Deck building strategies, anyone?

What I think about when building decks is (and I'm going to sound like a fanboy or even that I'm from directly out of the anime) is make one that's cool and fun. If you smile when you get to pull off a brilliant combo, your deck is a success. A theme is essential, sometimes Type-based like Spellcaster or Fiend, Archetype-based like Elemental Heroes or Lightsworns, or even focusing on a specific card, like Yubel or Dark Magician. Choose a theme based on cards you already have or want to have as a strong base.

Next pick some cards that are consistent with the theme. Any cards which support the theme are, without saying, essential. Cards which power up your monsters, special summoning powerful cards and finding ways of damaging your opponent are often good bets. Look on yugioh.wikia.com and go on the tips sections of the cards you have if you want any more help. Staple cards help too. Personally all decks I run have Mystical Space Typhoon, Dust Tornado, A Feather of the Phoenix and Monster Reborn in them. Traps that negate your opponent's moves are useful too, like Magic Jammer, Trap Jammer, Divine Wrath etc.

Next, think of combos you can enact with cards, the cooler and more powerful the better. For example, I have a Yubel deck. If I want to get her out, I can set a monster and set Damage Condenser. Then, when the set monster is attacked, even if survives I can activate my trap because I took 0 damage, which allows me to summon Yubel. An even better one is with Yubel on the field, I can give my opponent monsters like Lava and Grinder Golem and activate Battle Mania to make my opponent's monsters attack. If Yubel is my only monster I just leave it there, if I have others then I can activate Staunch Defender to make them attack Yubel only.This will make him/her take loads of damage. However, I then activate An Unfortunate Report, a little-used trap that causes them to take their battle phase twice, so they attack again. This move has defeated people in the past. Come up with your own and make them great.

Finally, have an ultimate goal in mind. For Yubel, it's The Ultimate Nightmare, Neos Wiseman or Montage Dragon. For my Spellcaster Deck it's getting my 3 Dark Magicians out and activating Delta Attacker to allow them to attack directly. Any combo that helps you win is a good one, so let your imagination run riot.

I hope this helps, so go play!

Actually, I have found that i have a rather odd way of building my decks.

It's a simple process of elimination.

First, I riffle through my cards, picking and choosing ones that would fit the theme. Then i look again in case I missed anything.Then I simply eliminate the worst cards until i have my deck. The trick is to max out everything first,THEN take out the unnecessary cards.

Ok,i have a few tips for you i'll explain it in steps

[spoiler=Step1:choosing your key card]Your key card is the most important card in the deck,you should run as many as you have of this card (e.g my deck focuses on cyber dragon,due to his effect he's easy to get on the field,and for a level 5 he packs some Wallop)IMG_1105%20copy.jpg

[spoiler=Step 2:Picking a theme]There is no point throwing random cards into your deck,as it may destroy the synergy.Armoured cybern is a key card to my deck it makes my beatstick cyber dragon into a baseball bat the can take out a mighty monster like anc.gear golem

ygo_ptdnen009.JPG

Also,if your deck is a fiary/lightsworn deck,You should reflect that in your spells and traps,angelic healing cards are no means uncommon.but if your deck is fiendish and mean,add evil in your spell and traps,it might not win you duels all the time,but it adds flavor.

step3:Spells and traps These are very important to your deck(s),staple cards such a mystical space typhoon and twister are ussualy common in Boosters,Thus making it easy to build up from there.

step4:Too big for your boots Keep the deck size around 40-50 cards,my deck runs 51,but i manage to draw the right cards,if you have 80 cards your deck is a little to big,Noobies make 80 card decks full of high-powered monsters,and when it comes to dueling a REAL DECK they just get creamed.

[spoiler=step5:catchphases]by catch phrases i don't mean "Get your game on!" and stuff from the anime,but it's much more fun if you say things like

"How bout' this?"

"Eat trap!"

"go spell!"

"i'm sorry,direct attack"

"I'm fusion summoning this little card!"

"my deck works like this card,Syncro!"

instead of

"i summon a monster"

"i activate this"

"i'm attacking you directly"

Also,winning and losing catchphases are quite nice

Good:

win:

"I win!,good duel!"

Lose:

"aww.i lost,good duel"

Bad:

Win:

"you suck at this game!"

lose:

"i'll win next time!"

Ok' date='i have a few tips for you i'll explain it in steps

[spoiler=Step1:choosing your key card']Your key card is the most important card in the deck,you should run as many as you have of this card (e.g my deck focuses on cyber dragon,due to his effect he's easy to get on the field,and for a level 5 he packs some Wallop)IMG_1105%20copy.jpg

[spoiler=Step 2:Picking a theme]There is no point throwing random cards into your deck,as it may destroy the synergy.Armoured cybern is a key card to my deck it makes my beatstick cyber dragon into a baseball bat the can take out a mighty monster like anc.gear golem

ygo_ptdnen009.JPG

Also,if your deck is a fiary/lightsworn deck,You should reflect that in your spells and traps,angelic healing cards are no means uncommon.but if your deck is fiendish and mean,add evil in your spell and traps,it might not win you duels all the time,but it adds flavor.

step3:Spells and traps These are very important to your deck(s),staple cards such a mystical space typhoon and twister are ussualy common in Boosters,Thus making it easy to build up from there.

step4:Too big for your boots Keep the deck size around 40-50 cards,my deck runs 51,but i manage to draw the right cards,if you have 80 cards your deck is a little to big,Noobies make 80 card decks full of high-powered monsters,and when it comes to dueling a REAL DECK they just get creamed.

[spoiler=step5:catchphases]by catch phrases i don't mean "Get your game on!" and stuff from the anime,but it's much more fun if you say things like

"How bout' this?"

"Eat trap!"

"go spell!"

instead of

"i summon a monster"

"i activate this"

Good:

win:

"I win!,good duel!"

Lose:

"aww.i lost,good duel"

Bad:

Win:

"you suck at this game!"

lose:

"i'll win next time!"

40-50? Twister's a staple? Armored Cybern suddenly became good?

Ok' date='i have a few tips for you i'll explain it in steps

[spoiler=Step1:choosing your key card']Your key card is the most important card in the deck,you should run as many as you have of this card (e.g my deck focuses on cyber dragon,due to his effect he's easy to get on the field,and for a level 5 he packs some Wallop)IMG_1105%20copy.jpg

ygo_ptdnen009.JPG

"How bout' this?"

"Eat trap!"

"go spell!"

instead of

"i summon a monster"

"i activate this"

Good:

win:

"I win!,good duel!"

Lose:

"aww.i lost,good duel"

Bad:

Win:

"you suck at this game!"

lose:

"i'll win next time!"

40-50? Twister's a staple? Armored Cybern suddenly became good? Lame catchphrase? No offense, but pleaselrn2play.

[spoiler=step5:catchphases]by catch phrases i don't mean "Get your game on!" and stuff from the anime' date='but it's much more fun if you say things like

"How bout' this?"

"Eat trap!"

"go spell!"

instead of

"i summon a monster"

"i activate this"

Good:

win:

"I win!,good duel!"

Lose:

"aww.i lost,good duel"

Bad:

Win:

"you suck at this game!"

lose:

"i'll win next time!"

[/quote']

omg I just vomited.

[spoiler=step5:catchphases]by catch phrases i don't mean "Get your game on!" and stuff from the anime' date='but it's much more fun if you say things like

"How bout' this?"

"Eat trap!"

"go spell!"

instead of

"i summon a monster"

"i activate this"

Good: