Mahou Sensei Negima! Magister Negi Magi

burnpsy

[quote name='Manga Fox']Ten-year-old prodigy Negi Springfield, has just graduated from magic academy, and in order to become a master mage he is sent to Japan to teach English at an all-girls middle school. But Negi has a bigger dream than just becoming a master mage. He wants to find his missing father, "The Thousand Master", the strongest mage that has ever lived. And he soon finds that searching for his father wont be as easy as he first hoped. In fact, it pushes him and his students into life-or-death battles that decides the fate of millions.

And throughout all this, Negi finds out some of the secrets hidden in Mahora Acedemy Class 3-A. Are these girls, truly, what they seem?[/quote]

[center][IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2lkfi55.jpg[/IMG]
(Picture Courtesy of TV Tropes)[/center]

Mahou Sensei Negima! is essentially the embodiment of the [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreShift"]Genre Shift[/url] trope, and one of the few positive outcomes of [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExecutiveMeddling"]Executive Meddling[/url] (due to [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WriterRevolt"]Writer Revolt[/url]).

Basically, the writer had just finished writing Love Hina, a Harem manga. His bosses wanted him to make another, but he wanted to make an Action series. So he disguised his new Action series as a Harem manga and slowly transformed it into an Action series by slowly increasing the amount of fight scenes and serious problems that present themselves to the characters.

The result of all of that is quite a good manga, if I do say so myself - he even did the research when it came to the Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and Ancient Japanese used to cast spells. I'd honestly recommend it to anyone.

Has anyone else read it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first anime stopped following the manga completely after episode 8 or so. The second anime was based on a spin-off manga and strayed immediately. So the manga will be completely different if you ever decide to read it.

I've seen the entirety of both anime and the entire manga (so far).

[quote name='DeathSDelano' timestamp='1284342848' post='4622742']
OK i'll give it a read later. but ya i liked anime and it didn't bore me like some other animes <.<
[/quote]

Was there anything in particular in the anime that you liked? I liked the anime as well, but I can't quite figure out why...

Um.. i have a long list of animes i liked from almost every genre except sports genre (not interested in them)

but anyways out what im watching right now the one i like most is High school of the dead. (im watching like 8+ ongoing animes at the time) heck i'm not very picky i am watching Hime Chen! Otogi Chikku Idol that i don't think many guys would be able to watch

so ya cant really say why i liked it either though i'm starting to animes like above and others. The action/adventure(prefer magic, sci-fi, and slice of life more) animes are starting to bore me as they are almost the same thing and i don't like trying to eat though 50+ eps (i prefer 12-26) the only one thats 50+ im watching is shippuden n fairy tail because i've been keepin up with it.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Dark Armed Duelist' timestamp='1285263135' post='4648105']
Currently following the manga, done reading volume 4.

Simply 1 of my favourite manga's so far. I love the characters and the fight scenes so far.
[/quote]

Volume 4's... The first 1/3 of the Kyoto Arc, right? Well, the fight scenes will only get better from there.

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE THIS MANGA. It's maybe my favorite under Bleach (guilty pleasure, I must say), One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter X Hunter. SUCH CHARACTERIZATION!! (Almost) EVERYBODY IS AWESOME!! It made me feel less sleazy for reading it to get my own sick jollies! I could gush about this for days. Favorite character is Chachamaru and favorite arc was the last portion of the Mahora Festival arc. I'd also add that when I heard they'd actually made some GOOD OVAs based upon this thing, finally, I felt like crying. But I didn't because it would be weird.

So yeah, you could say I like it.

[quote name='Weather Report - Stand' timestamp='1286058808' post='4674512']
I LOVE THIS MANGA. It's maybe my favorite under Bleach (guilty pleasure, I must say), One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter X Hunter. SUCH CHARACTERIZATION!! (Almost) EVERYBODY IS AWESOME!! It made me feel less sleazy for reading it to get my own sick jollies! I could gush about this for days. Favorite character is Chachamaru and favorite arc was the last portion of the Mahora Festival arc. I'd also add that when I heard they'd actually made some GOOD OVAs based upon this thing, finally, I felt like crying. But I didn't because it would be weird. So yeah, you could say I like it.
[/quote]

OMG, someone else who's actually keeping up completely with the series. O.o

But yeah, they need to make a PROPER anime for this series. It deserves that much...

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1286063767' post='4674700']
I seem to always find the spin off manga, so maybe you could drop a bro a link? ;DAnime versions are pretty cool.
[/quote]

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/mahou_sensei_negima/?no_warning=1

There, all 303 current chapters.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1286122147' post='4676143']
If I recall correctly, it's a pretty long manga, and still going on. I quit at like... the start of the field trip saga. I thought it was okay, but overall didn't like being hit by lots and lots of characters all at once.
[/quote]
Dammit, you stopped right before it started getting great. Over time, every character gets their own time in the limelight, so it gets less overwhelming after a while. And you bet your pokemon-related avatar and signature, it's still going, they're coming to the close of their second really, really huge arc now. I'd really suggest you get back to it sometime, because the series REALLY gets amazing at the end of the field trip arc, and throughout the SINGLE-LONGEST SCHOOL FESTIVAL ARC IN ALL OF MANGA (I believe, seeing as it was NEARLY 100 chapters long and covered one whole week with some intense time-traveling shenanigans). Yep, I sure try to stay on top of things like this.

On top of what Weather Report said, about half of the girls are tossed to the curb when they create Ala Alba. A bunch of those girls are simply not important and exist only to increase the class size to something common.

