Obsidian Dragon question and discussion

ObsidianDragonPTDN-EN-C.png

"Obsidian Dragon's" effect is a Continuous Effect.

Equip Spell Cards equipped during a previous turn will be negated and destroyed by "Obsidian Dragon's" effect.

When a Union Monster is equipped to a DARK monster you control' date=' it is negated and destroyed by "Obsidian Dragon's" effect after equipping to the DARK monster.

If you use "Snatch Steal" to take control of your opponent's DARK monster while you control "Obsidian Dragon", "Snatch Steal" is negated and destroyed, and the DARK monster is returned to your opponent.

[b']If you use "Brain Control" to take control of your opponent's DARK monster while you control "Obsidian Dragon", the effect of "Brain Control" is not negated. [/b]

OCG Rulings:

"Obsidian Dragon's" Continuous Effect only resolves after a Spell or Trap Card targeting a DARK monster resolves, and stays on the field.

This is because the "...and destroy them." part of the effect cannot resolve for Normal Spell Cards, Trap Cards etc that do not stay on the field after resolving. This is the biggest difference between this card and the similarly worded" Cyber Phoenix".

Therefore this effect can only be applied to Equip Spell Cards, Continuous Spell Cards and Continuous Trap Cards targeting DARK monsters.

Are the bolded actually correct rulings? Because the card itself offically says that when a Spell or Trap card targets a DARK monster, the Spell/Trap card is negated and destroyed. If the ruling is correct, then this card is useless against Sakuretsu armor, Magic Cyclinder, Drain Control and other cards that target.

Also, discuss

EDIT: I also wanted to check the offical website for this card's rulings, but the offical site is dead for some reason.

"Obsidian Dragon's" effect is a Continuous Effect.

If you use "Brain Control" to take control of your opponent's DARK monster while you control "Obsidian Dragon"' date=' the effect of "Brain Control" is not negated. [/b']

OCG Rulings:

"Obsidian Dragon's" Continuous Effect only resolves after a Spell or Trap Card targeting a DARK monster resolves, and stays on the field.

This is because the "...and destroy them." part of the effect cannot resolve for Normal Spell Cards, Trap Cards etc that do not stay on the field after resolving. This is the biggest difference between this card and the similarly worded" Cyber Phoenix".

Therefore this effect can only be applied to Equip Spell Cards, Continuous Spell Cards and Continuous Trap Cards targeting DARK monsters.

Therfore' date=' Obsidian Dragon is a [b']crap card.

The rulings posted above ARE official if found on the official FAQ.

The rulings ALSO CONTRADICT the ENTIRE base of "negate ... and destroy" cards previously released.

Maybe' date=' it's because Obsidian's effect is continuous. Also, some cards that has the effect of "negate ... and destroy" negates the activation (and the effect) of that card but this card only negates the effect. [b']From my point of view,[/b] that means that the activation of the Spell Card is not negated and since it does not stay on the field after activation, therfore it is not negated, since it can't be destroyed.

Therfore' date=' Obsidian Dragon is a [b']crap card[/b].

Y? y? y? It cn ng8 anyting 4rm Spll 2 Trps lyk Trbute 2 d Doomed, Rigeki Brak, Michizure, Shld Crsh, Hmmer Shot, Fissher, & mny mre.

1. Stop murdering english

2. Hammer Shot and Fissure don't target in the first place, so even this card's effect did worked on Normal Spell and Traps, Obsidian's effect won't activate it in the first place.

Besides, wouldn't the rulings become the same for Cyber Phoenix?

CyberPhoenixDR04-EN-UR.png

While this card is in face-up Attack Position, negate the effects of any Spell or Trap Card that targets 1 Machine-Type monster you control. When this face-up card attacks or is attacked, and it is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can draw 1 card.

Because Cyber Phoenix's bolded effect is also continuous.

I mean, since when has "...and destroy it" has to do with negate card effect in the first place? I seriously don't get it.

