Dark Magician's Grandfather: Dark Sage

l summoned this once on WC08.

I almost cried. Eipc card is epic. Search heavy' date=' GG.

BUT-

Too hard to get out. Better off using sarco.

lf you manage to get this out, though, you won't regret it.

[/quote']

did it matter if you called time magician's effect right or wrong?

Umm... Ya?

Call it wrong and they're both destroyed.

I'm pretty sure the summoning condition is extremely simple:

You activate Time Wizard's effect. BEFORE you flip the coin, you're given the opportunity to chain (Birthright/Call/whatever). Then coin flips. If you get it wrong, all your monsters are destroyed. This is considered the "unsuccessful" effect. If you get it right, all your opposing monsters are destroyed. This is the successful effect. At the moment of meeting the condition, you can tribute Dark Magician and summon Dark Sage. At that moment, you add the spell. You cannot play Dark Magician later and summon Sage.

The Prisma idea doesn't work because Prisma's name does not become "Time Wizard" until it's done resolving and so "Time Wizard" has not used its effect, so it can not be considered "succeeded". Prisma doesn't have an effect to activate under its new name.

Now, if Dark Sage's condition said you have to tribute Dark Magician after Time Wizard's effect has been activated (rather than "succeeded"), but still implying it was successful due to the "blow up your stuff" catch, then you could use cards like Hardened Armed Dragon to spare the Dark Magician from a failed effect. Unfortunately, it very specifically says "succeeded" and seeing as Time Wizard's effect is a coin toss, the meaning isn't so vague so as to exploit via loopholes.

The logic behind Dark Sage's summoning condition is the one in the anime. Dark Magician got aged 1000 years by Time Wizard's effect. A stupid reason to base the card's condition around such a scenario, since Thousand Dragon was a fusion for some absurd reason.

one of the reasons why sage sucks so much now is because the best cards of today's game are so easy to get out. i mean, most synchros are better than this because of easy summoning conditions. if synchros were hard to use, not as many people would use them, and if this thing had easier summoning conditions, more people would use it in a Dark Magician deck or something.

one of the reasons why sage sucks so much now is because the best cards of today's game are so easy to get out. i mean' date=' most synchros are better than this because of easy summoning conditions. if synchros were hard to use, not as many people would use them, and if this thing had easier summoning conditions, more people would use it in a Dark Magician deck or something.

[/quote']

No one uses this, even before Synchros were released.

Archived