What makes a good banlist?

With all the dreamlist threads popping up recently, most of which suck, I'd like to know what people's opinions are on what makes a good banlist and discuss the flaws and advantages of everyone's ideals.

I think it's clear from their past decisions that the banlist is designed to discourage/kill OTK strategies and to make the game more archetype focused.

3/0 is a bad concept.

[/discussion]

Why? Sure it isn't perfect but it gets it mostly right. It bans cards that give too much unfair advantage, it limits and semi-limits only cards that are needed in higher amounts to be deadly (i.e. Dewloren, Night Assailent) and leaves everything else unlimited. I'll admit that some of the stuff that would go on the list would make me sad but for the most part it does the nasty job the best. Making a banlist and using the 3/0 logic even a tad bit makes the list better in the long run.

Fraz to keep it short and simple. YCM believes that Broken card = Broken card no matter how many of Broken Card you are able to use. So if Broken card is going to stay Broken card than why not correct broken card instead of tip toeing around broken card.

Now do I always believe this? No... but I do understand it. Also you have to realize most of this logic comes from people who do not play IRL and I do think that this limits a persons ideas on certain situations. This is hard to explain because like online Most tournaments all look alike. But Im sure you know what im talking about.

Look' date=' Im tired of everybody saying OTKs are bad. Everybody just get over yourselves. Even if we were to eliminate every commonly know OTKs that we can think up by creating a list, All we're going to do is search for new ones. Its the nature of this game. To create combos that win.

[/quote']

They are bad.

But we are gonna have to live with them.

Look' date=' Im tired of everybody saying OTKs are bad. Everybody just get over yourselves. Even if we were to eliminate every commonly know OTKs that we can think up by creating a list, All we're going to do is search for new ones. Its the nature of this game. To create combos that win.

[/quote']

They are bad.

I just have to know what decks do you run, how do they win. Regardless of what your answer is Ban it. For every deck wins in the same way. inflicting damage, or locking the opponent.

[/quote']

They are bad.

I just have to know what decks do you run, how do they win. Regardless of what your answer is Ban it. For every deck wins in the same way. inflicting damage, or locking the opponent.

Pretty much this. I run zombies, alot of those should be high on the ban list for good reasons.

What if i said warriors? Then again that would be retarted :?.

3/0 lists are the only good lists out there. All cards inherently should be at 3 or 0. The main reason (I'll explain the other reason later) people think limiting/semi'ing is a good idea is because they see Konami doing it. Why does Konami do it? They either don't understand the game or they want money. Wanna guess which one is dominant?

Puting a broken card at 1 or 2 allows it to still exist and wreak havoc, and it doesn't fix the problem. Players only need to OTK once per Duel, amirite? By banning certain cards, the cards deemed "broken" that interact with them can be at 3 in peace.

On a 3/0 list, limits and semi-limits exist to put certain combos at 0, if you will. For example, Night Assailant is at 1 because otherwise it could always recover another copy of itself from the Graveyard.

My Gamers point of view. If a card is broken or damages the game it should be dealt with, regardless if it combos or not. Playing cards together is what makes the game, and cards shouldn't be banned simply because it works well with another. The card should impact the game some how. My favorite example gale. Unlike shrink gale's half is permanent. Not only that it being a monster means that not only can it shrink, it has the ability to destroy as well. Now. Had gale just been another shrink. (meaning its effect read. Once while this card is face-up half the ATK of one monster on the field until the end of the turn. This card can not attack the turn this effect was used.) I wouldn't consider it limit able at all.

3/0 lists are the only good lists out there. All cards inherently should be at 3 or 0. The main reason (I'll explain the other reason later) people think limiting/semi'ing is a good idea is because they see Konami doing it. Why does Konami do it? They either don't understand the game or they want money. Wanna guess which one is dominant?

Puting a broken card at 1 or 2 allows it to still exist and wreak havoc' date=' and it doesn't fix the problem. Players only need to OTK once per Duel, amirite? By banning certain cards, the cards deemed "broken" that interact with them can be at 3 in peace.

On a 3/0 list, limits and semi-limits exist to put certain combos at 0, if you will. For example, Night Assailant is at 1 because otherwise it could always recover another copy of itself from the Graveyard.

[/quote']

You can look at the current banlist and explain almost all the choices on it using that logic.

Archived