Matchless - Forming an Archetype #42 (16/16)

Atypical-Abbie

Matchless is an Archetype of Level 4 and 5 Warrior monsters with various Attributes. They focus on using Level 4 and 5 Warrior in combination, using various Attributes Normal Spells, not having a normal draw and Fusion Monsters. Their general playstyle revolves around sacrificing the normal draw for various effects, and many effects unlock if you didn't conduct a normal draw. Their Field Spell, Camp of the Matchless Army, also provides various bonuses for them, and protect Warriors from being targeted, and their Fusion Monsters provide the strongest monsters, combining Flame of Unity with Freed the Matchless Liberator provides a powerful double attacker that will be hard to get rid of, especially if you got Camp on the field.

They are based on an army, and as there are other Freed monsters with other Attributes, I wanted to make that into the theme for the Deck, rather than Warrior/EARTH as the original card was, so that enforced the Attribute based decisions in the design, the Fusion Monsters were made since I recently made a few Decks that used Warrior Fusion based tactics, I came into the Normal Spells idea due to many Warrior support cards being Normal Spells. Deck Sample: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=8279084

Original Card:

billede.png.d32c1e656c6947807fdc6d349060bb27.png
Negate any Spell effects that target this card, and if you do, destroy that Spell Card. During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect.

New Cards:

Main Deck Monsters.

Matchless Soldier of Light
Warrior/LIGHT
Level 4
If this card is added from your Deck or GY to your hand by a card effect, except during the Main Phase: You can Special Summon this card. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned from your hand: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or 5 Warrior monster from your hand with a different Attribute from this card. You can only use each effect of "Matchless Soldier of Light" once per turn.
1700/1200

Matchless Knight of Freedom
Warrior/EARTH
Level 4
If this card is Special Summoned from your hand: You can target 1 "Matchless" monster in your GY, except "Matchless Soldier of Freedom"; Special Summon that target. If this card is in your GY, during your Draw Phase, if you if you did not conduct your normal draw this turn: You can place this card on top of your Deck. If you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", you can add it to your hand instead. You can only use each "Matchless Knight of Freedom" once per turn.
1800/1500

Matchless Rusher of Revolution
Warrior/WIND
Level 4
If your opponent takes battle damage: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card leaves the field because it was used as a Fusion Material and is now in the GY or banished: You can draw 2 cards, then place 1 card from your hand on top of your Deck. If this card is banished, during your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add this card to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Matchless Rusher of Revolution" once per turn.
1600/1200

Matchless Flame of Unity
Warrior/FIRE/Union
Level 4
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up Warrior monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. It gains 500 ATK/DEF and can make a second attack during each Battle Phase. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. If this card is in your GY, if you did not conduct your normal draw this turn: You can target 1 Warrior monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Matchless Flame of Unity".
1000/2000

Freed the Matchless Commander    
Warrior/DARK
Level 5
If this card is in your hand or GY, during your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can Special Summon this card, but place it on the top of your Deck when it leaves the field. Negate any Trap effects that target this card, and if you do, destroy that Trap. During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add 1 Level 5 or higher Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect.
1700/2300

Extra Deck Monsters:

Freed the Matchless Captain
Warrior/WATER/Fusion
Level 8
2 "Matchless" monsters with different Attributes
If this card is Fusion Summoned: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 Warrior monster from your hand or Deck. Negate any monster effects that target this card, and if you do, destroy that monster. During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add Normal Spell from your Deck to your hand. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect.
2000/2000

Freed the Matchless Liberator
Warrior/LIGHT/Fusion
Level 9
1 Level 4 or lower Warrior monster + 1 Level 5 or higher Warrior monster
Must be either Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by banishing the above cards you control with different Attributes (in which case you do not use "Polymerization"). Your opponent cannot target Warrior monsters you control for attacks or effects, except this card. Once per turn, when this card is targeted for an attack or your opponent's effect (Quick Effect): You can discard 1 card; negate the activation, effect or attack, and if you do, destroy that card.
2500/2500

Freed the Matchless Lord
Warrior/EARTH/Fusion
Level 9
3 Warriors with different Attributes, including a "Freed" monster
If this card is Fusion Summoned: You can destroy cards your opponent control, up to the number of Warrior monsters with different Attributes in your GY, but if you destroy 3 or more, do not conduct your normal draw during your next Draw Phase. Unaffected by your opponent's effects that do not target it. During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can Special Summon 1 "Freed" monster from your Deck or GY. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect.
2800/2200

Spells/Traps:

Camp of the Matchless Army
Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 "Matchless" card to your hand, also send the remaining cards to the GY. While you control a Level 5 or higher Warrior monster, negate your opponent's effects that target Warrior monsters you control, and if you do, destroy that card. You can only activate 1 "Camp of the Matchless Army" once per turn.

