How to gain card advantage outside of battle

[spoiler=Prologue]Here's a guide I made to card advantage gain that I typed up while I was banned. I did lots of other stuff while I was banned too, I'll probably post them later once I polish them up a bit. This is a guide/list on ways to gain card advantage through effects. By this I mean cards that net you advantage of +1 or greater. I also included a list of cards that net you card advantage.

The most basic way to gain card advantage is simply by destroying cards by battle, but that's much too primitive, so we won't be getting into that. Instead, we'll be talking about how you can get yourself some card advantage by means of effects.

Why'd I make this? I've seen much too many topics here like the one I remember seeing earlier from lurking while I was banned. It claimed that Pot of Avarice, The Beginning of the End, and maybe a few other cards were the only ways to net a +1 or greater. With this, we can ensure such incidents won't happen again. I found as many cards as I could for the list, but take note that I'm likely missing some.

Many people seem to think of Pot of Greed when they think of +1s, and that only a select few cards can match such a tremendous gain. In truth, the list's actually quite large and contains cards that can net you advantage much greater than just a +1. Of course, many of these cards require dedication and set-up, but you'll also see a number of cards that are fairly easy to use. You might use them yourself. Read on and I'll show you just how many cards can net you an advantageous position.

[spoiler=Assumptions for the list]

-Only TCG cards that aren't banned are included.

-Activation requirements/Costs for Spells, Traps, or Effect monsters' effects are not taken into consideration.

-Summoning conditions for monsters are not taken into consideration, as monsters give field presence as well as ATK/DEF. The effects, and the card advantage gained from them, are treated as bonuses to the monster's stats/field presence core.

-Destroying cards by battle is not taken into consideration, so multiple attackers aren't treated as card advantage netters, neither are beatsticks.

-Grave setup and removing from the gave is not factored in against net gain.

-When a card states that it can net "up to" a certain amount of card advantage, the maximum value is assumed.

-If advantage given by a card expires after a certain point (usually the End Phase), it isn't taken into consideration as we're assuming you can do something with that advantage before you have to give it up.

-Certain cards that Special Summon a monster and bind themselves to the Special Summoned monster, later to be destroyed once removed from the field (like Future Fusion, Fossil Excavation, and Symbol of Heritage) are treated as -1 against the net card advantage income they attain, as you cannot continue to use those cards anymore (there are rare exceptions like recycling them with Brionac/Trunade, but we're not counting those.). So Future Fusion, Symbol of Heritage, Trap Monsters, etc aren't considered +1s.

-Tokens are treated as cards when considering card advantage, since you can use them like cards.

-Your card being required to be destroyed by your opponent is considered against net card advantage for effects like those of Card Trooper and searchers.

-Your card's effect being triggered for something that YOU would use it towards anyway, like being used for a Synchro Summon in the case of cards like Dark Sea Rescue, it isn't counted against your net gain.

-Card advantage your opponent WOULD'VE gained from a card you negated isn't counted towards the negating card's net gain, as there's a range of cards negaters negate, and unless ALL cards in that range gain your opponent the same amount of invariable advantage (Jar Robber's the only one I've found for this to be true as of yet, and it's not considered as it's impossible to actually activate in Advanced Format), it's not considered.

[spoiler=+1s]

+1s are usually quite good and don't require an awful amount of set-up or dedication to use. They can be much better than cards that give more than +1 card advantage because they're easier to work with. Some of the best cards in the game, like Brain Control, Rescue Cat, and all Monarchs except Mobius and Kuraz fall under this category.

Amazoness Chain Master

Ancient Leaf

Black Salvo

Black Shining G

Blackwing - Vayu the Big Flag

Brain Control

Breaker the Magical Warrior

Caius the Shadow Monarch

Celestia, Lightsworn Angel

Cup of Ace (Heads effect)

Dandylion

Dark Sea Rescue

Dark Nephthys

Dark Voltanis

Debris Dragon

Deep Sea Diva

Destiny Hero - Malicious

DNA Checkup (When your opponent guesses incorrectly)

Doomkaiser Dragon

Elemental Hero Stratos

Falling Down

Fires of Doomsday

Giant Germ

Gladiator Beast Bestiari

Gladiator Beast Darius

Gladiator Beast Equeste

Gladiator Beast Murmillo

Good Goblin Housekeeping (Only when there are 2 other copies in your Graveyard)

Golden Bamboo Sword

Gorz The Emissary of Darkness (Battle Damage effect)

Goyo Guardian

Granmarg the Rock Monarch

Gravekeeper's Spy

Green Gadget

Hero Blast

Inferno Reckless Summon (Assuming your opponent can't benefit from it, which is often the case.)

Judgment of Anubis

Junk Synchron

Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

Machine Duplication

Man-Eater Bug

Mark of the Rose

Mezuki

Mind Control

Night Assailant

Nimble Momonga

Oyster Meister

Pot of Avarice

Quillbolt Hedgehog

Raiza the Storm Monarch

Red Gadget

Rescue Cat

Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

Salvage

Stray Lambs

Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch

Thunder Dragon

Trap Eater

Tuningware

UFO Turtle

UFOroid

Volcanic Rocket

Volcanic Shell

Yellow Gadget

Zaborg the Thunder Monarch

[spoiler=+2s]

+2s are much fewer in number than +1s. Most of them require set-up/dedication, and all are monsters but 1. They can change the tide of a duel if you can pull one off.

Arcanite Magician

Gladiator Beast Gyzarus

Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World (Assuming the effect that activates when discarded by your opponent.)

Mobius the Frost Monarch

Nobleman-Eater Bug

Overdrive Teleporter

Sillva, Warlord of Dark World (Assuming the effect that activates when discarded by your opponent.)

The Beginning of the End

Tiger Dragon

[spoiler=+3s]

+3s are forces to be reckoned with. There are only 4 of them listed so far, which is probably a good thing. Two of them just get tokens, so they're not quite as formidable as the other two. All of the cards here are massively fun and epic to use.

Dark Armed Dragon (Immediately, but is also a +X since you can get more DARKs in the Grave later.)

Multiply

Scapegoat

Superancient Deepsea King Coelecanth

[spoiler=+4s]

+4s are the highest fixed advantages you can get, each of them requires large set up, and there're only 3 so far on here.

Doomkaiser Dragon/Assault Mode

Flash of the Forbidden Spell

Straight Flush

[spoiler=+Xs]

+Xs is the term I use for cards which can net you card advantage of +1 or greater depending on the circumstances. X is used to represent that the card advantage gain in question is variable.

Variables include the following, maybe more:

- What your opponent does (includes cards they've put out in the case of nukers, or how many cards they Summoned simultaneously in the case of stuff like Bottomless.)

- The amount of time they're face-up (once per turn ignition effects which don't necessarily lose you card advantage equal to or less than what you'd gain (like Sky Scourge Enrise or Chaos Sorcerer)

-How many times a certain condition is met that doesn't necessarily require you to lose card advantage equal to or greater than the card advantage gained by said card, (usually by means of continuous triggers like Card of Safe Return or Horus LV8.)

+Xs can be extremely powerful, and some can potentially net advantage of even more than a +4. Judgment Dragon can potentially net you a +10. Chaos Sorcerer has the potential to net you +Infinity. Think about it. Your opponent controls D.D. Scout Plane. You remove it with Sorc. They have 7 cards in hand, aren't doing anything with those 7 cards, and are discarding Magical Blast at each End Phase and using its effect instead of drawing at each Draw Phase so that they won't Deck out. You are too. You remove D.D. Scout Plane infinitely, they keep bringing it back. Neither the JD situation and REALLY not the Sorc situation will actually happen in a real duel, but they illustrate the point. There are LOTS of +Xs, so bear with me.

4-Starred Ladybug of Doom

A Wingbeat of Giant Dragon

Acid Rain

Ancient Gear Engineer

Ancient Forest

Arcana Force 0 - The Fool (Tails effect)

Arcana Force EX - The Dark Ruler

Arcanite Magician/Assault Mode

Archlord Zerato

Armed Dragon LV10

Armed Dragon LV7

Assault Slash

Battlestorm

Beast King Barbaros (3 Tributes)

Black Rose Dragon

Black Whirlwind

Blast Held By a Tribute

Blind Destruction

Breath of Light

Burst Breath

Burst Stream of Destruction

Card of Safe Return

Cell Explosion Virus

Chaos End

Chaos Sorcerer

Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

Crush Card Virus

Crystal Counter

Cyber Prima

Cyclone Boomerang

Dark Armed Dragon

Dark Dust Spirit

Dark End Dragon

Dark General Freed

Dark Hunter

Dark Magic Attack

Dark Master - Zorc

Darkbishop Archfiend

Darklord Zerato

Deck Devastation Virus

Delta Crow - Anti Reverse

Demise, King of Armageddon

Des Croaking

Desrook Archfiend

Destiny End Dragoon

Destiny Hero - Plasma

Destruction Cyclone

Destructotron

Disarmament

Doom Shaman

Dragon Piper

Earthbound Immortal - Aslla piscu

Earthbound Immortal - Uru

Elemental Burst

Elemental Hero Chaos Neos (3 heads effect)

