Dust Duelists

Woloa

For some reason or another I decided to make an entire archetype based on the idea of messing with columns, not a very big one, mind. Some of the lore texts don't match the current card text since I realized while typing them here how to clean the text up a bit.

1882801042_whiteorchid.jpg.86663262849e819f344ef0ea08c05a84.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. This card gains 500atk for each column in which both players control a face up monster.

458114464_blackdahlia.jpg.d5c3fd86d36af1aeef11a4395f864b9f.jpg

Lore: Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. When this card battles a monster that is to the immediate left or right of its column this card gains 800atk until the end of the battle phase.

Aster.jpg.52062926851a379495a1ce7da62bd3bc.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. The effects of your opponent's monsters in columns to the immediate left and right of this card are negated.

Lily.jpg.bc64b4a9be60f5152ca59c7d13288b2c.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. When this card is normal summoned you may search your deck for a number of 'Dust Duelist' monsters equal to the number of empty columns on the field and a number of 'Dust Duelist' spell/trap cards for every column in which each player controls at least 1 card and add them to your hand. This effect of Dust Duelist Lily may only be used once per duel.

Violet.jpg.ebd54ec1add340b4474b0f7ac69ced39.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. Monsters your opponent controls in columns adjacent to this card's column can not attack.

dandelion.jpg.fc93a98d826b89a80392e93f86ff29af.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. If your opponent controls no monsters in the same column as this card: This card may attack your opponent directly, attacks performed this way may not be negated.

rose.jpg.359b9f1382979a9b378f503e553195ae.jpg

Lore: Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. You may special summon this card from your hand to any column your opponent controls no monsters in. Your opponent can not activate spell and trap cards in this card's column.

Armaryllis.jpg.c7d773f2c8dee461e71bd73c726b3fd9.jpg

Lore: This card may be tribute summoned for 1 tribute by tributing a 'Dust Duelist' monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or a card effect, if an adjacent monster zone is empty you may move this card to that monster zone and negate that attack/effect activation. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Destroy all monsters your opponent controls with def lower than this card's current atk that are in columns adjacent to the destroyed monster.

239959651_Image(1).png.d6820a77eeda7da77ca6c808e12d285a.png

2 Earth attribute monsters
Once per turn, If this card is targeted for attack or effect while there an unoccupied Monster card zone adjacent to this card (Quick Effect): You can move this card to that zone, if you do, negate that attack or effect. If this card is moved to a zone it was pointing you may set 1 'Dust Duelist' spell/trap card from your deck or graveyard but you may not activate it this turn

14913973_Image(2).png.180047e1f94f19b9ba467d1b0e64fd0a.png

2 Earth attribute monsters
Once per turn, If this card is targeted for attack or effect while there an unoccupied Monster card zone adjacent to this card (Quick Effect): You can move this card to that zone, if you do, negate that attack or effect. If this card is moved to a zone it was pointing you may add up to 2 'Dust Duelist' monsters from your graveryard to your hand

811867709_Image(3).png.4899e9a42a963aa105b66ab3083ff9aa.png

2+ Earth attribute monsters including a link monster
Once per turn, If this card is targeted for attack or effect while there an unoccupied Monster card zone adjacent to this card (Quick Effect): You can move this card to that zone, if you do, negate that attack or effect. If this card is moved to a zone it was pointing you may destroy a number of cards your opponent controls equal to the number of empty main monster zones on your side of the field.

assembly.jpg.f884b3c30bf0f60099ab0ba24352480d.jpg

Lore: Special summon 1 'Dust Duelist' monster from your hand to a monster zone in a column your opponent controls no cards in, then you may move any number of 'Dust Duelist' monsters you control to empty monster zones on your side of the field.

