Duel Monsters Unlimited is over

Guest PikaPerson01
Hello,

Today we received a cease-and-desist contact from a lawyer at Konami regarding your game, "Duel Monsters Unlimited". This issue is with using trademarked content from "Yu-Gi-Oh". I explained that BYOND only acts as a portal and we have no true control over the game; however, we do have control over it's advertisement through the hub. As such, to avoid legal repercussions we will have to suppress this entry (to my dismay, as it is one of the more popular games) shortly. I don't know if they will be contacting you separately regarding the game itself-- obviously we don't have control over this.

If you are to continue hosting DWU, you should inform your users about the removal of the hub entry and do the broadcasting announcements of the game on your own site. Alternatively, you may want to edit the offending content (if that is possible) and rename the hub. We could probably transfer over existing scores and medals so long as the new entry does not pose any trademark threats.

I figured this would happen eventually with a fangame, and am sorry you are the first. Hopefully you'll be able to come up with a workaround that doesn't get anyone in trouble. I already requested of Konami to allow this to slide, since you aren't hurting anyone (and in fact are probably just promoting their brand), but they would not budge. At any rate, I'll try to buy some time while you figure out how to deal with this.

Tom Hehre

Founder, BYOND.com

(Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to further discuss this)

Source: http://www.gamerscripts.com/dmu/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5930&p=77260&hilit=cease+and+desist#p77260

"Just as planned."

Guest JoshIcy

dammit' date=' DMU was fun.

[/quote']

If by fun you mean repeatedly facedesking yourself until you see stars dancing on your keyboard, then yeah, it was fun.

Only the players. Which is why I always went for scheduled duels with friends.

Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Guest PikaPerson01

Meh, I never liked the whole interface about it. I last used it about a year or two ago, so I don't know if they ever got around to fixing the whole "tiny graphics, terrible interface" thing.

On a completely unrelated note, this might mean trouble for YVD too... 0_o

Though considering all that really needs updating is the .set (unless there's a huge rule change like Synchros and Tuners) I don't know how big of an issue it'll be.

Guest JoshIcy

Meh' date=' I never liked the whole interface about it. I last used it about a year or two ago, so I don't know if they ever got around to fixing the whole "tiny graphics, terrible interface" thing.

Though considering all that really needs updating is the .set (unless there's a huge rule change like Synchros and Tuners) I don't know how big of an issue it'll be.

[/quote']

Eh. It was great by all intents and purposes. As it kept up with the OCG and TCG Game. Allowed Anime Duels for Kids and RP Duelists. (Mind you the other Duel Monsters game on Byond has EVERY SINGLE ANIME CARD, while DMU only added select few per series). This had variety as well as skill in it. And not all anime cards were overpowered, but a vast amount were.

The problem is the duelists. Since it was inevitably played by poor duelists who didnt know how to play >_>"... I dont know how many times Ive won with a poor deck (Like what I called It's Hamons Sad Story- it focused on Hamon and Continuous Spells to Lockdown with a small amount of Anime cards) against LS, BW etc.

Guest PikaPerson01

Meh' date=' I never liked the whole interface about it. I last used it about a year or two ago, so I don't know if they ever got around to fixing the whole "tiny graphics, terrible interface" thing.

[/quote']

Eh. It was great by all intents and purposes. As it kept up with the OCG and TCG Game. Allowed Anime Duels for Kids and RP Duelists. (Mind you the other Duel Monsters game on Byond has EVERY SINGLE ANIME CARD, while DMU only added select few per series). This had variety as well as skill in it. And not all anime cards were overpowered, but a vast amount were.

YVD however had an infinite amount of cards for anyone who felt like learning the basics of how to edit the .set, so... it's not so much a problem. 0_o

[/quote']

YVD however had an infinite amount of cards for anyone who felt like learning the basics of how to edit the .set, so... it's not so much a problem. 0_o

YVD doesn't have tag duels as far as I know, nor an option to watch other's duels directly, nor pretty icons, which is clearly the most important point here.

DMU was filled with idiots but it was still enjoyable to play when you didn't play against someone who was new to the game. You fought a variety of decks (most of them being lol worthy) but at least there was variety.

YVD is full of elitist who net deck metadecks so it got stale really fast and there were still a ton of people there who don't know the rulings properly. They'tr more stubborn then the people at DMU imo. YVD doesn't have OCG cards (unless you use the OCG Set which isn't kept up-to-date as often unless you do it yourself but converting images for YVD is a pain) and finding OCG Duelist is very difficult. On the plus side the majority of the time you fought someone knowledgable in the game and the interface is 10x faster than DMU's.

I'd rather not go back to YVD for my Yugioh fix since I can experiment with OCG cards as much. Wasn't there another Yugioh game on Byond?

DMU was filled with idiots but it was still enjoyable to play when you didn't play against someone who was new to the game. You fought a variety of decks (most of them being lol worthy) but at least there was variety.

YVD is full of elitist who net deck metadecks so it got stale really fast and there were still a ton of people there who don't know the rulings properly. They'tr more stubborn then the people at DMU imo. YVD doesn't have OCG cards (unless you use the OCG Set which isn't kept up-to-date as often unless you do it yourself but converting images for YVD is a pain) and finding OCG Duelist is very difficult. On the plus side the majority of the time you fought someone knowledgable in the game and the interface is 10x faster than DMU's.

I'd rather not go back to YVD for my Yugioh fix since I can experiment with OCG cards as much. Wasn't there another Yugioh game on Byond?

if they are getting DMU, they are going to get those as well.

can I get a link to YVD.

Guest JoshIcy

[/quote']

YVD doesn't have tag duels as far as I know, nor an option to watch other's duels directly, nor pretty icons, which is clearly the most important point here.

As derp as that sounds, it's true. Which generates much of the appeal.

When playing on YVD, I feel like Im playing a text-based duel. Which just isnt fun for me.

Go to xerocreative.com and dl YVD the set and the image packs. You'll need to know IRC in order to get any duels going as they have a channel dedicated to setting up duels. Expect a very different type of crowd than DMU as YVD is a competitive TCG scene that mostly has players who want to prep for a local/regional tourney. You'll fight a ton of metadecks and anti-meta decks with very little variation in between.

Archived