Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

@Dokutah Jolly Tokens are considered a "Special Summon" monster, i.e. A monster that cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, Abbie said:

There is a Ruling question I am confused about in regards to cards that force attacks, like Hypnosister or Evil HERO Malicious Fiend. So, what I'm trying to figure out is what happens if you control multiple of them, I thought it might create a lock where you can't attack either, but then I looked at these rulings, and now I'm even more confused at how this whole thing works, because it seems like they are forced to attack Malicious Fiend, even though there's another card that forces attacks, so not sure why that would happen.

If you want to answer anything, the most important thing to me is what happens if I control two Hypnosisters basically.

If you control both "Evil HERO Malicious Fiend" and an "Evil HERO Lightning Golem" equipped with "Ring of Magnetism", and their effects are being applied, all monsters your opponent controls are changed to Attack Position, and they must atack. Since the effect of "Ring of Magnetism" is being applied, all monsters your opponent controls must attack "Evil HERO Lightning Golem" equipped with "Ring of Magnetism".[3]

If you control both "Evil HERO Malicious Fiend" and "Belial - Marquis of Darkness", and their effects are being applied, all monsters your opponent controls are changed to Attack Position, and they must atack "Evil HERO Malicious Fiend"

Oh, that's a good question. It's kinda hard to justify the Malicious/Ring of Magnetism ruling since RoM hasn't had a PSCT update, but I think I understand the Malicious/Belial interaction.

Presumably, it goes something like this: the battle phase starts and Malicious' effect kicks in. Because of the overlap in continuous effects, the last one that "resolves" stays active (kinda like double DNA Surgery). Because Malicious "reactivates" at the start of your opponent's BP, it probably keeps overwriting Belial.

Presumably, if this is how it works, then stuff like double Hypnosister would allow the opponent to attack the last one Summoned? Maybe?? I dunno. Did you ever get to try it out?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tiny super noob question: Do drawn cards count as "added to hand"? To elaborate, here's the first part of the effect for which I'm asking this:

Each time your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand (except by their Normal Draw): Place a number of counters of this card equal to the number of cards they added.

My intention is to cover draws as well. So if your opponent uses Terraforming, 1 counter, if they use Moray of Greed, 3 counters. I suppose another way to word this would be      ...to their hand by their card effect       and omit the parenthesis part.

So, essentially the question is now double:

draw = add?

and which wording would be better better (if draw = add applies)?

8 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Tiny super noob question: Do drawn cards count as "added to hand"? To elaborate, here's the first part of the effect for which I'm asking this:

Each time your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand (except by their Normal Draw): Place a number of counters of this card equal to the number of cards they added.

My intention is to cover draws as well. So if your opponent uses Terraforming, 1 counter, if they use Moray of Greed, 3 counters. I suppose another way to word this would be      ...to their hand by their card effect       and omit the parenthesis part.

So, essentially the question is now double:

draw = add?

and which wording would be better better (if draw = add applies)?

Yup, draw = add to hand.

If you want to exclude the normal draw, either wording should cover it. I don't believe there's any mechanical difference between excluding the normal draw specifically or putting "by their card effect".

2 hours ago, Lazarus IV said:

Yup, draw = add to hand.

If you want to exclude the normal draw, either wording should cover it. I don't believe there's any mechanical difference between excluding the normal draw specifically or putting "by their card effect".

Thanks for the info!

About the wording, something occurred to me suddenly: while I like the first version more simply because of how it sounds, I think I'll use the latter, the one that uses "by their card effect". That way I prevent abuse should one use Card Destruction or similar effects, or a devoted strategy to let the opponent draw a lot of cards. Alright, I'll get to make that card now, thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yo, quick question here, if ya dont mind

Given that Verte Anaconda copies the effect of a card, but does not play the card itself, if i were to play a HOPT Fusion Spell, could i then, during that same turn, use Verte Anaconda to copy the effect of that same Fusion Spell? (By just milling an extra copy of the card or something)

Wasnt really so sure on how copy effects interacted with HOPTs (Given that the card performing the effect has a different name 'n all of that), and i havent really played nearly enough with modern day staples to really be familiar with their rulings (Not so long ago, i tried to activate Imperm from hand on a full board. Then my dumb ass brain tried to do so again on that same duel after i immediatly forgot how the card worked. YuGiOh players and reading, amirite?)

On 11/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sleepy said:

Can "The Dark - Hex Sealed Fusion" be used with another DARK monster to Special Summon "Borreload Furious Dragon" from the Extra Deck?

The Dark's "Fusion substitute" effect only works for named materials. It wouldn't be able to be used as Material for Furious Dragon (neither via a Fusion spell nor by its own effect).

