(Written) Dem Water Fairies Tho (The Cryosphere Archetype)

Fukato

I don't know if there is a WATER Fairy archetype yet so hey why not?!

[spoiler=Monsters]

Aegis of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 900 DEF: 2000

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can change this card to Defense Position, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower WATER or Fairy-Type monster from your Deck.

Maiden of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 1300 DEF: 1000

Effect: If you control a face-up "Cyrosphere" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, while you control another face-up Defense Position monster: You can target 1 monster on the field; change it to Defense Position, and if you do, its DEF becomes 0.

Warden of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 1400 DEF: 1200

Effect: If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 WATER monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Warden of the Cryosphere" once per turn. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 monster on the field; negate its effect and change it to Defense Position.

Descendant of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3 Tuner

ATK: 300 DEF: 1800

Effect: Once per turn: You can send 1 "Cryosphere" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, halve the DEF all Defense Position monsters your opponent controls.

Abyss of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 5

ATK: 2100 DEF: 800

Effect: During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Defense Position monster on the field; its effects are negated. During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it, and keep it revealed until the Main Phase; Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower WATER monster from your Graveyard.

Frost of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 5

ATK: 1900 DEF: 2000

Effect: During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Defense Position monster on the field; its effects are negated. During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it, and keep it revealed until the Main Phase; Special Summon 1 of your banished Level 5 or lower WATER monsters.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

The Cryosphere Kynes

WATER Fairy Level 6 Synchro

ATK: 2300 DEF: 2000

Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can change all monsters your opponent controls to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, their DEF is halved. This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.

The Cryosphere Hitro

WATER Fairy Level 8 Synchro

ATK: 2600 DEF: 2500

If a monster you control attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict double piercing battle damage to your opponent. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; your opponent's Defense Position monster's effects are negated until the end of the next turn.

The Cryosphere Innua

ATK: 1500 DEF: 2300

Effect: 1 "Cryosphere" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can add "Cryo" cards from your Deck to your hand up to the number of Defens Position monsters your opponent controls, then you take 500 damage for each card added this way. This card gains 500 ATK for each WATER monsters you control.

The Cryosphere Luugh

ATK: 2500 DEF: 2200

Cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can target 1 Defense Position monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the end of the turn, and if you do, it can attack directly this turn.

[spoiler=Spells]

Cyrogenic Holosphere

Field Spell

Effect: Your opponent cannot switch Defense Position monsters they control to Attack Position, except by card effect. When a monster is Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position. You can destroy 1 other card you control; draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Cryogenic Holosphere" once per turn.

Revenants of the Cryogenic Holosphere

Continuous Spell

Effect: Your opponent cannot activate monster effects from the hand or Graveyard while they control a Defense Position monster. All "Cryosphere" monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects while your opponent controls a Defense Position monster.

Freeze of the Cryogenic Holosphere

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Change 1 monster on the field to Defense Position, and if you control a face-up "Cryosphere" monster, add 1 "Cryogenic" or 1 "Cryosphere" card from your Deck to your hand.

Hypothermia of the Cryogenic Holosphere

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Destroy 1 face-up Defense Position monster your opponent controls, and if you control face-up "Cryosphere" monster, Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Cryosphere" monster from your Graveyard. You can only use the effect of "Hypothermia of the Cryogenic Holosphere" once per turn.

Cryostasis

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Discard 1 card, destroy all Defense Position monsters your opponent controls. If your opponent declares a direct attack while this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; switch all monsters your opponent controls to Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Cryostasis" once per turn.

I'm a newb, so all of the following is just my personal, potentially completely nonsensical/wrong opinion (but I hope I could help):

Interesting. The base mechanic is simple enough, get everything in defense position. As this archetype does so not only with its opponents, but also its own monsters, both players are affected by the downsides of this position. Good.

The archetype seems to rely on

1) rendering the opponents monsters useless as beatsticks by putting them into defense position

2) lowering the defense of those monsters, enabling their destruction by battle when the pressence of those monsters on the field appears to be a threat

3) negating the effects of those monsters, thus greatly reducing the potential danger they may represent

In doing so, certain decks will see their field filled with entirely useless cards and loose to cards like Luugh, others will not be able to deal damage with their beatsticks, ...

all in all, the focus lies heavily on dealing with monsters and their effects, which this archetype doess pretty well, however it is weak against traps and spells... Revenants helps a bit against this, not too much, but not to a negligible extent either, which is great.

