Puella Magi Madoka Magica Archetype Update 2.0

Baron-777

This is the 2.0 Update for this archetype! After looking at your feedback, going back to the drawing board, soul searching, and erecting new walls to bang my head against: I've effectively finished all I want to do with this archetype. Almost every card has been reworked and I even added a few more that weren't part of the original line up. I have no plans to further modify the cards beyond spelling/grammar/clean up and no plans to adapt anything from the Magia Record gatcha game or anime. This is already a 36 card archetype; considerably higher then most and I am only one, very determined, narrow minded, possibly crazy, guy. But I thank anyone and everyone from sticking through this whole mess and I hope you enjoy it.

Update 5/19/2021: Just need some time to transfer the cards go. Should have them all done by tomorrow. 

Ok, this is gonna be a big one, so bare with me. So with the announcement of the new Madoka Magica movie and watching TheDuelLog's review of the custom Puella Magi Madoka Magica Archtype, I wanted to take a crack at making my own archetype for this series. This is also my first attempt at Yu-Gi-Oh custom cards, so I would appreciate feedback on any grammar or form mistakes for the cards. 

This is a ritual based archetype, similar in theme to the Ghiski archetype. I intended it to be a battlefield control archetype, focusing more on powerful battle focus effects while offering protection to each other. But I've also run into a serious problem in that trying to cram lore appropriate effects into ritual monsters is a headache without falling into modern Yu-gi-oh's issue of paragraphs of text for each card. The core 6 ritual monsters had to do 4 things at minimum:

1.  Outline Special Summon clause 
  2.  An on Ritual Summon effect that represents the girl's wish.
  3.  Another effect for their abilities as a magical girl
  4.  Float into a witch on destruction.  

Some places I succeeded, others I had to bite the bullet and make a wall of text.

With introductions out of the way, let's begin. 

Please note there are: "Puella", "Puella Magi", "Puella Witch", and a few one off cards; like the Genex archetype has "R-Genex" and "Genex Ally" cards. When a card references a "Puella" card, it refers to the whole archetype, when it says something like "Puella Magi" it refers to the sub-category of the Puella archetype.  

We'll start with the archetype Ritual Spell:

zEyxZCS.jpg 

Card Name: Puella Magi Ritual - Kyubey's Contract

Spell

Spell Type: Ritual

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or side of the field whose total Levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can shuffle 1 "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster from your GY into the Deck; return this card from the GY to your hand.

Notes: Normally I try to stick out of using the show for artwork, but this is too perfect. Again I took inspiration from Ghiski, as this is very similar to Aquamirror. 

2.0 Notes: I literally changed nothing; it's great as it is.

Puella Monsters:

VQHjx1d.jpg

Card Name: Puella Madoka

Effect Monster

Light Spellcaster

Level 1

ATK 400/ DEF 300 

Effect: If you Ritual Summon a "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster: this 1 card can be used as the entire Tribute. If another monster you control is destroyed, add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual - Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand. If that monster was a Ritual Summoned "Puella Magi" monster; you can add 1 "Puella Magi" Madoka, Shining Hope" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Puella Madoka" once per turn.

Notes:  Here we have the basic effects of the non-ritual "Puella" monsters. They can be used to fuel their own ritual engine by acting as a full tribute and searching out their archetype Ritual Spell while trying to reference their wish. Madoka's in the show being to revive a dead cat, so having the trigger be another destroyed monster seems fitting. I will also be abridging the full tribute effect to "Full Ritual Tribute Effect" to save space.

2.0 Notes: So given, as suggested in the comments, that the Ritual Spell is way easier to search then the monsters. I added a secondary effect to allow each girl to search our the ritual monster they share a name with.

MVz3Q7u.jpg

Card Name: Puella Homura

Effect Monster

Dark Spellcaster

Level 1

ATK 800/DEF 500

Effect:  Full Ritual Tribute Effect. If a "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster is Summoned: You can add 1 "Puella Magi Homura, Puella Temporalist" from your Deck to your hand. If a "Puella Witch" is summoned; you can add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual-Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Puella Homura" once per turn. 

Notes: Inspired by Madoka in the first timeline, her loss lead to her wish. Tragic and powerful art here. This acts as a handy combo extender. 

