Spriters Society

Jappio

Continuing on my scratch sprite, I've decided to forgo the "traditional" animal/furry look of the 'Eons and scratched on some metal plating, like some of you suggested. Please keep in mind this is still a work in progress.
[IMG]http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Slicer244/steeleon.png[/IMG]

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rabbit:

The head needs to be lowered. It's neck is a giant cone and it has no shoulders.

The stomach needs shading. Only having one shade to that red makes it look very flat.

The shading on the arm seems almost random. Shading needs to be curved in the right spots to show the shape, not just be there.

There could be some added shading on feet, tail, and hair fluff too.

Smooth and round the edges just a little better.

The borders need to be black in some areas. Having only one border color doesn't happen.

The Eeveelution:

I'll ignore how you have no shading or coloring at the moment.

The shaping to it is really rigid and all over the place. The body just doesn't follow a normal shape. The neck seems to be too long, or at least the head is too far off from the body. Moving it down and right some could help.

The front legs I don't quite get. It's not overlapping on the body at all, which is should. The little metal piece with the jewel, I personal think it should be attached on the knee cap rather than on its side. The back legs also have some weird position issues.

The top of its head seems flat, and the body seems long compared to a usual Eeveelution.

------------------------------------------------

I know it's been a bit, but some time ago I mentioned how I was working on a scratching tutorial. Well I finally took the time to go back to that in finish up a sort of intro. Now this isn't the finished product. Before I move onto the real meat and bones I wanted to sort of post this video and see what you guys think, a rough draft.

There's some extra fluff and added images in this intro just because I don't have anything to show off otherwise. Less padding will be in the actual learning videos since I'll have the actual sprite making to show off.

So any comments or tips will be appreciated. Hopefully the other parts won't be as difficult to edit as this one so they can get done in a timely manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqCERlVrAY

-------------------------------

Oh and I did some work with some Fakemon. Some of this isn't new, but a few tweaks here and there.

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Profit_Jappio/3rdGenFakemonSheet4-1.png[/IMG]

"The Eeveelution:

I'll ignore how you have no shading or coloring at the moment.

The shaping to it is really rigid and all over the place. The body just doesn't follow a normal shape. The neck seems to be too long, or at least the head is too far off from the body. Moving it down and right some could help.

The front legs I don't quite get. It's not overlapping on the body at all, which is should. The little metal piece with the jewel, I personal think it should be attached on the knee cap rather than on its side. The back legs also have some weird position issues."
Thank you for your thorough examination. As was stated before, the metal plates are supposed to look a bit whimsical, I wasn't going for tight-fitting armor. Many of these things are I feel, are the fault of bad positioning on my part. The plate with the jewel was supposed to be over the knee 'cuase I thought that would look cool too.

I've just recently ben accepted into the club.
The Eeeveelution is a bit flat. No shading at all, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say you aren't done yet. The metal seems a bit jagged, and broken. A little on the rocky side. It needs to be smoother. Take the antena off, it sort of ruins it. The legs and tail placement make it seem like it's at an impossible angle, especially without shading. Either that or you put it at the angle on purpose, but that doesn't look good. Metal doesn't bend that way, even as armour. the tail is bent oddly. Change the bend or make it bigger and smoother. Though, I like the idea and design.
Jappio, your sprites are great as usual, but I can't help noticing the 3rd lizard wizard thing's head and hat is a bit flat. Maybe it's just the hat, so try unflattening the hat. I hope to see more of your scratch tutorial.
Anyway, here's a scratch of my own:
[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/x1hjr8.png[/IMG]
I called it Jellshock, because what else would someone call a plain ole jelly fish. I know they don't shock, they sting, but still. Ordinary Electric/Water type jellyfish. Didn't shade too much because of transluscentness, which I found was a bit hard to do in paint. I made two versions, a red one and a blue one because I couldn't decide which colour would look better on the jellyfish. It didn't come out as well as I hoped, so I'll fix it up later after some CnC.

[quote name='Slicer224' timestamp='1304708796' post='5191465']
Please keep in mind this is still a work in progress.
[/quote]

[quote name='Ed00001' timestamp='1304906255' post='5197781']
I've just recently ben accepted into the club.
The Eeeveelution is a bit flat. No shading at all, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say you aren't done yet. The metal seems a bit jagged, and broken. A little on the rocky side. It needs to be smoother. Take the antena off, it sort of ruins it. The legs and tail placement make it seem like it's at an impossible angle, especially without shading. Either that or you put it at the angle on purpose, but that doesn't look good. Metal doesn't bend that way, even as armour. the tail is bent oddly. Change the bend or make it bigger and smoother. Though, I like the idea and design.[/quote]

Just to affirm, this is a work in progress. Thank you for your input.

[/quote]

The face is looking towards us too much. The top right eye and the mouth should move down and left some to make it look the head is more titled.

The shading on the main body seems lacking. Make it more prominent in both color and area it takes up.

The pink one looks better in my opinion since the contrast looks nice compared to the one where there isn't any.

The tongue could use some shading.

[/quote]

The blue one looks like it has the same colour as the border, which looks lacking. The eyes of both looks in different directions, which seems weird. One of the eyes looks really big while the other is small.

