Dead Men Tell No Tales - New Archetype [20/20]

MickeyDee

By day these Pirates sail the Cursed Sea looking to plunder from the Decks of enemy ships.  But at night they show their true selves. New Archetype based on pirates and especially the premise of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Will be posted piecemeal unlike my previous Archetype, the Ionic Spirits, as these guys are less structured and I'm hoping for some feedback to help me know what effects they need.

Dark Moon over the Cursed Sea – Field

image.png.2768282cc91a5cbe00547bb9b3138e8f.png

All monsters face up on the field become Zombie type. Negate any card effect that would move a card in the Graveyard to another place – except “Cursed Sea” cards. During the End Phase of each turn: the turn player must send the top card from their deck to the Graveyard.

Jolly Roger, Revenant of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Tuner * 0/0

image.png.c0adbe562434dea4507a589cc5a3154f.png

When this card is used in the Synchro summoning of a Zombie monster: send the top 2 cards from your opponent’s deck to the graveyard. When a “Cursed Sea” Synchro monster is sent from the field to the graveyard: Special summon this card from the Graveyard. Each effect of “Jolly Roger, Revenant of the Cursed Sea” may only be activated once per turn.

Cursed Sea Marauder – Water Warrior **** 1700/600

image.png.9b52437a471842010cae188633cb22cd.png

When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: send the top card of their deck to the Graveyard. If this card’s type is Zombie: replace its effect with the following:

·       Increase this card’s ATK by 100 for every card sent from your opponent’s deck to the GY by card effect. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: send the top 2 cards from your opponent’s deck to the Graveyard.

Cursed Sea Lookout – Water Psychic*** 1200/400

image.png.dbc133c34a8321ffcab6d591612dbf2d.png

Once per turn: you can discard 1 card; send the top card from your opponent’s deck to the Graveyard. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; add 1 “Cursed Sea” card of the same type (Monster, Spell, Trap) as the card sent to the Graveyard by this card’s effect to your hand.

Cursed Sea Buccaneer – Water Warrior **** 1600/600

image.png.b976e82a69244c3bcf623196916bd068.png

When this card destroys an opponent’s monster in battle: send the top card of their deck to the Graveyard; then if this card is Zombie type; special summon 1 “Cursed Sea” monster with equal or less ATK as the destroyed monster from your hand or deck.

Cursed Sea Parrot – Water Winged Beast ** 400/0

image.png.26015c67b97bad0436fef7380cfe7b07.png

If you control 1 “Cursed Sea” monster; you can special summon this card from your hand. If it is a Zombie type; you can special summon this card from your Graveyard instead. You can only activate 1 “Cursed Sea Parrot” effect a turn and each effect can only be activated once per turn.

Cursed Sea Shipwright – Water Spellcaster Tuner *** 800/400

image.png.2b0ffb18cda8767e720dc8410695c048.png

A Synchro summoning using this card may use Zombie monsters on either side of the field as the other materials. Once per turn: if a "Cursed Sea" Synchro monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect: banish this card from your side of the field or GY instead.

Cursed Sea Gunner – Water Pyro *** 1400/400

image.png.5ebf1241fa20b8e46ebe96a6df7f9587.png

Once per turn: you can send this face up card to the GY; shuffle 1 monster your opponent controls into their deck. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; send the top 2 cards from their deck to the Graveyard.

Acheron, Clipper of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ***** 2400/800

image.png.e955e928929c5e8e196d9fc0e7563110.png

1 "Cursed Sea" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When this card destroys a monster in battle: send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to its level.

Phlegethon, Gunboat of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ****** 2500/700

image.png.5884c01fe375cc5029360951a8932bdb.png

1 “Cursed Sea” Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. During damage calculation in a battle involving this card: excavate the top 5 cards from your opponent’s deck; send any monsters revealed by this effect to the Graveyard and return the other cards to the top of the deck in any order. This card gains ATK equal to the number of cards sent to the Graveyard by this effect X 300 for damage calculation only.

Eridanus, Rowboat of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro *** 1200/500

image.png.2c42d9cb8ba2a27739ce7100d5322f30.png

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When this card is Synchro summoned: special summon 1 monster with 1000 or less DEF from your Graveyard; you may not special summon other monsters this turn except Water monsters.

Lethe, Galleon of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ***** 2200/600

image.png.8715c7de34fdabeb63cff8c89ea3b31a.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. Once per turn, when a "Cursed Sea" Spell or Trap would be destroyed; negate that effect. Place 1 "Cannonball Counter" on this card each time a card is sent from your opponent's deck to the GY by card effect. Remove 3 "Cannonball Counter"s from this card; destroy 1 Spell or Trap card from the field.

Kocytos, Frigate of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ******* 2600/1000

image.png.16a02a12e7e4ed1cd457848c3785e337.png

1 “Cursed Sea” Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WATER monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When a card is sent from your opponent’s hand or deck to the GY: lower the ATK of all monsters your opponent controls by 100 for each card sent to the GY. If a “Cursed Sea” monster attacks; your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step.

Styx, Flagship of the Curse Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ******** 2800/1200

image.png.6d3f84c5c3fed654136e26ac629ea7d4.png

1 "Cursed Sea" Tuner + 1 or more Zombie type (non-Tuner)  monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. While your opponent has more than 8 cards in the GY: this card can't be targeted by card effects. When this card is sent from the field to the GY by battle or opponent's card effects: you can banish 2 cards from either player's GY; special summon this card.

Salvaged from the Cursed Sea – Trap

image.png.4e5de0543525216ddeb06823499e9816.png

Special summon 1 monster from either players’ Graveyard and equip it with this card; it is now Zombie type. When this card is removed from the field: destroy the equipped monster. When the equipped monster is removed from the field: destroy this card. You cannot Special Summon any monsters the turn you activate this card – except for Zombie type monsters.

Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea – Continuous Spell

image.png.86b8758f38933955ff6ef18bf0740171.png

All "Cursed Sea" monsters on the field are Zombie type.  The first time your opponent sent cards from their Hand or Deck to the Graveyard by a card effect: draw 1 card. You may only control 1 "Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea".

Plunder on the Cursed Sea!

image.png.01308736dcde0fbba9d917c41e03a80d.png

If you control a “Cursed Sea” monster: send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to the difference of monsters you control; add “Cursed Sea” cards from your graveyard to the hand equal to the number of cards sent to the Graveyard by this effect. Skip your next Battle Phase. You can only activate 1 “Plunder of the Cursed Sea” per turn.

Mutiny on the Cursed Sea! – Counter Trap

image.png.37a6904bf070d6a79dd22da0418f9a15.png

When your opponent’s card effect would remove 1 or more “Cursed Sea” cards from the field: negate the activation and destroy it.; then send the top card from your deck to the GY.

Shanghaied to the Cursed Sea! – Quick Play Spell

image.png.0841263f9fcbf00b18dcd6107497c51e.png

When a monster is sent from your opponent’s deck to the GY: special summon it to your side of the field. It cannot attack and its effect is negated. It is now Zombie type.

Marooned on the Cursed Sea!

image.png.496466e5cab4acd6d0da398e9d171513.png

Both players send 1 monster from their decks to their respective GY then draw 1 card.

• MickeyDee changed the title to Dead Men Tell No Tales - New Archetype

The current cards are solid and well done for what the archetype needs, @MickeyDee. They lack a bit of power in general, to be honest, cards in the current meta often are stronger (not necessarily, but with 1 more effect, for instance, or simply more powerful effects, but I dare say these can work with the right support. We can't form a judgment right now because cards are missing, but here are some individual thoughts:

Dark Moon - Favourite of mine because it makes use of that cool and barely used "move" term. I'd add 1 effect here: Once per turn, during the End Phase: The turn player sends 1 card from the top of their Deck to the GY.  Not only helps to the gimmick, but sets up your GY for future plays.

Jolly Roger - Mhm, looks good. I wonder how much you can play with your Synchros. If you were to make a Synchro Tuner, you'd be able to send it to the GY quickly to bring something stronger to the field and revive Jolly at the same time.

Maurader - Lil' Typo here as I imagine you intended it to be "Marauder". Anywho, when you include this kind of effects, it's called replace rather than change. Mmmm... right now I'd say you need Special Summoning and/or drawing power. Here's a funny effect I thought for this guy. If a monster is sent to the GY by this card's effect: Immediately after this effect resolves, Special Summon 1 "Cursed Sea" monster from your Deck with an ATK equal or lower than the ATK of the monster sent to the GY.

Acheron - Alrighty, but it warrants an increase in ATK. There are a lot of generic Tuner + no Tuner Lv 5 Synchros with 2300-2500 ATK, and since this guy needs to destroy stuff by beating the crap out of them, ATK is important!

Salvaged from the Cursed Sea - An excellent example of how to make a balanced card a la old school, I think I don't have complains.

Other effects? How about something that makes the opponent sends card to the GY equal to the difference between the current monsters you control and the opponent's? Keeping a stalling tactic as the opponent can't get rid of your mobs and you mill the deck sounds desperately dlicious xD. Again, you need drawing/adding power. SOmewhere, you could add a monster that, as usual, sends 1 card from opponent's Deck to GY, AND then, you can add a "Cursed Sea" card from your Deck to your hand with the same type of card as the sent to the GY card. Welp, just some ideas n.n

Good luck in the creation of the rest of the archetype :)

On 6/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

The current cards are solid and well done for what the archetype needs, @MickeyDee. They lack a bit of power in general, to be honest, cards in the current meta often are stronger (not necessarily, but with 1 more effect, for instance, or simply more powerful effects, but I dare say these can work with the right support. We can't form a judgment right now because cards are missing, but here are some individual thoughts:

Dark Moon - Favourite of mine because it makes use of that cool and barely used "move" term. I'd add 1 effect here: Once per turn, during the End Phase: The turn player sends 1 card from the top of their Deck to the GY.  Not only helps to the gimmick, but sets up your GY for future plays.

Jolly Roger - Mhm, looks good. I wonder how much you can play with your Synchros. If you were to make a Synchro Tuner, you'd be able to send it to the GY quickly to bring something stronger to the field and revive Jolly at the same time.

Maurader - Lil' Typo here as I imagine you intended it to be "Marauder". Anywho, when you include this kind of effects, it's called replace rather than change. Mmmm... right now I'd say you need Special Summoning and/or drawing power. Here's a funny effect I thought for this guy. If a monster is sent to the GY by this card's effect: Immediately after this effect resolves, Special Summon 1 "Cursed Sea" monster from your Deck with an ATK equal or lower than the ATK of the monster sent to the GY.

Acheron - Alrighty, but it warrants an increase in ATK. There are a lot of generic Tuner + no Tuner Lv 5 Synchros with 2300-2500 ATK, and since this guy needs to destroy stuff by beating the crap out of them, ATK is important!

Salvaged from the Cursed Sea - An excellent example of how to make a balanced card a la old school, I think I don't have complains.