Notes 2.0: For about half of the girls, I made the monster search easier then the spell search. The second effect still is a reference as Walpurgisnacht's attack lead to Madoka's death, so I'm happy with that trigger.

bOfHzBk.jpg

Card Name: Puella Sayaka

Effect Monster

Water Spellcaster

Level 2

ATK 1000/DEF 600

Effect: Full Ritual Tribute Effect. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned; you can add 1 "Puella Magi Sayaka, Puella Knight" from your Deck to your hand. If an opponent activates a monster effect that targets you or a monster you control; you can reveal this card in your hand, add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual-Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each effect of "Puella Sayaka"

Notes: Affliction in the form of targeted effects. I was thinking of limiting the scope to only monster effects though, might do so in another draft of this card.

Notes 2.0: I did about 4 drafts, and this was the best one. Some may say it's still the weakest of the normal girls, but I think it's a great improvement.

Card Name: g4YEzoP.jpg Nagisa

Effect Monster

Wind Spellcaster

ATK 700/DEF 400

Effect: Full Ritual Tribute Effect. Once per turn, you can reveal 1 card to activate one of these effects based on the card revealed:

- "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster: add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual-Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand.

- "Puella" Ritual Spell: add 1 "Puella Magi Nagisa, Puella Trumpeter" from yoru Deck to your hand.

-"Puella Witch" monster: add 1 "Puella Witch Charlotte" from your Deck to your hand. 

Notes: I banged my head against the wall trying to think of an effect for every phase of this girl and yet I needed her. She completes the level 3-8 theme I set up in the ritual monsters and one girl per attribute theme. I settled with a simple search and swarming theme. Fortunately her other cards are better.

Notes 2.0: Still couldn't think of a more lore appropriate effect and not breaking the cycle here. I mean her wish is for cheesecake, what the heck am I suppose to do with that! Still gave her probably the best searching out of the girls. Also that effect is soft, so you can loop this.

MlpIgpp.jpg

Card Name: Puella Kyoko

Effect Monster

Fire Spellcaster

Level 3:

ATK 1300/ DEF 1300

Effect: Full Ritual Tribute Effect. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, if your opponent has more cards in their hands then you do: add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual- Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand. If you had no cards in your hand when you activate this effect, add 1 "Puella Magi Kyoko, Vibrant Vanguard" from your Deck to your hand.

Notes: The initially selfish girl gets access to her ritual monster in her effect. Ideally you hope to top deck into her.

Notes 2.0: Just changed it so it activates on a special summon, but gave a hard once per turn. Everything else was fine.

JW6drv2.jpg

Card Name: Puella Mami

Effect Monster

Earth Spellcaster

Level 3:

ATK 1400/ DEF 1200

Effect: Full Ritual Tribute Effect. If your opponent controls more monsters then you; you can Special Summon this card (from your hand), then add 1 "Puella Magi Ritual-Kyubey's Contract" from your Deck to your hand, then if you control no other monsters, add 1 "Puella Magi Mami, Arcanist Eminence" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Puella Mami" once per turn.

Notes: Your first turn Normal Summon, simple as that. Cute artwork too. 

Notes 2.0. Changed it to a Special Summon from hand and then you can fetch the Ritual Monster if you control no other monsters. Keeps the theme of the original. 

Puella Magi Ritual Monsters:

TKDDH2s.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Nagisa, Puella Trumpeter 

Ritual Effect Monster

Wind Spellcaster

Level 3

ATK 1500/DEF 1000

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Puella Magi" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn you can Normal Summon 1 "Puella" monster in addition to your Normal/Set (You can only gain this effect once per turn). During your Main Phase, you can Tribute this card: Normal Summon 1 "Puella Witch" monster without Tributing and ignoring its summoning conditions.