Charge of the Matchless Army
Normal Spell
Special Summon 2 monsters from your hand, 1 Level 4 Warrior or lower monster and 1 Level 5 or higher Warrior monster. If this card is in your GY, during your Draw Phase, if you did not conduct your normal draw this turn: You can place this card on top of your Deck, or if you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", you can add it to your hand instead. You can only use each effect of "Charge of the Matchless Army" once per turn.

Bravery of the Matchless Army
Normal Spell
Add 1 "Matchless" card from your Deck or GY to your hand, except "Bravery of the Matchless Army", also do not conduct your normal draw during your next Draw Phase. If this card is in your GY: You can banish this card, then target 1 "Matchless" card in your GY; place it on top of your Deck. You can only use each effect of "Bravery of the Matchless Army" once per turn.

Strategy of the Matchless Army
Normal Spell
If you control both a Level 4 or lower and a Level 5 or higher Warrior monster(s): Draw 2 cards. If this card is in your GY, during your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your normal draw: You can add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Strategy of the Matchless Army" once per turn.

Call of the Matchless Army
Normal Spell
Fusion Summon 1 Warrior Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If you did not conduct your normal draw this turn, you can also send monsters from your Deck to the GY as material. If this card is in your GY: You can send 1 Warrior monster from your hand or field to the GY; place this card on top of your Deck, or if you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", you can add it to your hand instead. You can only use each effect of "Call of the Matchless Army" once per turn.

March of the Matchless Army
Normal Trap
Special Summon any number of "Matchless" monsters from your hand with different Attributes, but if you Special Summon 3 or more, do not conduct your normal draw during your next Draw Phase. If you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "March of the Matchless Army" per turn.

Retreat of the Matchless Army
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, during the Battle Phase: You can Fusion Summon 1 Warrior Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", monsters on your field can be returned to your hand instead of sending them to the GY. If this card is in your GY, during your Draw Phase, if you did not conduct your normal draw this turn: You can activate this card from your GY, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Flank of the Matchless Army
Counter Trap
When a monster(s) would be Summoned, OR when a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect, is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s) while you control a Level 5 or higher Warrior monster: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then if you control "Camp of the Matchless Army", Set this card instead of sending it to the GY, also do not conduct your normal draw during your next Draw Phase. You can only activate 1 "Flank of the Matchless Army" per turn.

I love the gimmick of working with not conducting a normal draw. My only worry is there are a lot of cards in the archetype that require you give up your normal draw. My biggest question is do the effects conflict? For instance if I wanted to use Freed the General, Commander, and Captain, in one turn can I?

I wish the extra deck monsters were both level 9 ( just to have the option of XYZ and because levels 4+5=9)

I wish there were some cards that work on "Freed" all the Freeds only the Freeds

I can't get over how good the wording, balance, and creativity of these awesome cards.

2 more worries:

1. You can activate multiple Retreats of the Matchless Army per turn without losing anything.

2. What is the offensive capabilities of the deck? As far as I can tell it only has swarm and negation effects. Any good synergetic cards (probably warriors) that you think would work well to make up for that?

2 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I love the gimmick of working with not conducting a normal draw. My only worry is there are a lot of cards in the archetype that require you give up your normal draw. My biggest question is do the effects conflict? For instance if I wanted to use Freed the General, Commander, and Captain, in one turn can I?

I wish the extra deck monsters were both level 9 ( just to have the option of XYZ and because levels 4+5=9)

I wish there were some cards that work on "Freed" all the Freeds only the Freeds

I can't get over how good the wording, balance, and creativity of these awesome cards.

2 more worries:

1. You can activate multiple Retreats of the Matchless Army per turn without losing anything.

2. What is the offensive capabilities of the deck? As far as I can tell it only has swarm and negation effects. Any good synergetic cards (probably warriors) that you think would work well to make up for that?

You can only give up your normal draw once, it's unlikely you'll have multiple versions of Freed on the board to do so though, it conflicts with a few of the cards, but it's a balancing thing, hence why Bravery and Strategy card important cards so you can keep getting more cards, the placing on top of the Deck is made specifically to combo these two cards, works even better if you just activated Camp.

