CORE Archetype [WIP]

Dramatic Crossroad

Well, i had an idea about a new mechanic and a multi-type archetype (Psychic + Cyberse + Machine), but i'm at the point where i need some kind of feedback on whether the effects are interesting or different enough to waste the time any more and effort ( even though i have completed over 50% of the artworks).

The main strength of the monsters comes from changing their battle positions - unlike Morphtronic who simply gain a specific effect according to the position, COREs are intended to gain advantage when they switch, regardless what to/from.

Their stronger effects are triggered when changed manually (meaning the once per turn change you can do when a monster is summoned on a previous turn) + one unique alternate activation condition that the effect can be activated with. 
An additional, more mediocre effects applies when their position is changed by a card's effect. 

ATK/DEF stats are low and nothing special for most of the monsters, but this is where the Field Spell comes into play, designed to gain a massive advantage over your opponent, if you play your combos right.

TL;DR: Cybernetic-style monsters that get stronger the more you switch their positions around. 

spacer.png

(From left to right: Construct, Gravity, Hologram, Ignition, Paradigm and Synthesis CORE)

On to with the actual cards:

Construct CORE (Earth)                                      [The Beatstick]

Level 3 / ATK/700 DEF/700 [Machine/Effect]

When this card is Normal Summoned OR its position is changed manually; you can increase this card's original ATK and DEF by 700 and change the position of all other face-up "CORE" monsters. This effect of "Construct CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.

If this card's position is changed by an effect; this card gains 700 ATK and DEF until your next Standby Phase. 

Gravity CORE (Dark)                                             [The Boss]

Level 5 / ATK/? DEF/?  [Psychic/Effect]

This card's original ATK and DEF are each 350 x its Level.

When this card is Tribute Summoned OR its position is changed manually; You can Special Summon 1 "CORE" monster from your GY or currently banished whose Level is lower than this card's Level (except "Gravity CORE").  You can use this effect of "Gravity CORE" up to twice per turn, once per activation requirement. If this card's position is changed by an effect; increase this card's Level by 1 (max.12).

Other "CORE" monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF x this card's Level.

ORIGINAL EFFECT: Level 5 / ATK/0 DEF/0  [Psychic/Effect] Cannot be Special Summoned from the GY. This card's original ATK and DEF are each 350 x its Level. When this card is Tribute Summoned OR its position is changed manually; You can Special Summon 1 "CORE"  Monster from your GY whose Level is lower than this card's Level.  You can use this effect of "Gravity CORE" only once per turn. If this card's position is changed by an effect; increase this card's Level by 1 (max.12). Other "CORE" monsters you each control gain 100 ATK and DEF x the sum of this card's and their own Level. 

Hologram CORE (LIGHT)                                      [The Searcher]

Level 1 / ATK/300 DEF/300 [Cyberse/Effect]

When this card is sent to the GY OR its position is changed manually; You can Special Summon 1 "CORE" monster from your hand or Deck. This effect of "Hologram CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.

If this card's position is changed by an effect; inflict 300 damage to your opponent x the number of times this card's position was changed this turn.

Incineration CORE (FIRE)                                           [The Front-Row Wiper]

Level 4 / ATK/900 DEF/900 [Machine/Effect]

When this card is Special Summoned OR its position is changed manually: You can make each player banish 1 Monster they control. This effect of "Ignition CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.

If this card's position is changed by an effect; You can banish 1 monster from either player's GY.

(EDIT: It's basically a "D.D. Share The Pain" that cremates face-up monsters now).

ORIGINAL EFFECT: IGNITION CORE  Its twice per turn effect could change the position of a CORE monster you control and treat it as manual change.

Paradigm CORE (WIND)                                    [The Back-Row Wiper]

Level 2 / ATK/500 DEF/500 [Cyberse/Effect]

When this card is added to your hand by an effect OR its position is changed manually: You can target 1 face-up Spell/Trap and banish this card;  negate the target's effect(s) and banish it. This effect of "Paradigm CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.

If this card's position is changed by an effect; You can send 1 face-up banished card to the GY. 

ORIGINAL EFFECT: If this card's position is changed by an effect; You can return 1 face-up "CORE" card you control to the hand.

Synthesis CORE (WATER)                                  [The Resource Manager]

Level 6 / ATK/100 DEF/100 [Psychic/Effect]

When this card is banished OR its position is changed manually: You can add 1 "CORE" monster from your Deck, GY or one that is currently banished to your hand (except "Synthesis CORE"). This effect of "Synthesis CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.

If this card's position is changed by an effect: You can send this card to the GY; Draw 1 card x the number of times this card's position was changed during this turn (max.3).

ORIGINAL EFFECT: When this card is banished OR its position is changed manually: You can add 1 "CORE" monster from your Deck to your hand. This effect of "Synthesis CORE" can be activated up to twice per turn, once per each activation requirement.If this card's position is changed by an effect: You can send this card to the GY; Draw 1 card x the number of times this card's position was changed during this turn (max.3).

Evidently, they are based on and represent the classic elements (like 100 of other archetypes) and their strengths. There is currently 3 Spells and 2 Traps that directly support them, but i have made the artwork only for the field spell so far. 

spacer.png

Gravity Zone (Spell) [Field Spell Card]

If a Monster would be Normal Set, it can be Normal Summoned in face-up Defense Position instead.

You cannot Summon or control any monsters Summoned from the Extra Deck.

All non-"CORE" monsters you control have their effects negated and ATK and DEF halved.

A "CORE" monster you control gains the following effect until the End Phase of the turn it changed its position (even if this card leaves the field or/and is negated):

•  Cannot be destroyed by battle. Your opponent's monsters with the same Attribute as this card have their effects negated on the field and GY

EDIT: (Removed the immunity)

Crystal Orb Reactor Experiment (Spell[Equip Spell]

Equip only to a "CORE" monster you control. Once per turn you can activate one of the following effects:

• Change the equipped monster's position. (This is treated as a manual position change).
  • Target 1 "CORE" monster not equipped with this card. Equip this card to the target and if you do, change the target's position.
  • Banish this card; draw 1 card.

You can control only 1 copy of and use each effect of "Crystal Orb Reactor Experiment" only once per turn. 

COmmand REaction (Spell[Quick-Play Spell]

Target up to 3 non-Link monsters on the field, then apply the following effects in the order listed, according to the number of "CORE" monsters targeted:

•  3: Banish 1 card on the field.
  • 2 or more: Draw 1 card.
  • 1 or more: change the targets' position.
  • 0: You take 300 damage.

You can activate "COmmand REaction" only once per turn.

(EDIT: Added OPT clause.)

feedback is welcome 😉  

in general: actually pretty cool concept. it almost emulate switch flipping on machinery. wording wise i don't think we need "Manually" when we can just use "OR this card Battle Position is changed by Player". i kinda intrigue by your decision to also incorporate "Gravity" i really curious about the lore behind these

construct: i assume that the manual switch's original atk modification could stack. so the wording its either "This card Original ATK/DEF is equal to the number of times this card is either Normal Summoned OR have its Battle Position changed by Player x700" accompanied with ?/? stat or IMO the MTG-esque number modification effect "If this card is either Normal Summoned OR have its Battle Position changed by Player: This card original ATK/DEF becomes equal to this card current original ATK +700"  which i say for sake of easiness i prefer the former. the other utility this guy does is to "fix" postion either as means to trigger other CORE or making the controlling player has better choice in regard to changing the position without potentially putting them on vulnerable stat or reactive position.

Gravity: kinda weak to be honest. its not so strong Level 5 without Special Summon effect. the only 2 good effects being the summon effect and Level manipulation (for sync or Xyz shenanigan) its pretty much locked 1st time it was placed on the field

Hologram: now this is good provide you with burn and tutor directly from the deck. it should be fine unless you want to power-up the rest of the archetype

ill finish the rest on later time

Ignition: instead using "treated" type effect we can borrow my beloved Apoqliphort Killer player forcing effect like -You can Target 1 "CORE" monster on the field; Make its controller changed that target battle position- banish effect could be neat if you manage to change it using quick effect

Paragdim: a bit too situational for removal. and the 2nd effect is hardly beneficial

Synthesis: another too situational card, especially since its the deck's main searcher card, but that draw effect is quite potent being +N(-1-2)

Zone: its a good field spell, a bit to good in fact. while its true that you pretty much locked into the archetype, but being spell version of skill drain at 3 that also cut ATK in half its too much. protection is good though although is kinda weird that it tied to Gravity rather than the CORE themselves

Orb: well it helps the position change shenanigan while being a +0 draw power so value wise is pretty servicable

Reaction: well that quite powerful. not much comment on this since its that good

As usual - thank you for your time and effort invested to take a look at these.

My intention was to include bit of the Lore in the artworks, but it's proven to quite the time-consuming job. The story so far is a rough draft at this moment, so bear with me.  (The ramblings of a mad scientist)

"The C.O.R.E. (Crystal Orb Reactor Experiment) project is all i have left now. I feel my time is close, but i will not go down yet, not when i feel like i'm this close to success. These morons of the institute won't let me access the resources i need, they've put limiters on all the machinery ... they don't understand that you cannot push science forward if you are not willing to take risks and go beyond reason.  Bunch of cowards.

I'm sure the're waiting for the "old hag" to give up and drop into the grave so they can cross my name from all the files,... I would rather destroy everything that let them complete it and take all of the credit.

I've found the notes of the technician, the one that installed a hidden limiter on the gravity-transmigration conduit. I've walked for hours across the apparatus hallways, but could not find it. He thought shredding the schematics map a couple of times could stop me..."

And on that night she succeeded. She could have destroyed it all,... the lab, the building, the town, the country, even the world possibly. 

"My babies are all working now. We can harvest energy of any kind, we can build it all! 
There is still stop-gaps though. The COREs only work in the immediate vicinity of the lab. I suspect the area is somehow overlapping with an alternate reality they need to draw power from. The rules of physics seems to be distorting as well, i noticed a few anomalies in the presence of a CORE - combustion, air currents and light seem to operate differently when one is nearby - it's all bound to gravity, i know it!

My next task is to investigate this Stabilized Abnormal Gravity Zone (this is what i'm calling it)."

Now that the origin is more clear, onto the cards themselves. 

Will take into consideration the Construct CORE notes, but i would still think a bit before changing it, i feel like the way it's worded now is the least confusing. You got it right though, the manual change is a stacking stat boost, while the other is intended when you need to beat over something, it's intended to go under the radar and work with Gravity Bind in place. 

Gravity CORE: since it's basically a pseudo-tribute summon - you tribute it with any monster and get a monster back, if fact - you choose which monster you get from the GY, i think it's overall balanced. The GY Summon restriction is to prevent loops with a second copy, even though it might be better to just to restrict it to not be able to summon itself with the effect instead. Among the cores, this one would be best suited for the "?/?" ATK and DEF stat.

Regarding the other 3 (Paradigm, Synthesis and Ignition) - I wanted to build an engine of sorts with the more classic elements, but it doesn't seem to be that admirable of an effort. I will edit their underwhelming effects to my backup ideas 🙂 (original effects will be kept for reference too). 

Regarding Gravity Zone - the self-effect negation is for the sole reason to prevent yourself from abusing cards, like Barbaros, Fusilier, Zombyra, etc. It also as a side-effect lets you get rid easily of Lava Golems, Kaijus you don't want on your field :D Another thing i wanted to test is to incorporate a "Light of Intervention"-esque effect into it.

Will put 1 per turn restriction on REaction to make it less OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Final bump (Lock request).

I noticed there has been an archetype called "Nemesis" in one of the most recent packs, which has been out for few months now, since January.

It seems i have unknowingly developed my archetype in parallel very similar as theme and art (with the orbs and elements) and all of this looks like a total ripoff now. Curse my lack of awareness and thorough research.

Please lock the thread and bury this embarrassment.

3 hours ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

Final bump (Lock request).

I noticed there has been an archetype called "Nemesis" in one of the most recent packs, which has been out for few months now, since January.

It seems i have unknowingly developed my archetype in parallel very similar as theme and art (with the orbs and elements) and all of this looks like a total ripoff now. Curse my lack of awareness and thorough research.

Please lock the thread and bury this embarrassment.

Nemesys works very differently though. your archetype can stay as it is

so no need to lock and keep being inspired 🙂

Archived