Zombie Decks need more consistency

BatMed

necromancy_of_the_undead_lord_by_batmed-

dot_0006_green_by_drache_lehre-d7z752k.p Effect:
When this card is activated: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck (or your entire Deck, if less than 3), send any excavated Zombie-Type monsters to the Graveyard, also shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only use 1 of the following “Necromancy of the Undead Lord” effects per turn, and only once that turn. 
● If your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster and you control no monsters: You can shuffle 1 Zombie-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard into the Deck, target 1 Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.
● You can banish this card from the field or Graveyard and 1 Zombie-Type monster in your hand or Graveyard; add 1 Level 5 or lower Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.
You can only activate 1 "Necromancy of the Undead Lord" per turn.

Can you activate its on-activation effect and its Ignition effect in the same turn? Because by the way the last clause is worded, it implies you can't.

If that really is the way you intended, then nothing's wrong. But if you meant that we can still use both its on-activation effect and its Ignition effect, it should be worded as: 

When this card is activated: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck (or your entire Deck, if less than 5), send any excavated Zombie-Type monsters, also shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only use 1 of the following “Necromancy of the Undead Lord” effects per turn, and only once that turn. 

If you control no monsters: You can banish 1 Zombie-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard, target 1 Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

*You can banish this card from the field or Graveyard and 1 Zombie-Type monster in your hand or Graveyard; add 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

Nevertheless, a good card, it really helps with getting Mezuki or Shiranuis to the Graveyard while giving you a comeback option if you have no monsters. 

Uh, to be honest I don't like this card, Not only IMO it does too much for a single card as it has 3 different good effects, also I don't agree with Zombies needing (more) consistency, as they already have cool plays and toys with Unizombie, Mezuki and Shiranuis, plus they are bound to get better as the game releases more cards; for example, they even make effective use of PSY-Framelord Omega, which it isn't exactly a Zombie. So, the card is really solid, strong and all, but I don't think it's something Zombies deserve.

Heck, I actually think either the second or third effect should suffice to make it good, and even then, it can lead to strong plays considering that some Shiranuis float when banished. Oh, and the ability to search for a Zombie of any Level can easily get out of hand, so it would be fair if it was limited to Level4 or lower Zombies.

What about now?

When this card is activated: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck (or your entire Deck, if less than 5), send any excavated Zombie-Type monsters to the Graveyard, also shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only use 1 of the following “Necromancy of the Undead Lord” effects per turn, and only once that turn. 
● If your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster and you control no monsters: You can shuffle 1 Zombie-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard into the Deck, target 1 Zombie-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.
● You can banish this card from the field or Graveyard and 1 Zombie-Type monster in your hand or Graveyard; add 1 Level 5 or lower Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

You can only activate 1 "Necromancy of the Undead Lord" per turn.

Well, it is more tame now but still has that potentially killer x5 excavation effect. I know it's mostly chance-based, but imagine excavating 4~5 good Zombies like Mezuki? that would set you so far ahead. Personally I would be more comfortable with it if it excavated just 3, considering the other 2 effects it has. In fact, as I implied before, I would scrap the milling effect altogether, but I guess there is no need to be that drastic.

Archived