Abyss and Frost allow reviving cards to keep up some presence on the field, but could make use of a card that shuffles monsters back into the deck...

- looks up Moray of greed -

well, this definitely helps.

Ah, there seem to be some problems with some of the cards effects (just a few words missing):

The Cryosphere Innua:

You can add "Cryo" cards up to the number of Defens Position monsters your opponent controls, then you take 500 damage for each card added this way. <- add from where?

Perhaps: You can add up "Cryo" cards from you "" to your hand, up to the number of Defens Position monsters your opponent controls, then you take 500 damage for each card added this way. ?

Abyss and Frost:

During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it, and keep it revealed until the Main Phase; Special Summon 1 of your banished Level 5 or lower WATER monster.

The wording seems strange. Perhaps just copy'n paste the way golden ladybub is worded?  (ah, and "monster" should be "monsters", since it is "one of your ..." there should be a plural after that.

->

During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it to Special Summon 1 of your banished Level 5 or lower WATER monsters. If you do this, this card remains revealed while it is in your hand, until the (beginning of the next) Main Phase.

As this does increase the length of the effect, not sure if this is better this way...

All in all, I like this archetype, fitting its element (ice, freeze, controll...).

I don't know if there is a WATER Fairy archetype yet so hey why not?!

[spoiler=Monsters]

Aegis of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 900 DEF: 2000

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can change this card to Defense Position, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower WATER or Fairy-Type monster from your Deck.

Maiden of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 1300 DEF: 1000

Effect: If you control a face-up "Cyrosphere" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, while you control another face-up Defense Position monster: You can target 1 monster on the field; change it to Defense Position, and if you do, its DEF becomes 0.

Warden of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3

ATK: 1400 DEF: 1200

Effect: If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 WATER monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Warden of the Cryosphere" once per turn. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 monster on the field; negate its effect and change it to Defense Position.

Descendant of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 3 Tuner

ATK: 300 DEF: 1800

Effect: Once per turn: You can send 1 "Cryosphere" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, halve the DEF all Defense Position monsters your opponent controls.

Abyss of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 5

ATK: 2100 DEF: 800

Effect: During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Defense Position monster on the field; its effects are negated. During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it, and keep it revealed until the Main Phase; Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower WATER monster from your Graveyard.

Frost of the Cryosphere

WATER Fairy Level 5

ATK: 1900 DEF: 2000

Effect: During either player's turn: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 Defense Position monster on the field; its effects are negated. During your Draw Phase, if you draw this card: You can reveal it, and keep it revealed until the Main Phase; Special Summon 1 of your banished Level 5 or lower WATER monsters.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

The Cryosphere Kynes

ATK: 2300 DEF: 2000

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can change all monsters your opponent controls to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, their DEF is halved. This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.

The Cryosphere Hitro

ATK: 2600 DEF: 2500

If a monster you control attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict double piercing battle damage to your opponent. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; your opponent's Defense Position monster's effects are negated until the end of the next turn.

The Cryosphere Innua

ATK: 1500 DEF: 2300

Effect: 1 "Cryosphere" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can add "Cryo" cards from your Deck to your hand up to the number of Defens Position monsters your opponent controls, then you take 500 damage for each card added this way. This card gains 500 ATK for each WATER monsters you control.

The Cryosphere Luugh

ATK: 2500 DEF: 2200

Cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can target 1 Defense Position monster your opponent controls; take control of it until the end of the turn, and if you do, it can attack directly this turn.

[spoiler=Spells]

Cyrogenic Holosphere

Field Spell

Effect: Your opponent cannot switch Defense Position monsters they control to Attack Position, except by card effect. When a monster is Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position. You can destroy 1 other card you control; draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Cryogenic Holosphere" once per turn.

Revenants of the Cryogenic Holosphere

Continuous Spell

Effect: Your opponent cannot activate monster effects from the hand or Graveyard while they control a Defense Position monster. All "Cryosphere" monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects while your opponent controls a Defense Position monster.

Freeze of the Cryogenic Holosphere

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Change 1 monster on the field to Defense Position, and if you control a face-up "Cryosphere" monster, add 1 "Cryogenic" or 1 "Cryosphere" card from your Deck to your hand.

(Placeholder for review. Work in progress~)

• 1 month later...

Due to a long period of absence, I might as well as start off from scratch again.

