Spriters Society

Jappio

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1296665951' post='4981853']
What's wrong with using just the pencil tool? Is there a different tool he should be using? I mostly only use the pencil too...
[/quote]
Lol... I meant just doodling arond with it... Not doing pixel for pixel...

[quote name='The Cake Is A Lie' timestamp='1296670233' post='4982100']
Lol... I meant just doodling arond with it... Not doing pixel for pixel...
[/quote]What's wrong with doodling around? I bet that's sometimes how developers come up with new concepts. And, no I wasn't just doodling around I have a specific end goal in mind, however I am not sure that I can accomplish that or not as of now. Then again this is my first completely scratched sprite.

I thought you were meant to doodle around with it until you get a shape you liked, then erase dots so it looked clean.
Then again I'm not scratch artist.

Now, for that fakemon, it might need more... omph.
If this color scheme was it's only one, it might blend in to much.
Perhaps you should give it steel plates strapped to its side, or a helmet type plate, with another pallete.
I'm looking foward to the finished sprite :)

Doodling is definitely one method of going about spriting in the initial steps. Of course this whole conversation is moot as the original comment was made without realizing how far along the process the sprite was in. The comment was about it looking doodly as if the sprite was done.

Keep working on it slicer. Take your time, look to see what looks good and what looks bad. If it's bad, keep on working on it. I'll try and see if I can write up a proper critique for it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Making video is taking quite some time. So sadly I still have nothing to display really myself.

I am working bits and pieces on Super Poke World though. Maybe I'll have something done for that.

Making video is taking quite some time. So sadly I still have nothing to display really myself.

I am working bits and pieces on Super Poke World though. Maybe I'll have something done for that.

EDIT:

Looks like I actually just needed to make another dude and the video would have enough actually, so I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwje_mka-WM

Work on shading and texture is my major tip for it. I can see with the dithering you tried to follow the pattern you think you've seen in other metal textures, but it isn't that easy. Also the shades are a little too dark. Make sure you don't use just solid black borders either.

It's very plain too. It doesn't have much in the way of features.

Borders need touch ups too. More smooth round edges in a couple area could do some good.

[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1297453143' post='5002839']
Work on shading and texture is my major tip for it. I can see with the dithering you tried to follow the pattern you think you've seen in other metal textures, but it isn't that easy. Also the shades are a little too dark. Make sure you don't use just solid black borders either.
It's very plain too. It doesn't have much in the way of features.
Borders need touch ups too. More smooth round edges in a couple area could do some good.
[/quote]
It is Silver/Gold style, they only have 2 variants of the same color except for black and white...

[quote name='♪♫Crystal Star♫♪' timestamp='1297469113' post='5003340']
Homework. Pain in the @$$. Haven't gotten any spriting done yet...
Though I'm thinking about making a scratch sprite soon...... A Rapidash Evo... so flying horse with fire! Whoo!
[/quote]
Hell Pegasus! Epic win!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='swordfire206' timestamp='1298625414' post='5033090']
No one post splices?

[IMG]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9343/rhymachmoni.png[/IMG]

Rhyperior + Skarmory + Victini + Machamp

[B] The main problem with this sprite is that is very heavy on Skarmoy. VERY heavy. Yes, it has Victini ears, but that in itself poses a problem. The ears faces right while the face faces left. A rather awkward pose. lso, those ears have unrecolored borders.
Back to the original problem, yes, I see Machamps belt, but not much else. The belt causes another problem. It, in it's current pose, grips the wing. Therefore, Skarmory wouldn't be able to fly. But that's just me.
Could use a LOT of improvement. This splice calls for scratching. Try to make Machamps belt fit around Skarmory's waist more. Maybe give The splice Rhyperior's color scheme. Mainly because I personally can't see any Rhyperior.[/B]

[IMG]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9378/scigadra.png[/IMG]

Scizor + Gligar + Kingdra

[B]This sprite currently has no color issues. However, the alignment of the pieces is bad, to say the least.
In Gligar, the wings are attached to it's arms. Add in Scizor, and the wings arn hanging lose, possibly resigning Gligar the flying property. Perhaps more scratching is in order. Either making the wings extend up to fit with Scizor's arms, or scratch Scizor's arms to fit Gligar's wings.
Currently, Kingdra's fin is out of place. It can hardly be noticed, and it's color doesn't suit the purpley-pink shade of the rest of the sprite. Maybe I lied earlier :P
Personally, I would put the fin on top of the head. I would scratch the fin so it looked natural, like a mohawk. Might look silly, but not as badly placed as this.
[/quote]
Hope that helps a bit. Hope I wasn't to harsh....... I'm weird when it comes to critiquing.[/B]

@Crystal: I think the Victini Ears where'nt serving as ears in that splice. It was probarly some cool sort of a head declration... But I agree with the Machamp belt... I lol'd xD

The other splice was pretty meh, the Kingra tail was oddly placed, and it don't fit.

well, with the belt, it's around Skamory's waist, right? However, in it's current position, it also attaches itself to the wing AND the waist. Therefore, in order to fly, Skarmory would risk hurting itself, due to not being able to flap it's wings freely. It's a concept.
Oh... The tail..... NEW PROBLEM!
You can't see it. maybe Scratching (i like scratch) it to make it visible.....

I need to see if I can find a scratch tut for you. It could help. Not that I'm a good scratcher anyway.... :P

Gawd, finally back...

Well, I created a very, very bad splice. Its a fusion of (points to spoiler in siggy) except Ditto.

[img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5936/teamsplice.png[/img]

Jolteon - Base
Beautifly - Sucking thing and feelers
Tynamo - Colour and yelow stripe.
Cofrigrigus - Dark Aura and 'forehead'
Zebstrika - Tail and spiky back

Maybe I'm not ready. Basically its legs are made from Dark Aura.

Let's see what I can critique on this splice....

It's an interesting concept. I'll give you that. However, you have too many parts and bits thrust on the small base of Jolteon. A bigger base would be ideal.
The dark arua is rather..... sketchy. It looks rather messy. Also, around the..... umm.... sucking thingie... it seems wrong.
The average ammount of your dark arua and it's placement suggests around 2-3 pixels from the border of the pokemon. So, in the centre of the sucking thingy, we should see a small blob of clear.
The legs of dark arua are OK in placement and size, but I just don't like it. I suppose hanging around the sprite threads of Serebii makes me a shading freak :P
The yellow ruff of Jolteon looks kinda messy now, and not just because of the dark arua. It just seems different. Probably the color scheme of it now.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
*to self* WHY do I take critquing SO seriously?

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1302580205' post='5132541']
Ironically I blame W/B. My life had been taken by them.

Also laziness. My life also was also taken by that.
[/quote]
Then don't play W/B. The older ones are better (my opinion).

Laziness. My life has been taken by that in 2 years now.

I've started to do a Minecraft Texture Pack. Fun. I'm still making the blocks. I've made... Just around 25%, probarly less. Then I got to make the mobs, and sprite the icons... Fun. *sarcasm*

Archived