Well, the Fusion Monsters' Levels were made because two Matchless monsters typically make Level 8, and a Level 4 and a Level 5 make Level 9. I don't know why you would give up your Fusion Monsters for Xyzs though, especially since they don't have Levels and won't achieve the protection from Camp.

Honestly the other Freed cards from the original game aren't exactly worth using in this Deck, and to achieve the most freedom in what you can do in this Archetype, I made it so most Warriors can be used regardless.

Retreat has a OPT for the first effect, you mean the GY effect? It's banished, so I don't see a problem.

Well as I stated in the main post, the main thing is to get out Liberator and equip it with Unity, making a 3000 ATK double attacker. If you have Camp on the field, it becomes especially difficult to get rid of, though there are of course plenty of options you can go, either Fusion Summoning another Warrior, spamming the field with Charge or March. They are spam and protection orientated more than attack orientated, though perhaps I should give them some sort of card that can destroy an opponent's card, but I feel like you have other ways of doing that kind of thing with the Extra Deck.

EDIT: You know what, why not, I made a new card that blows some stuff up and support "Freed" monsters specifically, called Freed the Matchless Lord.

• Atypical-Abbie changed the title to Matchless - Forming an Archetype #42 (16/16)
8 hours ago, Abbie said:

You can only give up your normal draw once, it's unlikely you'll have multiple versions of Freed on the board to do so though, it conflicts with a few of the cards, but it's a balancing thing, hence why Bravery and Strategy card important cards so you can keep getting more cards, the placing on top of the Deck is made specifically to combo these two cards, works even better if you just activated Camp.

Well, the Fusion Monsters' Levels were made because two Matchless monsters typically make Level 8, and a Level 4 and a Level 5 make Level 9. I don't know why you would give up your Fusion Monsters for Xyzs though, especially since they don't have Levels and won't achieve the protection from Camp.

Honestly the other Freed cards from the original game aren't exactly worth using in this Deck, and to achieve the most freedom in what you can do in this Archetype, I made it so most Warriors can be used regardless.

Retreat has a OPT for the first effect, you mean the GY effect? It's banished, so I don't see a problem.

Well as I stated in the main post, the main thing is to get out Liberator and equip it with Unity, making a 3000 ATK double attacker. If you have Camp on the field, it becomes especially difficult to get rid of, though there are of course plenty of options you can go, either Fusion Summoning another Warrior, spamming the field with Charge or March. They are spam and protection orientated more than attack orientated, though perhaps I should give them some sort of card that can destroy an opponent's card, but I feel like you have other ways of doing that kind of thing with the Extra Deck.

EDIT: You know what, why not, I made a new card that blows some stuff up and support "Freed" monsters specifically, called Freed the Matchless Lord.

I understand the balance of giving up your draw only once.

I guess you don't want the XYZ in this deck.

The other Freed cards aren't awful but I agree I wouldn't use them.

I meant retreat's first effect is soft OPT so if you have 3 copies out you an get 3 fusions easily (maybe this is intended?) if you draw camp retreat and 3 matchless peak starting hand.

Yay! Always happy to see a new buddy on the team. I think this gives the deck some much needed offensive capability more so then building to 3k double attacker.

Again really cool and thanks for going through my reply and telling me the logic I may have been missing. I love learning from a wonderful maker such as you!

Just now, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I understand the balance of giving up your draw only once.

I guess you don't want the XYZ in this deck.

The other Freed cards aren't awful but I agree I wouldn't use them.

I meant retreat's first effect is soft OPT so if you have 3 copies out you an get 3 fusions easily (maybe this is intended?) if you draw camp retreat and 3 matchless peak starting hand.

Yay! Always happy to see a new buddy on the team. I think this gives the deck some much needed offensive capability more so then building to 3k double attacker.

Again really cool and thanks for going through my reply and telling me the logic I may have been missing. I love learning from a wonderful maker such as you!

About retreat, it's intended to return monsters on the field to the hand, ones in the hand are sent to the GY. I'm gonna re-word that to make it clearer.

Thanks for the kind words, I don't know if I'm a wonderful card maker by any means, but I have done this for over a decade at this point, so I have learned some things along the way, still have some issues with the balance, sometimes it's too powerful, sometimes it's too weak, as I don't pay a lot of attention to the meta these days.

Archived