Unity.jpg.08ded41010eda52ba4d5927903d05d56.jpg

Lore: Activate only while you control at least 2 'Dust Duelist' monsters with at least 1 empty monster zone between them, discard 1 card: Move one monster so that both Dust Duelist monsters are adjacent and then destroy as many of your opponent's cards as possible that are in columns that do not contain a 'Dust Duelist' monster

Showdown.jpg.8c6b3ea4e69a1213c80e8fe7c0fbcb10.jpg

When this card is activated special summon 1 'Dust Duelist' monster from your hand to your side of the field and 1 'Dust Duelist' monster from your graveyard to your opponent's side of the field. While this card is face up only those special summoned monsters may attack or be targeted for attacks. At the end of the battle phase, if those special summoned monsters battled apply the appropriate effect based on the number of monsters destroyed then send this card to the graveyard.

0: Special summon 1 'Dust Duelist' monster from your hand

1: Destroy all spell and trap cards on the field

2: Destroy all monster cards on the field

3: Destroy all cards on the field

4: Destroy all cards on the field when each player special summons 2 monsters from their graveyard

Countershot.jpg.e65e505d4aeb87ef14fba2c44832cba3.jpg

When a 'Dust Duelist' monster you control is destroyed by battle or card effect discard 1 card: Special summon 1 'Dust Duelist' monster from your hand to the same monster zone the destroyed monster was in in face up defense position and destroy every card your opponent controls in the same column as the card summoned by this card's effect.

Hey, @Woloa-Muffet-san, I'm liking this quite a bit! You know, I'm also fond of interaction with adjacent zones and columns, so this is my cup of tea. By the way, I'm pretty sure I recognize the artwork's style, but I can't quite determine where I have seen it before. I think it's kinda like some old games called Wild Arms (you know, those old games from ps1). At least I get that western feeling from them ^_^

So, gameplay-wise, these look like a lot of fun. Tons of nimble monsters that like to jump around, avoiding effects and attacks. I have to say I'm pretty scared of Aster, being able to negate wto monster effects just by being there is pretty strong. I was also outraged by that adorable dog's effect, but that was until I read the effect can be activated once per Duel, good grief. The only effect that I couldn't quite understand was Duelist Showdown. According to the effect, only the two Special Summoned monsters by that card effect can attack, then it asks you to apply a certain effect according to the number of monsters destroyed during the Battle Phase, then the card is destroyed. Since no other attacks can be performed during the Battle phase, I don't see how more than 2 monsters can be destroyed there, EXCEPT if you're talking about Amaryllis due to his last effect.

Anyway, keep up the good job! Actually, the only thing I didn't like very much of the archetype is how rigid is the ATK/DEF assignment of the monsters. Balanced, yes, but a bit boring, don't you think? Well, that's just me. >_<'

Hey there @Rayfield Lumina, the artwork is specificly from Wild Arms XF, the least westerny game in the franchise. in fact, the artwork for Showdown and Countershot was taken straight from the game by way of emulating it and pausing/using snipping tool during the opening cutscene. 

The concept was inspired by the main character's ability to fire with infinite range in a straight line (leading into Dandelion's effect, dandelion being named such because the main character's class is 'dandelion shot' and then that lead into the naming scheme of the archetype)

I realized pretty quick while writing Lily's effect that it needed a once per duel clause, yeah. And yes, the 3 and 4 monster effects of Showdown are there to account for Amarylli's effect, as well as any other destructive support I add to the archetype at a later date if I ever expand it, but for now I'm happy with where it is.

Just now, Woloa said:

Hey there @Rayfield Lumina, the artwork is specificly from Wild Arms XF, the least westerny game in the franchise. in fact, the artwork for Showdown and Countershot was taken straight from the game by way of emulating it and pausing/using snipping tool during the opening cutscene. 

The concept was inspired by the main character's ability to fire with infinite range in a straight line (leading into Dandelion's effect, dandelion being named such because the main character's class is 'dandelion shot' and then that lead into the naming scheme of the archetype)

I realized pretty quick while writing Lily's effect that it needed a once per duel clause, yeah. And yes, the 3 and 4 monster effects of Showdown are there to account for Amarylli's effect, as well as any other destructive support I add to the archetype at a later date if I ever expand it, but for now I'm happy with where it is.

