Emo/Screamo

Mr.Robot

It all started in 1984, with punk band [color=#ff0000][b]Husker Du's[/b][/color] and the band [color=#ff0000][b]Rites Of Spring[/b][/color] started to include element from hardcore punk and straight up alternative.They only lasted for two years, but the effect was nonetheless important; Bands like [color=#ff0000][b]Embrace[/b][/color] ,[b] [color=#ff0000]Moss Icon[/color][/b], and [color=#ff0000][b]Dag Nasty[/b][/color] followed suit, with a new brand of hardcore punk: a little more structure, a little more heart. The term "emo" didn't come until years later, after most of these bands were dead and gone, but everything still lived on. Emo was short for Emotional Motivated Hardcore which could be identified by the lyrics but mostly by it's instrumental.

Over time, this sound morphed. [color=#ff0000][b]Bands like Cap'n Jazz[/b][/color], [color=#ff0000][b]Sunny Day Real Estate[/b][/color], and [color=#ff0000][b]The Get Up Kids[/b][/color] took the tenants of the genre, the abstract lyrics, the abrasive hooks, and spun them in different ways, injecting other genres into the mix.

The 80's emo music had a run in with the newly formed post hardcore genre with bands such as [color=#0000cd][b]Fugazi[/b][/color], [color=#0000cd][b]Girls against Boys[/b][/color] and [color=#0000cd][b]Minor Threat[/b][/color]. With 90's hardcore scene dominated by post hardcore bands like [color=#0000cd][b]Glassjaw[/b][/color], [color=#0000cd][b]Blood Brothers[/b][/color], [color=#0000cd][b]Thursday[/b][/color] and [color=#0000cd][b]Thrice [/b][/color], emo returns with a different sound where the bands of that era incorporated sound from grind and post rock. These bands, like [color=#ff0000][b]Pg.99[/b][/color], [color=#ff0000][b]City Of Caterpillar[/b][/color], [color=#ff0000][b]Joshua Fit For Battle[/b][/color] would be consider as screamo as they're basically emo with heavier sound or more screaming.

Modern emo music can sound like either the traditional emo or from it's screamo era as they are consider as one and be called as Skramz. (i.e [color=#ff0000][b]Circle Takes The Square, Envy, Pianos Become Teeth, The Subways[/b][/color])

Today the term had been misused, for example

Mall Emo/MTV emo:
Emo: My Chemical Romance
Screamo: The Used

They believe that emo is basically rock bands with sad poppy lyrics and screamo is a heavier version of emo or any bands with screaming.

Scene Kids:
Emo: Escape The Fate
Screamo: Alesana

They believe that emo and screamo is any bands with long hair and write sad music.

