[Leaderboard] Finished. Zextra vs Aix

Zextra

Rules:
• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 11:59 PST on June 18th.
• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning

Requirements:
Make a much-needed boss monster for an undersupported Archetype

Prize:
1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:
Each successful vote earns the voter a rep!

Scoreboard:
Aix: 1

Zextra: 3

Aix's Card

Venus, the Mesmerizing Maneater

[EARTH/Rank 4/Plant/Xyz/Effect]

2 Level 4 monsters

This card is unaffected by other card effects while it has a "Mesmerizing Maneater" monster attached to it as Xyz Material. When a "Hole" or "Trap Hole" Normal Trap Card, except "Dark Trap Hole", is activated, this card gains 500 ATK and DEF until your next End Phase. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material and activate 1 "Hole" or "Trap Hole" Normal Trap Card, except "Dark Trap Hole", in your Graveyard, if the timing is correct, by shuffling it into your Deck.

ATK/ 2000 DEF/ 2000

Zextra's Card

8nt.png

Effect:

2 Level 4 LIGHT monsters

When you Summon an "Arcana Force" monster: Choose which effect to apply without tossing a coin. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; target 1 “Arcana Force” monster you control. Toss a coin and the targeted monster gains the approptiate effect until the End Phase: • Heads: When the targeted monster destroys a monster by battle: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower“Arcana Force” monster from your hand or Graveyard. • Tails: When the targeted monster destroys a monster by battle: Draw 1 card.

Both cards are pretty decent, and I would say both are good for their respective Archetypes. They both use their respective archetype's signature concept, utilizing trap holes in Maneaters, and the coin flip theme with Arcana Force. the Maneater card allows for the reusing of the deck's trap engine, which is good.

On the other hand, the Arcana boss monster presents a consistent Light Barrier, which is something the deck really, really needs. And for the other effect, I guess that some on this site would argue that its coin flip benefits are too good, but for a deck like Arcana Forces, whose potential is limited and luck based, that's hardly a problem.

Tough decision - but while both cards are good and solid, I vote the Arcana Force for giving a bigger boost to the deck; Arcana Forces could possibly become competitive if they had it.

I find Card A to be kind of cheap, as it both acts like support, but also make it regain your BTHs and other good Trap Hole cards. The fact that's it's also useful in other Decks is nice, but I can't say I find it that fair, and it really doesn't boost the Archetype as well as card B does. While card B supports them greatly, it also makes them kind of extreamly cheap. There's plenty good Arcana effects, and being able to get which you want can become powerful as heck. On a 2400/2400 body, that's easily Summonable with cards like Photon Lead. The fact that it is able to get out more Level 4s, means you can manage to create the powerful Arcanas quite easily, that said, investing so you can actually bring it out can become hard, but it's easier than it would be before. I'm voting for card A, as I find card B does too much for it's own good.

Card A:

A very suitable approach to the archetype. It fits the bill perfect for what I would imagine their Xyz Monster would look like, so very well done. It not only recycles the Trap Holes, which can sometimes be needed to stay in the game for the archetype, but also makes your opponent very cautious to play while he is on the field, which nearly always ends with your opponent losing. I love mind games like this, where your opponent knows what will happen if they make a certain play, and their not sure if they should go ahead and get it out of the way or wait for another way to answer it. This card was very well designed, and I wouldn't mind it being released as a real card to support the Maneaters. I love that it is generic, also, so decks that Main Deck Bottomless could go into it when there is a dead Bottomless in their graveyard, if they're really scared of an opponent Summoning to strong of a monster.

Card B:

Very nice naming, also a perfect support to the archetype. The first effect is the main attraction of the card, which I like, and the second effect is somewhat creative. This card creates amazing synergy with Chariot, but not much else. It could be a standalone generic LIGHT, provided you're confident of flipping a Tails. I like how it is basically guaranteed to work only in Arcana Force. Not to much else to say about it.

Despite the fact I said more about Card A then Card B, I really love both and feel their both great approaches. This is what happens when two good cardmakers square off, though >< It is a rather difficult decision, so since the conditions were to support an undersupported archetype, I feel Card B does it better, despite Card A being more to my liking as a whole.

So, my vote is for Card B.

While I do like both, card A worries Me a bit, in the sense that one could easily just toss it out of thin air, and gain field control over those 1-2 Bottomless' you had in your Graveyard. I mean, at the same time it disregards Storm/Typhoon plays, as it's just going to recycle them anyway, and even get some extra mileage out of it.
Plus, if you think about it, with Venus; Bottomless Trap Hole gets used twice in a single turn. Not to mention, if its played trough something like Summoner Monk, this basically forces the Opponent to set off said Bottomless, and if played right, will win the game on the grounds it stands.
I could be just sounding paranoid, but Venus just look a little too crazy. Judge can at least be a short draw engine off actually playing the game, and I always liked cards like Horn of the Phantom Beast anyway.

So yea, I'm voting Card B/Judge.

Archived