Official Anime Manga Recommendation Thread

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Naruto values plot a lot more than Bleach does.

My recommendations:

Rave Master

Haru Glory inherits the mystical power of Rave and the Ten Commandments sword, and must set sail from Garage Island to defeat Demon Card. Explosives fights, fun characters, and a nice plot. Features action, adventure, fantasy, and romance. I contender for my top favorite manga.

Fairy Tail

From the author of Rave Master. Lucy Heartfilia wants to join the infamous guild Fairy Tail. In the series, guilds a formed from countless mages, and the male lead (And obviously the true protagonist) was trained by a dragon and thus and manipulate and even eat fire. Action, adventure, and fantasy. As another work by Hiro Mashima, it's a contender for my favorite manga.

Bakuman.

Mashiro Moritaka can't confess to the girl of his dreams. One day, he is confronted by top student Takagi Akito, who wants him to draw manga for him. Mashiro agrees, and the two set out to create a manga. When the two go to tell Mashiro's crush Azuki about this, Mashiro accidentally proposes to her. Slice of life and romance.

Beelzebub

Oga Tatsumi finds a strange green-haired baby. This baby is apparently the son of Satan, and must be raised by Oga until he is old enough to destroy the world. That plot is mostly underplayed, as Oga is part of a delinquent school and so we see his school life and my hilarity ensues. Comedy.

i actually don't recommend Bleach anymore, I really don't care for it much, the plot is interesting in a way, but the fights are just stupid, Ichigo always almost dies no matter what, there isn't a close fight unless someone does some secret special move to even the score (most of the time it's ichigo) the characters are Op'd way to early on in the series which leaves little room for a new powwered up technique or the speed of the character to improve anything, one of the worst things was the "flash step". But so far my recommendations for Anime/Manga (from what i've seen and read) are as follows:

1) Naruto: I don't care what anyone says, the plot his highly developed through learning of characters, goals, reasons for goals, stances on beliefs, views on society etc. topped off with a thorough explanation on how exactly they all have their abilities unlike say the likes of DBZ. The characters are funny, and range in personality, i'm also loving the fight scenes in this, most animes the charactrs will battle and get hit heaps of times, what i like in this anime is they have to not only be offensively strong but more defensive then anything as one stab could to their death, my favourite anime/manga.

2) One Piece: this is my second favourite of the manga i've read, one of the reasosn it's for its uniqueness in the whole "pirate" theme, it's hilarious to watch and read and is topped off with cool fight scenes, a lovable main character and the slow build of a team of friends, the plot is also extensive and well developed.

3) DBZ: growing up watching this series was amazing it use dot be my favourite, the fight scenes are fantastic, the action is great, the story isn't bad, and the characters are all well done. A big plus for this was the transformations IMO, they were great in that they were popular with the fans and different from any other series. A great anime to watch although it did die within GT.

4) Full Metal Alchemist: This will probs be ranked higher from me later, i've only read a couple of the manga chapters and although the lot was only just starting to get developed the story was good and it was an enjoyable read, although i have heard great things about it.

5) Fairy tail, i only read one chapter but it seemed funny and enjoyable to read, the main character seems lika Luffy spin off which is fun.

I need a new anime to watch, i've been watching Hellsing a little and i don't mind it but it doesn't really stand out as an anime for me, here are the animes i Like:

* Death Note

* Naruto

* One Piece

* DBZ

If you could recommend me a manga that has supernatural themes with action but also a good plot and good villains plz recommend it to me :)

One of my faves is a sports manga called Eyeshield 21.

It's about this high school loser named Kobayakawa Sena, he's been bullied for all his school life into doing favors for his bullies. However, after performing said errands over the years, his speed became top-notch and attracted the attention of the American Football team at his high school, which consists of a whopping two members. They recruit Sena, then the manga outlines the growth of the team as they compete in various American Football matches to reach the Christmas Bowl. It's a good read with likable characters, funny comedy and seriousness mixed in at the right times, and finished around a year ago or so with 333 chapters. Even if one isn't into football, I think they'll love Eyeshield 21 regardless.

One of my faves is a sports manga called Eyeshield 21.

It's about this high school loser named Kobayakawa Sena, he's been bullied for all his school life into doing favors for his bullies. However, after performing said errands over the years, his speed became top-notch and attracted the attention of the American Football team at his high school, which consists of a whopping two members. They recruit Sena, then the manga outlines the growth of the team as they compete in various American Football matches to reach the Christmas Bowl. It's a good read with likable characters, funny comedy and seriousness mixed in at the right times, and finished around a year ago or so with 333 chapters. Even if one isn't into football, I think they'll love Eyeshield 21 regardless.