Other effects? How about something that makes the opponent sends card to the GY equal to the difference between the current monsters you control and the opponent's? Keeping a stalling tactic as the opponent can't get rid of your mobs and you mill the deck sounds desperately dlicious xD. Again, you need drawing/adding power. SOmewhere, you could add a monster that, as usual, sends 1 card from opponent's Deck to GY, AND then, you can add a "Cursed Sea" card from your Deck to your hand with the same type of card as the sent to the GY card. Welp, just some ideas n.n

Thank you. This is exactly the type of help I need. I like making fun archetypes with cool gimmicks and easy to understand effects but struggle with fitting the power level. I especially like the proposed change to Dark Moon and edited it accordingly. I also beefed up Acheron a little but am weary about taking it too far as I saw this as the weakest of 5 Synchros and these aren't a beatdown archetype so I didn't want a 3000 + beefstick boss. (Acheron is named after one of the five rivers of Hades in Greek Mythology. The others are named after the rest)

I'm also holding back on changing Marauder's effect because there are more where he came from so another could be the summoner but I like all your suggested effects and two of them go well with 2 of the card ideas I have. But first, here's a new card to see if it fills the draw engine role you crave:

image.png.dfeddbbe7a05d91d3d1952c66bd2d158.png

Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea - Continuous Spell

All "Cursed Sea" monsters on the field are Zombie type.  The first time your opponent sent cards from their Hand or Deck to the Graveyard by a card effect: draw 1 card. You may only control 1 "Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea".

Does it need something? Here's my take on one of your ideas as well:

image.png.9b7359352072783c333a529186cfcd29.png

Plunder on the Cursed Sea! - Quick Play Spell

If you control a “Cursed Sea” monster: send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to the difference of monsters you control; add “Cursed Sea” cards from your graveyard to the hand equal to the number of cards sent to the Graveyard by this effect. Skip your next Battle Phase. You can only activate 1 "Plunder of the Cursed Sea" per turn.

The searcher will be Cursed Sea Lookout. Based on the drawing card above, should he mill and search automatically or should his searching ability be dependent on being Zombie type like Marauder? Taking the gimmick too far is one of my concerns,

13 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

By day these Pirates sail the Cursed Sea looking to plunder from the Decks of enemy ships.  But at night they show their true selves. New Archetype based on pirates and especially the premise of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Will be posted piecemeal unlike my previous Archetype, the Ionic Spirits, as these guys are less structured and I'm hoping for some feedback to help me know what effects they need.

Dark Moon over the Cursed Sea – Field

image.png.2768282cc91a5cbe00547bb9b3138e8f.png

All monsters face up on the field become Zombie type. Negate any card effect that would move a card in the Graveyard to another place – except “Cursed Sea” cards. During the End Phase of each turn: the turn player must send the top card from their deck to the Graveyard.

(The Cursed Sea itself - nuff said)

Jolly Roger, Revenant of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Tuner * 0/0

image.png.5dceb9f7dc36d8959b385a9b35f55ac8.png

When this card is used in the Synchro summoning of a Zombie monster: send the top 2 cards from your opponent’s deck to the graveyard. When a “Cursed Sea” Synchro monster is sent from the field to the graveyard: Special summon this card from the Graveyard. Each effect of “Jolly Roger, Revenant of the Cursed Sea” may only be activated once per turn.

(VIT - very important tuner)

Cursed Sea Marauder – Water Warrior **** 1700/600

image.png.22791335f502e6490423060f4d060272.png

When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: send the top card of their deck to the Graveyard. If this card’s type is Zombie: change its effect to the following:

·       When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: send the top two cards of their deck to the Graveyard.

(Basic Monster showing how the Type changing gimmick works)

Acheron, Clipper of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ***** 2100/800

image.png.2cc2850d157d4973ff858ca72be9c115.png

When this card destroys a monster in battle: send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to its level.

(lowest level and attack Synchro, but probably with the most destructive milling effect)

Salvaged from the Cursed Sea – Trap

image.png.588d67f51d24520ea316a3b75129ad08.png

Special summon 1 monster from either players’ Graveyard and equip it with this card; it is now Zombie type. When this card is removed from the field: destroy the equipped monster. When the equipped monster is removed from the field: destroy this card. You cannot Special Summon any monsters the turn you activate this card – except for Zombie type monsters.

(Call of the Haunted that gets around The Cursed Sea and can also give your Main Deck Monsters their second effects)

These guys also focus on Hand and Graveyard Shenanigans as well their milling but you haven't really seen that yet.

Time to boost the power:

1. field spell Necrovalley Zombie Zorld archetype exclusion perfect as is.

2. You say Jolly Roger is a very important tuner but isn't a tuner!

3. Cursed sea Maurader has a hard time pulling off its effect maybe while it is treated as a zombie it gains 100ATK for each card in your opponent's GY? Also maybe make the mill 2 and 4 to pack more punch!

4. Synchro is pretty simple the tuner floats maybe give it 1 more effect like "While you control this card your cursed sea monsters are treated as zombies?" or make it unaffected by monster effects while you control a zombie cursed sea monster, lots of options I can think of at least 4 more. Keeping it simple is great but a mid level mill if it beats a leveled monster is not enough in my opinion.

5. Salvage should be an equip spell to make it a little faster maybe or mill 6- half the revived monsters level (rounded down) or mill 1 every turn you control it?

4 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

Thank you. This is exactly the type of help I need. I like making fun archetypes with cool gimmicks and easy to understand effects but struggle with fitting the power level. I especially like the proposed change to Dark Moon and edited it accordingly. I also beefed up Acheron a little but am weary about taking it too far as I saw this as the weakest of 5 Synchros and these aren't a beatdown archetype so I didn't want a 3000 + beefstick boss. (Acheron is named after one of the five rivers of Hades in Greek Mythology. The others are named after the rest)

I'm also holding back on changing Marauder's effect because there are more where he came from so another could be the summoner but I like all your suggested effects and two of them go well with 2 of the card ideas I have. But first, here's a new card to see if it fills the draw engine role you crave:

image.png.4edb9d52c5c5b1810dd47215c1a1589b.png

During the End Phase of each of your turns: if your opponent sent cards from their hand or deck to the Graveyard due to a card effect; draw 1 card. You may only control 1 "Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea."

image.png.f761df816678a4b64219a79431a40777.png

Plunder of the Cursed Sea - Quick Play Spell

Take the difference between the number of monsters you control and the number your opponent controls: if you have more; send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to the difference. You must control at least 1 "Cursed Sea" monster to activate and resolve this effect.

