Question on wording

Redvahan

Question

So i had a question on wording for a custom card, if i have a level 4 monster with "You can take damage equal to this monsters DEF: This card gains 500 ATK until the End Phase." and a Field Spell with "Damage you take from face-up level 4 or lower monsters you control becomes 0" does it work, or do i have to word it differently? also i dont post much so if this is the wrong spot could you tell me where to ask and also i am sorry.

1 answer to this question

9 hours ago, Redvahan said:

So i had a question on wording for a custom card, if i have a level 4 monster with "You can take damage equal to this monsters DEF: This card gains 500 ATK until the End Phase." and a Field Spell with "Damage you take from face-up level 4 or lower monsters you control becomes 0" does it work, or do i have to word it differently?

As far as I know, you MUST fulfill costs correctly or no deal. The second effect is supposed to neutralize the damage you're taking from the first, ok. The first part of the first effect, the section that goes before the colon, is a cost, and if you're not paying the cost in it's full extension, the resolution won't apply. This is what I believe, at least xD. There's an easy way to fix this, though it won't be the exact same.

Each time you take damage involving face-up Level 4 or lower monsters you control: Gain that much LP.

This way, instead of neutralizing the damage effect from root, you end up recovering it, but the damage goes through and makes the first effect possible. The bad news is that stuff like Bad Reaction to Simochi will screw you now lol, but that's a minor issue.

I'm a bit doubtful because what can be considered Effect Damage usually, if not always, comes as part of the card's resolution. (e.g. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 monster; inflict damage to your opponent equal to its original ATK). Working on the assumption that it is indeed Effect Damage, it can trigger a different set of effects. Of course, taking effect damage  could be used in a funny combinations. For instance, if your monster's DEF is high, it could be used in pair with Speedburst Dragon, which auto-summons from hand at Effect Damage taking and inflicts the same quantity to the opponent and ends up healing half of that LP to yourself make your monster 4000 DEF. A similar case is Eco, the Mystical Spirit of the Forest. And so on... however, note that there is not a single official card which uses your exact formula "You can take damage... so ultimately I might be missing a rule that prevents this wording, OR, what I believe, it is correct but enters a bit into experimental territory. And I think I might have confused you further lol. But interesting, it is.

9 hours ago, Redvahan said:

also i dont post much so if this is the wrong spot could you tell me where to ask and also i am sorry.

I don't see much problem in asking something in the Questions & Help section, though if we go strict, the best place to post this kind of doubt is the Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions. It's no big deal that you posted here imo, tho, but try to use that one next time.

https://www.cardmaker.net/forums/topic/352791-yu-gi-oh-rulings-questions/page/646/#comments

Archived