That seems like an interesting manga. I'll put it with the sports.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to recommend the anime Darker Than Black.

[spoiler=Plot, taken from Wikipedia]Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The real stars disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people possessing various special abilities emerged, each capable of different supernatural feats - these are known as Contractors. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, which reacts to their activities. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals are known to murder in cold blood, smothering unnecessary emotions with logic and rationale. Their incredible abilities, however, are gained at the cost of their humanity - Contractors are thus named because of an involuntary compulsion to "pay the price" each time their power is used, which can range from eating particular foods and completing meaningless tasks, to self-harm and having their bodies change in peculiar ways. Various nations and organizations around the world train and utilize Contractors as spies and assassins, resulting in violent battles for valuable objects and information. Following the disastrous Heaven's War, United States lost her dominant position as superpower to a mysterious organization named Syndicate. The story revolves around a Chinese contractor codenamed Hei as he undertakes various espionage and assassination missions in Tokyo under the direction of the aforementioned Syndicate.

Hei, the main character, is the guy in my sig. You can watch the series on Funimation's Youtube channel. I'd probably put it under action.

My top three manga right now are:

Vinland Saga - Action/Historical

Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

Historie - Action/Historical

The story is about the boyhood of Eumenes, who would later become Alexander the Great's secretarial officer. One night he dreamed of a mysterious lady and the story begins.

Ares - Action

The story takes place in an era similar to that of ancient Rome in a country called Cronos. It follows a group known as the Temple Mercenaries. In particular, it is about Ares, Michael and Baroona, three young warriors with mysterious pasts and surpassing skills...

Vinland Saga is 68 chapters in with a 54 chapter prologue. Most of the action so far in in the prologue. Historie has a 34 chapter flash back starting at chapter 5 telling the past of Eumenes. Ares is is all about battles, war, and the friendship of the characters.

Welcome to the NHK (Drama, Comedy)

It's a conspiracy. And he, Satou Tatsuhiro, 22 years old, knows it. 3 years have passed since he found out, that the NHK (Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai) is behind it all, a secret company, whose only plan is to seclude him from the outside world and bring him misery and despair, basically making him a so called "Hikikomori", someone who never leaves the house and fears the contact with other people. Satou has no job, no friends, canceled university and lives his life as a NEET ("Not in Employment, Education or Training"). But one day, he get's offered a cure for his "disease": A strange young girl asks him to participate in a "project", that will cure him from all his fears. This, however, includes to go outside...

Welcome to the NHK is unique. It doesn't fit into any scheme, and yet it fits into nearly everything. It contains a lot of Drama and Comedy, yet it also has a Slice of Life touch, works with psychological problems and has some Romance in it as well. The focus lies on the characters, their development and relationship. And hell, I've never seen characters in an Anime who are that convincing. Everybody has mistakes, as real humans have, and you can see this from the very beginning. Each character acts with a purpose in mind, following their very own goal, but those aren't as apparent as you would think. The story, overall, is great and lives from the fleshed out characters that deliver it. Turns and twists can be found in every episode, and even though you sometimes get that "Slice of Life" feeling, it never get's the upper hand, letting you believe with ease that you have a continuous story in front of you, that has a beginning, a middle and an end. You also get to know a little bit about the human psyche, why people act how the do, and even bringing Freud in once in a while.

The art is okay I guess, I've never been into it that much, but it works here. What really stands out, however, is the score. From your typical cheary anime opening to very dramatic tunes, everything is included, and everything feels natural and really bumps up the atmosphere.

All I can say is: This is, in my opinion, the best Anime ever made, and I highly recommend watching it :)

Mahou Sensei Negima! [internatonal releases are called "Negima! Magister Negi Magi"]

(Action/Fantasy/Comedy/Harem/Romance/School Girl/Adventure, but is mainly Action)

[spoiler=Detailed Description]

A nine-year-old boy named Negi Springfield has just graduated at the top of his class from a magic academy in Wales. Upon graduation, all mages get placed into a real world job for at least a year and become a Magister Magi (Latin for "master mage") after completing said training. Since Negi's father (who, along with his mother, both disappeared before he was born) was the best mage ever, he's been training hard and can't wait to find out where he's been placed. his childhood friend, a girl named Anya, was placed as a fortune teller in London. Negi, however, must become an English Middle School English Teacher at an girls only school in Japan. His entire class is filled with people at least 5 years older than him, and hilarity ensues, but if you thought that was the entire plot, then allow me to say right now that this plot is a red herring.