The searcher will be Cursed Sea Lookout. Based on the drawing card above, should he mill and search automatically or should his searching ability be dependent on being Zombie type like Marauder? Taking the gimmick too far is one of my concerns,

1. Hidden treasure should be during each players end phase or the first time on your turn.

2. Cursed sea "If you control a Cursed sea monster send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to the difference of monsters you control" yes this gives it more power and maybe let it search a cursed sea card at the end of the turn.

3. The searcher will be Cursed Sea Lookout. Based on the drawing card above, should he mill and search automatically or should his searching ability be dependent on being Zombie type like Marauder?- Maybe make it search the field spell/cursed sea spell traps while not a zombie and any Cursed sea card when a zombie

10 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Rayfield's ideas also work as well if not better then mine. Now that I'm thinking about it the call of the haunted like trap is probably fine since it can take opponent's monsters and that's enough power creep.

6 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Time to boost the power:

1. field spell Necrovalley Zombie Zorld archetype exclusion perfect as is.

2. You say Jolly Roger is a very important tuner but isn't a tuner!

3. Cursed sea Maurader has a hard time pulling off its effect maybe while it is treated as a zombie it gains 100ATK for each card in your opponent's GY? Also maybe make the mill 2 and 4 to pack more punch!

4. Synchro is pretty simple the tuner floats maybe give it 1 more effect like "While you control this card your cursed sea monsters are treated as zombies?" or make it unaffected by monster effects while you control a zombie cursed sea monster, lots of options I can think of at least 4 more. Keeping it simple is great but a mid level mill if it beats a leveled monster is not enough in my opinion.

5. Salvage should be an equip spell to make it a little faster maybe or mill 6- half the revived monsters level (rounded down) or mill 1 every turn you control it?

1. Hidden treasure should be during each players end phase or the first time on your turn.

2. Cursed sea "If you control a Cursed sea monster send cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard equal to the difference of monsters you control" yes this gives it more power and maybe let it search a cursed sea card at the end of the turn.

3. The searcher will be Cursed Sea Lookout. Based on the drawing card above, should he mill and search automatically or should his searching ability be dependent on being Zombie type like Marauder?- Maybe make it search the field spell/cursed sea spell traps while not a zombie and any Cursed sea card when a zombie

Rayfield's ideas also work as well if not better then mine. Now that I'm thinking about it the call of the haunted like trap is probably fine since it can take opponent's monsters and that's enough power creep.

Thank you for the typo catch - I edited the card to add my name and date and overlooked changing it to a Tuner that time. It is fixed now. I really like your idea that the Synchro Ships turn your monsters into Zombies and am considering the rest of your suggestions. I will edit this post later today with new cards. See you then.

13 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

image.png.4edb9d52c5c5b1810dd47215c1a1589b.png

During the End Phase of each of your turns: if your opponent sent cards from their hand or deck to the Graveyard due to a card effect; draw 1 card. You may only control 1 "Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea."

image.png.f761df816678a4b64219a79431a40777.png

Plunder of the Cursed Sea - Quick Play Spell

Firstly, I'm glad that my feedback was of help earlier. I believe the adjustments you made are on the right path n.n

About the new cards:

These are fine additions, but require adjustments.

Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea

Once per turn, during your End Phase, if your opponent sent a card to their GY due to a card effect this turn: Draw 1 card. You can only control 1 "Hidden Treasure of the Cursed Sea".

Certain effects that happen during the Standby Phase and End Phase , such as this one, should also have a Once per turn clause. If you read the original careful, it tells you to do so during your End Phase if the opponent sent card to the GY, but how many times?

Plunder of the Cursed Sea

Activate only if you control more monsters than your opponent and only if you control at least 1 "Cursea Sea" monster. Your opponent sends a card(s) from the top of their Deck to the GY equal to the difference between the number of monsters each player controls. 

It's pretty good that this one is a Quick Spell, you could very well catch your foe when the difference is 3+ for a good amount of Deck damage. Now that I think about it, the strategy is fine, but frail. Dark Moon is the only card in the Deck that prevents your foe from starting to move their GY cards, so you could add somewhere around an effect which protects your stuff. The effect could be along the lines of:

"The first time each "Cursed Sea" Spell you control would be destroyed by your opponent's card effects each turn, it is not destroyed"

I have a feeling you could add this to another Synchro as one of two or three effects. It will protect Dark Moon, Hidden Treasure and perhaps some other Spell you make in the future. It's even flavourful, as Pirates tend to be protective to their treasures and hide them well.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Firstly, I'm glad that my feedback was of help earlier. I believe the adjustments you made are on the right path n.n

About the new cards:

These are fine additions, but require adjustments.

Certain effects that happen during the Standby Phase and End Phase , such as this one, should also have a Once per turn clause. If you read the original careful, it tells you to do so during your End Phase if the opponent sent card to the GY, but how many times?

It's pretty good that this one is a Quick Spell, you could very well catch your foe when the difference is 3+ for a good amount of Deck damage. Now that I think about it, the strategy is fine, but frail. Dark Moon is the only card in the Deck that prevents your foe from starting to move their GY cards, so you could add somewhere around an effect which protects your stuff. The effect could be along the lines of:

"The first time each "Cursed Sea" Spell you control would be destroyed by your opponent's card effects each turn, it is not destroyed"

I have a feeling you could add this to another Synchro as one of two or three effects. It will protect Dark Moon, Hidden Treasure and perhaps some other Spell you make in the future. It's even flavourful, as Pirates tend to be protective to their treasures and hide them well.

