As long as people keep spending those ridiculous amounts instead of walking away, I'm pretty sure the game will live.

Competitive play is obviously too expensive, that is the one aspect of Yugioh that can be in danger in case pros ever realize what a waste of money it is. Personally I don't bother with that, I keep buying the occasional booster since their price seems to be same as always, and from that perspective, I see no reason why should the card game die altogether.

But I live in a 3rd world country with no idea of how things in America actually work, so I don't know how the market is going over there. I think paying 300$ for a piece of cardboard is criminal, but as long as the actual boosters and boxes' prices remain the same, I see no reason why it should end.

It's funny to see stupid threads like this pop up.

No, it's not killing itself by doing this. If anything, the fact that a tolerable amount of players are willing to pay that much... shows that the game is alive and well.

One other fact of note is that the two main target groups of players are just fine right now.

There are the competitive players who have money to burn. They burn the money, get the competitive cards, and keep up with the game.

There are the uncompetitive players who have money to burn. They burn the money, get whatever cards they want, and play the game without caring about wins or losses.

The only players who really are left out in the cold... are players who can't enjoy the game unless everyone else enjoys it the same way that they do.

They ARE overpricing cards, but I wouldn't say they're killing themselves...

The main reason is that they want money and they don't care what they have to do. There are cards out there that are REALLY good and the people that sell there cards know that some people are looking for them. So, they'll just ask for more money than it's worth.

But soon, the prices will drop. Don't worry.

They ARE overpricing cards' date=' but I wouldn't say they're killing themselves...[/quote']

Contradiction.

Any overpriced product does harm to itself, thereby "killing itself", albeit possibly in a slow way.

So, the two always go hand in hand, which means that you're either wrong about them being overpriced, or wrong about them killing themselves.

In this case, you're wrong about the overpricing; the only true price of a card in the primary market is always something preset and constant, whereas the only true price of a card in the secondary market is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

This is because prices in the secondary market are fluid; there is no base price deemed "right". The price of a card in the secondary market is directly equal to the exact worth that the buyer gives it at the present time.

Because the companies make NO MONEY FROM the secondary market, and they have no reason to attempt to control the secondary market, they aren't involving themselves with it. Therefore, the companies do not set the secondary market price.

The primary market is the direct purchase of a card from the companies, through a retailer middleman. In this market, the price of a card is

(Price of the pack it's in, divided by the number of cards in the pack)

EVERY TIME.

The secondary market is the indirect purchase of a card from the companies, through a retailer middleman and at least one further middleman (retailer or non-retailer). This second middleman seeks to make profit, just as the first middleman did; the difference is that the second middleman is fighting on a different battleground.

This new battleground is one where cards' original prices are deemed irrelevant, and supply/demand dictate a new price.

These secondary middlemen are not involved with the companies. They are the players that sell a card for anything more than the original price; they harness the power of supply v. demand, in order to inflate prices and make a better profit.

It's beautiful to watch folks burn money like this.

The main reason is that they want money and they don't care what they have to do. There are cards out there that are REALLY good and the people that sell there cards know that some people are looking for them. So' date=' they'll just ask for more money than it's worth.[/quote']

The entire problem with your post is that it's too ambiguous, meaning that you're not saying but merely implying about who you mean by "they" in these posts.

We know that this entire topic is based upon the game possibly "killing itself." The only entities that can bring this game down... are the companies.

Your post, though, cannot possibly apply to the companies, as your post complains of overpricing.

However, the post has to apply to the companies, as you're saying that "they" aren't killing the game.

See the contradiction? We're back at square one, meaning that you've got to be wrong about *something*.

But soon' date=' the prices will drop. Don't worry.

[/quote']

You aren't in any real position to make such a claim, seeing as how

1) the only way to make a booster pack card cheaper on the primary market would be to print it and sell it alongside a larger number of cards, without increasing the price by an equally proportional amount

2) the only way to make any card cheaper on the secondary market would be to make people stop wanting it

and you have no idea when either of those will happen.

Over an infinite amount of time, yeah, a price drop is a common sense claim. But "soon", being a completely arbitrary term that could mean "within the hour," "within the next year," or "within the next decade," but probably means "within the next year," has no place here.

They ARE overpricing cards' date=' but I wouldn't say they're killing themselves...[/quote']

Contradiction.

Any overpriced product does harm to itself, thereby "killing itself", albeit possibly in a slow way.

So, the two always go hand in hand, which means that you're either wrong about them being overpriced, or wrong about them killing themselves.

In this case, you're wrong about the overpricing; the only true price of a card in the primary market is always something preset and constant, whereas the only true price of a card in the secondary market is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

This is because prices in the secondary market are fluid; there is no base price deemed "right". The price of a card in the secondary market is directly equal to the exact worth that the buyer gives it at the present time.

Because the companies make NO MONEY FROM the secondary market, and they have no reason to attempt to control the secondary market, they aren't involving themselves with it. Therefore, the companies do not set the secondary market price.