Negi, as a western mage, must find a "partner" during his training. A partner's job is essentially to protect the wizard as he casts spells, as his spells stop instantly if he gets hit. Said partners also gain a boost from his magic, and a magical tool that gets created based on the partner's personalities and their compatability. However, even though his class has several magicians, princesses, several demons, a vampire, a robot, his descendant from the future, etc. (he doesn't learn about all of these right away, but this becomes so obvious at one point that one of the students eventually claims that nobody in their class could possibly be normal after all of the ridiculous things each student turned out to be by that point), he must pick carefully. Unless a mage is VERY strong, they can only have one partner. Furthermore, the magical contract that makes them his partner is sealed with a kiss, and there's a high chance of romance brewing from said contract being created. Luckily for him, being a child, he can make as many temporary contracts as he wants (he had 15 as of Chapter 291, just to drive that "he can make as many as he wants for now" point in) , but only until he gets older. Only the permanent ones would be a difficult choice.

Around Chapter 100, the plot finally becomes clear (while I say that, this series has tons of continuity lockout, IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO SKIP EVEN A SINGLE CHAPTER, EVEN IF YOU'VE SEEN THE ANIME, AS EVEN THE SMALLEST LINES OR DETAILS SEEM TO BECOME PLOT POINTS, for example: one character said that they couldn't think of any worries in what appeared to be a filler chapter that took place at a church confessions booth... 100+ chapters later, she is unaffected by a weapon that works based on one's regrets in life). Negi's father, the Thousand Master - Nagi Springfield, took part in a war 20 years prior to save the world of magic from what was essentially their version of God ("The Lifemaker"). However, his father didn't solve the underlying problem that made The Lifemaker want to destroy the world in the first place, which involves the inevitable collapse of the world. Negi must fix this, as the remnants of The Lifemaker's forces are trying to destroy the world again.

The writing is good, the story has almost nothing in the flaws department. Stuff is usually only elaborated on if it is important, so that's a plus. None of the plots drag on longer than necessary, but every arc that has been made so far has doubled the overall length of the manga due to the sheer amount of plot in here. Negi never seems to get significantly sidetracked from his two goals: Find his father and become a Magister Magi.

This series was written by the same person that made Love Hina, so they made sure to put romance in there. The original romantic subplots were simply red herrings, but eventually some students do legitimately fall in love with the cute little teacher.

Some people get overwhelmed by the amount of characters (even though each student has a chapter or two explaining them that seamlessly fits int the story), so since I'm recommending this manga, I thought it wold be a good idea to list who to pay attention to, as not all 31 of his students are important to the plot. The following students from his class become important (I'm deliberately excluding his non-students, as those are spoilers):

[spoiler=Said List]

Asuna

Konoka

Setsuna

Nodoka

Yue

Haruna

Ku Fei

Kazumi

Sayo

Kaede

Chisame

Chachamaru

Evangeline

Makie

Yuna

Akira

Ako

Natsumi

Hopefully, 18 is simpler to manage than 31.

IMO, this is the best manga I've ever read. It's definitely worth reading through all 300+ chapters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Many genres, most likely Action.)

It is 2015. 15 years ago, the Second Impact took place - a devastating "meteor crash" in Antarctica that melted all of its ice and instantly wiped off half of mankind and corrupted nature. Tokyo III, the new capital of Japan after the original Tokyo was submerged by the rising sea level, is assaulted by a giant behemoth codenamed Sachiel, one of the Angels ("Shito" in Japanese version), mysterious beasts invincible against all normal weapons, destined since the Second Impact to one day assault the city. The only thing that can stop them are the Evangelions, humanoid machines built by the organization NERV, with powers that match those of the Angels. Shinji Ikari (main character), 14 years old, is elected as the pilot of Evangelion-01, which has been in a hurry assigned to destroy Sachiel and bring back a short peace to Tokyo III until the fourth Angel strikes.

The story involves mild gore and some fan service (everyone whoops), a handful of plot devices named after Christian beliefs, badass characters like Gendo Ikari, Shinji's father, and tsundere girls. Perhaps most awesome of all is the plot itself, so interesting. A problem is that you can't understand everything even after watching up to episode 26, however. The last two episodes are crap and make no sense. Watch the original movie instead. But then again, the deepest thing here is that even if you look through the movie too, most likely you can't comprehend it still. This is due to the plot that is so confusing and complex. But it does give you a good view of human stupidity and all the other things people love.

Oh, and how could I forget? It has the awesomest OP ever in anime history. "Cruel Angel's Thesis".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFhPVAhV_o

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend My Girlfriend's A Geek. (I guess it's Romantic/Comedy/Slice of Life)

The story is about the misadventures of a college student, who was falling in love with a pretty girl two years his senior, while in a part-time job, only to find out his girlfriend is a fujoshi (a very, shall we say, distinct kind of geek girl), and so his torment begins.

I find it incredibly funny, rendered even more so if you are a fujoshi *cough*.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived