Encyclopean (Archetype Idea)

Dramatic Crossroad

I was working on an archetype (i've posted it already), when I had an idea how to utilize the Extra Deck without actually summoning any monsters from there, i had an idea. 

It is not anything super-revolutionary, since there are quite a few archetypes focusing on the EQUIP mechanic (Dragunity, Inzektor, CyberDark to name a few, some of which had great success in their prime). There is some "Nekroz" type of effect inheritance mixed in as well.  Ultimately what I thought might be interesting is a tech-archetype that utilizes the Extra Deck as a toolbox to grab whichever effect the player needs at a certain moment. 

Actually, here is the lore that i've come up with so far: 

spacer.png

The Cyclopses have been known as brute and unruly, animalistic creatures since ancient times, due to their battle prowess.

That misconception has not been denounced even as their culture and magical science thrived, on par with if not surpassing other civilizations at times.

The cyclopean sorcery developed a way to store, access and categorize a large quantity of information by storing their own oculus (eyes) and those of their fallen comrades and enemies. As various wars have been waged in different worlds and timelines, the cyclopeans' library has grown rapidly by collecting eyes holding invaluable battle information. This creeping power and knowledge source puts extra pressure on the staff, as they need to protect their library from various evils, which might want to break in and misuse it... like certain powerful witch looking for a mysterious and dangerous Evil Eye.

Main Deck:   Encyclopeans (portmanteau of Cyclopean and Encyclopedia). Beast-Warriors that interact with the Extra Deck. Their DEF (aside battle mechanics) is a threshold of how powerful ArkEYEve records they can use, which is also reflected by their effects. 

Extra Deck:  ArkEYEve (it's read as Archive, but had to insert EYE in there, because of reasons) Cyberse monsters based on classic and well-known monsters. The more powerful the monster - the more difficult it is to utilize, requiring considerable mental fortitude (DEF) of the user.

Encyclopean Chronicler (EARTH)

(Green outlined on the image)

[Beast-Warrior / Effect] Level 4 |  ATK/ 1500| DEF/ 1200

When this card is Summoned; You can banish 1 "ArkEYEve" monster from your Extra Deck. 

At the start of each Battle Phase; equip this card with 1 of your banished "ArkEYEve" monsters with ATK lower than this card's DEF. 

At the end of each Battle Phase; banish 1 monster equipped to this card, if any.

He borrows power from the archives, whenever he needs to defend himself or the library.

Encyclopean Guard (EARTH)

(Blue outlined on the image)

[Beast-Warrior / Effect] Level 6 |  ATK/ 2000| DEF/ 1800

If 1 or more "Encyclopean" monsters are destroyed; You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Summon 1 "Encyclopean Guard" at a time using this effect.

When this card is Summoned; You can equip up to 2 of your banished "ArkEYEve" monsters to this card, whose combined ATK is equal to or lower than this card's DEF.

If this card is removed from the field; banish all "ArkEYEve" monsters that were equipped to this card, if any.

He is the main force in times of breach, authorized and fully capable of using multiple combat records at once.

Encyclopean Safekeeper (EARTH)

(Purple outlined on the image)

[Beast-Warrior / Effect] Level 3 |  ATK/ 900| DEF/ 1600

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 "ArkEYEve" monster from your Extra Deck.

If this card is destroyed and sent from the field to the GY: You can banish 1"ArkEYEve" card in your GY; shiffle this card to the Deck.

A safekeeper is also tasked with patrolling the library and has full access to any record stored, even if one cannot actually utilize them in battle. They are taught basic self-defense and instructed to leave combat to their more experienced colleagues. 

spacer.png

ArkEYEve: Doomcaliber (DARK)

[Cyberse / Xyz / Effect] No Rank |  ATK/ 900| DEF/ 500

Cannot be Summoned/Set. (This effect cannot be negated.)

An "Encyclopean" monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK and the following effect:

- If a monster effect is activated (Quick Effect); banish 1 monster equipped to this card; negate the activation and if you do, destroy that monster.

ArkEYEve: Den'Sekka (LIGHT)

[Cyberse / Xyz / Effect] No Rank |  ATK/ 1000| DEF/ 200

An "Encyclopean" monster equipped with this card gains 200 ATK and the following effect:

- While you control no Set Spell/Traps, neither player can Set Spell/Traps nor activate any Spell/Traps that are Set on the field.

ArkEYEve: T.I.Virus (WATER)

[Cyberse / Xyz / Effect] No Rank |  ATK/ 600| DEF/ 100

An "Encyclopean" monster equipped with this card gains 600 ATK and the following effect:

- You can discard 1 card and declare a Monster Type; Destroy all face-up monsters with the declared Type, then this card gains 100 ATK until the End Phase. for each monster destroyed by this effect.

There are a few i'm currently working on, so... the general idea was to directly reference iconic Level 4 monsters that are or were meta-relevant at some point, like Denko Sekka, Doomcaliber Knight, Thunder King Rai-Oh, Tribe-Infecting Virus etc. 

Archived