Should mind-altering drugs be legalized?

HORUS

They should all just be illegal' date=' including alchohol and ciggarettes. Nuff said.

[/quote']

Dumbest post ever.

You'd be homeless if Cigarettes and Alcohol were illegal, our economy would have absolutely crashed.

As for the rest, post an argument or you won't be taken seriously.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like Static to elaborate on the "opening of the mind."

I really don't see how most of these illegal hallucinogens are more dangerous than alcohol or tobacco, to be honest. But frankly, I don't see why those should be legal either, in an ideal world. Of course, the effects of their illegalization would be disastrous, just look at prohibition.

I basically come at it from this standpoint: What will make net crime-rates and drug-use rates lowest? Alcohol should be legal at 18, because people at college drink anyway, and by legailizing it we go farther towards being able to control it. College-students drink to get drunk. They get into bar-fights, rape people, say things they regret, crash while driving under the influence, etc. I'm sure you all know the drill there. Yet it's perfectly possible to have a beer at the BBQ in the backyard without harming anyone, saying anything particularly disastrous, etc. It's perfectly possible to culture a safe environment that contains alcohol or even other drugs, but we can't do it if we maintain the stance that none should be allowed to begin with.

Therefore, I think the question needs to be asked: How would legalization of these hallucinogens benefit the creation of the safest-possible environment for the use of those drugs, and how much would this be offset by more common use?

Legalization already has one thing in its favor. We're associating the drug trade with other criminal activities by locking it out like this. In doing so we are not only putting money in the pockets of criminals, but we are also increasing the chances of otherwise respectable drug-traders resorting to unsavory business practices such as coercion and murder in order to increase profit (Hey they're already breaking the law, what do they have to lose?) and on top of that we're making the drug-users themselves more likely to become criminals do to their associations with the underground trade.

Oh, and cigarette-smoking should definitely be banned in all public spaces. I think it's questionable even in the home (What about the children?) but there's no reason why the public should have to be negatively affected by the dumb choices that smokers make.

Everything here should be legalized.

Crime is often over drugs, with drugs legalized, there's less crime. Doesn't take a genius to see that. Look at Amsterdam's crime rate. It's lower.

The only real reason against their legalization are the negative effects of the drugs, which the drug taker should be well aware of and by taking them agrees to take the risks involved.

I think that with age limits and perhaps warning messages like those on cigarette packages, the legalization of mind-altering substances would cause much more good than harm.

For Static's argument that Psilocybin should be legal:

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=10818777

I'm not saying that psilocybin is going to do this constantly, but I think that even the risk is rather bad enough. And yes, I'm aware that alcohol would do this too. And does. A whole lot more. I'm not trying to make an argument for or against any specific drug. I'm just saying that in general, isn't it a bit insane to condone a practice that alters somebodies state of mind and can cause sheet like this to happen? Of course, illegalization might not be the best option for preventing stuff like this, but still: I think it's something to think about.

And I feel really bad for the boy, he was just trying to go home.

I'd like Static to elaborate on the "opening of the mind."

I really don't see how most of these illegal hallucinogens are more dangerous than alcohol or tobacco' date=' to be honest. But frankly, I don't see why those should be legal either, in an ideal world. Of course, the effects of their illegalization would be disastrous, just look at prohibition.

I basically come at it from this standpoint: What will make net crime-rates and drug-use rates lowest? Alcohol should be legal at 18, because people at college drink anyway, and by legailizing it we go farther towards being able to control it. College-students drink to get drunk. They get into bar-fights, rape people, say things they regret, crash while driving under the influence, etc. I'm sure you all know the drill there. Yet it's perfectly possible to have a beer at the BBQ in the backyard without harming anyone, saying anything particularly disastrous, etc. It's perfectly possible to culture a safe environment that contains alcohol or even other drugs, but we can't do it if we maintain the stance that none should be allowed to begin with.

Therefore, I think the question needs to be asked: How would legalization of these hallucinogens benefit the creation of the safest-possible environment for the use of those drugs, and how much would this be offset by more common use?

Legalization already has one thing in its favor. We're associating the drug trade with other criminal activities by locking it out like this. In doing so we are not only putting money in the pockets of criminals, but we are also increasing the chances of otherwise respectable drug-traders resorting to unsavory business practices such as coercion and murder in order to increase profit (Hey they're already breaking the law, what do they have to lose?) and on top of that we're making the drug-users themselves more likely to become criminals do to their associations with the underground trade.