3 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

Yo, quick question here, if ya dont mind

Given that Verte Anaconda copies the effect of a card, but does not play the card itself, if i were to play a HOPT Fusion Spell, could i then, during that same turn, use Verte Anaconda to copy the effect of that same Fusion Spell? (By just milling an extra copy of the card or something)

Wasnt really so sure on how copy effects interacted with HOPTs (Given that the card performing the effect has a different name 'n all of that), and i havent really played nearly enough with modern day staples to really be familiar with their rulings (Not so long ago, i tried to activate Imperm from hand on a full board. Then my dumb ass brain tried to do so again on that same duel after i immediatly forgot how the card worked. YuGiOh players and reading, amirite?)

I ran a quick test of this on edopro. It does seem to let Verte bypass the HOPT restrictions on the card. I dunno if there's a more direct ruling on this though.

I have to say, testing this out ended up being kinda complicated since 1) there aren't a ton of Poly/Fusions that have an OPT on the Fusion effect and 2) of those that do, a lot of them prevent you from continuing plays. 

Just now, Lazarus IV said:

The Dark's "Fusion substitute" effect only works for named materials. It wouldn't be able to be used as Material for Furious Dragon (neither via a Fusion spell nor by its own effect).

I ran a quick test of this on edopro. It does seem to let Verte bypass the HOPT restrictions on the card. I dunno if there's a more direct ruling on this though.

I have to say, testing this out ended up being kinda complicated since 1) there aren't a ton of Poly/Fusions that have an OPT on the Fusion effect and 2) of those that do, a lot of them prevent you from continuing plays. 

I can't Fin Branded Fusion in the search bar in my YGOpro even in the laset Update and I did a Search in the OCG Area

Just now, Lazarus IV said:

Fair enough, all the ones i can think of a la Red Eyes have your good ol' "Cant SS for the rest of the turn". Still, good to know that it seems to work how i thought it did, that opens up some new lines for some customs i was working on. Many thanks!

• 5 months later...

Looking up token monster in the rules and on Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki didn't yeild a definitive answer about duplicates needing represented seperately. Although, I'm inclined to believe that a player can only have a number of non-token monsters equal to the number of monster zones minus the number of monster tokens because of the game's mechanics. How many duplicates of the same token can a player control at once? For example, it's common practice in Magic: the Gathering for players to use one Elf token creature card with a die on it to count the number con those tokens controlled, if all of those tokens are in the same overall condition. As that token is summoning sick the turn it's created (can't remember the exact terminology), the player uses a duplicate card the signify an elf token creature of the same quality brought out on a subseqhent turn, if the original survived until that turn. Of course, Magic's board is unlimited in size.

30 minutes ago, TurnkeySloth said:

Looking up token monster in the rules and on Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki didn't yeild a definitive answer about duplicates needing represented seperately. Although, I'm inclined to believe that a player can only have a number of non-token monsters equal to the number of monster zones minus the number of monster tokens because of the game's mechanics. How many duplicates of the same token can a player control at once? or example, it's common practice in Magic: the Gathering for players to use one Elf token creature card with a de on it to count the number con those tokens controlled, if all of those tokens are in the same overall condition. As that token is summoning sick the turn it's created (can't remember the exact terminology), the player uses a duplicate card the signify an elf token creature of the same quality brought out on a subseqhent turn, if the original survived until that turn. Of course, Magic's board is unlimited in size.

Yes, Tokens should be represented separately. Zones in ygo matter, so you should have a separate token in each Zone that's being used.

A player can control any number of the same token, and any token can be used to represent any other token (as long as both players are aware of the token's name and characteristics). You can even use coins to represent a token(s).

No more than 5 tokens are needed since that's the maximum number you can control at any 1 time.

Okay. Does the effect below work so that fusion monsters with it get the specifed effect?

If you special summon this monster from your GY after its fusion summoning, (effect)

Additionally, do I have to specify "supernova" in text that already lists "nova" monsters as acceptible targets, as supernova already includes "nova"?

13 hours ago, TurnkeySloth said:

Okay. Does the effect below work so that fusion monsters with it get the specifed effect?

If you special summon this monster from your GY after its fusion summoning, (effect)

You probably won't need to clarify this.  If a Fusion monster is sent to the GY without having been properly fusion summoned first, you are not allowed to Special Summon it from the GY.  Same deal with Rituals, Synchros, Xyzs, Links, and any monster that says "must first be Special Summoned...".

In that case, you can just say "If this card is Special Summoned from the GY: (effect)"

Additionally, do I have to specify "supernova" in text that already lists "nova" monsters as acceptible targets, as supernova already includes "nova"?

If you make a card that works with "Nova" monsters, it will also work with "Supernova" monsters, but not vice versa.

Okay. Is the effect below worded how Konami would do so? It should work such that only one card, oall of which are "Dwarf Star" monsters, with it can be Special summoned per turn.

If you control fewer monsters than your opponent: you may Special Summon this monster from your hand. You can only Special Summon one “Dwarf Star” monster this way per turn.