The primary market is the direct purchase of a card from the companies, through a retailer middleman. In this market, the price of a card is

(Price of the pack it's in, divided by the number of cards in the pack)

EVERY TIME.

The secondary market is the indirect purchase of a card from the companies, through a retailer middleman and at least one further middleman (retailer or non-retailer). This second middleman seeks to make profit, just as the first middleman did; the difference is that the second middleman is fighting on a different battleground.

This new battleground is one where cards' original prices are deemed irrelevant, and supply/demand dictate a new price.

These secondary middlemen are not involved with the companies. They are the players that sell a card for anything more than the original price; they harness the power of supply v. demand, in order to inflate prices and make a better profit.

It's beautiful to watch folks burn money like this.

Well it's okay to spend 500$ on some Trading card. Bad news is, it's REALLY not worth it AT ALL!

The main reason is that they want money and they don't care what they have to do. There are cards out there that are REALLY good and the people that sell there cards know that some people are looking for them. So' date=' they'll just ask for more money than it's worth.[/quote']

The entire problem with your post is that it's too ambiguous, meaning that you're not saying but merely implying about who you mean by "they" in these posts.

We know that this entire topic is based upon the game possibly "killing itself." The only entities that can bring this game down... are the companies.

Your post, though, cannot possibly apply to the companies, as your post complains of overpricing.

However, the post has to apply to the companies, as you're saying that "they" aren't killing the game.

See the contradiction? We're back at square one, meaning that you've got to be wrong about *something*.

I probably am but really, who cares. It's one of my many posts so deal with it.

But soon' date=' the prices will drop. Don't worry.

[/quote']

You aren't in any real position to make such a claim, seeing as how

1) the only way to make a booster pack card cheaper on the primary market would be to print it and sell it alongside a larger number of cards, without increasing the price by an equally proportional amount

2) the only way to make any card cheaper on the secondary market would be to make people stop wanting it

and you have no idea when either of those will happen.

Over an infinite amount of time, yeah, a price drop is a common sense claim. But "soon", being a completely arbitrary term that could mean "within the hour," "within the next year," or "within the next decade," but probably means "within the next year," has no place here.

I am indeed capable of doing so...

I have seen prices on some cards drop from 90$ to about 15$ such as Flame Wingman. What I'm trying to say here is that once something big and new comes, the old cards won't matter and their price will have dropped quite a bit (I'm not saying hundreds of dollars here) and once that next new thing comes in, people will regret having spent 500$ or more on 1 piece of cardboard. "Soon", here, is undefined meaning that it could happen within the next year or even the next few sets! Work with me here!

Tier 2 decks dont seem that expensive to build compared to Top Tier decks. They also have the potential to do well against Top Tier decks. Top Tier decks can cost thousands to build. Many Tier 2 decks you could build a very good one for hundreds. I think now is a very bad time for new players to start. These days people that have been playing for years or people that have money to burn are the only people that seem to have high level decks.

Lightsworn, Dark Armed Dragon, Gladiator Beasts = Top Tier. Also very expensive to build right.

Macro Monarchs = example of Tier 2, I think.

yes it is' date=' I quit a week ago because they killed my dd monarch deck, and when I went looking for decks "in the meta" i found...

LightSworn

DAD

GB

what do they all have in common?

[/quote']

lol @ GB being meta

it's JD, DAD isn't as good as it used to be. The March banlist killed it.

Althought only 3 cards were changed it was a massacre for DAD. Now JD rules the meta.

And the game is going just fine and it will be better when the September list comes out.

yes it is' date=' I quit a week ago because they killed my dd monarch deck, and when I went looking for decks "in the meta" i found...

LightSworn

DAD

GB

what do they all have in common?

[/quote']

lol @ GB being meta

it's JD, DAD isn't as good as it used to be. The March banlist killed it.

Althought only 3 cards were changed it was a massacre for DAD. Now JD rules the meta.

And the game is going just fine and it will be better when the September list comes out.

Yes DAD isnt as good as it used to be. Of course the March banlist killed it. Ive heard Judgment Dragon might get banned. This might affect Lightsworn. That could mean Gladiator Beasts could possibly become the absolute best. Knowing Konami they might massacre Dark Armed Dragon. Dark Armed Dragon's value has gone down to about $200. Theyve ruined my fun once before (killing the Yata-Lock), they could do it again.

Ok, let me re phrase that question.

You worked hard all week. You got a ton of money. You have cash in hand. You see some cards and think "Oh, this is a hobby, let's buy it"

You wasted £300 on cardboard, which could of gone to something better.

Or, a man holds a gun, and starts shooting people. It's his hobby, is that ok?

how can u compare someone on a homicidal rampage witha person playing a card game.

lets look at how the dictionary defines a hobby:

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

Now people nowadays always have disposeable income, and people like to have hobbies to keep them occupied. Model builders spend hundreds of pounds on paints, model and equipment. Our hobby is similar to this but we buy other things for our hobby

Archived