Elemental Hero Storm Neos

Eradicator Epidemic Virus

Eternal Rest

Evil Hero Lightning Golem

Evil Hero Wild Cyclone

Fairy Wing

Fiend Skull Dragon

Final Destiny

Firestorm Prominence

Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo

Freed the Matchless General

Froggy Forcefield

Fuh-Rin-Ka-Zan

Gambler of Legend

Gemini Trap Hole

Giant Trap Hole

Gigastone Omega

Goblin Fan

Gilford the Lightning

Gigantes

Gigaplant

Grand Convergence

Heavy Storm

Huge Revolution

Hysteric Party

Ice Master

Jinzo - Lord

Jowgen the Spiritualist

King Tiger Wanghu

Koa'ki Meiru Tornado

Last Day of Witch

Legendary Flame Lord

Levia-Dragon - Daedalus

Light and Darkness Dragon

Lightning Vortex

Harpies' Hunting Ground

Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV8

Huge Revolution

Il Blud

Infernal Flame Emperor

Infernalqueen Archfiend

Infinite Dismissal

Judgment Dragon

Justi-Break

Magnetic Mosquito

Makiu, the Magical Mist

Malevolent Catastrophe

Malice Dispersion

Mega-Ton Magical Cannon

Miracle Fertilizer

Mirror Force

Moisture Creature

Mormolith

Morphing Jar

Needle Ceiling

Obsidian Dragon

Ocean Dragon Lord - Neo Daedalus

Ojama Delta Hurricane

Overworked

Planet Pollutant Virus

Proof of Powerlessness

Radiant Mirror Force

Radiant Spirit

Raging Earth

Raviel, Lord of Phantasms

Really Eternal Rest

Reckoning Power

Red Dragon Archfiend

Red Dragon Archfiend/Assault Mode (Nuke effect)

Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World

Release Restraint Wave

Road Warrior

Rod of Silence - Kay'est

Royal Magical Library

Royal Oppression

Ryu Senshi

Sacred Phoenix of Nephthys

Sand Gambler (3 heads effect)

Shadowknight Archfiend

Short Circuit

Silent Abyss

Skull Archfiend of Lightning

Sky Scourge Norleras

Skyscraper 2 - Hero City

Special Hurricane

Spell Purification

Spell Shattering Arrow

Stardust Dragon

Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode

Super-Electromagnetic Voltech Dragon (Batteryman D effect)

Terrorking Archfiend

The Law of the Normal

The Wicked Eraser

Time Wizard

Token Feastevil

Token Thanksgiving

Torrential Tribute

Tragedy

Tragoedia

Treeborn Frog

Tualatin

Tyrant Dragon

Umbral Soul

Uria, Lord of Searing Flames

Van'Dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord

Vanity's Call

Vilepawn Archfiend

Volcanic Doomfire

Volcanic Eruption

Volcanic Scattershot

Wall of Thorns

Warrior Elimination

Weed Out

Wild Fire

Winged Kuriboh LV10

Yubel - Terror Incarnate

Discuss balance, discuss the list in general, contribute, and use it as a reference for your Decks/posts.

To learn more about the concept of card advantage and how to use it to gain the upper hand in duels, refer to Akira's guide. ;D

Glad to see you back Polar =D

Thanks. ;D

anyway' date=' a Mighty fine list you have here. How long'd it take you?

[/quote']

Too long. Like, 3 or 4 hours. xD Didn't have much better to do though, so figured I might as well.

xD

Is being banned really that boring?

Crab would be proud ;)

Well' date=' the type of list Crab tends to make are completely different in nature right? ;D

Anyways, it's funny to see someone making a list.

Due to this list, I'll try not to get banned, for it seems to be very dull.

Yeah, try not to. ;D It totally sucks. It's hard not to sometimes due to freakish incidents and the way the rules are structured though. Sometimes it just happens.

Crab would be proud ;)

Well' date=' the type of list Crab tends to make are completely different in nature right? ;D

Yeah, try not to. ;D It totally sucks. It's hard not to sometimes due to freakish incidents and the way the rules are structured though. Sometimes it just happens.

Eh.

Anyway, back to topic, Card Advantages confuse me too much xD

Crab would be proud ;)

Eh.

Anyway, back to topic, Card Advantages confuse me too much xD

Well, it's basically how many cards you have in your hand and field combined compared to your opponent. Akira's guide goes into better detail though.

Hade-Hane? :P

Doesn't gain card advantage because it doesn't destroy anything.

PWWB' date=' CED, Hyper Hammerhead, LJM, etc :P

[/quote']

Umm no. Returning a card to an opponent's hand isn't card advantage gain, as card advantage is based on number of cards in-hand and on your side of the field COMBINED.

PWWB generates a +1, but costs you a discard and itself in doing so, so is actually a -1, which won't make the cut here.

.....Explain how Cyber Phoenix is a +1

For the draw effect to work' date=' it has to be face-up.

Meaning if you set it, it wont work.

And with 1200ATK, it dies to a large porportion of other cards.

[/quote']

Ah, I didn't get the "no card advantage gain if it has to be destroyed by your opponent" thing until later on, forgot to edit Phoenix out. Thanks, fixed. ;D

Archived