Aegis: Looking at this card made me a little uneasy off the bat. Graydle Slime and Uranus are also valid targets for this card. Sure, it's a Level 3 that can only apply it's effect upon the Normal Summon. However, it means it makes an easy Synchro 8 off the bat, or you call Sync 7 for Clear Wing. Of course, there is also the option of being a instant R3 engine by SSing itself from the Deck, or another Level 3. I'll take a look at the rest of the archetypes before coming back to this card.

Maiden: So this cards support the R3 engine as well. The OPT effect seems fine too imo. I'll see if the Summoning might require a hard OPT on it after I look at the rest. It's pretty helpful in order to run over stronger monsters, albeit not so effective against Kozmo ships. PK Fire and all of those variations are a little more harder to determine effectiveness with all of their float effects. I personally believe that it's not too effective, but it's fine since you have other cards in the archetype that would probably resolve this issue.

Warden: Seems like something you can do with this archetype and Mermails with that first effect imo. OPT effect negation seems average, nothing too outstanding in either good or bad. If there's no card in the archetype that would capitalize on its first effect, then It may be more or less another Calcab for BA's.

Descendent: Obviously, the foolish effect must be setting some play up. However, if all the monsters your opponent controls are in attack position, then halving the DEF seems redundant. I hope you have a card that makes this effect more useful. The only Tuner in the archetype as well, so it'll be relied upon a lot I guess.

Abyss: A really good card, a bit reliant like RUM The Seventh One for the second effect, but the quick effect negation is ridiculously useful if you can continuously force your opponent's monsters in DEF position. The SS of a Level 5 or lower water can be really good with Mermails as well, but this card's main target seems to be Warden. You could try to increase the flavour by having the synergy between Abyss and Warden more by rennaming, but I'm just looking at basic mechanics for now.

Frost: So this one is also correlated with Abyss. Of course, the effect negation is restricted to DEF Position monsters. Secondary effect is specified to Abyss only from what I see, but maybe the other cards can make this card's second effect more useful.

Kynes: Well, that's certainly a useful Kozmo killer if it happens to stay on the field long enough after being Summoned. Kynes seems to make Descendant's effect a bit obsolete as they both seem to repeat a same effect. You can perhaps give a different effect to descendant in order to make it more viable, like it can give a Cyrosphere piercing or something (Bad example). If it's already given to another card, ignore my previous comment then. Perhaps you can think of a different effect that is related.

Hitro: Yep, disregard my previous comment on giving Descendant piercing. It's still okay to keep it the way it is if you can't think anything else to give it. Back to Hitro, it's a hard hitter, and the secondary effect could be useful in making sure that the attack lands successfully. It's fine.

Innua: Lol, looks like Concealing Lights is going to be a thing again. But yeah, this thing is ridiculously good in replenishing your hand. Like playing one Ojama Trio and Synchroing this thing instantly nets you 3 cards, but 1500 damage. Perhaps it may be better to add some other limitation on it, but I'll look back at this one once I finish the rest.

Luugh: This one is also a bit debatable. Generic Synchro that can't be destroyed by battle and can take control of an opponent's monster until the end of the turn, and that it can attack directly. Like Innua, I'll look back on this card later.

Holosphere: Seems a little too powerful. Each effect should be limited to a hard OPT in my opinion. In a Deck like Yang Zing or Pendulums, this card is ridiculously good for continually keeping your opponent's monsters in DEF unless they can Twin Twister it. This is aside from it's +1 effect.This can basically act a substitute Chicken Game imo, which isn't very good considering the latter is banned.

Revenants: Kills a lot of meta decks by preventing effects from activating from the Graveyard, but seems a little broken because Holosphere is too powerful. If you nerf Holosphere, this card should be fine where it is.

Freeze: Since Innua is already a powerful searcher, making this just as equally powerful wouldn't make sense. Add a restriction that it can't search itself would balance this card, or otherwise it'd be borderline broken with some of the other cards in the set. 

Hypothermia: Already searchable by Freeze, it's really good at maintaining the synchro plays from what I see. Already hard OPT'ed, so it's fine there.

Cryostatis: This thing's second effect is more useful since a lot of these cards rely on the opponent's cards to be in DEF position. First effect seems okay too, but it's the second eff being the gem in this case.

After reading through everything, I'd recommend Lugh being archtype specfic by adding a Cryo Tuner to its Summoning requirements. Everything else feels fine, but if you're paranoid, Kynes does feel that it should be archetype Specific too considering it's a Sync 6 that can wipe an opponent's monster field clean if its effects are able to resolve successfully.

Sorry for being so late.

Archived