The main thing that I think is wrong with this game

400740.jpg

Every other successful card game has a standardized format for cards to follow. Instead Yugioh has very little in the way of standardized format and likes to use full sentences in it's card text which leads to a lot of misrepresentation and misinterpretation of card effects. Often at events you'll find people shouting to Judges and most questions asked are "Does this card target?" and "Is doing this a cost/activation requirement?". No other big game has this big a problem because it has an easy to read, instantly recognizable format to seperate cost from effect.

What are Konami thinking? A game should not have people arguing over whether or not a full stop or a comma signifies the separation point between cost and effect. A game should also not have any ambiguity over whether or not a card targets.

While exiled force isn't exactly a difficult card to understand it was the first card that popped into my head when I decided to make this topic. If all cards had a format like that then there would be a lot less jabroniyness in this game.

Opinions people?

It keeps the majority of dumb people away from competitive play.

Says the Wc09's wifi.

A standardized format would help' date=' but I like the set up of effects now, it makes you feel like you aren't an idiot.

[/quote']

bieng able to remember card effects/what said card can target and such ftw?

It keeps the majority of dumb people away from competitive play.

Says the Wc09's wifi.

A standardized format would help' date=' but I like the set up of effects now, it makes you feel like you aren't an idiot.

[/quote']

bieng able to remember card effects/what said card can target and such ftw?

I was talking about the fact that when I read cards that set up the effect like Fraz's card did, it feels like they are calling me an idiot because I can't figure out that if something is uncertain, it doesn't target. i.e. Bottomless doesn't target because it can hit multiple monsters. Fissure is a card I'm confused at why it doesn't target...

Fissure doesn't target because you decide which monster dies upon resolution. Soul taker says "Chose a guy and kill that face up guy when this card resolves" whereas fissure says "If there exists guys on your opponent's side you can activate this. When resolving you can kick the smallest on in the nuts."

Fissure doesn't target because you decide which monster dies upon resolution. Soul taker says "Chose a guy and kill that face up guy when this card resolves" whereas fissure says "If there exists guys on your opponent's side you can activate this. When resolving you can kick the smallest on in the nuts."

Fraz's verson of Fissure >>>> Actual Fissure itself

Trolling: Although Riryuoku targets, it can defeat Thoughtruler Archfend.

Due to the fact that it has a 2nd effect.

Lawl

[/quote']

I think of it in the exact opposite way. When a person is completely new to a card game, and isn't willing to use him brain fully an idiot, terms like 'activation requirements' would scare them away. In Yugioh, the word 'to' signifies that there is a cost to be payed and 'and' signifies that there are to effects being activated at the same time. To noobs, it's a readable sentence, while it is a very important detail to competitive players.

In other words, they use noob-friendly things as important game details, which is only convenient for the noob, not for the competitive player. Konami seems to think it is more important to get more players, than to keep the game convenient for competitive players.

Another example of this would be keywords that they don't make. They used the term 'piercing damage' once, but then figured that would scare away noobs, so they decided not to use it again.

[/quote']

I think of it in the exact opposite way. When a person is completely new to a card game, and isn't willing to use him brain fully an idiot, terms like 'activation requirements' would scare them away. In Yugioh, the word 'to' signifies that there is a cost to be payed and 'and' signifies that there are to effects being activated at the same time. To noobs, it's a readable sentence, while it is a very important detail to competitive players.

In other words, they use noob-friendly things as important game details, which is only convenient for the noob, not for the competitive player. Konami seems to think it is more important to get more players, than to keep the game convenient for competitive players.

Another example of this would be keywords that they don't make. They used the term 'piercing damage' once, but then figured that would scare away noobs, so they decided not to use it again.

True, but they are gradually making the effects both competative friendly and noob friendly.

It also just makes it plain confusing sometimes. A standardized format would help' date=' but I like the set up of effects now, it makes you feel like you aren't an idiot.

[b']Edit: More and more Yugioh cards are starting to use this format though "target a card. Do this to that card" so give it time and I think it'll work out.[/b]

Another example of this would be keywords that they don't make. They used the term 'piercing damage' once' date=' but then figured that would scare away noobs, so they decided not to use it again.

[/quote']

I wish they'd just use key terms instead. This would make reading cards personally easier. Pokemon uses this and very obviously has no problem getting players. Especially since most of its players are of a lower age level. I think a unified format would be nice. But it isn't required, konami just needs to clarify a bit more when they write card effects. They should just think about the ways that a card can be misinterpreted and then they should have their own OCG straight.

I disagree. Yugioh just has "targeting/cost problems" because they lack a resource system, and a proficient targeting system.

In magic, you can Lightning Bolt anything that has life, even yourself. In Yugioh, you only do what you have to do with what you have and all you have. That's why I will never be able to kill myself with a Magic Cylinder or abuse it to make it a direct attack filter instead of a reflect0rz. With a targeting system, they wouldn't have to jump though so many hoops to make new stupid and space-eating cards.

Just because Missing the Timing exists because of this....I'm going to agree with OP.

Missing the timing exists because konami intended it to exist as a way to prevent certain cards becoming too powerful or abusable.

The texts: "This card cannot be special summoned except by..." and "This card can only be special summoned by..." look like they say the exact same thing, and anybody new to the game cannot tell the difference. IIRC it doesn't even make the distinction in the rulebook between these 2 terms...

What a silly game we play.

One of my friends is just got into yu-gi-oh, half of the moves he makes are either lulzy (^^) or impossible, light vortex, for example discard 1 card. he kept saying "It doesn't have to be in my hand cause it doesn't say so". Does any lighting vortex actally say discard 1 card from your hand -_-.

Archived