Additionally, the effect below is templated appoximately how it would be is Magic: the Gathering, particualarly "instead,". How's it worded in YGO? I'll be using "(sub-archetype)" below because a version od the effect appears on most monsters in the main archetype.

If this monster be destroyed: instead, you may banish it, and, if you do, Special Summon 1 (sub-archetype) monster from your Extra Deck or GY ignoring its summoning conditions.

15 hours ago, TurnkeySloth said:

Okay. Is the effect below worded how Konami would do so? It should work such that only one card, oall of which are "Dwarf Star" monsters, with it can be Special summoned per turn.

If you control fewer monsters than your opponent: you may Special Summon this monster from your hand. You can only Special Summon one “Dwarf Star” monster this way per turn.

The effect should probably be worded:

"If you control fewer monsters than your opponent, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)"

You don't use the colon in this case because it doesn't seem like the summon is meant to start a chain.  The "you can only gain this effect once per turn" is the only wording that exists in the game which limits effects, rather than specific cards (you can see it on any monster that gives you extra Normal Summons).

15 hours ago, TurnkeySloth said:

Additionally, the effect below is templated appoximately how it would be is Magic: the Gathering, particualarly "instead,". How's it worded in YGO? I'll be using "(sub-archetype)" below because a version od the effect appears on most monsters in the main archetype.

If this monster be destroyed: instead, you may banish it, and, if you do, Special Summon 1 (sub-archetype) monster from your Extra Deck or GY ignoring its summoning conditions.

Well, this one is a bit more tricky and can be approached in different ways.  "Instead" is not really a word that's used as part of an effect that activates.  It is purely used to resolve things in a different way.  The reason this is tricky is because the Summon ignoring conditions IS an activated effect.

The simplest way to go about this is to break it up into 2 effects:

"If this face-up card would be destroyed, banish it instead.  If this card is banished by its own effect: Special Summon 1 (sub-archetype) monster from your Extra Deck or GY, ignoring its Summoning conditions."

Again, if you summon an extra deck monster with this effect, you will NOT be able to resummon it if it gets destroyed (even if you ignore summon conditions).

Mods, you can merge this back into my previous post, if you deem it necessary, because this could be considered a "bump". I just wanna make sure it gets seen.

Considering the list before the alternate Xyz Summoning method, is the effect below formatted correctly?

You may Fusion Summon a “tellarknight” Fusion monster from your Extra Deck using Fusion Materials from your hand, your Deck, or either player’s field or Xyz Summon a “tellarknight” Xyz monster from your Extra Deck using Xyz Materials from either player’s field.

Considering the list before the alternate Xyz Summoning method, is the effect below formatted correctly?

You may Fusion Summon a “tellarknight” Fusion monster from your Extra Deck using Fusion Materials from your hand, your Deck, or either player’s field or Xyz Summon a “tellarknight” Xyz monster from your Extra Deck using Xyz Materials from either player’s field.

You'd want to separate that kind of effect into 2 choices.  A good card to base this kind of effect is "Secrets of Dark Magic"

If you want to get better at different card wording, I usually recommend getting EDOpro for your computer/phone (if you don't have it).  It's a yugioh sim that has every card released/revealed and even has a lot of anime/Rush Duel cards.  You can use the search bar to find cards with different phrases to help you with your own card text!

7 minutes ago, Redro said:

You'd want to separate that kind of effect into 2 choices.  A good card to base this kind of effect is "Secrets of Dark Magic"

If you want to get better at different card wording, I usually recommend getting EDOpro for your computer/phone (if you don't have it).  It's a yugioh sim that has every card released/revealed and even has a lot of anime/Rush Duel cards.  You can use the search bar to find cards with different phrases to help you with your own card text!

This is good advice

Okay. I just installed EDOpro.

I'm reworking a few card ideas I had before leaving the community into retrain-adjacent versions of the Time Wizard-based cards, all of which change their name to the worse monster's during a game. The effect below is from Dark Sage's replacement. How should it be worded? I realize EDOpro could be somewhat useful here, but I'm unaware of a card that does anything like it. It should work so banishing a card while an opposing Link monster's in front of your Dark Magic Titan negates the LM's effect before checking the banished card's type. If that card was a monster card, the LM would then be destroyed and your random banish becomes a discard.

(Quick Effect) During either player’s turn, you may banish a random card from your hand, and, if you do, negate the effects of the nearest card your opponent controls to this monster that’s in the same column as it. If that card and the banished card are the same type: destroy the card with effect(s) negated by this effect and put the banished card into your GY. This effect cannot be negated. Only use this effect once per turn.

Additionally, do I need to name "Time Sage" in the effect of the replacements or as a Material for any fusions I add to the "archetype"? For example, Dark Magic Titan's Special Summon option currently mentions "Time Sage" because the name override was originally just field-based.

Archived