(18/02/2024 Update: Elemental Hero + Cyber Dragon!?!) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (10/??)

dacidaci

INTRODUCTION

When people said that they missed the "old" Yu-Gi-Oh!, chances are they were talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. It wasn't just a sequel to our beloved card game, what we witnessed was an evolution or a first step to the world of competitive Yu-Gi-Oh!. The game's gotten more interactive, different strategies and playstyles divide players. They are going back and forth where a single Monster's Effect/Spell/Trap card can change the whole game to an extent where anyone could win, with sheer skills... and a little bit of luck. This era was arguably the best era of Yu-Gi-Oh! for many people, they liked it so much they wanted to keep playing in this format, or what we'd like to call Goat Format.

For me, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX was very memorable and nostalgic because it was the one that made me love the card game. But it wasn't just that, it was at this era, I think personally, that Yu-Gi-Oh! felt the most "alive". The effect of the monsters compliment the artwork so much, it felt like the effect of the monster was the ability of that monster. When I was a kid, I always imagined the effect of Elemental Hero Flame Wingman in my head ("When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the GY: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster in the GY.") translated to it flying to the opponent's monster and burning the monster until it exploded and the explosion damages the opponent.

I don't hate the new Yu-Gi-Oh!, the game had to keep evolving. But, GX had that "magic" that couldn't be replaced and that's why I designed these cards as a tribute, for me to pay respect, to the era that introduced me to Yu-Gi-Oh!.

10. Elemental Hero Cyber Dragon (LIGHT/Level 8)

ElementalHeroCyberDragon.thumb.png.4cc46d9bef8c2ee1b9dceece080ad048.png

Warrior/Fusion/Effect ATK/2500 DEF/2000

1 "Elemental HERO" monster + 1 "Cyber Dragon" monster
Must be Fusion Summoned or Special Summoned by its own effect. You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; it loses 2100 ATK. If only your opponent controls a monster: You  Special Summon this Fusion Summoned card (from your GY), but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of “Elemental Hero Cyber Dragon” once per turn.

NOTE : :')

9. Bloodlust Summoned Skull (DARK/Level 8)

BloodlustSummonedSkull.thumb.png.9c26bf4e90fee55fa824f5aef16f39e0.png

Fiend/Effect ATK/2500 DEF/0

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. (Quick Effect): Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 1 Level 6 or higher monster, but banish it during the End Phase. When this card is Summoned: Send all monsters you control to the GY, and if you do, this card's ATK becomes double its original ATK.

NOTE : Summoned Skull was one of the OG Beatstick, used for it's high ATK and low cost, but unfortunately over the course of the time, new and more powerful card were created and overpowered Summoned Skull... and that's what inspired me to design the evolution of Summoned Skull. The concept is simple, how to make it more "Beatstick-y" or "Game Ender-y" and this is what I came up with.

8. Red-Eyes Jet Black Dragon (DARK/Level 7)

RedEyesJetBlackDragon.thumb.png.d0737e68cd32b0b5b2362dbb605d141d.png

Machine/Fusion/Effect ATK/2400 DEF/2000

"Red-Eyes Black Dragon" + 1 Machine monster
When this card is Fusion Summoned or Special Summoned by its own effect: You can target and destroy 1 monster on the field, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to half the original ATK of the destroyed monster. If this Fusion Summoned card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can banish Dragon and/or Machine monster(s) whose total Levels equal 7 or more, then Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only use each effect of “Red-Eyes Jet Black Dragon” once per turn.

NOTE : Just another Red-Eyes boss monster, and what better ways than to make it a DARK Machine Fusion so it could synchronize well with Cyber Dragon, Machine monsters, Overload Fusion, and everything in between. I really like the concepts of  robots consuming life forces of others to make them stronger than they already are and making them "immortal" by re-awakening themselves or fixing their broken parts by using parts of the enemies they have destroyed... It just translated well into the card's effect.

