[Shinigami Archetype] Reposted and continued

The Nyx Avatar

[spoiler=Show Monsters]
nSFFTLE.jpg

LORE:During the turn this card was Normal Summoned, you can Normal Summon 1 "Shinigami" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

WfCkoAx.jpg

LORE:When this card is Special Summoned, you can banish 1 card from your opponent's Graveyard. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

rtymG9M.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Shinigami" monster from your hand. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects.

l0BtUys.jpg

LORE:While you control a face-up "Shinigami" monster with a different name, you can Special Summon this card from your hand.

S1AkxNS.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned, you can banish the bottom card of your opponent's Deck. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

xq5tSaB.jpg

LORE:You can banish 2 cards from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can inflict 800 damage to your opponent.

iUmRkJV.jpg

LORE:During either player's turn, if your opponent Special Summoned a monster, you can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard during the End Phase of that turn. This card cannot be used as an Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon.

4FsZJza.jpg

LORE:When this card is Special Summoned, you can banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

MkB99VC.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. This card cannot declare an attack the turn you activate this effect.

3dqYtSO.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned, your opponent selects a card in their Deck and banishes it; the Deck is then shuffled. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

IFEOce3.jpg

LORE:When a "Shinigami" monster you control is destroyed, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can target 1 monster in your opponent's Graveyard; Special Summon it to your side of the field. It cannot declare an attack.

mIJqCCO.jpg

LORE:When your opponent Special Summons a monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, then target your opponent's Special Summoned monster; halve its ATK and DEF. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field.

BlFQfeD.jpg

LORE:While you control a face-up "Shinigami" monster with a different name, you can pay 1000 Life Points; Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned (except by its own effect): You can banish the top card of your opponent's Deck. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

1pQa77q.jpg

LORE:When this card is Normal Summoned: You can banish 1 card in your Graveyard to Special Summon 1 "Shinigami" monster with a different name from your hand; it is destroyed during the End Phase. Once per turn, you can target 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; this card's Level becomes the Level of that monster until the End Phase.

lZ1DWs9.jpg

LORE:Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Shinigami" monster from your Graveyard; activate 1 of the following effects:
● This card gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase.
● This card's Level becomes that card's Level and can be treated as a Tuner monster.
● This card gains that monster's effect(s).

RoOpCCt.png

Pendulum Effect:You cannot Summon or Set monsters except "Shinigami" monsters. This effect cannot be negated. Fiend-Type monsters on the field gain 300 ATK and DEF.

Monster Effect:When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Shinigami" monster with a different name from your Graveyard or face-up from your Extra Deck to your hand. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can target 1 face-up monster on the field; halve that target's ATK.

4puUywa.png

Pendulum Effect:Warrior-Type monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF. During either player's turn: When your opponent activates a card effect from their Graveyard, you can destroy this card; negate the effect.

Monster Effect:While your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon this card from your hand; then you can negate the effect of 1 face-up card on the field until the End Phase.

[spoiler=Show Spell Cards]
G4Ig2Vo.jpg

LORE:Add 1 "Shinigami" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Shingami Recruitment" once per turn.

HUcRai0.jpg

LORE:Target 1 Level 4 or Lower "Shinigami" monster you control; until the End Phase, it gains ATK and DEF equal to half its original ATK and DEF and it is unaffected by other card effects. You can only activate 1 "Shinigami's Gift" once per turn.

PUvdTWw.jpg

LORE:Activate while your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters. Special Summon any number of "Shinigami" monsters from your Graveyard, and if you do, pay 800 Life Points for each one. You can only activate 1 "Shinigami Condolence" once per turn.

[spoiler=Show Trap Cards]
P0nwp9o.jpg

LORE:Add up to 2 of your banished "Shinigami" monsters to your hand. If your opponent declares a direct attack, you can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 banished "Shinigami" monster. You can only activate 1 "Rhapsody of Shinigami" once per turn.

Vhobgh7.jpg

LORE:When your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card: Banish 1 "Shinigami" monster you control; negate the activation and destroy the card. You can only activate 1 "Shingami's Punishment" once per turn.

7Kqxewo.jpg

LORE:Activate when your opponent Special Summons a monster while you control a "Shinigami" monster. Negate the Summon and banish the card. You can only activate 1 "Shinigami Shatter" once per turn. During your Draw Phase: You can pay 1000 Life Points; add this card from your Graveyard to your hand, instead of conducting your Normal Draw.

[spoiler=Show Synchro Monsters]
1gq6bRy.jpg

LORE:1 LIGHT Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Synchro Monster on the field and 1 Tuner monster in either player's Graveyard. Monsters cannot activate their effects in response to being sent to the Graveyard.

