Tales of Berseria

Shradow

5TmD06F.png

[spoiler=Theme]

“Emotion versus Reason”

With a focus on Velvet, the first solo female lead protagonist, who strives for her goals with strong emotion, Tales of Berseria is about her confrontation with those who forego emotion and stick to reason to bring order to the world, as well as society’s internal conflict between emotion and reason.

[spoiler=Setting]

TOB_20151116_06_2FIX-1024x576.png

The world has a mainland at the center, which will be called the Glenwood Continent in the far future. The main stage of the story is set in the Midgand Empire, a great nation which governs a large area stretching across the sea. This nation consists of countless islands that are divided into multiple territories.

TOB_20151116_08_%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4-1024x

Even in the same kingdom, there is a big difference in the temperature between Northern territory and Southern territory, and even big differences in the climate depending on the location. These varied climates have an impact on the cultures, which varies the building architecture and life styles. Recently, the climate has been cooler across the world, especially in the Northern area as it has almost been buried under the snow.

TOB_20151116_04FIX-1024x576.png

In the Midgand Empire, the shipbuilding technology and seafaring technology have really evolved. Trade between territories are being actively conducted. Trading ships use specific routes because the ocean currents and the weather change drastically, as well as the threat of pirates.

TOB_20151116_07FIX-1024x576.png

[spoiler=Story]

This is the beginning of a mythology where the true story is forgotten in the far future…

Three years ago, the world suffered periods of turbulence due to Daemonblight*, the strange disease that changes humans to monsters.

Velvet and her family, living in a remote and old fashioned village in the Midgand Empire, helped one another and spent warm days together. However, the night the Scarlet Moon* rose, Velvet’s life was drastically turned around. She was betrayed by a person who she trusted. She not only lost her parents but also her left hand which was swallowed by a mysterious power. It transformed into a terrible hand which has the power to devour monsters.

TOB_20151116_013FIX_%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4-1

Time goes by and three years pass. Velvet Crowe races through the kingdom. Her eyes show her fury against the savior of the world who deprived everything from her…

■ daemonblight

The disease changing people into monsters.  Most of people affected by this disease go berserk and attack people but some of them can stay rational.

■ daemon

A monster that a person transformed into. It has been confirmed that even animals can be affected by Daemonblight.

■ malak

A tribe who can use the power of nature. They don’t have ego and are exploited by humans as familiar spirits.

■ Scarlet Night

The Night when the Scarlet Moon rises. Some say the Scarlet Night has something to do with daemonblight…

TOB_20151116_28FIX_%E8%AA%BF%E6%95%B4-10

The game launches for PS4 and PS3 on August 18th in Japan and worldwide sometime in Q1 2017 for PS4 and PC. I was super excited for it when it was announced but haven't really looked into it until now, so now I'm super excited for it again. Definitely getting it for PS4 when it comes out.

Xilla 1 and Xilla 2 were masterpieces that were cut short due to development deadlines. Zestiria was complete and utter garbage and should've been developed further.

Berseria is following the style of Zestiria but adding back elements of previous games, but this new system of mash X to spam hits and no dodging/blocking/etc just doesn't feel reminiscent of some of the better Tales games [too mainstream].

but this new system of mash X to spam hits and no dodging/blocking/etc

Is that what they're doing? I haven't watched any gameplay outside of the trailers, and the only thing I know is that they're using the conventional LMBS, just that the 4 buttons (triangle, circle, square, cross) are all used for artes and that the left stick is now solely for movement. There's also free camera control, which is nice.

Xilla 1 and Xilla 2 were masterpieces that were cut short due to development deadlines. Zestiria was complete and utter garbage and should've been developed further.

Berseria is following the style of Zestiria but adding back elements of previous games, but this new system of mash X to spam hits and no dodging/blocking/etc just doesn't feel reminiscent of some of the better Tales games [too mainstream].

I can agree with Xillia one not being the best it could be because of development deadlines(although I still feel the game is actually pretty damn amazing) but X2 I feel was already wrongly done from the planning stage. In terms of actual battle gameplay there's little argument to be made against it being better than X1 but it really does suffer from being a sequel. I loved X2 at first but as I played I felt the story suffer from having X1 characters return to share the spotlight. X2 should've shared just the setting and maybe a character or two, but not all the playable characters.

Zestiria I've never found the heart to play but I've heard mixed things about it.

I'm just sad I never had a PS3 to play abunch of them.

Sadly I doubt the PS3 Tales games are coming over anytime soon(Then again, I could be wrong, I'm out of touch with Tales these days). I won't push you into buying an entire console just to try out a few games but if you're considering it, I do recommend it. In terms of Tales games, the console has 3(and an untranslated updated Vesperia makes that 4) and all of them are at least fairly endearing. Graces f has one of the most fun combat systems of the series that I have played too, and it being my first Tales game, I have a soft spot for it.

Aside from the Tales games there are plenty of other PS3 games I'd get the console for, namely Ni No Kuni.

Also, while I really like Velvet's character design, she just might have the most inconvenient outfit to put on out of any RPG character I've ever seen. I'm wondering how annoying it is for her to put all the bandages back on her left arm when she's done with it.

Tales-of-Berseria_01-03-15_003.jpg

And since this game takes place in the same world as Zestiria, but far into the past, I wonder if there will be any connections. Kinda like Symphonia and Phantasia.

EDIT: Well now this is interesting, what's Artorias doing in the trailer for the Zesteria anime? Berseria takes place far in the past.

https://youtu.be/l0wkfRiQKRQ?t=1m26s

Yeah, that's why I brought up the Symphonia/Phantasia analogy, and the question about Artorias. Does he show up in Zestiria anywhere? Because apparently he's in the Zestiria anime based on the trailer.

Also, quick Google search got me a dragon. Eizen is a boss and a dragon or something? That sucks, I like him and his punching of many things.

Yeah, main character's little bro gets sacrificed or something and so she's hell bent on revenge, not exactly the kindest of beginnings. Plus there's all this stuff about people turning into monsters and things, also not too great.

The daemon arm is totally badass, though.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, main character's little bro gets sacrificed or something and so she's hell bent on revenge, not exactly the kindest of beginnings. Plus there's all this stuff about people turning into monsters and things, also not too great.

The daemon arm is totally badass, though.

The Tales games have never really been known for being light hearted tales /haha i'm punny. Even Zestiria one of the more light-hearted games is still pretty dark. As for the Zestiria anime it's tying Berseria and Zestiria together-ish (and also improving on Zestiria's somewhat lackluster plot)

[spoiler=Spoiler-ish idk ]The main's little bro comes back as a Malak al a Mikleo, and joins the party as the deuteragonist

• 2 weeks later...

bump:

Well, here's something we can talk about:

Can't post names of sites cause that be illegal, but use a search to check out "Tales of Zesteria the X episode 5 English Dub".

It looks like we get a sneak preview as to the English voices for the game. Not sure about who voices Velvet or Seles, but anyone who's played KH 3d should recognize Rokurou's voice.

Edit: On closer inspection, and looking into Anime News Network, Velvet is voiced by surprisingly Cristina Vee. You know,

Compa from Neptunia, Shantae from Shantae, Pippin and Lola from Fairy Fencer F.

Not surprising this will be a really dark role for her considering she was Supra in Mugen Souls Z.

Archived