As long as you remember these characters, you're fine:

[spoiler=Important Protagonists]
Negi
Asuna
Konoka
Setsuna
Nodoka
Yue
Haruna
Ku Fei
Kazumi
Sayo
Kotarou
Kaede
Chisame
Chachamaru
[/spoiler]

This is much less than what one would expect at the point you stopped at. Everyone else is only situationally important.

I think the fact that I had to keep Negi's 'class roster' page from the first chapter open and kept having to refer to it was kind of a turn off to me for the school trip. <_<

From what I remember of what I did read, it was a decent manga. I rather disliked the ending of the Baka Rangers plot where...

[spoiler=lawl, spoiler]The class had the lowest score out of all the other classes, then suddenly with the addition of the 6 stupidest girls in the class they got the highest score. It was so damn cliched and ridiculous. I mean, I would have been fine if their combined weight just lifted to them "not last place", but to go from last to first was just really unbelievable.[/spoiler]

Overall though, the upcoming arc with the school trip felt like a huge time sink to me, at a time when I didn't really need to be sinking more time into other things. If I ever get more time I think I'll look into it again but for right now I'll hold back on it.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1286143439' post='4677246']
[spoiler=lawl, spoiler]The class had the lowest score out of all the other classes, then suddenly with the addition of the 6 stupidest girls in the class they got the highest score. It was so damn cliched and ridiculous. I mean, I would have been fine if their combined weight just lifted to them "not last place", but to go from last to first was just really unbelievable.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

[spoiler=Well, that's not nearly as stupid as you claim.]Uhh... the 5 stupidest and Konoka. Konoka was actually quite high up there if you saw his grading chart thing from the start of that 5-part chapter.

Also, replacing five 0s with even something like a 50 would have a ridiculously huge effect, especialy since Konoka's usual 90s were added as well. It wasn't that much of an unbelievable feat.[/spoiler]

In any case, after the pillow fight ends in the school trip arc, it's pretty much just Negi, Asuna, [color="#FFFFFF"]Nodoka[/color], Konoka and Setsuna with [color="#FFFFFF"]Mana, Ku Fei, Yue and Kaede[/color] simply holding the enemy's reinforcements off. So if you ever decide to continue, you won't need the class register nearly as much - there's only about 3 or 4 times when the characters I didn't list in my previous post are important, and only for a few pages [color="#FFFFFF"]aside from Misora and Mana, until they get stowaways in a later arc where they travel to the Magical World[/color].

[quote name='burnpsy' timestamp='1286144284' post='4677292']
[spoiler=Well, that's not nearly as stupid as you claim.]Uhh... the 5 stupidest and Konoka. Konoka was actually quite high up there if you saw his grading chart thing from the start of that 5-part chapter.

Also, replacing five 0s with even something like a 50 would have a ridiculously huge effect, especialy since Konoka's usual 90s were added as well. It wasn't that much of an unbelievable feat.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Was that really how it went? Must have missed that exact detail. Eh, thanks for clearing that up for me then. I don't quite remember who Konoka was, since it was about a year (maybe longer?) since I last read it. *shrug*

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1286147112' post='4677442']
Was that really how it went? Must have missed that exact detail. Eh, thanks for clearing that up for me then. I don't quite remember who Konoka was, since it was about a year (maybe longer?) since I last read it. *shrug*
[/quote]

Konoka's his other roommate and the dean's granddaughter. That's as much as you know to the point that you read.

• 2 weeks later...
I did too. The giant sword attacks, the random stripping, the hilariously random new ability... and the best part was that the chapter did NOT end with 'The author will be taking a break next week to conduct research.' YES!! It's funny, because this is one of the few stories that does that almost every week nowadays. And yet, it feels WORTH the wait, if not more... then again, I'm gushing. Why am I gushing and rambling?

[quote name='Weather Report - Stand' timestamp='1286917687' post='4699668']
I did too. The giant sword attacks, the random stripping, the hilariously random new ability... and the best part was that the chapter did NOT end with 'The author will be taking a break next week to conduct research.' YES!! It's funny, because this is one of the few stories that does that almost every week nowadays. And yet, it feels WORTH the wait, if not more... then again, I'm gushing. Why am I gushing and rambling?
[/quote]

That entire post of yours also captures my opinion of it quite nicely.

Also, someone noted elsewhere that there was phallic-shaped darkness covering the appropriate area on the random stripping panel. I can't tell if that was a coincidence or not... but regardless, that was a funny censor. xD

I also agree about the whole research weeks being worth it thing. The RAWs for the next chapter even conveniently come out tomorrow.

My second favorite manga.

Would be my first, if Hyaate hadn´t gotten so awesome.

But yeah, I simply this series.

The anime itself, albeit meh compared to the manga, is still a good watch.

Nothing said of the greatest fightscene of all times, Negi vs. Jack Rakan.

Seriously,
MOST
EPIC
FIGHT
EVER

My favorite characters

1. Negi (which is rare, considering protagonists are hardly in my top 3)
2. Fate
3. Yue

NegixYueFTW

But yeah, Fate is most likely the single greatest villain ever, and I say this simply because he can cause the top half of a building to be desintegrated by simply wanting it too.

[quote name='Dark Link 401' timestamp='1287234016' post='4709052']
But yeah, Fate is most likely the single greatest villain ever, and I say this simply because he can cause the top half of a building to be desintegrated by simply wanting it too.
[/quote]

Meh, more like he'd pick it up with magic and swing it into his enemies, and somehow manipulate all of the glass windows into a stream of glass to strike down those who oppose...

But in opposition to your top 3, I have to post my own.
3. Chao
2. Ku Fei
1. Chachamaru

Seriously, they rock.

Archived