Retired player returning to the scene

Jacob Slottet

Yeah, I’ve been here since 2008 but every time I come back it just feels new.

I played from 2002 to 2015. After a while, the game just got more expensive and too complicated for me to keep up with. Like anyone, I loved playing for fun, but usually with unlimited rules. Coming back and seeing all the cards I created here reminds me of how much fun I had with this site and Yu-Gi-Oh overall.

Just out of curiosity, how much do y’all think the game has changed since 2015?

On 6/15/2022 at 4:53 AM, Jacob Slottet said:

Just out of curiosity, how much do y’all think the game has changed since 2015?

The game has drastically changed with rules and costs. There are some truly some absurd ways to play the game. I think more so than any extra-deck monster, the biggest change to yu-gi-oh was the addition of hand traps: cards that could be activated from your hand before your first turn. It's what made possible end boards of 8 negates if you don't have hand traps to disrupt allowed. Rush dules and Goat format are a couple of rule sets that exist just for old time players. I think even modern yu-gi-oh can still be played in a fun way.

The last time I remember playing, Pendulums were a rising thing… and those seemed OP to me.

if DuelingNetwork never went down, I’d likely still be playing and would at least have some understanding of these new formats.

Just watching my friends play, I feel like my tactics would be outdated and obsolete.

Archived