Ha!, for real it's based in Wild Arms? My sight for artworks is not so bad after all. Anyway, even though you said that, I'm looking forward to a possible Extra Deck.

p.d. How in blazes did you manage to get married so many times? xD

3 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Ha!, for real it's based in Wild Arms? My sight for artworks is not so bad after all. Anyway, even though you said that, I'm looking forward to a possible Extra Deck.

yeah the extra deck could be cool and have the effect to like go into the extra monster zones too 

5 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

p.d. How in blazes did you manage to get married so many times? xD

I was considering at first having Dandelion and Rose be link monsters but the cardmaker here doesn't support those so I decided to focus on main deck for now, if I do add extra deck it'll probly be the rest of the villains from XF, or a couple of the more intersting generic classes like the Emulator, who 'downloads' enemy abilities.

As for the marriage thing, back when I used this forum a lot 4 was the limit on simultaneous spouses and so I just filled all the slots. 

2 minutes ago, Woloa said:

I was considering at first having Dandelion and Rose be link monsters but the cardmaker here doesn't support those so I decided to focus on main deck for now, if I do add extra deck it'll probly be the rest of the villains from XF, or a couple of the more intersting generic classes like the Emulator, who 'downloads' enemy abilities.

As for the marriage thing, back when I used this forum a lot 4 was the limit on simultaneous spouses and so I just filled all the slots. 

Got it.

Yeah, looks like those old times of the site were golden compared to what we have today 😞 . I wasn't there during that period, but it seems you guys had lots of activitiy, options, a point system, colored names, a background for your profile and more stuff. Sadly, it doesn't seem we can get back to those days, with the so called separation and all that.

Just now, Rayfield Lumina said:

Yeah, looks like those old times of the site were golden compared to what we have today 😞 . I wasn't there during that period, but it seems you guys had lots of activitiy, options, a point system, colored names, a background for your profile and more stuff. Sadly, it doesn't seem we can get back to those days, with the so called separation and all that.

I don't really know anything about how we transitioned from the old days to the current days, I just know that back in the old days my chosen member title was ironic because everyone knew me and liked some of the things I came out with.

2 minutes ago, Woloa said:

I don't really know anything about how we transitioned from the old days to the current days, I just know that back in the old days my chosen member title was ironic because everyone knew me and liked some of the things I came out with.

I see. Well, the site might no be the same as it was before, but let's just try our best, that's the only thing we can do. If we keep expecting that the trouble will be solved by someone else, then it only creates a chain of "let the others do it" that will only lead us to failure.

Just now, Rayfield Lumina said:

I see. Well, the site might no be the same as it was before, but let's just try our best, that's the only thing we can do.

I couldn't agree more. My recent works, being this, Dustgrins and Colorflies are all based on what I've learned second hand from people who play yugioh competitively and from my own experience with duel links, since I'm trying to make cards that're good without completely breaking the game.

3 minutes ago, Woloa said:

I couldn't agree more. My recent works, being this, Dustgrins and Colorflies are all based on what I've learned second hand from people who play yugioh competitively and from my own experience with duel links, since I'm trying to make cards that're good without completely breaking the game.