That protection idea works great with one of my Synchro concepts. 

Change log:

Zombie type Marauder increases ATK by 100 for every card in opponent's Graveyard and sends 3 cards to grave upon damage instead of 2. He's supposed to be the muscly crewmember of the main deck so this is very appropriate.

Acheron makes all monsters on your side of the field Zombie type. This will be a series ability for all Cursed Sea ships. Part of the ship, Part of the crew!

Hidden Treasure makes all "Cursed Sea" monsters Zombie type. This will be the last non Synchro with this effect. I also took @ITSUKOSOADO's suggestion and made it activate the first time a card is sent instead of at the End Phase. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't stack to the number of cards sent and thought the End phase was the best way. Thanks for the idea!

Plunder adds "Cursed Sea" cards from the Graveyard to the hand equal to the number of cards sent to your opponent's Graveyard. Part of the Archetype should be not just milling your opponent's deck but looting it for some kind of advantage. Also changed name; these "on the Cursed Sea!" quick effects will be a series of cards based on actions pirates make.

Edit: 5 New Cards

image.png.7162ee22e500824cbe0c0a08653202e0.png

If you control 1 “Cursed Sea” monster; you can special summon this card from your hand. If it is a Zombie type; you can special summon this card from your Graveyard instead. You can only activate 1 “Cursed Sea Parrot” effect a turn and each effect can only be activated once per turn.

(Every group of pirates needs a parrot. I debated making it a Tuner, but decided it should be low level fodder to be special summoned to boost the Synchro Level)

image.png.ae1d4627a556c6be6ea29eda9888813d.png

When this card destroys an opponent’s monster in battle: send the top card of their deck to the Graveyard; then if this card is Zombie type; special summon 1 “Cursed Sea” monster with equal or less ATK as the destroyed monster from your hand or deck.

Cursed Sea Lookout – Water Warrior *** 1200/400

image.png.114ee19f7d9dae359b2c753f6a453bc3.png

Once per turn: you can discard 1 card; send the top card from your opponent’s deck to the Graveyard. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; add 1 “Cursed Sea” card of the same type (Monster, Spell, Trap) as the card sent to the Graveyard by this card’s effect to your hand.

image.png.2bf6d95ecd9977c79f7b9f88aba9c9db.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. During damage calculation in a battle involving this card: excavate the top 5 cards from your opponent’s deck; send any monsters revealed by this effect to the Graveyard and return the other cards to the top of the deck in any order. This card gains ATK equal to the number of cards sent to the Graveyard by this effect X 300 for damage calculation only.

(Situational Beatstick. That's all there really is to say about him. There's an error on the card, but the written effect is right. I'll fix it later.)

image.png.c0efb0e3e27b9d71ba1e13786e9f2392.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When this card is Synchro summoned: special summon 1 monster with 1000 or less DEF from your Graveyard; you may not special summon other monsters this turn except Water monsters.

(I found another river of Hades so I made the Synchro Tuner for Jolly Roger shenanigans. He's basically a rescue boat so I gave him an effect to rescue monsters from the grave then you can immediately turn him into a more impressive ship. Too generic?)

• MickeyDee changed the title to Dead Men Tell No Tales - New Archetype [12/??]
4 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

That protection idea works great with one of my Synchro concepts. 

Change log:

Zombie type Marauder increases ATK by 100 for every card in opponent's Graveyard and sends 3 cards to grave upon damage instead of 2. He's supposed to be the muscly crewmember of the main deck so this is very appropriate.

Acheron makes all monsters on your side of the field Zombie type. This will be a series ability for all Cursed Sea ships. Part of the ship, Part of the crew!

Hidden Treasure makes all "Cursed Sea" monsters Zombie type. This will be the last non Synchro with this effect. I also took @ITSUKOSOADO's suggestion and made it activate the first time a card is sent instead of at the End Phase. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't stack to the number of cards sent and thought the End phase was the best way. Thanks for the idea!

Plunder adds "Cursed Sea" cards from the Graveyard to the hand equal to the number of cards sent to your opponent's Graveyard. Part of the Archetype should be not just milling your opponent's deck but looting it for some kind of advantage. Also changed name; these "on the Cursed Sea!" quick effects will be a series of cards based on actions pirates make.

Edit: 5 New Cards

image.png.7162ee22e500824cbe0c0a08653202e0.png

(Every group of pirates needs a parrot. I debated making it a Tuner, but decided it should be low level fodder to be special summoned to boost the Synchro Level)

image.png.32dd765e3aec52a8e56e2e4c91c196b0.png

When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: send the top card of their deck to the Graveyard; then if that card was a Monster type; special summon 1 “Cursed Sea” monster with equal or less ATK from your hand or deck.

(The summoner. No Zombie gimmick because his effect is chancy enough as it is.)

Cursed Sea Lookout – Water Warrior *** 1200/400

image.png.0645d696d06d8fe27fdd181f745eec70.png

You can discard this card: add 1 “Cursed Sea” spell or trap from your deck to your hand. Once per turn: you can discard 1 card; send the top card from your opponent’s deck to the Graveyard. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; add 1 “Cursed Sea” card of the same type (Monster, Spell, Trap) as the card sent to the Graveyard by this card’s effect to your hand.

(That searcher I mentioned. I decided to give him a basic discard to add effect like most Field Searchers then added the effect discussed where he can add cards based on what type of cards are milled once on the field.)

image.png.2f1dd6ff8dbe7b9d63e25261600ca36a.png

(Situational Beatstick. That's all there really is to say about him. There's an error on the card, but the written effect is right. I'll fix it later.)

image.png.c987570a74d145e48a2bcf574bf0b6b2.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When this card is Synchro summoned: special summon 1 monster with 1000 or less DEF from your Graveyard; you may not special summon other monsters this turn except Zombie type monsters.