Some Paint-based stuff:

[IMG]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4113/pokemonspritebattles.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8739/lucarillot.png[/IMG]

[quote name='♥ D.A._ϯɨå Håʀʀɨbel ♥' timestamp='1305550719' post='5212741']
Sense are original Spriter hasn't been on a while, so Dragon Lords needs a new one. We are doing a Dragon Cave style Dragon for well Dragon Cave.
[/quote]

Is this some sort of advertisement or something? Are you even part of this club? I'm so confused.

[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1305657750' post='5215071']
I'm pretty sure it's advertisement since your trying to get someone from her to join your club.

Also in general if you aren't a member of this club so you shouldn't be posting here.
[/quote]
*cough*pleaseratemyfakemon*cough*

Just as a warning to you all. I got some this convention thing I'm going to this weekend, so I probably won't be around or anything like that. May my absence not sadden you too much, I will return. I will also always be with you, in your hearts.

Before I go, I'll drop some critique on the little dragon guy Firetruck.

The first thing I noticed was tat it didn't look like a Pokemon. The style is off. The size is small compared to one. The coloring isn't right, a bit dull perhaps? Another thing is that's a bit boring. It just seems like a generic dragon. It doesn't have any contrast or features to make it seem like it's a Pokemon.

The claws are just lines when is weird. It lacks a jaw/mouth. Most of the neck being a straight 45 degree line is a little weird.

I don't think the pose works well for it. Typically the back isn't visible like that from the front view. In a few cases it can be, but it's rare and still seems off.

The tail's proportions seem off. It's really skinny and small. Since it's so much closer to the viewer then the rest, that should warrant it to be a bit bigger. Then again maybe I'm only thinking this because of the sprite's overall small size.

[color="#4169E1"][font="Century Gothic"]Hmmn... On the fakemon, I don't quite like the color scheme, but that's just me and my color likes/dislikes.
Also, the leg seems a bit oddly proportioned. It looks like it's tucking it underneath it butt, but then it's foot appears beneath the tail. I think it's mainly the shading that gives it the disproportioned effect. It looks a bit bright.....
And, as Jappio mentioned, the tail is a little off. Mainly I notice it is going in a nice curve and suddenly straightens out. Just a bit weird.

[IMG]http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae312/Fault_Line02/E41Shauntal.png[/IMG]
One of the "panels" I sometimes make. Apparently they are "awesome" and "wicked"
Yeah right! All it takes is C+P[/font][/color]

Fun how everyone skips the [b]"Good Feedback / Bad Feedback"[/b] rule and believes theyre allmighty because they give trollish CnC. I dont say that because just my Fakemon was given that, Ive acctually been looking through the CnC some pages back... Remember to say as much good about a sprite/splice as much as you do geek feedback. [s]Or die.[/s]

[quote name='Firetruck' timestamp='1306082921' post='5225252']
Fun how everyone skips the [b]"Good Feedback / Bad Feedback"[/b] rule and believes theyre allmighty because they give trollish CnC. I dont say that because just my Fakemon was given that, Ive acctually been looking through the CnC some pages back... Remember to say as much good about a sprite/splice as much as you do geek feedback. [s]Or die.[/s]
[/quote]

Are you referring to my CnC? Saying 'good' about a sprite isn't required for critique. Compliments when not done right lead to inflated egos. Also it's hardly trollish. I'm not giving it to make you mad or anything like that. I'm giving it so you know what I think is done wrong and needs improvement. Maybe I'll try including more compliments in the future. Yet I'd rather be tough than soft.

---------------------------

Solicity, I can't make comments on the box itself since normal art type stuff isn't my thing. This club isn't really about those type of things either so you would have better luck finding tips on it elsewhere.

As for the splices, I'm going to cover some more basic stuff your messing up in each rather than covering specifics:

[size=large][u]Recolor your Borders:[/u][/size] Around the edges of the splices you have an issue I find very annoying. You have a border color that does not match what it surrounds. For example, a dark blue color does not work as a border for something that is orange. Chances are you most likely didn't change the old color. You have to make sure you change things like borders. A full recolor is required for the proper effect.

In general some of the splices aren't recolored at all and look really mix-matched. Very few attempts in some situations to make them blend and look like they are part of each other?

----------------------------

Crystal Stars, I'm not even going to comment on your thing. As you said it was just a little C+P. Not really anything to say if you did right or wrong spriting wise.

Put together part 2 of the scratching tutorial. Still not up to the true meat and bones yet, but it's getting there. All useful info I feel though.

Of course any comments are appreciated. I'd rather know something is wrong with my teaching method now rather than later.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAggLqfync"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAggLqfync[/url]

[quote name='Jappio' timestamp='1306363405' post='5231850']
Put together part 2 of the scratching tutorial. Still not up to the true meat and bones yet, but it's getting there. All useful info I feel though.

Of course any comments are appreciated. I'd rather know something is wrong with my teaching method now rather than later.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAggLqfync"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAggLqfync[/url]
[/quote]
The only thing I learned in this video was that your voice is pretty awesome. I didnt learn a s*** about spriting, but I liked it xD

I don't get why my voice gets compliments so often. I never thought it special and no one I know has ever really complimented on it. I suppose I'm flattered, but at the same time confused?

As for learning about spriting. I know it seems boring and useless or obvious, but concept and planning are very important. It's something a lot of people skip or don't think to do. To brain storm and sketch out ideas, to do a little research, to pick a style. They are all steps that can greatly help out any spriter.

It's funny because Part 3 won't even be into the full on spriting yet. I'll be covering MsPaint and how it works. Part 4 though will finally jump into the spriting itself.

Archived