Rising sea levels Disproved updated with new argument!

JesusofChaos™

Is Global Warming real?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Global Warming real?

• Yes
    • No

I was listening to Kerrang Radio and they had the scientist on and suppose to have greenpeace. Greenpeace pulled out due to his argument being to good. He said that ice takes up more space than the water so when the ice melts it is actual taking up less space than before so sea levels will go down rather than up! What do you think

No it's not. Water and Ice are the same things, just one is frozen. For example, if you're freezing a tray of ice, and you fill up the square with water, when you come back a few hours later, there is still the same amount of water in the cube.

When the ice melts, it dosen't disappear, it joins the rest of the water in our oceans, or sometimes can be evaporated and fall to land via rain. This water, slowly but surely, gets back to the ocean, sometimes be evaporating again and falling into rivers and streams, or simply landing in the ocean in the first place.

That scientist fails at science

EDIT: To answer the poll, yes, it is real.

^ No, he's not.

the ice takes up space so surely when the ice melts it just fills up the space the melted ice left

Fill up a glass of water and put a piece of ice in it? What do you notice? There's a little bit poking out at the top, isn't there? Yes, the ice fills up what it left, but there's that left over, where does it go? On top of course. It's exactly the same with iceburgs and the icecaps, and when these go on top the sea level rises.

Seriously. It's not that hard to understand.

:lol: Iceburgs don't melt like that. If the bottom of the iceburg did melt, what was above the water would "fall" and become a new iceburg, so to speak, and the top of it very top of it, will still poke out above the waterline, and it would melt continuously until it disappeared.

What a real iceburg does is melt away at the water line, to make a sort of "hourglass" shape, before eventually losing it's balance, and tipping over, then the "hourglass process" would start all over again, and eventually you've got a pretty messed up shape of an iceburg.

How do I know all this? I did a two-term-long (6 month) project on iceburgs in Grade 8 and watched a documentary about "The Iceburg that sunk the Titantic".

I love iceburgs, they're cool, fascinating and sexy at the same time. 8) :lol:

No it's not. Water and Ice are the same things' date=' just one is frozen. For example, if you're freezing a tray of ice, and you fill up the square with water, when you come back a few hours later, there is still the same amount of water in the cube.

When the ice melts, it dosen't disappear, it joins the rest of the water in our oceans, or sometimes can be evaporated and fall to land via rain. This water, slowly but surely, gets back to the ocean, sometimes be evaporating again and falling into rivers and streams, or simply landing in the ocean in the first place.

Way to pay attention in grade 6 science, when water freezes it expands, meaning it gets bigger.

No it's not. Water and Ice are the same things' date=' just one is frozen. For example, if you're freezing a tray of ice, and you fill up the square with water, when you come back a few hours later, there is still the same amount of water in the cube.

Just chance Frunk to Flame Dragon, and thats how I feel.

That scientist is an Effing noob. Thats the DUMBEST logic I have ever heard. Its been said, all the ice ENTERING THE WATER IS FROM ABOVE THE SEA WATER ITSELF, FROM CANADA, GREENLAND, RUSSIA, AND THE LIKE. Just because H2O decreases in size when it melts, does not mean that the water ABOVE the ice cap flowing into it will not affect it.

I want to punch a baby in the face after reading that....

I mean... I want to punch my wall.. yeah... My wall....

That scientist is an Effing noob. Thats the DUMBEST logic I have ever heard. Its been said' date=' all the ice ENTERING THE WATER IS FROM ABOVE THE SEA WATER ITSELF, FROM CANADA, GREENLAND, RUSSIA, AND THE LIKE. Just because H2O decreases in size when it melts, does not mean that the water ABOVE the ice cap flowing into it will not affect it.

[/quote']

Then perhaps later...CHEESE! for EVERYONE!!! :P

Well, I don't know which is the truth...cuz I'm not paid to think :P or am i O_o

That scientist is an Effing noob. Thats the DUMBEST logic I have ever heard. Its been said' date=' all the ice ENTERING THE WATER IS FROM ABOVE THE SEA WATER ITSELF, FROM CANADA, GREENLAND, RUSSIA, AND THE LIKE. Just because H2O decreases in size when it melts, does not mean that the water ABOVE the ice cap flowing into it will not affect it.

[/quote']

Then perhaps later...CHEESE! for EVERYONE!!! :P

Well, I don't know which is the truth...cuz I'm not paid to think :P or am i O_o

You think because you can. Or perhaps you don't because you don't have to. If you think enough, you'll find out you know a lot. More than you know. :P

I have been thinking about this long and hard and i have realised something if the iceburgs are floating (which i think they are correct me if im wrong) then the melting of the ice at the top will causes the iceburg to float higher in the water. This means that it displaces less water. The melted ice fills this void making the sea levels stay the same. so i think that the scientist may be right unless someone can prove this wrong

ok guys science-

Ice is Densier then Water so it therfore is bigger and therfore it takes more space. but still Global Warming is happining due to the fact that the CO2 bieng emittied from factories and stuff is making earth hotter and hotter but that deosn't mean that the whole earth will be covered with water some parts will remain and lets just hope that part will have YuGiOh and Internet.

Archived