List of skramz:
[center][b]1905[/b]
[b]A Case Of Grenada[/b]
[b]Amanda Woodward[/b]
[b]Ampere[/b]
[b]Angel Hair[/b]
[b]Antioch Arrow[/b]
[b]Arse Moreira[/b]
[b]Assfactor 4[/b]
[b]Aussit't Mort[/b]
[b]Balaclava[/b]
[b]Baron Noir[/b]
[b]Blacken the Skies[/b]
[b]Boa Narrow[/b]
[b]Born Dead Icons[/b]
[b]Breather Resist[/b]
[b]Bucket Full of Teeth[/b]
[b]Burnman[/b]
[b]Calvary[/b]
[b]Circle Takes the Square[/b]
[b]City of Caterpillar[/b]
[b]Clikatat Ikatowi[/b]
[b]Cobra Kai[/b]
[b]Conation[/b]
[b]Corn On Macabre[/b]
[b]Cost of An Arm[/b]
[b]Cowboys Became Folk Heroes[/b]
[b]Creation is Crucifixion[/b]
[b]Crestfallen[/b]
[b]Current[/b]
[b]Daitro[/b]
[b]Danse Macabre[/b]
[b]Dear Diary I Seem To Be Dead[/b]
[b]Die, Emperor Die![/b]
[b]Dispensing Of False Halos[/b]
[b]Efra[/b]
[b]Embrace[/b]
[b]Emo Summer[/b]
[b]Enoch Ardon[/b]
[b]Envy[/b]
[b]Evergreen[/b]
[b]Flashbulb Memory[/b]
[b]Former Members of Alfonsin[/b]
[b]Funeral Diner[/b]
[b]Get f***ed[/b]
[b]Gospel[/b]
[b]Harriet the Spy[/b]
[b]Heroin[/b]
[b]Hot Cross[/b]
[b]Hugs[/b]
[b]I Hate Myself[/b]
[b]Indian Summer[/b]
[b]I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism In Your Yearbook[/b]
[b]I Would Set Myself on Fire for You[/b]
[b]I, Robot[/b]
[b]Index for Potential Suicide[/b]
[b]Joan Of Arc[/b]
[b]Joshua Fit for Battle[/b]
[b]Kakistocracy[/b]
[b]The Khayembii Communique[/b]
[b]Kobayashi[/b]
[b]The Kodan Armada[/b]
[b]La Quiete[/b]
[b]Lee Marvin Computer Arm[/b]
[b]Life at These Speeds[/b]
[b]Light the Fuse and Run[/b]
[b]Louise Cyphre[/b]
[b]Love Like... Electrocution[/b]
[b]Love Lost But Not Forgotten[/b]
[b]Make Me[/b]
[b]Malady[/b]
[b]Mannequin[/b]
[b]Mary Reilly[/b]
[b]Mass Movement of the Moth[/b]
[b]Mayans[/b]
[b]Maxamillian Colby[/b]
[b]Memento Mori[/b]
[b]Moss Icon[/b]
[b]Neil Perry[/b]
[b]Off Minor[/b]
[b]Orchid[/b]
[b]Palatka[/b]
[b]Pg.99[/b]
[b]Phoenix Bodies[/b]
[b]Please Inform the Captain This is a Hijack[/b]
[b]Plunger[/b]
[b]Policy of Three[/b]
[b]Portrait[/b]
[b]Portraits of Past[/b]
[b]Pretty Faces[/b]
[b]Raein[/b]
[b]Rites of Spring[/b]
[b]Rinoa[/b]
[b]Ruhaeda[/b]
[b]Saetia[/b]
[b]Sakita Sarra[/b]
[b]Shikari[/b]
[b]Shotmaker[/b]
[b]Sinkthefucker[/b]
[b]Sl's3[/b]
[b]Sophora[/b]
[b]Stop It![/b]
[b]Suis la Lune[/b]
[b]Systral[/b]
[b]Tafkata[/b]
[b]Takaru[/b]
[b]Ten Grand/The Vidablue[/b]
[b]The Apoplexy Twist Orchestra[/b]
[b]The Avenging Disco Godfathers of Soul[/b]
[b]The Disease[/b]
[b]The Holy Shroud[/b]
[b]The Infarto, Scheisse![/b]
[b]The Spirit Of Versailles[/b]
[b]The State Secedes[/b]
[b]The Subways[/b]
[b]To Dreamo of Autumn[/b]
[b]Towers[/b]
[b]Transistor Transistor[/b]
[b]Turn Around Norman[/b]
[b]Twelve Hour Turn[/b]
[b]Uranus[/b]
[b]Usurp Synapse[/b]
[b]We Fly Our Kites at Night[/b]
[b]Whenallelsefails[/b]
[b]Wolves[/b]
[b]Wow, Owls![/b]
[b]Yage[/b]
[b]Yaphet Kotto[/b]
[b]You and I[/b]
[b]Zegota[/b][/center]

[center]Emo[/center]
[center] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk[/media][/center]

[center]Screamo[/center]
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGFcNCcG00[/media][/center]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[center]Funny how people think this is screamo:[/center]
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8UD3E82Bc[/media][/center]
[center]Probably because it has screams in them...lol bad logic[/center]

[center]anyway, my favorite screamo band would be Orchid. Them or Saetia.[/center]
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhs-sXr0VmU[/media][/center]

[quote name='METALMAXIMAL' timestamp='1322790138' post='5679449']
Cortensen las venas! por emos hechos para emos.
[/quote]

Something about veins, by emos for emos.

Assuming you're talking about cutting, kindly shut the f*** up, as cutting isn't an emo pastime. Wanna know what an emo pastime is? Going to house shows, getting drunk, listening to happy music, and being happy.

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322790383' post='5679469']
Something about veins, by emos for emos.

Assuming you're talking about cutting, kindly shut the f*** up, as cutting isn't an emo pastime. Wanna know what an emo pastime is? Going to house shows, getting drunk, listening to happy music, and being happy.
[/quote]
Well in some countries man in some i see hardcore emos dude.

[center][quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322778563' post='5678970'][/center]
[center]Yay! People on YCM that aren't dumb about genres and stereotypes!

OT: My favorite screamo/skramz/whatever band is The Number 12 Looks Like You. Too bad they broke up. Behind them is either Circle Takes the Square or Pg.99.
[/quote][/center]
[center]You be surprise mate. And TN12LLY might have a reunion show if their live dvd sales are good.[/center]

[center][quote name='METALMAXIMAL' timestamp='1322790920' post='5679493']
Can i say there more depress about anything?

A little bit of meaning:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Dmg_4ZA2Y[/media]
[/quote][/center]

[center]lol..this guy? emo is short for emotional motivated hardcore which would mean it's a musical genre. Calling depress people emo wont make much sense since it's literally calling someone's music.[/center]

[center][quote name='Tentacruel' timestamp='1322790526' post='5679474']
Kind of ironic huh.

