[TWD] Brain Control.

Then it's neither Mind Control nor Heavy Storm.

And I don't worry' date=' anyhow. The signal users of Brain - Monarchs - are Tier 3 on mine list, even with this, Disk, and Malicious all dancin' on 3.

[/quote']

If I remember correctly, your list's meta is dominated by Cat/Airbellum because you failed to kill either of them.

To Curium:

If only because people insist it's WAY banworthy... and I want to bury that sheet so deep.

And, NeoPaladin didn't get the whole thing: it's The Will's Discussion.

To Nate:

Playtestin' it has made me hanker for somethin' else.

Guest PikaPerson01

It's not public enemy number one, but it's certainly one of the borderline cards.

With Synchros however, I believe it tilts more towards the bannable side.

... which, of course, tells us somethin' about the power of those Synchros themselves.

As such, the queries arise: are the Synchros (Goyo, RDA, TRA, Stardust) banworthy? Or is it that we just hate combos so much we can't seem to see the similarity between Monarchs and Synchros and thus want to ban Brain all over the place?

With Synchros however' date=' I believe it tilts more towards the bannable side.

[/quote']

Im tired of reading lines like this. Synchro summoning is a new game mechanic and is no more broken than Tribute summoning. Nobody was ever screaming "OMG Ban Brain control cuz he can tribute summon his monster with it." were they?

With Synchros however' date=' I believe it tilts more towards the bannable side.

[/quote']

Im tired of reading lines like this. Synchro summoning is a new game mechanic and is no more broken than Tribute summoning. Nobody was ever screaming "OMG Ban Brain control cuz he can tribute summon his monster with it." were they?

Synchro summoning is a far more powerful and common game mechanic than tribute summoning.

Guest PikaPerson01

... which' date=' of course, tells us somethin' about the power of those Synchros themselves.

As such, the queries arise: are the Synchros (Goyo, RDA, TRA, Stardust) banworthy? Or is it that we just hate combos so much we can't seem to see the similarity between Monarchs and Synchros and thus want to ban Brain all over the place?

[/quote']

So either we ban all Monarchs and all Synchros to keep Brain Control alive, or we ban Brain Control to keep the other cards other cards alive. I mean, the choice is pretty obvious here.

[/quote']

Some did back during the Monarch era. Either way, the "return monster at end phase" portion of the effect doesn't matter much if the game ends right there. And since you've effectively just removed an opponent's monster, as well as increased your own side by 1, the odds of winning after a Brain Control play are stacked in your favour.

Brain Control is only a problem in a fast format like this one. Simply because, assuming you win the turn that you activate the card, it's basically a Monster Reborn and a (better version of) Smashing Ground combined. (That's because Stardust can kill Smashing but not Brain)

This decreases the number of cards needed to make your win-condition, and just provides for all around cheapness.

I'm still rather undecided upon whether Brain Control was fair with the Monarchs either. Assuming your opponent has a monster and a back row, you can activate brain control, tribute for Caius, remove the back row, and attack for 2400 damage. So basically you're killing two of your opponent's cards, moving one large monster from your hand to your field, thus forcing your opponent to waste answers on dealings with it, and also inflicting nearly 1/3 of your opponent's life points in damage. I'm not sure that's a good thing. (If your opponent has 2 monsters, you're substituting the damage for another card gone, which is an even better deal.)

However, it's certainly a lot less problematic in a Monarch-dominated format because Monarchs aren't fond of reducing your opponent's life points from 8000 to 0 in one turn.

So either we ban all Monarchs and all Synchros to keep Brain Control alive, or we ban Brain Control to keep the other cards other cards alive. I mean, the choice is pretty obvious here.

Am I the one always positing the third choices?

BTW, third choice becomes: ban nothin'. None of the Monarchs are broken, none of the Synchros are broken, and Brain Control isn't banworthy.

Some did back during the Monarch era. Either way, the "return monster at end phase" portion of the effect doesn't matter much if the game ends right there. And since you've effectively just removed an opponent's monster, as well as increased your own side by 1, the odds of winning after a Brain Control play are stacked in your favour.

The "return X at End Phase" portion you so LOVE to denigrate matters if you can't finish the game that turn, or alternatively, you can't find a way to make good use of the monster you just gained control over. Brain Control isn't as much as monster removal as it is temporary monster removal with a -1 if you don't dispose of the monster or else attack for game, which is why it sees the most play in Monarchs, because they can readily hand out Tribute Summons for advantage.