Notes: The Ritual Monsters we'll be going by levels; 3-8. Can you believe I originally wanted to make her on summon effect to just gain LP? Also you have to activate the first ability, it's not a passive. This is so you can use the second effect on the same turn. Now spoilers for later, the Puella Witch cards cannot be Normal Summoned or Set and have negative effects when they're Special Summoned so this is a way to bypass those limitations. Also since the core 6 Puella Magi Ritual Monsters all have the same summoning condition. I'm just gonna abbreviate it to "Puella Magi Ritual Condition"

Notes: 2.0: Well this is unchanged, so yeah... I really like the artwork. 

aRAQtlu.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Madoka, Shining Hope

Ritual Effect Monster

Light Spellcaster

Level 4

ATK 1900/DEF 1500

Effect: Puella Magi Ritual Condition. If this card is Ritual Summoned: target 1 card on the field, the next time that card would be destroyed or banished, it isn't. When an opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card that targets  face-up "Puella" monster(s) (Quick Effect): you can change that card to only target this card instead. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect, Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Puella Witch" from your hand, Deck, or GY. 

Notes: I know, I know I forgot the floating effect on this card. I'll fix that asap. But yes this is decent protection for the archetype, giving a lingering one time protection effect and the ability to protect your stronger monsters by sacrificing herself. Also note that  the floating effect is not optional and does not miss timing. Which is both a blessing and a bane as you'll see later.

Update: Added floating effect that the other Puella Magi cards have.

Notes 2.0: Well her effect is mostly the same, only that now she can sacrifice herself from any spell or trap that targets a "puella" monster; although the wording may be off. I didn't really have another card to base the wording off of.

G7MZJ3X.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Homura, Puella Temporalist

Ritual Effect Monster

Dark Spellcaster

Level 5

ATK 2200/DEF 2400

Effect: Puella Magi Ritual Condition. If this card is Ritual Summoned: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower, "Puella" monster from your GY. You can only use this effect of "Puella Magi Homura, Puella Temporalist" once per turn. Once per turn, you can target 1 monster your opponent controls (Quick Effect); until the beginning of your next Standby Phase, its effect(s) are negated and it cannot attack. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: Special Summon 1 Level 5 "Puella Witch" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Notes: Handy card allowing for revival of the non-Ritual Puella monsters, but can also revive Madoka Shining Hope (of course). The stun effect, an allude to her time stopping powers, also makes this well rounded.

Notes 2.0: Well I buffed her a bit more, making her stun effect a soft once per turn and giving her a little more ATK/DEF.

Pk5fP7T.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Sayaka, Puella Knight

Ritual Effect Monster

Water Spellcaster

Level 6

ATK 2400/DEF 1200

Effect: Puella Magi Ritual Condition. If this card is Ritual Summoned: target 1 face-up monster you control. The next time it would be targeted by an opponent's card effect; negate that card's activation and if you do, destroy it. Once per turn, when your opponent's monster declares an attack, or activates an effect that would target another "Puella" monster(s) you control; you can change that card to only target this card, if you do, this card cannot be destroyed by that battle or that card's effect and gains 500 ATK. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: Special Summon 1 Level 6 "Puella Witch" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Notes: Yeah... already planning to switch this to protection from monster effects only; total protection is kinda nuts. Plus it fits as this is meant to be your answer to monsters. Able to guard your lower ATK Puella monsters.   

Edit: Balanced this card a few times. Gave it a similar effect to Madoka, giving lingering target immunity and shifting the effect so she can take the blunt of attacks or monster effects; keeping the ATK gain as well.

Notes 2.0: Lots to unpack here. First she shares that awkward "make this card only target me" effect Madoka has and now she has an indestructable effect on the monster attack/effect she intercepts; a reference to her extreme healing factor.

lt2D6th.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Kyoko, Vibrant Vanguard 

Ritual Effect Monster

Fire Spellcaster

Level 7

ATK 2500/ DEF 2500

Effect: Puella Magi Ritual Condition. When this card is Ritual Summoned: Draw until you have 2 cards in your hand. You can only use this effect of "Puella Magi Kyoko, Vibrant Vanguard" once per turn. When a card or effect is activated that targets a face-up "Puella" monster(s) you control; you can negate the activation and if you do, destroy it. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect. Special Summon 1 Level 7 "Puella Witch" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Notes: Honestly Kyoko feels like the most complete combo between the effect monster and the Ritual Monster. Also a one time omni-negate, wouldn't be modern Yu-Gi-Oh without something having it. I suppose I could have also made both cards have 200 DEF, that'd make it truly modern.

