炎帝龍 ボーテックス・テンペスト 「Toyo's Daily Cards 2/30」

So, for the second day I thought I'd keep away from Synchros, just to vary things up a bit. The design idea behind this card came from, pretty obviously, Vortex Dragonewt's ”Trinity Crimson Flare". And, at the time, 2099 lacked REFMD, so this was made as a substitute. That said,I think this is sufficiently different enough from REFMD to be considered it's own thing, so here. we. go~!

ExncG4L.jpg

”It’s useless. The flames of purgatory will not stop until even the heavens are turned into ash."

[spoiler=Stats]

Flame Emperor Dragon, Vortex Tempest

FIRE/Dragon/Xyz Rank 7 2700/1000

2 Level 7 Monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, target 1 card in your opponent's Spell/Trap Zone, 1 card in your opponent's Monster Zone, and 1 player with more than 3000 LP: Destroy those targets and inflict 1000 damage to the chosen player. This card cannot attack the turn this effect is activated. If a card is sent to your opponent's graveyard during their turn, Inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

Woah, this one sure is aggressive: a generic Rank7 that destroys 2 cards from 1 detachment and has BUUUURRRNN all over it.

Not sure if this is too strong, to be honest. It's a pop-2 for the price of 1 detach after all. The card that is closest to doing this is Shogi Rook an it costs 2 detachments, specifically requires 1 face-up & 1 face-down target and doesn't have any burn added, although it is 1 Rank lower. Hmmm... meh, who cares! I will give this one the thumbs up just for the HAAAAAMM.

Eyo, review time!~

Normally I'd object to including mandatory burn w/ Spell/Trap and monster destruction, but this isn't overdoing it. In a way, it's significantly worse than Volkasaurus, due to its activation requirements being more difficult to pull off. There are a decent number of situations where this card could come up, and it is a generic Rank 7 w/ a Graveyard burn to boot. To me, this is more a question of "Is this card worth running over Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon?". One offers self-protection and far more reliable burn, while the other has built-in 2 for 1 removal, w/ more match-up dependant removal and no self-protection. They're probably on similar power levels, which is a nice place for this card to be. Another great card from Toyo!

Also, wanted to include some OCG fixes for ya. There's probably a couple of things I skimmed, but wanted to provide a correction to some of the OCG, while avoiding targeting players (since it's not a mechanic currently in the game):

[spoiler=OCG Corrections]

Original:

2 Level 7 Monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, target 1 card in your opponent's Spell/Trap Zone, 1 card in your opponent's Monster Zone, and 1 player with more than 3000 LP: Destroy those targets and inflict 1000 damage to the chosen player. This card cannot attack the turn this effect is activated. If a card is sent to your opponent's graveyard during their turn, Inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

Updated:

2 Level 7 Monsters

Once per turn, if a player(s) has 3000 or more LP: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card in your opponent's Spell/Trap Zone and 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy those targets, and if you do, inflict 1000 LP damage to a player w/ 3000 or more LP. This card cannot attack the turn this effect is activated. If a card(s) is sent to your opponent's Graveyard during their turn: Inflict 500 LP damage to your opponent.

Archived