Brain Control is only a problem in a fast format like this one. Simply because, assuming you win the turn that you activate the card, it's basically a Monster Reborn and a (better version of) Smashing Ground combined. (That's because Stardust can kill Smashing but not Brain)

Bullshit format is bullshit.

I'm still rather undecided upon whether Brain Control was fair with the Monarchs either. Assuming your opponent has a monster and a back row, you can activate brain control, tribute for Caius, remove the back row, and attack for 2400 damage. So basically you're killing two of your opponent's cards, moving one large monster from your hand to your field, thus forcing your opponent to waste answers on dealings with it, and also inflicting nearly 1/3 of your opponent's life points in damage. I'm not sure that's a good thing. (If your opponent has 2 monsters, you're substituting the damage for another card gone, which is an even better deal.)

That's about its only conceivable use in Monarchs: activate Brain and snatch opponent's monster, hope that a Monarch is in your hand, or else you gape as the monster you grabbed returns to your opponent's arms.

That's about its only conceivable use in Monarchs: activate Brain and snatch opponent's monster' date=' hope that a Monarch is in your hand, or else you gape as the monster you grabbed returns to your opponent's arms.

[/quote']

I heard that there is a tiny, elite group of gaming geniuses living somewhere in Poland who have somehow gained the mysterious ability to look at their own hand.

That's about its only conceivable use in Monarchs: activate Brain and snatch opponent's monster' date=' hope that a Monarch is in your hand, or else you gape as the monster you grabbed returns to your opponent's arms.

[/quote']

I heard that there is a tiny, elite group of gaming geniuses living somewhere in Poland who have somehow gained the mysterious ability to look at their own hand.

EPIC LULZ!

[/quote']

I phrase rather fantastically, Crab. Please, I'm actually havin' a good laugh with what you've quoted.

But really, in all essence, that is what Brain does, other than attackin' for damage (which is senseless except if you end the game right then and there).

Guest PikaPerson01
Am I the one always positing the third choices?

BTW, third choice becomes: ban nothin'. None of the Monarchs are broken, none of the Synchros are broken, and Brain Control isn't banworthy.

So, Brain Control deserves to be limited then? It contributes a factor to the game by punishing... duelists who run cards that are not Botanic Lion? If it's so clearly not banworthy, then perhaps it should be bumped to 2 or 3?

The "return X at End Phase" portion you so LOVE to denigrate matters if you can't finish the game that turn, or alternatively, you can't find a way to make good use of the monster you just gained control over.

I can't find a good use for the cards I drew with Pot of Greed. They should unban that.

I can't find a good use for the monster I stole with Snatch Steal or Change of Heart. They should unban those.

I can't find a good use for the monster I revived with Monster Reborn. They should unban- oh! You got me!

Would you at least consider that top decking Brain Control makes finishing games and pushing for more damage much easier?

Brain Control isn't as much as monster removal as it is temporary monster removal with a -1 if you don't dispose of the monster or else attack for game, which is why it sees the most play in Monarchs, because they can readily hand out Tribute Summons for advantage.

So it's only broken if a duelist knows what he's doing then, and targets a monster that'll bring him close to game, or bigger advantage? Great! Cyber Stein can come back now then, since stupid duelists might pick Fusionist or Charubin the Fire Knight. And Last Will should come back too, because duelists might pick Armored Starfish or Bokoichi the Frightening Car?

(inb4 strawman. <_<)

To Pika:

You might have a point when you say I am a joke account. Very well then.

So, Brain Control deserves to be limited then? It contributes a factor to the game by punishing... duelists who run cards that are not Botanical Lion? If it's so clearly not banworthy, then perhaps it should be bumped to 2 or 3?

Since havin' Brain at 1 or 2 is oh-so-pointless, I'd like it at 3.

Would you at least consider that topdecking Brain Control makes finishing games and pushing for more damage much easier?

You said topdecking. Easy.

Topdeckin' Brain when you're goin' to win by snatchin' opp's monsters: sure.

Topdeckin' Brain when you aren't, but far from losin', still: Don't play it.

Topdeckin' Brain when you aren't, and about to lose anyway: A more sensible move is one of utter resignation. Just give up the Duel.

So it's only broken if a duelist knows what he's doing then, and targets a monster that'll bring him close to game, or bigger advantage? Great! Cyber Stein can come back now then, since stupid duelists might pick Fusionist or Charubin the Fire Knight. And Last Will should come back too, because duelists might pick Armored Starfish or Bokoichi the Frightening Car?

(inb4 strawman. <_<)

You radically misunderstood me.

+ gapes, speechless +

Archived