I believe Dust Duelist are exactly along that line. Anywho, next time I'm expecting a Spider archetype, that's just natural, considering your profile pic ^_-

1 minute ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I believe Dust Duelist are exactly along that line. Anywho, next time I'm expecting a Spider archetype, that's just natural, considering your profile pic ^_-

This profile picture is from the golden age, but if I ever get back into pendulum stuff I might redo my old Spyder archetype, with their gimmick of acting as both scales if you have only one set up (with scales restrictive enough to only summon more of themselves if you do so)

ok these guys have interesting and quite powerful gimmick albeit defensively. the modern text can simplified the effect a bit to "Once per turn, If this card is targeted for attack or effect while there a (Horizontal) unoccupied Monster card zone adjacent to this card (Quick Effect): You can move this card to that zone

Orchid: pretty simple. it gain quite huge attack even by modern standard but i guess since it don't more have things going for it  other than the protection from the gimmick this should be okay

Dahlia: [rough fix]"When this card battle with a monster that placed on the column adjacent to this card " welp another simple stat gainer. but at-least its respected 2300 that work better with archetype play-style  of moving board pieces rather than Orchid that slightly contradicting it by making you putting more stuff on board

Aster: kinda situational. in fact the protection effect potentially force you to release the monster that you don't want to have its effect activate. at best you gonna put atleast 2 of these to actually making impact

Lily: i don't think you need to go this extreme with lily unless you have certain reasoning. while a mass searcher with +4 value  is indeed powerful enough to be worthy of the Once per Duel clause., but that also mean that this card as the sole-one shot-engine of the deck its prone to negation by hand traps which can be detrimental to the deck function. sure you can argue that you still can run generic draw cards but no matter how powerful the draw is you still digging blindly hoping to get your play starter which is what searcher do. i would rather having lily only add 1 card per activation so  at least if its negated you can still use lily to build your play next turn

Violet: same problem with aster but worse. at-least aster does stop plays to a degree. while violet not really gonna break boards

Dandelion: 2000 direct attack that can't be stop is quite bold. but all in all is pretty underwhelming for Level 5 without much return investment except in niche situation

Rose: kinda same as aster so anything that i said with aster kinda applicable to this card but to be fair she has not so shabby special summon effect which is good given its level

Armarylis: its rather slow and risky but decent and fairly cheap mass removal effect . quite good

Assembly: fetch you things while improving your formation. decent stuff

Unity: the wording took quite a time to understand, but at the end is basically archetype's novelty-version of raigeki. which probbaly not really that good unless it have something extra running for it

Showdown: this card a bit way to different than the rest of the archetype although i can see the combo with Unity or armarylis which at that point the effect is pretty much redundant. most of the time its either you get the 0 effect or 3-4

Countershot: too expensive and situational given on how scares the search effect in this archetype

Thank yah kindly, Doctor.

I was considering reworking Lily's effect and am working on ideas for a linup of extra deck monsters (likely links) for the archetype.

Current idea: have Lily's main deck version search under certain conditions (posibly when a dust duelist is summoned or when Lily is moved) and give him an extra deck variant that grabs the resources from the graveyard.

Mhmm! This update is interesting. It's only natural that, considering this Deck's gimmick is to jump around from zone to zone, there had to be Link monsters that had a certain effect to take advantage of said gimmick. Question: Link monster could consider both the zones north and south of them as "adjacent" Main Monster Zones? Not that you want to gift your opponent with a monster of your own, but, could it be you can actually move 1 of these new card's to the opponent's side of the field? You know, I feel that it'd be interesting if you could do that, like if they were infiltrating the opponent's base. Then, you add effects to prevent the opponent from attacking or using them as material, so basically they become an obstacle to the opponent. Heck, you could even give 'em some kind of mild effect to cripple the opponent, like inflicting X amount of damage each turn, or slightly decreasing the ATK of monsters summoned in adjacent zones to your infiltrator. Well, just some... Wild ideas, you get me? xD

I'mma be real, Lumina, putting detrimental bricks on your oppononent's side of the field was a deck gimmick I touched on before but I don't think it would fit Dust duelists, even if their link monsters could probly make that jump

6 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

you hate to stray from the main mechanic of the Archetype ^_^''

Damn right I do! while straying from the main mechanic is sometimes fine its typically something you'd see on a field spell (Marincesses come to mind) or a piece of Legacy Support that reinvents the deck into something playable (like Blaze Accelerator Reload)

Archived