Oh, and cigarette-smoking should definitely be banned in all public spaces. I think it's questionable even in the home (What about the children?) but there's no reason why the public should have to be negatively affected by the dumb choices that smokers make.

[/quote']

If Cigarettes had ever been barred, we would be in the next Great Depression. We need the tax revenue from Cigarettes and Alcohol to sustain our existence. Banning it in Public places isn't going to help since when someone needs to have a smoke, they need to have a smoke, and better outside than inside IMO.

If you can get drugs legally and not deal with the shady dealers, I personally would never go to the shady guy. If it's sold in the shop, it's one step towards getting rid of underground trade. Seventy years after Prohibition is lifted and no one buys underground liquor anymore.

Legalizing drugs would not create the "safest" environment, but it would reduce criminal drug trafficing and considering how few people have any interest in hallucinogens, it is not likely that much else will change at all.

They should be legal for legal purposes mostly. Reduce jail spaces, put an end to teenagers getting involved in the sale of said produce, and make a statement saying "You can do what you want to yourself, if it isn't considerably toxic."

We're not going to elaborate on the "opening of the mind" on a childrens card game forum.

We're not going to elaborate on the "opening of the mind" on a childrens card game forum.

Why the hell not? ;)

And jail-time for drug use is one of the dumbest things that ever happened to this country. Someone could make the argument that they belong in rehab, but the purpose of prison is to remove dangerous people from society. In other words, that's where murderers should go. Throwing people in for drug use, tax evasion, digital "theft" (The company doesn't actually lose anything, and that person won't be able to legally buy that song or game or movie from prison anyways.), dangerous driving (you can just suspend their license and you have the same effect), etc. is just stupid.

Lastly, we saw the disaster that resulted in prohibition, so it's clear that alcohol can't be banned, and I think it's reasonable to assume that we would have similar results if we were to ban nicotine. This being said, I think it's more than slightly unfair to force the public into being exposed to the dangerous chemicals present in cigarette smoke just to feed these people's addictions. If somebody wants to go ahead and harm themselves: Well, I'd like to think i have the humanity to want to help them out, but I recognize that it's their choice. Nicotine smoke, more than anything else besides possibly alcohol (due to DUIs), affects people who are not themselves users. Side-stream smoke is MORE toxic than the stuff the smoker himself is inhaling! Don't you think there's something wrong with that?

Doing it within the confines of your own home seems mostly fine, but I'll repeat what I said about children. Still, I think that's essentially unpreventable. Bars should have the option to allow smoking within the premises, but I think there should have to be some sort of ventilation system. I'd rather people couldn't smoke outdoors, at least in highly populated areas. I suppose it doesn't matter out in the country.

The more Prison money a State Needs, the more money the Federal Government will give it.

Isn't that just wonderful? >.>

Smoking inside of a building is a hazard to the building. If anything, people should only smoke outdoors. A fire is a lot more dangerous than side-stream smoke; it would be stupid to force people to smoke inside.

Smoking inside of a building is a hazard to the building. If anything' date=' people should only smoke outdoors. A fire is a lot more dangerous than side-stream smoke; it would be stupid to force people to smoke inside.

[/quote']

I suppose that's true. As a nonsmoker, it irritates me that I have to put up with other's smoking nearby, even when outdoors, and I think that my right to not have to experience that smoke is greater than the smoker's right to smoke in my presence. This being said, I would agree that fire-hazards significantly outclass whatever health-hazards, or even just the general unpleasantness, associated with being near a smoker.

So frankly, I guess I must come to the conclusion that the government's stance on smoking is somewhat sensible, at least in Ohio. Smoking inside public establishments is banned, but it's fine in your own home or outside. The government places heavy taxes on cigarettes and redirects that money towards efforts to get people to quit.

I'm don't. I know that people will still do it and we need the money but not everyone does though. Many idiots want it but luckily they can't cause it's not that easy thanks to it being illegal. Whether it isn't harmful or not doesn't matter really seeing as how you'll end up as Static says "tripping over" and weak people will be tripping for the rest of their lives. Addiction isn't easy and unlike Static not many do it to "open there mind" but to have a blast and that blast will kick you in the ass eventually.

You'd be homeless if Cigarettes and Alcohol were illegal' date=' our economy would have absolutely crashed.

[/quote']

Unfortunately it's true.

Still though I can't see why you'd want to take in anything that in the end will have you coughing with a black lung for the rest of your life or cause you to fall of a bridge when you don't even realize it. It may be because unlike Static I haven't "seen the rainbow" or whatever it's refereed to these days or because I'm clean and try to stay like that.