(I found another river of Hades so I made the Synchro Tuner for Jolly Roger shenanigans. He's basically a rescue boat so I gave him an effect to rescue monsters from the grave then you can immediately turn him into a more impressive ship. Too generic?)

I dunno how I forgot to mention this, but here's a reminder: It's been some years since Konami started using GY instead of Graveyard. It'd be a hassle for you to swap each Graveyard with GY at this point, but keep it in mind for future creations.

The Parrot is king, man, I loved that you included one in the archetype lol.

Curset Sea Parrot

If you control a non-Zombie "Cursed Sea"  monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you control a Zombie "Cursea Sea" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your GY). You can only use 1 "Cursed Sea Parrot" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Buccaneer and Sea Lookout: I liked 'em both 👍 . Specially Lookout because it contains one of my suggestions lol.

Phlegethon: A lil' uncommon to see an excavating effect during damage calculation. I'll be honest: battle phase/battle step/damage step/damage calculation is not my forte, so I'm unsure if this can be done, so eh, let's go with it xD.

Eridanus: Alrighty, I guess. The Special Summon is generic, and that's always pretty potent. The materials required are also generic, so you could say part of this card's power is that it could see some presence in other Zombie decks. It's truly a pity that its restricted to Zombies, tho, because it could see more play in other places For instance, Atlanteans. Diva + Neptabyss = Eridanus, which would revive most Atlanteans. And talking about Atlanteas (which reminded me of Tatsunoko), Tatsunecro could help this deck with some nice plays.

Dark Moon: deceptively strong. its basically zombie world and Necrovalley have a baby and the mill is a quite cruel icing on the top. as the game goes you will racking up enough mill cards to make the gy lock ever more scary. im glad that overall power level of the monster is pretty low to further highlight the mill strategy instead jack of all with damage

Jolly Roger: nice mill and nice float effect balanced by HOPT

Marauder: while not exactly invincible, the milling aspect of the deck can pump up the atk quite easy so you need to mind that especially since it feed itself subsequently. type changing gimmick is interesting

Lookout: search the field and then become searcher itself. a bit random but for the most part its still pure value 

Buccaneer: compare to what i see so far this is probably the weakest card, its don't have type gimmick, battle dependent but lack of effect that promote battle winning effect like Marauder does and the effect even more randomize than lookout

Parrot: good ever-floating extender. not much to say

Acheron: you say that 2400 is small but on the contrary is pretty strong actually a simple buff can break threshold to 2700 easy. mill effect is decent but the most important thing is its gimmick enabling

Phlegethon: more reliable milling effect with extra attack boost that also distrupt opponent strategy since its you that arrange their deck. pretty decent in the archetype context

Eridanus: pretty much enable synchro climbing by itself, its good

Salvage: CotH but able to target either graveyard while making them zombie. decent

Hidden: nice draw spell and for the most part is pretty balance

Plunder: now this is powerful to the point it kinda worrying. it can mill huge number of card depending on board state but it goes beyond by lack of HOPT. 

On 6/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

I dunno how I forgot to mention this, but here's a reminder: It's been some years since Konami started using GY instead of Graveyard. It'd be a hassle for you to swap each Graveyard with GY at this point, but keep it in mind for future creations.

The Parrot is king, man, I loved that you included one in the archetype lol.

Buccaneer and Sea Lookout: I liked 'em both 👍 . Specially Lookout because it contains one of my suggestions lol.

Phlegethon: A lil' uncommon to see an excavating effect during damage calculation. I'll be honest: battle phase/battle step/damage step/damage calculation is not my forte, so I'm unsure if this can be done, so eh, let's go with it xD.

Eridanus: Alrighty, I guess. The Special Summon is generic, and that's always pretty potent. The materials required are also generic, so you could say part of this card's power is that it could see some presence in other Zombie decks. It's truly a pity that its restricted to Zombies, tho, because it could see more play in other places For instance, Atlanteans. Diva + Neptabyss = Eridanus, which would revive most Atlanteans. And talking about Atlanteas (which reminded me of Tatsunoko), Tatsunecro could help this deck with some nice plays.

Thanks for the reminder. I thought Eridanus being Generic would be an alright trade off for his weakeness because he's mainly there so Jolly Roger can spring back up. Jolly Roger + (already on field) Parrot = Eridanus + (Special summoned from GY) Parrot = Acheron + (Special summoned from GY) Jolly Roger = Phlegethon and your oponent sent 4 cards to the GY in one turn. I changed him to Water type because I didn't know who needed it but I knew I wanted some limitation there (don't like purely generic Extra Deck cards, they should limit what you put in your deck somehow).

On 6/30/2021 at 4:12 PM, Underdark6706 said:

Seems pretty good zombie world would do wonders for this archetype but other then that just some minor things good job tho :D

Zombie World was absolutely the inspiration to these guys.  Well, that and PotC of course.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, Dokutah Jolly said:

Dark Moon: deceptively strong. its basically zombie world and Necrovalley have a baby and the mill is a quite cruel icing on the top. as the game goes you will racking up enough mill cards to make the gy lock ever more scary. im glad that overall power level of the monster is pretty low to further highlight the mill strategy instead jack of all with damage

Jolly Roger: nice mill and nice float effect balanced by HOPT

Marauder: while not exactly invincible, the milling aspect of the deck can pump up the atk quite easy so you need to mind that especially since it feed itself subsequently. type changing gimmick is interesting

Lookout: search the field and then become searcher itself. a bit random but for the most part its still pure value 

Buccaneer: compare to what i see so far this is probably the weakest card, its don't have type gimmick, battle dependent but lack of effect that promote battle winning effect like Marauder does and the effect even more randomize than lookout

Parrot: good ever-floating extender. not much to say

Acheron: you say that 2400 is small but on the contrary is pretty strong actually a simple buff can break threshold to 2700 easy. mill effect is decent but the most important thing is its gimmick enabling

Phlegethon: more reliable milling effect with extra attack boost that also distrupt opponent strategy since its you that arrange their deck. pretty decent in the archetype context

Eridanus: pretty much enable synchro climbing by itself, its good

Salvage: CotH but able to target either graveyard while making them zombie. decent

Hidden: nice draw spell and for the most part is pretty balance

Plunder: now this is powerful to the point it kinda worrying. it can mill huge number of card depending on board state but it goes beyond by lack of HOPT. 

