Writing challenge

Horu

Write a character but make no mention of their appearance. Essentially, write personality traits, hobbies, etc.

I wanna see how people imagine the character to look based on these details alone. So effectively, everyone else will piece together your character's appearance.

This should be quite interesting.

On 2/17/2022 at 2:20 AM, Horu said:

This should be quite intetesting.

Digging this game. IDK if this thread should better be placed at the Game Section, tho, as this is more of a leisure activity than anything, and it would seem this section is more dedicate to actual writing exercises. Welp, I want to give this a go and later if required we ask for Nyx's help to reallocate.

So, I assume the rules would be as follow: Write down the traits of the character described by the person above, then write a character of your own?

I'll type a provisional template of traits to fill for the next person

Race: ???
Height: ???
Weight: ???
Hair Color/Type: ???
Eye Color/Shape: ???
Skin Color: ???
Facial Traits: ???
Body Complexion: ???
Clothes: ???

Alverith, the Story Teller

Alverith is a mage and a vagrant, known even in the most remote town of the W continent. Of delicious voice and sweet demeanor, he's easily befriended, though if you ever asked someone if Alverith was a friend you could trust, they'll usually doubt for a second before saying yes, a kind of hypocrite yes as that pause comes from the subconscious knowledge that there's something... unsettling about his persona. This man would seem to be alike Fire. You'll be charmed by it's crackling dance, and wish to come closer for the warmth, but you'd never touch its core, because somehow you know you'll be burned.
While his main occupation is that of an itinerant storyteller and sometimes a singer, Alverith is known to be a fairly powerful mage, so when a problem hard to deal by simple villagers arise, they hire the vagrant to take care of it. And where do Alverith uses his income, beyond inn fees and self sustenance? Alcohol and women. He's the happy-type alcoholic, and his tongue becomes rather loose during those times, though he never crosses a certain line when speaking about himself, specially about his past. People know better to ask him too insistently, because when you do, a dangerous flash of anger appears in his eyes. Then it passes, and it's the same sweet guy of always... but you don't forget that anger. What are those shadows that haunt this man's past? Impossible to tell... for now.

Yeah. This is just intended to be a fun exercise to engage the imagination and improve writing skills. The idea came to me cause there are journals and sketch books that have writing/drawing prompts on them that essentially tell you what to write/draw.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 6:00 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Digging this game. IDK if this thread should better be placed at the Game Section, tho, as this is more of a leisure activity than anything, and it would seem this section is more dedicate to actual writing exercises. Welp, I want to give this a go and later if required we ask for Nyx's help to reallocate.

So, I assume the rules would be as follow: Write down the traits of the character described by the person above, then write a character of your own?

I'll type a provisional template of traits to fill for the next person

Race: Human/Elf
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 137 lbs
Hair Color/Type: long white hair that is tied/braided at the ends
Eye Color/Shape: Gold
Skin Color: pale
Facial Traits: high cheek bones and pointed ears
Body Complexion: pale
Clothes: A traditional magician's robe and hooded cloak, carries a staff/walking stick and may have a dagger or two up his sleeve (he is a magician afterall)

Alverith, the Story Teller

Alverith is a mage and a vagrant, known even in the most remote town of the W continent. Of delicious voice and sweet demeanor, he's easily befriended, though if you ever asked someone if Alverith was a friend you could trust, they'll usually doubt for a second before saying yes, a kind of hypocrite yes as that pause comes from the subconscious knowledge that there's something... unsettling about his persona. This man would seem to be alike Fire. You'll be charmed by it's crackling dance, and wish to come closer for the warmth, but you'd never touch its core, because somehow you know you'll be burned.
While his main occupation is that of an itinerant storyteller and sometimes a singer, Alverith is known to be a fairly powerful mage, so when a problem hard to deal by simple villagers arise, they hire the vagrant to take care of it. And where do Alverith uses his income, beyond inn fees and self sustenance? Alcohol and women. He's the happy-type alcoholic, and his tongue becomes rather loose during those times, though he never crosses a certain line when speaking about himself, specially about his past. People know better to ask him too insistently, because when you do, a dangerous flash of anger appears in his eyes. Then it passes, and it's the same sweet guy of always... but you don't forget that anger. What are those shadows that haunt this man's past? Impossible to tell... for now.

Let's see if I can fill in a few of these gaps.

Archived