How to make your own Custom Duel Monsters Trading Cards?

Warnen

Question

1 answer to this question

They print cards on large and thin cardboard sheets, then those sheets are cut into individual cards. I suspect that they actually use two sheets glued together for the back and the front instead of printing as a duplex. This suspicion comes from the fact that I've observed that cards which I, as a child, forgot in my pockets and which consequently got through the washing machine, tended to split pretty cleanly once dry. For the printing part, they use a high DPI, probably higher than most home printers, though 1200 dpi should be good enough for a hobby project.

There are two easy ways to make custom cards;

• The cheap way: print cards on paper as you would usually for anything else. I recommend 1200 DPI. Then once you're done with cutting the sheets, put the paper cards into card sleeves with actual cards in those to negate the flimsiness of paper.
  • The high quality way: use a card printing service like MakePlayingCards.com or PrintStudio.ca. Those services cost money and can sometimes be expensive. From experience, I can tell you that MPC is generally the most expensive option when compared to other services, but it offers a lot of features other printers don't have, like custom booster packs, foil cards, customizable quality and material (you can choose whether your cards are fully plastic or a mix of other things, etc.

Archived