I'm don't. I know that people will still do it and we need the money but not everyone does though. Many idiots want it but luckily they can't cause it's not that easy thanks to it being illegal. Whether it isn't harmful or not doesn't matter really seeing as how you'll end up as Static says "tripping over" and weak people will be tripping for the rest of their lives. Addiction isn't easy and unlike Static not many do it to "open there mind" but to have a blast and that blast will kick you in the ass eventually.

I'm not entirely sure what you just said.

You'd be homeless if Cigarettes and Alcohol were illegal' date=' our economy would have absolutely crashed.

[/quote']

Unfortunately it's true.

Still though I can't see why you'd want to take in anything that in the end will have you coughing with a black lung for the rest of your life or cause you to fall of a bridge when you don't even realize it. It may be because unlike Static I haven't "seen the rainbow" or whatever it's refereed to these days or because I'm clean and try to stay like that.

Cigarettes don't make you see the rainbow. Skittles do.

I'm not entirely sure what you just said.

[/quote']

Unfortunately it's true.

Cigarettes don't make you see the rainbow. Skittles do.

I never said cigarettes do.

Also Skittles should be illegal, they're too damn tasty.

^^ well there's two parts when you smoke weed; the "High" and the "Stoned."

The High isn't great and the Stoned is just awful.

Also, Anyone who directly opposes the Legalization of hallucinogins NEEDS TO PROVIDE REASONS WHY OR THEIR OPINION IS DISCOUNTED. I can't refute you if you don't have a reason behind your viewpoint.

Altair, you can't get addicted to Hallucinogens. They have no addictive properties and can actually wreck your mind and body if you take them too often. You can use them often and act stupid whilst on them, or on the rare occasion cause a problem to either yourself or someone else, but no one can actually get seriously addicted to them.

I also haven't used a Hallucinogen in at least the last couple months.

• 4 weeks later...

^^ well there's two parts when you smoke weed; the "High" and the "Stoned."

The High isn't great and the Stoned is just awful.

Also' date=' Anyone who directly opposes the Legalization of hallucinogins NEEDS TO PROVIDE REASONS WHY OR THEIR OPINION IS DISCOUNTED. I can't refute you if you don't have a reason behind your viewpoint.

Altair, you can't get addicted to Hallucinogens. They have no addictive properties and can actually wreck your mind and body if you take them too often. You can use them often and act stupid whilst on them, or on the rare occasion cause a problem to either yourself or someone else, but no one can actually get seriously addicted to them.

I also haven't used a Hallucinogen in at least the last couple months.

[/quote']

ANOTHER NECRO-BUMP FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Depends on the weed you have. Kush and Dank are the best highs ever.

Everything else about this post is correct.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

they should stay illegal' date='for the same reason they banned subliminal advertising,MANIPULATION.

[/quote']

Never mind if subliminal messaging is legal.

Never mind if banning subliminal messaging is, by the very nature of subliminal messaging, stupid to the core.

Never mind if the greater population might not be able to grasp the sublime.

Never mind if those who do grasp might not, well, so easily manipulated.

There is a POINT to this gurgle!

Only that I don't know what it is.

• 2 months later...

I believe that people who do drugs, them dying and moaning in pain, is their falt, and no one cares about that. I would, in fact, like it better that way. It's their own falt, their own mistake. Those aren' the problem.

But those people selling/giving/forcing drugs to the innocent-that I cannot allow. I believe from my true heart that THAT should be illegal.

This goes with any type of drug-mind-altering and other.

I believe that people who do drugs' date=' them dying and moaning in pain, is their falt, and no one cares about that. I would, in fact, like it better that way. It's their own falt, their own mistake. Those aren' the problem.

But those people selling/giving/forcing drugs to the innocent-that I cannot allow. I believe from my true heart that THAT should be illegal.

This goes with any type of drug-mind-altering and other.[/b']

Your entire post is invalid. People only die from addictive mind altering drugs. LSD, salvia or shrooms won't kill you.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with wanting to have trips. Plenty of people do it as a way to try and reach enlightenment. Other people do it for fun. But the fact of the matter is that if they aren't a danger to society or a danger to themselves, the drugs should be legal.

Heroin, cocaine, prescription pills... These are the drugs that should be illegal.

Making them legal and selling them from government-based outlets only would be a good thing to do. It's that or legalise smoking.

Are you aware of the fact that smoking is WORSE than many drugs? And many people considering it harmless makes it even worse.

But yeah, why get high, when you can just dig in some alcohol or caffeine or swallow some sleeping pills?

Archived