Y? y? y? It cn ng8 anyting 4rm Spll 2 Trps lyk Trbute 2 d Doomed, Rigeki Brak, Michizure, Shld Crsh, Hmmer Shot, Fissher, & mny mre.

Tell me, why do you bother to quote yourself and then pretend to disagree with yourself?

ok does this mean that tecknically this is a normal monster?

its quite clear NOONE got what i ment here

No' date=' it isn't, because everyone DID get what you meant.

The thing is, anyone who doesn't suck at the game... would know better than to agree with you about what you said and what you meant, because what you said and what you meant just-so-happen to be wrong.

THIS CARD SUCKS SOO EPICALLY, IT MIGHT AS WELL BE A F****** NORMAL MONSTER AS ITS EFFECT IS LITERALLY USELESS

See, this is exactly how you just-so-happen to be wrong.

There ARE STs that target and stay on-field.

Saying "it might as well be a Normal" is stupid, solely because making it a Normal actually would make it a worse card. Because it would be worse as a Normal than it already is at present, it does not suck as much as you say.

It's a bad card, but frankly, you have no place passing judgment on it, as it's as bad card-wise as you are player-wise.

The rulings posted above ARE official if found on the official FAQ.

The rulings ALSO CONTRADICT the ENTIRE base of "negate ... and destroy" cards previously released.

Maybe' date=' it's because Obsidian's effect is continuous.[/quote']

There are other "negate ... and destroy" cards with Continuous Effects. The matter of continuity is irrelevant.

Also' date=' some cards that has the effect of "negate ... and destroy" negates the activation (and the effect) of that card but this card only negates the effect.[/quote']

THIS actually has logical basis.

From my point of view' date='[/b'] that means that the activation of the Spell Card is not negated and since it does not stay on the field after activation, therfore it is not negated, since it can't be destroyed.

FYI, it's like grating nails on a chalkboard to say things like "imo" or "from my point of view". We know the difference between fact and opinion.

This just-so-happens to not be a matter of opinion, but a matter of going to the FAQ and checking things.

It doesn't work against non-remaining cards for the same reason that Phoenix Wing Wind Blast and Giant Trunade don't work against non-remaining cards.

I mean' date=' since when has "...and destroy it" has to do with negate card effect in the first place? I seriously don't get it.

[/quote']

It's not about "negate card effect," as you so put it.

It's about the game mechanic of how effects may act toward cards that are already planned for destruction by game mechanic.

Tell me, why do you bother to quote yourself and then pretend to disagree with yourself?

I dunno wat r u tlking 'bout. But I tel u dat he's rong. Nd I'm ryt. 4 dose who not knw, fissher, hmeer shot, & shld crsh trgets. My englsh techer tld me.

I dunno wat r u tlking 'bout. But I tel u dat he's rong. Nd I'm ryt. 4 dose who not knw, fissher, hmeer shot, & shld crsh trgets. My englsh techer tld me.

And who was wrong?

And who was RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT?

It didn't matter in the thick of the fight.

Guest Chaos Pudding

Can't one chain Mystical Space Typhoon to that activation of Heavy Storm and destroy Heavy Storm? Or was that just some sort of wild fantasy I had one time I was at a lollocals?

• 7 months later...

* "Obsidian Dragon's" Continuous Effect only resolves after a Spell or Trap Card targeting a DARK monster resolves, and stays on the field.

o This is because the "...and destroy them." part of the effect cannot resolve for Normal Spell Cards, Trap Cards etc that do not stay on the field after resolving. This is the biggest difference between this card and the similarly worded" Cyber Phoenix".

o Therefore this effect can only be applied to Equip Spell Cards, Continuous Spell Cards and Continuous Trap Cards targeting DARK monsters.

=========================================================================================================================

NOTE: The above is complete BS. Magic jammer: Discard 1 card from your hand. Negate the activation of a Spell Card and destroy it. According to the logic above, the spell card which had its activation negated certainly will not stay on the field like a continuous magic, therefore it would not remain on the field for you to destroy, thus making magic jammer useless??

Archived