7. Mother of the Harpie Lady (WIND/Level 9)

MotheroftheHarpieLady.thumb.png.d271b7fb2364fa4fba6248eb7e48d99d.png

Winged Beast/Effect ATK/2000 DEF/3000

Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having 3 or more WIND monsters in your GY. You can Special Summon 1 "Harpie Lady" from your hand or GY. If a Spell or Trap card(s) on the field is destroyed and sent to the GY (Quick Effect): You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls. You can only use each effect of "Mother of the Harpie Lady" once per turn.

NOTE : Basically a Boss Monster and a Support at the same time for the Harpie Lady archetype by helping spamming the board with the ladies and destroying opponent's mosnter. The part where destroying 1 monster if a S/T card is destroyed supposed to be a combo with "Harpies Hunting Ground" on the field, this card SS a "Harpie Lady", then "Harpies Hunting Ground" destroys a S/T,  and finally this card destroys a monster on the field.

6. Jin Zaloog (DARK/Level 6)

JinZaloog.thumb.png.68817b4b2a230e6afc43871f3064f7fc.png

Warrior/Effect ATK/2100 DEF/1500

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarsing 1 "Don Zaloog" or 1 "Dark Scorpion" monster. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent, you can activate 1 of these effects:

- Special Summon 1 "Don Zaloog" or 1 "Dark Scorpion" monster from your GY.

- Add 1 "Don Zaloog" or 1 "Dark Scorpion" monster from your Deck to your hand.

NOTE : It's self explanatory, it's a support that help setup the Dark Scorpion archetype. Even though I believe I've made a not that bad of a card, I think I still need to make some other Dark Scorpion supports, just becaese the archetype is soooo baddd.

5. Absolute Dark Lucius (DARK/Level 9)

AbsoluteDarkLucius.thumb.png.3fdc5a64a53bd55cca4350ba4e11c6d0.png

Fiend/Effect ATK/3300 DEF/2900

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. During either player's turn: You can Special Summon this card by banishing 3 monsters you control from your GY. You must control no cards to activate and to resolve this effect. When this card is Special Summoned by its effect: Negate the effects of all face-up monsters on the field, until the end of the Battle Phase. During your opponent's Battle Phase, all monsters they control are changed to face-up Attack Position, and each monster they control must attack this card, if able.

NOTE : Dark Lucius was one of the forgotten LV monster and it was a shame because the artwork was great but the effect just meh. So basically I designed another one of those Gorz or Tragoedia, those cards that could turn the tide of the game. Hopefully I made it strong enough but not too OP with all the restrictions, but I made sure characteristic of "Dark Lucius" which is negating the effect of the opponent's monster is still intact... I know I know, "Dark Lucius" negate the effects of the monster that it destroyed by battle, but I don't think that is just not good enough, so I decided to tweak it a little bit hehe.

4. Elemental Hero Killshot (FIRE/Level 6)

ElementalHeroKillshot.thumb.png.13a5fedc21d61ea176fc2a116888f21b.png

Warrior/Fusion/Effect ATK/2100 DEF/900

“Elemental Hero Sparkman” + “Elemental Hero Burstinatrix”
Must be Fusion Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During each the Standby Phase: All monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it during the End Phase.

NOTE : Out of the tree that I've designed, this one is personally my favorite. Imagine a war, in the beginning, she will be in the front row, shooting multiple arrows at one to groups of enemies, weakening them and assisting other heroes (During the Standby Phase: All monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK). After that, she became more strategic, hiding and targeting opponents one by one. She was so skilled, she could kill any opponent instantly if given enough time and space (You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it during the End Phase.).

3. Elemental Hero Levititan (WATER/Level 6)

ElementalHeroLevititan.thumb.png.d4e1b826627942e2fa56ec366df6c13a.png

Warrior/Fusion/Effect ATK/0 DEF/3200

“Elemental Hero Clayman” + “Elemental Hero Bubbleman”
Must be Fusion Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn: You can switch the original ATK and DEF of this card, but destroy it during your opponent’s End Phase. When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the GY: Destroy all monster your opponent controls with original ATK less than that destroyed monster in the GY.

