Royal Oppression Errata

When this card is activated: Send all other face-up monsters you control to the Graveyard. Either player can pay 800 Life Points to negate the Special Summon of a monster(s), and/or an effect that Special Summons a monster(s), and destroy those cards. You can only use this effect of "Royal Oppression" once per turn

1) Removes the "spam and flip" play-style with oppression, can something like Omega dodge it? Sure but that seems niche. Also it could be used to dodge veiler I guess :3

2) OPT so it's not like you get 5 warnings a turn

I appreciate the idea of revitalizing older, more mechanically broken cards to actually see play. However, I have a couple of gripes w/ this iteration:
1) Sending all face-up monsters to the Graveyard is pretty brutal an activation requirement. Its already a heavy enough cost to give your opponent a summoning negation, so sending all your monsters, then locking yourself from your own Special Summons via any card effects from the sent monsters, is incredibly risky. True, it doesn't have a drawback if you control only Pendulum Monsters (since they legally can't be sent to the Graveyard while face-up on the field), but that isn't really good enough to warrent running in every Pendulum deck.

2) You can only activate the summon effect OPT, but your opponent is free to use it however many times they feel like. This completely demolishes its utility as a flood gate, and makes it a significantly worse card than most Counter Traps. In most case senarios, I don't want to only negate 1 summoning, then turn to my next turn with no monsters on-board, and my opponent can negate any of my summonings for free.

Perhaps if it didn't have any activation restrictions, and it gave a OPT to both players or something along those lines. Even then, it'd be a worse Solemn Warning, Solemn Strike, Grand Horn, or other forms of direct Summoning Negation. It's a pretty poorly designed card to begin with, so it'd be difficult to find another interesting way to re-design its mechanic to be fair.

:444812_key: ~

I appreciate the idea of revitalizing older, more mechanically broken cards to actually see play. However, I have a couple of gripes w/ this iteration:

1) Sending all face-up monsters to the Graveyard is pretty brutal an activation requirement. Its already a heavy enough cost to give your opponent a summoning negation, so sending all your monsters, then locking yourself from your own Special Summons via any card effects from the sent monsters, is incredibly risky.

2) You can only activate the summon effect OPT, but your opponent is free to use it however many times they feel like. This completely demolishes its utility as a flood gate, and makes it a significantly worse card than most Counter Traps. In most case senarios, I don't want to only negate 1 summoning, then turn to my next turn with no monsters on-board, and my opponent can negate any of my summonings for free.

Perhaps if it didn't have any activation restrictions, and it gave a OPT to both players or something along those lines. Even then, it'd be a worse Solemn Warning, Solemn Strike, Grand Horn, or other forms of direct Summoning Negation. It's a pretty poorly designed card to begin with, so it'd be difficult to find another interesting way to re-design its mechanic to be fair.

Sending your board to grave is not a cost, if this version of RO gets mst your field stays.

My question to this would be: is it necessary to control a monster to activate it anyways?

On the side note, Mayor is right both players should have the hard OPT, is not fair to give up all your board so your opponent doesnt let you play yugioh basically

Sending your board to grave is not a cost, if this version of RO gets mst your field stays.

My question to this would be: is it necessary to control a monster to activate it anyways?

On the side note, Mayor is right both players should have the hard OPT, is not fair to give up all your board so your opponent doesnt let you play yugioh basically

Sorry, my bad, it's an effect and not cost. Still, my reasoning behind this still stands. And yes, it is absolutely necessary for some decks to keep monsters on-board, especially if this card only offers 1 Summoning negation

1) Sending all face-up monsters to the Graveyard is pretty brutal an activation requirement. Its already a heavy enough cost to give your opponent a summoning negation, so sending all your monsters, then locking yourself from your own Special Summons via any card effects from the sent monsters, is incredibly risky. True, it doesn't have a drawback if you control only Pendulum Monsters (since they legally can't be sent to the Graveyard while face-up on the field), but that isn't really good enough to warrent running in every Pendulum deck.

How about face up special summoned monsters? Or just have L1T's requirements?

Also, I wasn't sure how to OCG the OPT for both players, which is why I didn't really do it

I thiink the PSCT for the OPT would be 「Each player can only use this effect of "Royal Oppression" once per turn.」. But yes, as said before changing the drawback to a condition would be a good idea. L1Ts is probably the easiest and meshes nicely with the card negating Special Summons. You could also change the drawback to 「Send all Special Summoned monsters you control to the Graveyard」, but that comes with it's own share of problems.

To touch on the original design, it sending only face-up monsters also means FLIP decks can use it interestingly, albeit not seamlessly. Also you don't need the "other" in the line about sending monsters- Since the card itself is not a monster (and thus not relevant to the effect), the only time that would be relevant would be if a monster somehow copied its effect.

Archived