Notes: 2.0 Literally a small upgrade, allowing her to negate when it's multiple targets and when it targets her. I did consider it being a hard once per turn omni-negate; but given the core 6 ritual monsters are not the boss monsters of this archetype it didn't seem right. Plus you'll see later that, you can return the ritual monsters to the field and if you can do that; it's actually better cause this is not a once per turn effect. 

zXlU2FH.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Mami, Arcanist Eminence 

Ritual Effect Monster

Earth Spellcaster

Level 8

ATK 2800/DEF 2400

Effect: Puella Magi Ritual Condition. Once per turn, when this card is Ritual Summoned; you can add 1 "Puella Magi" monster, except "Puella Magi Mami, Arcanist Eminence" from your Deck to your hand. Gains 500 ATK for every other "Puella" monster you control. This card can attack monsters your opponent controls a number of times equal to the number of "Puella Magi" monsters you control. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect, Special Summon 1 Level 8 "Puella Witch" from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Notes: Is it weird that the highest level has the searching effect? I mean given you aren't suppose to really care that much about the levels since all the non-Ritual Puella monsters are full tributes. Anyway, this is also your big beatstick (boomstick?), for when you go to war with full boards of monsters. Also glad I googled synonyms for leader, cause eminence sounds way better for a classy lady, and her dopple form Holy Mami. 

Notes 2.0: Well this only has a few changes. Made it so all Puella monsters increase her attack, and a soft once per turn on her on Ritual Summon; although that might be redundant. Also eagle eye viewers may notice all the on Ritual Summon effects are now "if" effects, vs. "when". There'll be a reason for this later. Finally some in the comments said that the multi-attack thing might be a ruling nightmare. However I think it's pretty simple, before Mami attacks, check how many times she's attacked and put that against the number of Puella Magi monsters you control. If it's less, you can attack; if it's equal or higher, you can't. If during an attack, the number of "Puella Magi" monsters you control changes so that Mami can't make any more attack that battle phase, replay occurs with Mami stopping her attack and that is considered 1 of the attacks she can make.

Puella Witch:

znK8N2f.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Charlotte

Effect Monster

Wind Spellcaster

Level 3

ATK 1500/DEF 1000

Effect: You can Special Summoned (from your hand) by destroying 1 "Puella" monster you control. If this card is destroyed by an opponent's card: You can target 1 card your opponent controls, send it to the GY.

Notes: Man the spelling errors on the first version were BAD, corrected them all here. I'd say this is an introduction to how Witches work, but given Nagisa/Charlotte were weirdly made cards compared to the rest of the archetype. As in the show we rarely saw her in Magical Girl form, only ever saw her in witch form or "Dopple" form (before Dopples were a thing). Still her destruction effect is a good form of removal.

Notes 2.0: Another simple note, just removed the No normal summon/set clause. The whole Nagisa line continues to be the black sheep of the group.

Fhuid7s.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Kriemhild Gretchen

Effect Monster

Light Spellcaster

Level 4

ATK 1900/DEF 1500

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Whenever a card owned by the current turn's player is sent to the GY; it is banished instead. If you control another "Puella" monster, except "Puella Witch Kriemhild Gretchen", your opponent cannot target this card for an attack. Once per turn, when a Spell/Trap card or effect is activate; you can negate the activation and destroy it, if you do, banish 5 cards from the top of your Deck.

Notes: Well this is a bad streak; but for the opposite reason. Here we don't see enough of Madoka's witch form. But at least I can properly talk about witches now. They all float from their Puella Magi counterparts: have identical stats and attribute. But have a negative effect on the field or when special summoned but often have an effect that gives protection or a quick way to get rid of them while gaining benefits. These effects typically try to mirror their "Puella Magi" counterparts. You typically don't want to float into witches unless you have a plan to use them. Gretchen's effect is actually more of an anti-Goddess Madoka then her original ritual monster. You really don't want your cards banished in this architype.