NOTE : For this one, I imagined it to be some kind of GIGANTIC AND TANKY WARRIOR. He's so heavy and hard to move, let alone attack, hence the ATK and DEF. But, he can force himself to move and attack the opponent, swinging a heavy hit that the impact blow away other monsters and killing them (Destroy all monster your opponent controls...). Unfortunately, forcing himself to move and attack was too exhausting and finally costing his life ( Switch the ATK and DEF... destroy it during your opponent's End Phase).

2. Elemental Hero Lighting Striker (WIND/Level 6)

ElementalHeroLightningStriker.thumb.png.08014d57eb8606413b2db7b15b078eb1.png

Warrior/Fusion/Effect ATK/2600 DEF/1300

“Elemental Hero Sparkman” + “Elemental Hero Avian”
Must be Fusion Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the GY: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls with ATK less than that destroyed monster in the GY; destroy that target, and if you do, target 1 Spell/Trap your opponent controls; destroy that target.

NOTE : When I designed this card, I imagined he was some kind of an assassin, that could kill multiple enemies swiftly one after the another. So basically, after he killed 1 monster, he directly search for another monster nearby that could be killed quickly (When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the GY: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls with ATK less than that destroyed monster in the GY) whilst destroying their weapon/armor in the process (and if you do, target 1 Spell/Trap your opponent controls; destroy that target.)

1. Winged Flame Chimera (FIRE/Level 6)

WingedFlameChimera.thumb.png.f35c90effb877dabb9d54312afba7cb3.png

Pyro/Effect ATK/1500 DEF/0

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can banish 2 FIRE monsters in your GY, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target. This card gains 300 ATK for each of your banished FIRE monsters.

NOTE : So, I designed this card to work well with Turtle Ufo (SS FIRE monster with 1500ATK or less) and FIRE monsters that banishes FIRE monsters, such as Inferno, Infernal Flame Emperor, etc. I purposefully made the banishing effect exclusively for Tribute Summon to not make it too OP for the GX Era. I know FIRE Decks are player for their Burn Effects but another beatstick could help them beat over Boss Monster, don't you think?

Edited by dacidaci
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, dacidaci said:

INTRODUCTION

When people said that they missed the "old" Yu-Gi-Oh!, chances are they were talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. It wasn't just a sequel to our beloved card game, what we witnessed was an evolution or a first step to the world of competitive Yu-Gi-Oh!. The game's gotten more interactive, different strategies and playstyles divide players. They are going back and forth where a single Monster's Effect/Spell/Trap card can change the whole game to an extent where anyone could win, with sheer skills... and a little bit of luck. This era was arguably the best era of Yu-Gi-Oh! for many people, they liked it so much they wanted to keep playing in this format, or what we'd like to call Goat Format.

For me, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX was very memorable and nostalgic because it was the one that made me love the card game. But it wasn't just that, it was at this era, I think personally, that Yu-Gi-Oh! felt the most "alive". The effect of the monsters compliment the artwork so much, it felt like the effect of the monster was the ability of that monster. When I was a kid, I always imagined the effect of Elemental Hero Flame Wingman in my head ("When this card destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the GY: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster in the GY.") translated to it flying to the opponent's monster and burning the monster until it exploded and the explosion damages the opponent.

I don't hate the new Yu-Gi-Oh!, the game had to keep evolving. But, GX had that "magic" that couldn't be replaced and that's why I designed these cards as a tribute, for me to pay respect, to the era that introduced me to Yu-Gi-Oh!.

1. Winged Flame Chimera (FIRE/Level 6)

WingedFlameChimera.thumb.png.f35c90effb877dabb9d54312afba7cb3.png

Pyro/Effect ATK/1500 DEF/0

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can banish 2 FIRE monsters in your GY, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target. This card gains 300 ATK for each of your banished FIRE monsters.