CIOLjCx.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Ritual Monster or 1 Pendulum Monster on the field. When your opponent would Special Summon a monster, you can Tribute this card: Negate the Special Summon, and if you do, destroy it. If you do, neither player can activate other card effects in the Graveyard until your next Standby Phase.

v3J3862.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Xyz Monster on the field and its Xyz Materials; this card cannot declare an attack the turn you activate this effect. While this card remains face-up on the field, negate all card effects that activate in your opponent's Graveyard.

NVhIPgW.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Fusion Monster on the field and target 1 monster in either player's Graveyard; equip that target to this card. If this card would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy that equipped monster instead. While this card is in your Graveyard, negate all monster effects that activate when they are sent to the Graveyard.

DkUXc5k.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Special Summoned Monster on the field and inflict 800 damage to your opponent. While this card is face-up on the field, any monster sent to your opponent's Graveyard is banished instead.

WN4WjII.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Synchro or Xyz Monster on the field, then increase this card's ATK and DEF by 500. While this card is face-up on the field, negate all monster effects that activate in the Graveyard.

oqHNaLJ.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 Fusion, Ritual, or Pendulum Monster on the field, then draw 1 card. While this card is face-up on the field, negate the effects of monsters that are banished or are in the Graveyard.

SAtU4vC.jpg

When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish 1 monster on the field, then destroy 1 Spell/Trap card on the field. Negate the effects of your opponent's monsters that are banished or in the Graveyard; you must pay 1000 Life Points during each of your End Phases or this effect is negated.

1NfkgrN.jpg

LORE:1 LIGHT Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
Must be Synchro Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish all other monsters on the field; you cannot declare an attack the turn you activate this effect. You cannot Summon any monsters while you control this card. Your opponent takes no damage from battles involving this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, you can pay 800 Life Points; any monster this card destroys by battle is banished, instead of being sent to the Graveyard.

8AHNklW.jpg

LORE:1 LIGHT Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters
Must be Synchro Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can banish up to two cards on the field. You cannot Summon other monsters while you control this card. Neither player can activate card effects in the Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card would be destroyed, you can pay 1000 Life Points instead.

A really cool theme between Warrior-Type monsters and Fiend-Type monsters. The monsters seem pretty balanced and the spells are okay. The traps are decent although the last effect of "Rhapsody of Shinigami" should probably say either, "You can only use 1 "Rhapsody of Shinigami" effect per turn, and only once that turn." OR, "You can only use each effect of "Rhapsody of Shinigami" once per turn."

Now for the Synchro Monsters. First of all they look great. However the first Synchro Monster "Shinigami Innocence" basically locks your own monster effects too that activate in the Graveyard and your opponent's especially if they're playing "Yang Zings". Understandable at that small level for balancing and is easily accessible with Sumire and Titania. But then there is Purge who can be Synchro Summoned with any of your Level 1 and Ruby (Since she can easily SS herself by banishing ANY 2 cards from your Graveyard). OK atk for 2100 and def being 1700 but it can banish 1 Xyz and all its material on the field, plus it does NOT target, allowing it to bypass "Cannot be targeted and destroyed by card effects". Then if any other monsters he has in the Graveyard that would be able to protect that monster, like "Bujins", are no longer usable as long as this 1 card is face-up. This basically locks Bujins brick hard as they need their Graveyard for a lot of support. Combo this with Deep Sleep and most Decks will break and be unable to make any plays, making this, IMO, a more anti-meta deck. Moving on, Grace allows for 1 banish, again not targeting, and then you get a draw, which is a plus plus for you (unless you decide to banish 1 of your own Pendulums) all just for Synchro Summoning it. But is a good thing its only for Synchro Summoning it because that denies a loop from regularly SS it, including all other of the Synchros. But I swear, with Cowardice, you can basically run through your Level 4-6 Synchros and get all their plus effects, assuming your opponent cannot stop them. Either OPT the SS effect or have a cost to it, better if its OPT though. Wrath and Justice are harder to get out so they seem to be good staying strong although it only requires 1 LIGHT Tuner and 2 or more generic non-Tuner monsters.

Also the fact that the Level 1 "Shinigami" monsters all have the effect to change their Level to a different one based on the targeted "Shinigami" monster allows them to Xyz into any Xyz monster that they can except Rank 2, 7 (thank goodness for that since those are IMO the most broken, for example "Big Eye"), and anything above 9 since you can no longer summon with those "Shinigami" Synchros with that Level and beyond. Basically they have the opportunity to Xyz into really good generic ones like Number 101: Silent Honor ARK.

Overall the Main Deck doesn't look broken, excluding Cowardice, until you get to some of the Synchros since they can clear some parts of the field. This is a deck I would run, because it doesnt look too linear, and because the fact it can be anti-meta (yeah I want to lock down some Nekroz and break some Lightsworn plays too). Only problem as stated is it ranges from good to overpowered and completely abusable. But otherwise its an pretty well-built set. (Also if you're wondering how I'm looking at this set in a contradicting way, it's because I'm looking at it from a player's Pov, which to my friends are just usually how good a deck can be, and a critical way, which is how I usually view things.)