Notes 2.0: Ok, I could have gotten rid of the no normal summon/set on the rest of the witches, but I chose not to. My reason is two fold, the first is thematic as the witches are seen as enemies at first and unnatural to the world; so therefore they have a more unnatural summoning system. The second is a balance perspective, the girls were designed to almost always float into a witch and is special summonable from the hand, deck, and GY. You're never not going to go neutral with a Puella Magi card, so I wanted to put some restrictions. Anyway, Gretchen had to be reworked was given a utility I did not intend; which may make the card worse, but now balanced.

dYBg5H3.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Homulilly

Effect Monster

Level 5

ATK 2000/DEF 2200

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. When this card is Special Summoned; negate the effects of all other face-up "Puella" monsters until the End Phase (but their effects can still be activated). At the start of the Damage Step; negate the effect(s) of monsters this card battles (even if this card leaves the field).

Notes: Effect stuns all around as the effects of Humulilly's labyrinth causes everyone to forget. 

Notes 2.0: Reduced the frankly insane punishment this card gave. So at least you can use hand traps and new monsters aren't negated.

o6KIwhn.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Oktavia von Seckendorff

Effect Monster

Water Spellcaster

Level 6

ATK 2400/DEF 1200

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If this card is Special Summoned, destroy all other monsters you control, then target a number of monsters your opponent controls up to the number of monsters destroyed this way; destroy them. This card gain 500 ATK for each monster destroyed by this effect.

Notes: I really hate this card. I know I made it earlier then the others and was creating harsher punishments for the witches. Yet I also cannot think of a better anti-Sayaka effect. I'll take suggestions in the comments please.

Notes 2.0: Now I think this is an improvement, others may say not. You can proc other witch summons, destroy opponent cards, and then end on a 3 or 4k beater.

ov5h7hM.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Ophelia

Effect Monster

Fire Spellcaster

Level 7

ATK 2500/DEF 2500

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. When this card is Special Summoned, discard 1 card. When a monster(s) would be Summoned: you can Tribute this card: negate the Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster(s).

Notes: Well this witch just didn't ever appear in any media outside of the Gatcha games so I have literally nothing to work with. Still the wiki said this is the witch of self-abandonment. So following Kyoko's omni-negate, I figured using the other half of the Solemn Brigade would fit.

Notes 2.0: This is fine. I mean really I did consider giving it the full solemn judgement. But I think that's kinda not needed given Kyoko gives the other half of it. 

OjzNblM.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Candeloro

Effect Monster

Earth Spellcaster

Level 8

ATK 2800/DEF 2400

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When a player Summons their first monster each turn; until the End Phase, its effect(s) are negated and it cannot attack. If this effect is activated on an opponent's monster; it also cannot be used as material to Special Summon a monster from the Extra Deck until the End Phase. Gains 500 ATK for each monster your opponent controls.

Notes: I swear I saw this in Puella Magi Side Story, but I can't remember. Still it entices your monsters to stay, forever. Yeah... I'm thinking of modifying this effect.

Notes 2.0: Candeloro gets a face lift with a way better effect. You can probably play around it better then your opponent, and the more they combo to try and run this thing over the worse their situation gets.

juYuCRE.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Walpurgisnacht

Effect Monster

Dark Spellcaster

Level 9

ATK 2900/ DEF 3600

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing from your side of the field, and/or banishing from the GY, 5 "Puella" monsters. If this card would be destroyed or banished by battle or card effect: you can banish 1 "Puella" monster from your GY instead, then destroy 1 other card on the field.

Notes: First boss monster of the archetype; although ideally not your Plan A. Like in the show, this thing's near indestructible and punishes those who would attempt to harm her. While the summoning condition is a pain and can even inhibit its own effect, this thing will cause serious problems for most decks.

Notes 2.0: Just added a little extra protection from banishing.

Other Puella Monsters:

X0xsPBB.jpg

Card Name: Puella Doppel Fusion

Normal Spell

Effect: Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck that lists a "Puella" monster as material, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Materials. If you use a Ritual Summoned "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster you control as Fusion Material, you can also use monsters from you Deck as material. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY, you can banish this card from the GY; add 1 "Puella" Ritual Monster or 1 "Puella" Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

V6hfOuD.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Dopple, Despair Embodied 

Fusion Effect Monster

Dark Spellcaster

Level 6

ATK 2300/DEF 2300

Effect: (This card is always treated as a "Puella Witch" card)

1 "Puella Magi" monster + 1 "Puella Witch" monster with the same Level.