NOTE : So, I designed this card to work well with Turtle Ufo (SS FIRE monster with 1500ATK or less) and FIRE monsters that banishes FIRE monsters, such as Inferno, Infernal Flame Emperor, etc. I purposefully made the banishing effect exclusively for Tribute Summon to not make it too OP for the GX Era. I know FIRE Decks are player for their Burn Effects but another beatstick could help them beat over Boss Monster, don't you think?

You can add this your card to "Laval Helios" deck. 

• Like 1

So, a card designed for GOAT format, that is refreshing and unusual for this site.

I am no GOAT expert but I know a bit about the cardpool and the most dominant strategies. That said, IIRC Tribute summoning in GOAT format is not as feasible and comes with risks unless it's a Monarch or Jinzo, and FIRE decks do not do so hot in top tiers . This is close to a Monarch, but... it is lacking on ATK unless you have banished setup, and the effect requires GY setup as well. I do see the appeal of Summoning it from UFO Turtle and searching it with Sangan, but even then, in FIRE decks I dare say you may be better off playing a Monarch since they are more flexible. I guess it would be good as 1 or 2-of, IDK.

• Like 1

• dacidaci changed the title to Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (4/??)

02/09/2023 Update : Added 3 Elemental Hero Fusions, giving the classics some lovvveee!

On 8/28/2023 at 11:57 PM, Darj said:

So, a card designed for GOAT format, that is refreshing and unusual for this site.

I am no GOAT expert but I know a bit about the cardpool and the most dominant strategies. That said, IIRC Tribute summoning in GOAT format is not as feasible and comes with risks unless it's a Monarch or Jinzo, and FIRE decks do not do so hot in top tiers . This is close to a Monarch, but... it is lacking on ATK unless you have banished setup, and the effect requires GY setup as well. I do see the appeal of Summoning it from UFO Turtle and searching it with Sangan, but even then, in FIRE decks I dare say you may be better off playing a Monarch since they are more flexible. I guess it would be good as 1 or 2-of, IDK.

So, do you think it would be better if I change the effect from "When this card is Tribute Summoned: ..." to "Once per turn: ..." for more continuity and consistency?

• dacidaci changed the title to (02/09/2023 Update: 3 E. Hero Fusions using Vanilla E. Heroes as Materials) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (4/??)
2 hours ago, dacidaci said:

02/09/2023 Update : Added 3 Elemental Hero Fusions, giving the classics some lovvveee!

So, do you think it would be better if I change the effect from "When this card is Tribute Summoned: ..." to "Once per turn: ..." for more continuity and consistency?

Hmm... not sure. As I said, the card is not bad per se, but is situational and needs deck dedication, it could work well as a 1-of, or even 2-of. But if you want to improve it, IMO make it so it activates the effect on any Summon. That way, summoning from UFO Turtle becomes a stronger play provided you have the FIREs in GY to banish. But an OPT pop would be pushing it, IMO.

Edited by Darj

• dacidaci changed the title to (07/09/2023 Update: A "Dark Lucius" on steroids basically lol) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (4/??)
  • dacidaci changed the title to (10/09/2023 Update: Dark Scorpion support, well I tried) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (5/??)
  • dacidaci changed the title to (16/09/2023 Update: Harpie Lady's Support/Boss Monster!?!) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (7/??)
  • dacidaci changed the title to (24/09/2023 Update: Red-Eyes Black Dragon + Machine monster Fusion!?!) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (8/??)
  • dacidaci changed the title to (30/09/2023 Update: Another Summoned Skull Beatstick!?!) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (9/??)
  • dacidaci changed the title to (18/02/2024 Update: Elemental Hero + Cyber Dragon!?!) Casual cards designed for Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Era (10/??)
  • 3 weeks later...