Thank you for the review. I agree with you on several points and errata shows it. For the record, I originally had Acheron at 2100 ATK and that was the low stat. 2400 is very respectable in my book. Plunder now has a HOPT effect and skips your next Battle Phase. (Because most monster mill effects activate there and this is effectively your pirate's battling then carrying back the booty anyways).

Changelog:

Phlegeston now has his Synchro summoning requirements on the card.

Eridanus moved from Zombie to Water Support.

Zombie Marauder's ATK increases for each card sent instead of each card in opponent's GY. only mills 2 cards.

Lookout no longer has hand effect.

Buccaneer now more in line with Archetype: if Zombie, special summon 1 "Cursed Sea" monster with less ATK than destroyed monster.

Plunder limited in ways described above.

-----------------------------------------------

The cards in the first post are now considered fit for print. Thank you everyone for your contributions; I couldn't have these cards as nice without you but there will be no more changes to them. The new cards are of course open to discussion which I look forward to. I will probably update the master post Saturday. After this post, the next one will be the Archetype's final bosses but I do have more ideas for card concepts (Corsair, Bilgerat, Marooned, etc...) without card effects so with the main strategy firmly established, feel free to suggest any card types this Archetype needs for consistency's sake. That second post from now will probably be my final update of these guys then I'll move on to new ideas.

New Cards:

image.png.7f553380da67d8c119df40b112c3aba7.png

A Synchro summoning using this card may use Zombie monsters on either side of the field as the other materials. Once per turn; if a "Cursed Sea" Synchro monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect: banish this card from your side of the field or GY instead.

(Kind of gimmicky card that I nonetheless like. With Dark Moon or Zombie World, he synchros with enemy monsters and as the Shipwright, he can repair the Cursed Sea Synchros when they would otherwise be destroyed.)

image.png.d21504101c0f4dc4eb292682ed6e9ffd.png

Once per turn: you can send this face up card to the GY; shuffle 1 monster your opponent controls into their deck. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; send the top 2 cards from their deck to the Graveyard.

(I managed not to have any cards that removes cards from the field up to now; now they have this guy to blow down tough customers)

image.png.ace407d2053038842353b02fee35d78f.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. When a card is sent from your opponent’s hand or deck to the GY: lower the ATK of all monsters your opponent controls by 100 for each card sent to the GY. If a “Cursed Sea” monster attacks; your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step.

(makes sure Cursed Sea monsters get to attack so Marauder, Buccaneer, and Acheron can activate their effects, not sure about WATER necessity, but I thought he needed some extra summoning condition and I don't know what people will really play these guys with.)

Lethe, Galleon of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ******** 2200/600

image.png.64ca3285f8f18d6e955aa7b3da5fbf5e.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. Once per turn, when a "Cursed Sea" Spell or Trap would be destroyed; negate that effect. Place 1 "Cannonball Counter" on this card each time a card is sent from your opponent's deck to the GY by card effect. Remove 3 "Cannonball Counter"s from this card; destroy 1 Spell or Trap card from the field.

(Castle ship offers the protection effect; that's what I mentioned earlier. Would probably be OK with one more effect, but no idea what. )

image.png.da60b3cdb6484751e4258c9ddecf4a64.png

When your opponent’s card effect would remove 1 or more “Cursed Sea” cards from the field: negate the activation and destroy it; then send the top card from your deck to the GY.

(Way to protect Treasure and Dark Moon, as well as Salvaged as well)

image.png.f399a32a02ca5f30071fe4c24e32a9e4.png

When a monster is sent from your opponent’s deck to the GY: special summon it to your side of the field. It cannot attack and its effect is negated. It is now Zombie type.

(Just flavorful and fun, with a chance of nabbing the card your opponent sent to the grave hoping to use it themselves if Dark Moon isn't up yet).

21 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

Thanks for the reminder. I thought Eridanus being Generic would be an alright trade off for his weakeness because he's mainly there so Jolly Roger can spring back up. Jolly Roger + (already on field) Parrot = Eridanus + (Special summoned from GY) Parrot = Acheron + (Special summoned from GY) Jolly Roger = Phlegethon and your oponent sent 4 cards to the GY in one turn. I changed him to Water type because I didn't know who needed it but I knew I wanted some limitation there (don't like purely generic Extra Deck cards, they should limit what you put in your deck somehow).

Zombie World was absolutely the inspiration to these guys.  Well, that and PotC of course.

Thank you for the review. I agree with you on several points and errata shows it. For the record, I originally had Acheron at 2100 ATK and that was the low stat. 2400 is very respectable in my book. Plunder now has a HOPT effect and skips your next Battle Phase. (Because most monster mill effects activate there and this is effectively your pirate's battling then carrying back the booty anyways).

Changelog:

Phlegeston now has his Synchro summoning requirements on the card.

Eridanus moved from Zombie to Water Support.

Zombie Marauder's ATK increases for each card sent instead of each card in opponent's GY. only mills 2 cards.

Lookout no longer has hand effect.