You can target 1 "Puella" monster in your GY (Quick Effect); until the End Phase, this card gains the effect(s) of that monster. If you would Special Summon exactly 1 "Puella" monster; you can instead Special Summon this card from the GY, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of "Puella Magi Dopple, Despair Embodied" once per turn.

Notes 2.0: Now I know what you're thinking, what is a fusion monster doing here? I did want to give Side Story some representation but not make another dozen monsters. So here is what we get, a Phantom of Chaos like effect and the ability to get a better "Witch" when your other Puella Magi monsters die. Also the Fusion Spell at least helps the ritual focus with its GY effect. Lastly, the spell's artwork is from the anime; no kidding doesn't that look like a fusion spell art.

IjoGGd3.png

Card Name: Puella Kyubey, Apathetic Incubator 

Link Effect Monster

Light Spellcaster

Link 3

ATK 1700

Arrows: Top-right, Top-left, Bottom-center

Effect: 2+ monsters, including 1 "Puella" monster.

While you control a "Puella Magi" monster; your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or with card effects. During your Main Phase; you can Tribute monsters this card points to, then Ritual Summon 1 "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster from your hand whose Level equal or exceeds the Level(s) of those monsters. When a "Puella Witch" is summoned; draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Puella Kyubey, Apathetic Incubator" once per turn.

Notes 2.0: ...... look if Vendread can do it, so can I. Now at first this seems like a terrible link monster with its arrows. But I feel like Super Polying your Ritual Monsters out is worth giving your opponent 2 Extra-monster zones. The downward arrow is good as it can allow you to still bring out Dopple and even bypass the need for a Ritual Spell if you only tribute a non-Ritual "Puella" monster. Also I used Dueling Book to make Link Monsters.

SNDsGE2.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Ritual - Law of the Cycle

Ritual Spell

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster or "Puella Goddess Madoka". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon or Tribute 1 Ritual Summoned "Puella Magi Madoka, Shining Hope". If a "Puella" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect while this card is in your GY you can banish this card instead.

EK33Cr7.jpg

Card Name: Puella Goddess Madoka

Ritual Effect Monster

Light Spellcaster

Level 10

ATK 3000/DEF 2800

Summoning Chant: "Let this ultimate sacrifice save the world from despair as a new reality of hope is created!  Ritual Summon! Descend Puella Goddess Madoka!" 

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with "Puella Magi Ritual-Law of the Cycle". Other monsters you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. During your Main Phase, you can Special Summon 1 "Puella" monster from your hand or GY, except a "Puella Goddess" or "Puella Devil" monster, ignoring its summoning conditions. If you Special Summon a "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster this way, this Special Summon is treated as a Ritual Summon. You can target 1 card that was sent to the GY this turn (Quick Effect); return it to its owner's hand. You can only activate each effect of "Puella Goddess Madoka" once per turn. 

Notes 2.0: Here's what I imagine a lot of you have been waiting for. Your main boss monster for the archetype, giving swarming options, the ability to reproc Ritual Summon effects, protection, and a 3k body on top of that. Honestly took a few tries to get right, but I'm proud of this. The ritual spell is also handy as it can be used on the other girls and can protect them if they don't have their own protection (or if the Goddess herself is set to be destroyed).

ujPkZDS.jpg

Card Name: Puella Witch Ritual - Rebellion 

Ritual Spell

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon "Puella Devil Homura". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or side of the field whose total Levels equal 11 or more, or banish 1 "Puella Goddess Madoka" from your field or GY. You can banish this card from your GY; Normal Summon 1 "Puella Witch" from your hand without Tributing and ignoring its summoning conditions. You can only use this effect of "Puella Witch Ritual - Rebellion" once per turn. 

9vgtgjH.jpg

Card Name: Puella Devil Homura

Ritual Effect Monster

Dark Spellcaster

Level 11

ATK 3650/DEF 3050

Summoning Chant: "Beyond wishes and curses, beyond hope and despair: lies true love. Rebel against creation itself as a new reality of peace and punishment is born. Ritual Summon! Arise Puella Devil Homura!"

