Ideas for Master Rules 6

As the title says, I'm gonna putting my ideas for what I think would be a good MR6. Of course everybody's welcome to comment their own opinions/additions/removals as long as you explain your reasoning:

1. No more missing timing. This is just annoying, it adds complexity for the sake of complexity. It's not fun, it doesn't add any real form of strategy, and it's not intuitive. It took me 3 years before I decided to finally search it up and learn what it means.

2. You can set 1 monster or tribute summon 1 monster in addition to your normal summon/set. In other words, you can only normal summon once, but you can also set an additional monster or you can tribute summon an additional monster. You can also set twice or tribute summon twice (looking at you monarchs/steelswarm). This gives flip summoning and tribute summoning a bit more power. Being able to use your 1 normal summon as a combo starter and then setting a flip monster for mind games/extra interruption would definitely make them more viable. As for tribute summoning, it gives you the ability to normal summon/set a monster and then tribute summon over on the same turn. I considered 1 set AND 1 tribute summon, but decided it would be too much.

3. Flip monsters work like traps. This is self-explanatory, just like how you can respond to your opponent's actions by activating traps, you would be able to respond to your opponent's actions using flip effects. Flip monsters have always had good effects, but suffer because they're slow. If you can use them like trap cards though, then they can go back to their former glory. This might need  some balance adjustments, certain flip monsters that are too good would need to be limited or banned, but as far as I know, most flip monsters would go from unplayable to viable.

4. Only 1 monster/spell/trap activation can be negated each turn. Negates are a necessary evil, they've existed since the start of the game, but it's not fun for either player when you can just negate all your opponent's cards. Destruction, banishing, bouncing, etc. are all powerful forms of destruction, and these things still allow your opponent to play around them. By limiting negates, people have to rely on other forms of disruption.

5. Monster effects cost LP to activate. The LP cost would be based on how powerful the effect is. This would require Konami to sit down and figure out certain tiers of effects and attaching appropriate costs to them. For example, continuous effects don't require activation so they'll be free, battle effects are incredibly weak currently so they'll also be free. Destruction, GY disruption, and special summoning effects would cost 600 lp (per card affected). Non-destruction removal, searches, and draws would cost 1200 lp (per card affected). Negates would cost 1800 lp. This is to slow down the game. Right now games end in turn 1 or 2 because people are able search, special summon, draw, destroy, banish, countless times for no real cost. By attaching lp costs, people will actually think before activating effects, they can't just spam everything or all of a sudden they'll be sitting there with 600 lp, unable to activate effects and potentially getting burned for game. This also brings burn/anti-burn/lp gaining effects back into the game.

In summary, these rules are mainly meant to bring older strategies up to par and also slow the game down so people can actually enjoy a good back and forth (subjective). All of these rules will also, hopefully, increase the variety of cards, effects, and strategies that we see going forward, making them game overall more enjoyable (again subjective). I would like to hear what people think of these rules and if there's any changes or additions you would make to this. PS. I would like to go to back only 1 active field spell.

While I find them interesting (especially the LP being a resource system, even if I feel like the costs were kinda high), I think most of these would change the game too radically. They would be interesting to try in some sort of side format (like Speed Duels), IMO

I would suggest some basic revisions (which I didn't gave too much thinking tbh xD):

1. While a player controls a Link monster, if they would summon from the Extra Deck, they must summon to the Extra Monster Zone or to a zone a Link Monster points to (akin to MR4)

2. A player can Pendulum Summon 1 Pendulum Monster from their Extra Deck to a Main Monster Zone per turn (Pendulum Summoning from the hand stays the same). If the player were to Pendulum Summon more than 1 Pendulum Monster from their Extra Deck, they can summon 1 of them to the Main Monster Zone, and the others on the Extra Monster Zone or a zone a Link Monster points to (I think it gets a bit complicated, but it's a small buff to Pendulums)

I know these wouldn't change the game too much, tho xD

Archived