A really cool theme between Warrior-Type monsters and Fiend-Type monsters. The monsters seem pretty balanced and the spells are okay. The traps are decent although the last effect of "Rhapsody of Shinigami" should probably say either, "You can only use 1 "Rhapsody of Shinigami" effect per turn, and only once that turn." OR, "You can only use each effect of "Rhapsody of Shinigami" once per turn."

Now for the Synchro Monsters. First of all they look great. However the first Synchro Monster "Shinigami Innocence" basically locks your own monster effects too that activate in the Graveyard and your opponent's especially if they're playing "Yang Zings". Understandable at that small level for balancing and is easily accessible with Sumire and Titania. But then there is Purge who can be Synchro Summoned with any of your Level 1 and Ruby (Since she can easily SS herself by banishing ANY 2 cards from your Graveyard). OK atk for 2100 and def being 1700 but it can banish 1 Xyz and all its material on the field, plus it does NOT target, allowing it to bypass "Cannot be targeted and destroyed by card effects". Then if any other monsters he has in the Graveyard that would be able to protect that monster, like "Bujins", are no longer usable as long as this 1 card is face-up. This basically locks Bujins brick hard as they need their Graveyard for a lot of support. Combo this with Deep Sleep and most Decks will break and be unable to make any plays, making this, IMO, a more anti-meta deck. Moving on, Grace allows for 1 banish, again not targeting, and then you get a draw, which is a plus plus for you (unless you decide to banish 1 of your own Pendulums) all just for Synchro Summoning it. But is a good thing its only for Synchro Summoning it because that denies a loop from regularly SS it, including all other of the Synchros. But I swear, with Cowardice, you can basically run through your Level 4-6 Synchros and get all their plus effects, assuming your opponent cannot stop them. Either OPT the SS effect or have a cost to it, better if its OPT though. Wrath and Justice are harder to get out so they seem to be good staying strong although it only requires 1 LIGHT Tuner and 2 or more generic non-Tuner monsters.

Also the fact that the Level 1 "Shinigami" monsters all have the effect to change their Level to a different one based on the targeted "Shinigami" monster allows them to Xyz into any Xyz monster that they can except Rank 2, 7 (thank goodness for that since those are IMO the most broken, for example "Big Eye"), and anything above 9 since you can no longer summon with those "Shinigami" Synchros with that Level and beyond. Basically they have the opportunity to Xyz into really good generic ones like Number 101: Silent Honor ARK.

Overall the Main Deck doesn't look broken, excluding Cowardice, until you get to some of the Synchros since they can clear some parts of the field. This is a deck I would run, because it doesnt look too linear, and because the fact it can be anti-meta (yeah I want to lock down some Nekroz and break some Lightsworn plays too). Only problem as stated is it ranges from good to overpowered and completely abusable. But otherwise its an pretty well-built set. (Also if you're wondering how I'm looking at this set in a contradicting way, it's because I'm looking at it from a player's Pov, which to my friends are just usually how good a deck can be, and a critical way, which is how I usually view things.)

Thank you. I appretiate the feedback. Added a cost to the effect of "Shinigami Cowardice" and added "Shinigami Peacekeeper" to the archetype. Also, the original reasons I made the archetype were for two reasons: I noticed a significant number of Graveyard-dependent/triggering effects, and more since the rise of "Shaddoll" and "Burning Abyss". Just about everything under the sun seemed to have a Graveyard effect. I figured in hindering such dependence (especially with archetypes that abused Graveyard effects much more). I also wanted to make an archetype for shinigamis, since Konami hasn't made one, and it is one of my favorite supernatural creatures/beings. I made the Extra Deck monsters all Synchro Monsters because that is the Extra Deck monster I favor most.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this archetype, but I'd be careful about turning Effect Monsters into Synchro Monsters. On Justice and Wrath, you kept the clause saying "This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set." As we both know, Synchro Monsters cannot be Normal Summoned. Might wanna keep an eye on that. Other than that, killin' archetype! I simply love the control theme of this archetype and I think that it is very balanced compared to what the cards could be. So, for that, 10/10.

I really like this archetype, but I'd be careful about turning Effect Monsters into Synchro Monsters. On Justice and Wrath, you kept the clause saying "This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set." As we both know, Synchro Monsters cannot be Normal Summoned. Might wanna keep an eye on that. Other than that, killin' archetype! I simply love the control theme of this archetype and I think that it is very balanced compared to what the cards could be. So, for that, 10/10.

Thank you. I saw an overabundance of Graveyard effects (Shaddoll, Burning Abyss, Harpie, ect.), and wanted to make an archetype to work against that specific criteria. And what being more fitting for restoring order of the Graveyard than a shinigami? Also, thanks for pointing out the "This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set." Being Synchro Monsters, I should have figured it's pretty obvious they can do neither. Removed that part of the effect.

Archived