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with "Puella Witch Ritual - Rebellion". Unaffected by other card effects. During your opponent's Main Phase, you can banish this Ritual Summoned card; shuffle all cards on your side of the field, in your hand, and in your GY into your deck, then your opponent banishes all cards on their side of the field, in their hand, and in their GY face-down. Both players draw 5 cards, then you can Special Summon 1 "Homura" monster from your hand or Deck, except "Puella Devil Homura", ignoring its summoning conditions. You can only use this effect of "Puella Devil Homura" once per duel.

Notes 2.0: Well...that happened. For the most unsearchable pair of cards and one of the hardest summoning conditions of this archetype you get to basically reset the game only your opponent is down some combo pieces, extra deck monsters, and some one-off cards while you get a fresh deck and a free monster that can effect stun at Spell Speed 2. Yeah, that's a once per duel effect. Even without you have an Ultimate Falcon with better stats. Truly the embodiment of selfishness; mine included.

Spells/Traps:

rUFWCXz.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Holy Quintet!

Normal Spell

Effect: Send any number of "Puella" monsters you control to the GY; for each one, Special Summon 1 "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster from your hand or Deck with the same original Attribute as the card sent. (This Special Summon is treated as a Ritual Summon). During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY, banish this card from your GY; return 1 "Puella" monster from your GY to your hand. You can only activate each effect of "Puella Magi Holy Quintet!" once per turn.

Notes 2.0: Ok ok, this is the last direct Ritual support card. Sure the setup is tricky and realistically the base case scenario is you turning two witches into Ritual Monsters.

JN52S4B.jpg

Card Name: Grief Seed Harvest

Normal Spell

Effect: Destroy 1 "Puella" monster you control; draw 1 card, then you may shuffle 1 "Puella Witch" monster from your hand into the deck, if you do draw 1 card. If you destroy a Ritual Summoned "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster, instead shuffle any number of cards from your hand into the Deck, then draw the same number of cards plus 2. 

Notes 2.0: I could NOT find any good artwork of Kyube "eating" a grief seed so this is my 3rd and final use of in anime screenshots. Otherwise, pot of greed, this is not. It's a risky inclusion but can help extend your plays.

MqqB89p.jpg

Card Name: Puella Insensitivity

Quick Play Spell

Effect: Target 1 face-up, Attack Position, "Puella" monster you control; until the End Phase, it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects and cannot change its battle position, then apply this effect depending on whose turn it is:

- During your turn: the targeted monster can, and must, attack all monsters your opponent controls once each if able. 

-During your opponent's turn: all monsters your opponent controls must attack if able, and can only attack the targeted monster.

Notes 2.0: Yeah that was a dark moment. In exchange for instant invulnerability your monster will be forced to attack or be attacked. Hope you targeted a Ritual Monster or Witch.

E8Ohft7.jpg

Card Name: Puella Absolute Configuration 

Quick Play Spell:

Effect: Activate only during the Battle Phase, negate the effects of all face-up monsters your opponent controls until the End Phase, also, for the rest of the turn after this card resolves, when an attack is declared involving a "Puella" monster you control; your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap and monster effects until the end of the Damage Step. If you control 2 or more "Puella Magi" monsters; cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's activation.

Notes 2.0: This is actually the last card I made. I could NOT make a card in reference to one of the best animated gun fights in anime history (in my opinion). Still this is a full stun on your opponent's board and secures your battle phase or can be used to disrupt the opponent's turn. Plus the potential to be Spell Speed 4.

0m94xfx.jpg

Card Name: Puella Combination

Normal Trap

Effect: Target 2 face-up, "Puella" monsters you control; banish them, then Special Summon both banished monsters. If you Special Summon a "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster this way; this Special Summon is treated as a Ritual Summon and if you Special Summon a "Puella Witch" monster this way; its effect(s) that activate on Special Summon are negated. Until the End Phase; increase both monsters' ATK by 1000, but they cannot attack directly. You can only activate 1 "Puella Combination" per turn.

Notes 2.0: The power of friendship! In a pretty awesome trap. Target dodge, reproc effect and an ATK boost. A bit specific conditions, but not too bad. EXCEPT, this thing made me rewrite all the core 6 ritual monsters to change their "when" to "if" on summon, cause otherwise they can miss timing!