Buccaneer now more in line with Archetype: if Zombie, special summon 1 "Cursed Sea" monster with less ATK than destroyed monster.

Plunder limited in ways described above.

-----------------------------------------------

The cards in the first post are now considered fit for print. Thank you everyone for your contributions; I couldn't have these cards as nice without you but there will be no more changes to them. The new cards are of course open to discussion which I look forward to. I will probably update the master post Saturday. After this post, the next one will be the Archetype's final bosses but I do have more ideas for card concepts (Corsair, Bilgerat, Marooned, etc...) without card effects so with the main strategy firmly established, feel free to suggest any card types this Archetype needs for consistency's sake. That second post from now will probably be my final update of these guys then I'll move on to new ideas.

New Cards:

image.png.7f553380da67d8c119df40b112c3aba7.png

A Synchro summoning using this card may use Zombie monsters on either side of the field as the other materials. Once per turn; if a "Cursed Sea" Synchro monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect: banish this card from your side of the field or GY instead.

(Kind of gimmicky card that I nonetheless like. With Dark Moon or Zombie World, he synchros with enemy monsters and as the Shipwright, he can repair the Cursed Sea Synchros when they would otherwise be destroyed.)

image.png.760351f9fb4875973f7310404aff30b8.png

Once per turn: you can send this face up card to the GY; place 1 monster your opponent controls on either the top or bottom of their deck. Then, if this card’s type is Zombie; send the top 2 cards from their deck to the Graveyard.

(I managed not to have any cards that removes cards from the field up to now; now they have this guy to blow down tough customers)

image.png.ace407d2053038842353b02fee35d78f.png

(makes sure Cursed Sea monsters get to attack so Marauder, Buccaneer, and Acheron can activate their effects, not sure about WATER necessity, but I thought he needed some extra summoning condition and I don't know what people will really play these guys with.)

Lethe, Galleon of the Cursed Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ******** 2200/600

image.png.2f77c8aeafc1a72691394d74388a0190.png

All monsters you control become Zombie type. Once per turn, when a "Cursed Sea" Spell or Trap would be destroyed; negate that effect.

(Castle ship offers the protection effect; that's what I mentioned earlier. Would probably be OK with one more effect, but no idea what. )

image.png.90969c8db2b522b2b1bc1cc0c56a1347.png

When your opponent’s card effect would remove 1 or more “Cursed Sea” Spells/Trap cards from the field: negate the activation and destroy it. Both players send the top card from their deck to the GY.

(Way to protect Treasure and Dark Moon, as well as Salvaged as well)

image.png.f399a32a02ca5f30071fe4c24e32a9e4.png

(Just flavorful and fun, with a chance of nabbing the card your opponent sent to the grave hoping to use it themselves if Dark Moon isn't up yet).

🟣 Shipwright - Scary as heck. Combined with Dark Moon or the effect of some of the Synchros, the effect will be relatively easy to pull of. Icing on the cake is the protection effect, I like those.

🟣 Sea Gunner - Uh-Oh! A spin effect. I'm worried about this one. I learned from a friend that from field to top of opponent's Deck effects (aka Spin) are one of the strongest effects in the game and need to be treated with care. Funnily enough, you DON'T want to send the returned car in many cases, specially if it's something that causes you no harm when summoned. It's taking 1 draw phase for your opponent, and that sometimes is lethal. I'm not saying the effect should be removed, I'm just concerned about it.

🟣 Kokytos - A stronger Armades with an additional effect. Combined with ATK increasing effects like Phlegethon or Marauder should give you a good chance of taking down mobs by force.

🟣 Lethe - Nice protection. Then... mmm....

Each time your opponent sends a card from the top of their Deck to the GY by a card effect: Place 1 Cannon Counter on this card. You can remove 3 Cannon Counters on this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap your opponent controls; banish it.

Backrow control. I think the deck is lacking in it, overall.

🟣 Mutiny - Alrighty, more protection xD. Heck, as this is one time use opposed to Lethe's effect, I'd include monsters as well.

When your opponent activates a card effect that would make a "Cursed Sea" card(s) you control leave the field; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

A bit unorthodox wording as normally that kind of effects protect from destruction, so let's go with that for the time being lol.

🟣 Shanghai'd - Ohoho, I like it. It's generic. If your opponent uses Foolish Burial, bam, their monster to your side of the field. I'm unsure, but this card could see some play in general, not just for this Deck. It's true that it arrives effect-less and unable to attack, but snatching it to use as material could be interesting.

• MickeyDee changed the title to Dead Men Tell No Tales - New Archetype [20/20]

Changelog:

Gunner shuffles instead of places on top; forgot about how it would interrupt draw phase.

Lethe has the effect @Rayfield Lumina suggested.

Mutiny protects all "Cursed Sea" cards instead of just spell/traps. Also only sends top card of your deck to GY.

----------------------------------------

Here's the boss monster and 1 more support card that is technically generic:

Styx, Flagship of the Curse Sea – Water Zombie Synchro ******** 2800/1200

image.png.f99188baa1c9d0e81c7938dfec5821ad.png

1 "Cursed Sea" Tuner + 1 or more Zombie type (non-Tuner) monsters

All monsters you control become Zombie type. While your opponent has more than 8 cards in the GY: this card can't be targeted by card effects. When this card is sent from the field to the GY by battle or opponent's card effects: you can banish 2 cards from either player's GY; special summon this card.

Marooned on the Cursed Sea!

image.png.8702ba60ff8d99f56a2095b5388919fa.png

Both players send 1 monster from their decks to their respective GY then draw 1 card.

And with that, I'm calling the set complete. There are 7 more main deck crewmembers I have concepts for and a Captain Link monster but I'm sticking a pin on them so I can work on other things. Thank you everybody for your help making these cards the best they can be and see you next time.

Archived