easy-to-fulfill or minor on-field effect so it's always live, or make it a monster hand-trap.

Anyway, I'm unsure about this card. In a vacuum it's at least a +0 (-2 from popping this card, -1 from itself, -2 draws, +5 Spell/Traps),  but if you destroy floaty cards then you can mitigate the cost to up to a +2. Then, there is Cards of Demise, which is more economic, has the similar Special Summon lock and requires less set-up. However, you can take a lot of advantage of this in decks that run minimal Spell/Traps, maximizing the chances of grabbing the Spell/Traps you want because literally there is not much else in the Deck to grab. Sounds like it would be crazy good in Monster or Semi-monster Mash decks, as if they didn't have Light of Sekka already for extra draw power and consistency. Hmm.. put in that way, this is pretty much a Cards of Demise fit for Monster Mash decks. And that is not exactly a bad thing, since Monster Mash isn't doing too much,the most notable being Atlanteans an BAs a couple of formats ago IIRC.

All right! So I've adjusted a couple of things in the effect, I hope now it works better. Thanks as always, Darj.

I'm not sure. I was already concerned about the strategy of running minimal Spell/Traps so you maximize the odds of getting what you want in semi-Monster mash, which is huge because you have control over it and can arrange for massive combos and plays... and you double down with a hand-peeking effect with the chance of stealing a card ^^"
With minor effect I was thinking on something lame like "Gain 200 LP" or whatever it's always live, because the main effect is the GY effect anyway.

5 hours ago, Darj said:

I'm not sure. I was already concerned about the strategy of running minimal Spell/Traps so you maximize the odds of getting what you want in semi-Monster mash, which is huge because you have control over it and can arrange for massive combos and plays... and you double down with a hand-peeking effect with the chance of stealing a card ^^"
With minor effect I was thinking on something lame like "Gain 200 LP" or whatever it's always live, because the main effect is the GY effect anyway.

Ok, second try. This should more or less do it.

Yeah, I like it more. Some concerns remain like the possibility of trigger cards with effects that activate when they are destroyed, but you would need a lot of setup for that so in this case I go for a "nice until proven naughty" approach. If anything, you can put a "discard you hand at the end of the turn" drawback similar to Card of Demise to be safe and make sure you don't amass a lot of card advantage with a board full of Spell/Traps + a big hand.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, Darj said:

Yeah, I like it more. Some concerns remain like the possibility of trigger cards with effects that activate when they are destroyed, but you would need a lot of setup for that so in this case I go for a "nice until proven naughty" approach. If anything, you can put a "discard you hand at the end of the turn" drawback similar to Card of Demise to be safe and make sure you don't amass a lot of card advantage with a board full of Spell/Traps + a big hand.

I see. Discarding the whole hand seems fair, but a bit too rough. How about this limitation: You can't add cards to your hand during this chain.

Archived