OyQf11E.jpg

Card Name: Puella Magi Trio Finale!

Normal Trap

Effect: Target a number of cards on the field equal to the number of face-up "Puella" monsters you control; destroy them. If you control a Ritual Summoned "Puella Magi" Ritual Monster, you can activate this card from your hand.

Notes 2.0: Always end on a bang. Maybe not the most impactful of cards. But how better to finish this archetype but with a finisher move.

I want to give a special thanks to Dokutah Jolly and ITSUKDSOADO for their feedback in helping me refine a lot of the cards. 

But more importantly I wanna give a thanks to anyone who followed me through my mad quest and got to the end here. I hope you all enjoy the finished product.  

welcome to YCM, follow the rules and enjoy your stay

Kyubey: pretty good ritual spell that able to recycle its advantage turn after turn. solid

Madoka: starting form here most "normal" version of the magical girls have advantage effect that applied when other card is affected by something. now this is not bad effect per say, but it set expectation that the rest of the archetype either has really good swarm effect or protection to summon/protect the normal girls so it can activate the effect successfully.  as for madoka here it search the spell by any instance of destruction including from your own card which make much more flexible. so if you can provide good summon/protection this is kinda solid card

Homura: the fact it extent further by your ritual summoning is amazing

Sayaka: now this is what i afraid from the normal girls gimmick. sayaka here proly the worse of its kind. abysmal stat make her easy to roll over and opponent more often than not will pop this card first while still have targeting effect to spare to further screw your play

Nagisa: another good extender. breaks the gimmick a bit for having ignition base effect instead trigger like everyone else but that its exactly her strong points

Kyoko: pretty much E-HERO Bubbleman of the archetype and just as good if not better. it even can complete her ritual version of herself by herself

Mami: its a good extender but it could be better. you can have her trigger of Special summon or even flipped face-up as well. also replace "when" with "If" to make the effect avoid miss-timing

im gonna finished this later. but another note for now: i think you can also give the normal girls ability to search monster of the archetype as well. ritual summon is the most expensive summon type in this game so anything advantage that fuel ritual summon is welcomed of course not only the spell search but also the tribute fooder

trumpeter: extend to the normal girls and cheat out the witches. pretty solid

shining hope: well it protect normal girls while it can "sacrifice" herself to summon gretchen. now the thing is i know that you wanna give the magi a flexible but still limited ability summon which witches since the witch are supposedly unique to each girls but i think its a bit to limiting since if you make it level 4 or lower it may summon charlotte for more realistic flexibility without actually being game breaking much 

Temporalist: well you said it better.

Knight: good protection effect. decent "sacrifice effect"

Vanguard: good draw effect, the omni negate could be stronger since it only protect specific thing so changed it to HOPT is better.

Eminence: the multi attack effect is interesting albeit ruling nightmare if opponent manage to pop your monster on your battle phase so i think it needs some extras although im not really sure how

Charlotte: extend to more witches (although it kinda bad thing actually) and has decent removal

gretchen: while witches are supposed to be weak/backfire i find gertchen not that bad actually. 2 copies of this perform attack lock while also still having the ever-dreaded mass banish

Homulily: the effect not that bad. its just the stat is so abyssmal

oktavia: its a reach but oktavia destruction effect is not really bad...well its still bad but not the worst IMO. there quite a lot water monster that float-happy

ophelia: i think you can actually buff this to become straight copy of solemn judment and it will still be fine

candeloro: now this what i call the worst witch. it can't even allow normal girls to activate effect to regain advantage you lost in most scenario you summon this

Walpurgist: solid boss monster although it more on reactive side

I think the ritual spell should return itself to the deck and let you draw a card otherwise most of the low level monster's effects become a lot less useful. Some of the witches seem a little to restrictive in their summoning despite the ritual being able to get them out and some of their effects harm the archetype like removing from play all cards sent to the GY and preventing your monsters from doing anything. Very creative!

• Baron-777 changed the title to Puella Magi Madoka Magica Archetype Update 2.0

So gonna leave this here for anyone old coming back, the set is officially done and posted. I will not be making any future cards for this archetype nor changing the cards at their core; only fixing grammar and spelling if need be. So take another look if you haven't done so recently and hope you enjoy it.

Archived