Poc Teaches You to Pixel!

Poc

Hi, scince alot of people are asking me how I make the stuff I do in paint I thought I would post a simple tutorial to get them started.

The first thing you need to know is Pixel art is a VERY time consuming process, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several months to finish a picture, depending on its size and detail. but for the sake of this tutorial we will be drawing a very simple image, its called a house.

Any program that lets you draw and change the RBG value of your colours you can do this in, personally I find it to be easiest in MS paint. So lets open that and start a new picture.

tut1xd3.th.png

On the side is your tools, The main tools you will be using is the Pencil tool (pencil), the zoom tool (magnifying Glass), and the fill tool(bucket thing).

On the bottom is your colour pallet, I will explain more about this when we get to shading.

And the white part in the middle is your canvas.

First lets start by drawing a simple square. The easiest way to do this would be to use the square tool, but you dont learn anything by that. So zoom into magnification 8 and find a spot on the canvas.

Switch to your pencil tool and begin drawing a square/rectangle like you would on a normal peice of paper. If you make a mistake you can use CTR+Z to undo your last action.

tut2cp3.png

Once your Square is done its time to draw a roof. Using the pencil tool from one of the top corners of your square begin drawing a triangle shape, The easiest way would be to place each pixel in a diagonal pattern. If you do this from each top corner you should make a nice roof.

tut3tw2.png

Now lets draw some doors and some windows, Using your pencil tool draw two smaller squares where you want your windows to go. If you can find the center of your house it will be easier to center the door, if not you can just offset it to one side. Anyways to draw your door just make a small rectange inside the square part of the house.

tut4pv7.png

Now you have your general shape your house done, its time to start the harder stuff, shading. Were going to use 3 shades for each colour that we are going to use, you can use more but the more shades you use the harder it is to use them effectivly, when starting its best to use a smaller amount of shades, anyways lets make some colour pallets.

This is your colour pallet,

tut5yj0.png

right now it has about 2 shades of each colour, but we want 3 of the colours were using. So choose the colours you want to use for your house. Im using brown for the roof and red for the square part. So to get 3 shades of each im going to double click red.

A window that looks like this should come up

tut6zk0.png

For our 3 shades we need a dark, medium, and light shade so by moving that little black triangle on the bar on the right side we can choose our shades of red, play around with it untill you find 3 shades of your colour that you like. Do the same for your roof shades.

The important part about shading is where the light source is coming from. For this picture its 12 O'clock lighting, or the light is directly above the picture. This is the easiest way to shade a picture.

Lets start with the square part of the house, im using red so im going to take the light shade and fill the square using the fill tool. After im going to take the dark shade and make a line under the roof because this roof overhangs the house a bit.

tut7pw2.png

After I took the medium red shade and outlined the inside edge of the square and the dark shade line. Then I filled the roof with the medium shade of brown and outlined the inside edge with the dark shade of brown. I used the light shade of brown to outline the angled part.

tut8om0.png

To shade the windows I used a very light blue shade for the glass and outlined them using the dark red shade for half of the square and the medium red shade for the other half. For the door I filled it with the medium brown shade and put a doorknob on it with a black pixel.

tut9sd4.png

Now your house is pretty much done, although it dosent look to great its a very simple project, using what you learned you can now add to your house making it look even better! It took me alot of practice and almost 5 years to get where I am today so dont expect it to come all at once, but if your dedicated you can make some really awesome pictures that turn heads and make your friends jealous.

housees4.png

neptunemk1.png

f40fyh1.png

[Good luck and have fun.

Archived