Anyway, I really don't like the extreme stretches where people call anything with screaming screamo.
[/quote]
Basically what MTV did with bands that feature screaming in them, even if they only screams in a few track.[/center]

[quote name='Y2Jgrave VS the WORLD' timestamp='1322807319' post='5680228']
[center]You be surprise mate. And TN12LLY might have a reunion show if their live dvd sales are good.[/center]

[center]lol..this guy? emo is short for emotional motivated hardcore which would mean it's a musical genre. Calling depress people emo wont make much sense since it's literally calling someone's music.[/center]
[center]
Basically what MTV did with bands that feature screaming in them, even if they only screams in a few track.[/center]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's how the Used and Red Jumpsuit apparatus got label as screamo bands.

[quote name='METALMAXIMAL' timestamp='1322790138' post='5679449']
Wait aren't emos like those who cut there Vanes off? looooool
[/quote]

Nope, I think you're either got lost and end up in a suicidal support group or the stereotypical meat-head type. Anyway, I know that you can read since you can type so read everything on the first page buddy.

Anyway, here's an screamo band from Italy and yes they're still active
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzAiGr4onHo[/media]

Wait... people think screamo's a genre and not just a type of vocal, y'know like its original meaning was? People have misused it so much that it's apparently become a music genre instead of just a vocal genre even though you can't give it its own specific area in the genre world, due to the fact that it's just parts of other genres to the point that the sound variance would be so great it'd be stupid to include some of the bands in the genre, even though they'd technically fit it.

If you wanted to make screamo a genre it would cover such a huge range of areas of genres. Then there's the "strict" definition as to where you count it as screamo. Would it be no cleans whatsoever, or would you have to make leeway for x amount of cleans, and then how lenient can you be etc.

As for the rest... I see nothing at fault.

[quote name='John A. Zoidberg' timestamp='1322857859' post='5680982']
I know I'm late, but RIP Snowing.
[/quote]
I know man, I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted and f*** Your Emotional Bullshit is so much fun to listen to.

[quote name='Evil Tristan' timestamp='1322861465' post='5681120']
Wait... people think screamo's a genre and not just a type of vocal, y'know like its original meaning was? People have misused it so much that it's apparently become a music genre instead of just a vocal genre even though you can't give it its own specific area in the genre world, due to the fact that it's just parts of other genres to the point that the sound variance would be so great it'd be stupid to include some of the bands in the genre, even though they'd technically fit it.

If you wanted to make screamo a genre it would cover such a huge range of areas of genres. Then there's the "strict" definition as to where you count it as screamo. Would it be no cleans whatsoever, or would you have to make leeway for x amount of cleans, and then how lenient can you be etc.

[/quote]
Vocals? screamo is basically what they call the 90's emo. Though this band are heavier, with faster tempo than your average emo bands, so you can say that they derive from emo. Emo itself is hardcore but screamo is a style of emo influenced by hardcore punk with brief compositions, chaotic execution, and more screaming vocals that your average emo bands.

But it depends really because there's two crowd that you can agreed on. Once is a group of people that believes that Emo and Screamo is two different aspect of music that's very similar to each other as one derive from the other. The second group of people believes that Emo and Screamo are basically the same thing with the other being heavier than the other and compile them in one group called Skramz. Both are correct btw. Also, the word SKRAMZ would normally be used by both of these two crowds to avoid any misleading by idiots who thinks screamo is just anything with scream, ignorant metalheads who emo are those mentally depress bands that makes depress music, Any scene kids that thought Silverstein, Asking Alexandria or A Skylit Drive as a screamo bands and even if these scene kids understand that the 3 bands mention aren't screamo but basically just your generic post hardcore/metalcore band, the word skramz is also use so that these scene kids wont neg to us about how screamo never exist since almost all the heavy music scene have scream in them.

[/quote]

False.

It's not a type of vocals, it is a genre. As previously mentioned, it's a genre of 'hardcore punk' that was derived from, as also previously mentioned, 90's emo. It's a great genre. The term is just horribly misused.

What you're thinking of is "scream vocals" which IS the term to describe one that uses screaming vocals (oh, duh), whereas screamo is an actual genre. There's no such real thing as "screamo vocals."

[/quote]

[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/eOZNt.gif[/img][/center]
[center]Screamo isn't about screaming vocals only. The two comment above me already explain why you're wrong so I'll just do this instead to show why you're wrong.[/center]

[center]This is what you dig:[/center]
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRC6r-BBag[/media][/center]

[center]So of course you don't know this music exist:[/center]
[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0CfaXJSqeA[/media][/center]

Archived